• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

MiscastDice got banned...

SarahAlex · 29940

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #120 on: July 11, 2008, 07:42:13 PM
Things are beeing talked (about a poll for example). It's why we'd just like you to be patient and calm down a little bit in the meantime. Yes it takes some time, but things need to be discussed (between the staff members) before taking any decision. We want to do the best as possible.

I personally am tired of all that and I'm trying to do my best to find a way to make things go better, but I can't do it alone, it's why we (the staff) are discussing about many differents things related to the forum.

Offline Belle & Sebastian

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #121 on: July 11, 2008, 10:31:08 PM
this is awesome!
everything a topic of this nature is being closed by staff, a new one is popping out , HAHA!

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #122 on: July 12, 2008, 12:49:00 AM
In fact, this topic IS quite off topic already and should probably be closed...

I suggest using a more suitable place to discuss anything further?

Or has anyone still something to say about the MiscastDice issue?

This is my administrator color.

Offline MiscastDice

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #123 on: July 12, 2008, 01:20:51 AM
Quote from: "Hypno"
In fact, this topic IS quite off topic already and should probably be closed...

I suggest using a more suitable place to discuss anything further?

Or has anyone still something to say about the MiscastDice issue?

A more suitable place that, itself, will be locked?  :lol:

Offline Matilda in Oz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #124 on: July 12, 2008, 03:53:39 AM
Quote from: "MillieQOF"

EDIT:
Quote from: "MiscastDice"
http://www.x-freaks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=43574#43574

It's ok if you're scared off by this, I never meant to be your friend anyways.

I thought that the purpose of joining a forum is to make friends with other people who share a common interest. May I ask, that if you are not here to make friends, what are your reasons for being in this forum?

Offline Belle & Sebastian

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #125 on: July 12, 2008, 07:06:50 AM
Quote from: "Matilda in Oz"
I thought that the purpose of joining a forum is to make friends with other people who share a common interest. May I ask, that if you are not here to make friends, what are your reasons for being in this forum?

hot about getting information and exchanging opinions?

Offline MiscastDice

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #126 on: July 12, 2008, 07:19:48 AM
Quote from: "le.pilote"

hot about getting information and exchanging opinions?

I don't think some people want to do that either, at least here. They'd rather give their own opinions as THE TRUTH and make everyone else shut up or else, which is one of our primary problems as of late.

By the way, WHY has this spammer http://www.x-freaks.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10952 been allowed to register when my roommate candied_robot hasn't even gotten his approval after signing up more than a week and a half ago?

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #127 on: July 12, 2008, 08:51:36 AM

Discussion, information and, of course, also making friends. However, this does not mean I want to make friends with everyone. It's impossible for someone to like everyone.

I don't think some people want to do that either, at least here. They'd rather give their own opinions as THE TRUTH and make everyone else shut up or else, which is one of our primary problems as of late.

This was one of our problems several months ago. This hasn't happened again. The recent closing of threads doesn't apply to this since they contained the same information.
You, however, don't seem to be here to discuss or make friends. You only try to make more trouble and see faults in everything we write - and I will do my very best to disprove you with everything you can come up with until you can say no more.
What you CAN do is to join the discussions normally without insulting anyone or posting provoking pictures or breaking anymore rules. That's what almost everyone else who's been in this discussion and left it has done, except for those who left the board. And I don't see them complaining.

By the way, WHY has this spammer http://www.x-freaks.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10952 been allowed to register when my roommate candied_robot hasn't even gotten his approval after signing up more than a week and a half ago?

I can't answer this since I'm not an admin, but my guess is that maybe they're been unsure because the person in question had "robot" in their name?
You could've sent a nice PM to Hypno regarding this and I'm sure he would've fixed it at once.
Why post it here?

Offline SarahAlex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
Reply #128 on: July 12, 2008, 10:13:43 AM
You, however, don't seem to be here to discuss or make friends.

Not exactly. MiscastDice and I met here and I dare say we became very good friends, though it all began by addressing me as "Sarah f****n' Alex". :-D

SarahAlex - the devil's advocate

Offline MiscastDice

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #129 on: July 12, 2008, 10:18:42 AM
Quote from: "SarahAlex"
You, however, don't seem to be here to discuss or make friends.

Not exactly. MiscastDice and I met here and I dare say we became very good friends, though it all began by addressing me as "Sarah f****n' Alex". :-D

:D I remember that!  8)

Offline X-J

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #130 on: July 12, 2008, 10:31:20 AM
http://www.x-freaks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=43574#43574

It's ok if you're scared off by this, I never meant to be your friend anyways.

Now here's a rude comment bordering on cruelty. I personally would dismiss a mod who talks back like this and who, allegedly, has made at least one member leave by his/her actions.

1. Respect the other users, the moderators and the administrators. Personal offences are not tolerated. Also, don’t go out of your way to find something to be offended over. If you think you are being harassed or stalked by another member in any way, contact one of the administrators.

Could the forum management please ensure that the rules constructed be obeyed? Mature behaviour in a mod wouldn't hurt, you know.

By the way, have you ever heard of "fair use"? I'm referring to this rule:

Pictures that are under copyright are allowed to be posted on the forum, as long as they add this to their post: „This/these images are posted under the fair rights agreement. Copyright belongs to the respective owners.“ This includes scans of magazines and photo books not available from official stores any more (they are only available from second-hand stores/auction sites/etc). This rule doesn't apply to signatures and avatars.

Fair use doctrine states that:

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections and , the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include:

the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
the nature of the copyrighted work;
the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.[1]

So, what counts as a copyright infringement is to deliberately gain profit by the copying, by repeating too much a portion of it "as is", and also by not putting its context in a new light. Please read more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

So, I believe that if I, for example, scan a Yoshiki picture off a magazine and then make a parody of it or construct an argument around it, I certainly am not infringing any copyright. But I would infringe the copyright if (1.) I collected all or most of the pictures the studio took that day, (2.) displayed them or any one of them without any novelty of context, i.e., if I did not use them for a creative purpose, or (3.) if I tried to gain monetary profit from them.

Here's a video I encourage ALL the parties to watch:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7Q25-S7jzgs

I hope the forum staff takes heed of this post.

Only what is in motion can rest."
-Martin Heidegger

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #131 on: July 12, 2008, 11:02:42 AM
That was probably because he either entered a wrong e-mail or the confirmation mail went to his spambox or got deleted. If you have trouble registering, then you should contact me or any other admin.

This is my administrator color.

Offline Matilda in Oz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #132 on: July 12, 2008, 12:45:30 PM

This was one of our problems several months ago. This hasn't happened again. The recent closing of threads doesn't apply to this since they contained the same information.
You, however, don't seem to be here to discuss or make friends. You only try to make more trouble and see faults in everything we write - and I will do my very best to disprove you with everything you can come up with until you can say no more.

I thought this was a really funny joke when I first read it because it's such a contradiction. Great sense of humour! But reading it again, I see no smilie, no wink. All I see is a mod openly challenging a member.

*sigh*

Edited to add: If I may make a suggestion; to fight aggression with aggression usually leads nowhere but to more aggression. There's a saying in English "kill them with kindness", meaning to stop someone's hostility by being nice to them. It really often does work!

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #133 on: July 12, 2008, 12:59:35 PM
Edited to add: If I may make a suggestion; to fight aggression with aggression usually leads nowhere but to more aggression. There's a saying in English "kill them with kindness". It really often does work!

Have I been rude towards MiscastDice anywhere? I simply told him what I will do if he goes on.

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #134 on: July 12, 2008, 01:05:11 PM
Edited to add: If I may make a suggestion; to fight aggression with aggression usually leads nowhere but to more aggression. There's a saying in English "kill them with kindness", meaning to stop someone's hostility by being nice to them. It really often does work!

Everyone, take a note!

Mod color o' mine

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #135 on: July 12, 2008, 01:05:16 PM
Quote from: "X-J"
Now here's a rude comment bordering on cruelty. I personally would dismiss a mod who talks back like this and who, allegedly, has made at least one member leave by his/her actions.

Where's the cruelty in my statement towards MiscastDice? Are you saying everyone, especially in a moderating position, has to be friends with everyone? Does MiscastDice feel insulted, especially after all the insulting he has done himself? If so, let him speak for himself.
I'm not going to be rude to anyone, but I'm sure as hell not having a sleep-over with all of you.

And the reson for Sirimono leaving the board has nothing to do with X-Freaks, and is based on a discussion that has happened off these boards and that should never have entered the boards at all - even so, do you see the staff censoring anything?
And where is Sirimono's proof, what doesn't make her comment into unfair accusations?

Please do not bring that topic into something completely irrelevant.

Offline Matilda in Oz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #136 on: July 12, 2008, 01:08:45 PM
Edited to add: If I may make a suggestion; to fight aggression with aggression usually leads nowhere but to more aggression. There's a saying in English "kill them with kindness". It really often does work!

Have I been rude towards MiscastDice anywhere? I simply told him what I will do if he goes on.

How do you disprove someone's personal opinion? Even if it is a silly opinion. Everyone has a right to their own opinions, don't they? Sure, we can argue a case, we can lay down facts in front of someone, but if they don't see it our way there's not much we can do. And yes, I do find saying ".....until you can say no more" rude. But that's MY personal opininion. Perhaps you didn't mean to be rude, just doing your job as a mod?

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #137 on: July 12, 2008, 01:12:35 PM
How do you disprove someone's personal opinion? Even if it is a silly opinion. Everyone has a right to their own opinions, don't they? Sure, we can argue a case, we can lay down facts in front of someone, but if they don't see it our way there's not much we can do. And yes, I do find saying ".....until you can say no more" rude. But that's MY personal opininion. Perhaps you didn't mean to be rude, just doing your job as a mod?

Sure, he can lay out his opinions. He can say "the administration is crappy" which he's already gotten across a couple of times.
However, he does not simply stop at this, and accuses the majority speaking against him with things that can be disproved and that will be disproved until he sees that there is no point to go on anymore. If you see that as rudeness - well, what do you see MiscastDice's actions that got him banned as? Christmas?

I tried to stop this discussion nicely with one or two long posts. This did not work. Therefore the discussion must end in another way.

Offline Matilda in Oz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #138 on: July 12, 2008, 01:16:02 PM
And what other way is that?

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #139 on: July 12, 2008, 01:16:39 PM

The one I have suggested.

Offline Matilda in Oz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #140 on: July 12, 2008, 01:17:56 PM

Sure, he can lay out his opinions.

I think you misunderstood me here. I meant that you can lay out your arguments to him (and it may not convince him), not the other way around. Referring to that you are going to "disprove" him.

Offline Matilda in Oz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #141 on: July 12, 2008, 01:18:55 PM

The one I have suggested.

Apologies if I'm lost, but which suggestion? To disprove peole's opinions?

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #142 on: July 12, 2008, 01:21:36 PM
I think you misunderstood me here. I meant that you can lay out your arguments to him (and it may not convince him), not the other way around. Referring to that you are going to "disprove" him.

If you and MD can disprove my arguments, go ahead, you're just as free to as I am to disprove yours. If arguments cannot be disproved, well, then they might be true, and that's why I said I WOULD DO MY BEST to disprove them, that means I'd do it depending on my capability.
Don't forget that I have also been against the administration on this board. That doesn't mean it can't change. I just want you to understand that this discussion is absolutely pointless and it's seemingly only going on because the "anti-movement" wants to be angry, picking out parts of posts to find faults in.

If you have complaints, PM them to the staff and they will be looked over. Where is the difficulty in this?

Apologies if I'm lost, but which suggestion? To disprove peole's opinions?

No, to disprove their arguments.

Offline Matilda in Oz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #143 on: July 12, 2008, 01:23:53 PM
I'm not into disproving anything. I think you are projecting your intentions onto me here.

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #144 on: July 12, 2008, 01:25:21 PM
I'm not into disproving anything. I think you are projecting your intentions onto me here.

You're the one writing to me, refusing to let the topic drop as much as he does.

Offline Matilda in Oz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #145 on: July 12, 2008, 01:27:57 PM
No, you asked me a question re. my comment and I answered. My initial comment wasn't directed to you, it was a general observation.

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #146 on: July 12, 2008, 01:28:58 PM
No, you asked me a question re. my comment and I answered. My initial comment wasn't directed to you, it was a general observation.

Ah the pink question? It was directed to everyone in general as well.

Offline Matilda in Oz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #147 on: July 12, 2008, 01:30:24 PM
What pink question? Sorry, but I only see black text?

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #148 on: July 12, 2008, 01:31:32 PM

If you have complaints, PM them to the staff and they will be looked over. Where is the difficulty in this?

This o_o

Offline Matilda in Oz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #149 on: July 12, 2008, 01:33:24 PM
Oh, that question. Am I supposed to answer that?