• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Angel will be released on July 28th

Tahemet · 5210

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: June 23, 2023, 03:09:23 PM

Yes, Yoshiki has quite the number of loose ends to keep track of. I know this sounds extremely dark, but I do sometimes wonder if we will see more material from Yoshiki after he passes?

I now really hope that Angel's release date isn't pushed back...I wouldn't be surprised. But, considering X Japan seems finished at this stage, and the new album isn't even on the horizon, I am really looking forward to at least hearing a new recording....

I hope that day is far away.

Very often after an artist dies suddenly "new" material will be released, because hey "Cash cow"
(and of course old material will be re-released)

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: June 29, 2023, 05:05:48 PM
It can always get worse
https://twitter.com/YoshikiOfficial/status/1674307176977022976

Yoshiki says he will sing Angel on TV.

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: June 29, 2023, 06:37:20 PM
What

Offline magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: June 30, 2023, 09:05:17 PM
What....?     Let's sit down, get some wine and enjoy the show together.   ;D

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: July 01, 2023, 06:32:44 PM

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: July 01, 2023, 11:41:56 PM
I think he did great!

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: July 02, 2023, 09:02:19 AM
It's ironic that a few days ago Yoshiki was saying that he thinks that generative AI will be the death of music, and then he goes and uses it to create a version of his voice that can hold a tune so he can mime on TV...

That's how he's done this, by the way - just in case anyone has any doubt.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 09:04:22 AM by Beauty/Broken »

Offline magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: July 02, 2023, 10:59:21 AM
I think he did a great job. At this point, I will be very happy if Hyde sings this song. Anyway Yoshiki's voice is not a good singer's voice IMO.

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: July 02, 2023, 03:44:54 PM
It's ironic that a few days ago Yoshiki was saying that he thinks that generative AI will be the death of music, and then he goes and uses it to create a version of his voice that can hold a tune so he can mime on TV...

any proof for that claim?

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: July 02, 2023, 03:49:16 PM
No, he isn't a singer, but I liked his performance.
He adjusted the key to fit his range and some singing lessons with a good teacher can do wonders.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: July 02, 2023, 04:40:42 PM

any proof for that claim?

I've been involved in music production for nearly 20 years and I spend most of my day job at the moment working with generative AI. I trust my ears!

It is masked to an extent in the verse by the breathy overtones of Yoshiki's voice (which the AI will have been trained on extensively) but when it goes into the chorus it becomes very 'uncanny valley' - like a robot singing with the transients from Yoshiki's voice.

Listen to this example of someone training AI on Freddie Mercury's voice and you might hear some similarities - it captures the rasp and timbres of his voice very well, but in some of the longer and higher notes it's... not quite right.

If you don't trust me at that, then fine - but ask yourself why Yoshiki has waited 40 years to magically show the world he can hold a perfect pitch?

Maybe it's because there is now technology than can reproduce his voice... or maybe it's just a big coincidence and Yoshiki has been shy this entire time.

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: July 02, 2023, 08:58:54 PM

I've been involved in music production for nearly 20 years and I spend most of my day job at the moment working with generative AI. I trust my ears!

It is masked to an extent in the verse by the breathy overtones of Yoshiki's voice (which the AI will have been trained on extensively) but when it goes into the chorus it becomes very 'uncanny valley' - like a robot singing with the transients from Yoshiki's voice.

Listen to this example of someone training AI on Freddie Mercury's voice and you might hear some similarities - it captures the rasp and timbres of his voice very well, but in some of the longer and higher notes it's... not quite right.

If you don't trust me at that, then fine - but ask yourself why Yoshiki has waited 40 years to magically show the world he can hold a perfect pitch?

Maybe it's because there is now technology than can reproduce his voice... or maybe it's just a big coincidence and Yoshiki has been shy this entire time.

thanks for your insight, if you are in the business then you obviously have some knowledge about this topic.

Now...I think we all have been surprised about his announcement.
Let's see if this was a one time occurence or if he intend to sing more often.

Any guessen what will be announced during the press conference on Tuesday in Paris?

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: July 04, 2023, 10:27:12 AM
I think he did a great job. At this point, I will be very happy if Hyde sings this song. Anyway Yoshiki's voice is not a good singer's voice IMO.

I am fine with Hyde replacing Toshi if it means more songs will be released.

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: July 04, 2023, 03:07:24 PM

I am fine with Hyde replacing Toshi if it means more songs will be released.

At this point I guess I agree

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: July 04, 2023, 05:51:00 PM
At today's press conference in Paris someone asked Yoshiki if he would work with Toshi again.

His answer "Yes, I hope so!"

Then he went on to say that he wants to perform with his band soon again but until October he is busied with the Classical Concerts

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: July 27, 2023, 02:41:41 PM
It actually came out! No guitar solo, but Toshi’s vocals are intact

Not the most amazing song I’ve heard, but it has some nice melody’s and Toshi sounds good

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: July 27, 2023, 03:18:12 PM
I have only seen a youtube video from an UNOFFICIAL source.
so my question is if this is really the official version?

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: July 27, 2023, 04:21:51 PM
ok, the link was tweeted by Yoshiki Channel so I assume it is legit.

I like the song.

The piano version actually fits the song quite well

Offline RoseOfPain

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Reply #48 on: July 27, 2023, 04:24:11 PM
I think its terribly boring, but at least its sort of a sign of life, I guess.

I'VE GOT EXTASY, BUT I FEEL THE TEAR IS FALLING DOWN

Offline magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: July 27, 2023, 09:11:50 PM
I think its terribly boring, but at least its sort of a sign of life, I guess.

Yes, it sounds boring the first time I heard it. The melody is very beautiful,  Toshi's voice is very nice and clear. I think I will like it more if I hear it more.

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #50 on: July 27, 2023, 10:14:39 PM
I like it! It's nice to get some "new" X Japan song. Also love hearing Toshis voice.

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: July 28, 2023, 11:52:10 AM
And once again complete radio silence from Toshi  (and Pata)

Offline friday

• Moderators
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: July 28, 2023, 03:21:29 PM
The very limited guitar, albeit, power chords which aren’t palm muted, makes me think Yoshiki’s worked on Angel by himself in the studio with an old ToshI audio track.

MODERATOR'd!

Offline RoseOfPain

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Reply #53 on: July 28, 2023, 04:18:45 PM
The very limited guitar, albeit, power chords which aren’t palm muted, makes me think Yoshiki’s worked on Angel by himself in the studio with an old ToshI audio track.

Im pretty sure thats the case. All the strings and even the drums also sound sampled.

I'VE GOT EXTASY, BUT I FEEL THE TEAR IS FALLING DOWN

Offline friday

• Moderators
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: July 29, 2023, 06:17:18 AM
It makes me wonder how much of the post reunion songs have actually included Pata, Heath and Sugizo, minus the hide sampling in I.V., and the solos in Jade and BTBF. It would explain the simplistic riffs in those songs.

Beneath the Skin and some snippets of Kiss the Sky are the only songs that sounded somewhat more complex, at least from a bass and guitar perspective.

MODERATOR'd!

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: July 30, 2023, 08:53:45 PM

that could very well be the case

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: August 13, 2023, 04:58:40 AM
Toshi sounds nice but it’s a very generic song. Some nice production, but man, it’s not worth the drama.

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: August 15, 2023, 04:34:12 PM
Really goes to show that post- reunion music isn’t even worth it. I think we all want the album symbolically, but the music just isn’t that good. I do like Jade, though.

Apart from that, I wouldn’t think twice about any of the reunion songs if they weren’t labeled, “X Japan”. I don’t need an album at this point, I’ll just be happy if Yoshiki puts out Kiss the Sky. That is the one song that seems interesting to me.

The best part of the reunion was for sure the concerts. It was especially great for people who didn’t get to see them in the 80s and 90s. I’m super grateful I got to see them in Chicago.

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #58 on: August 18, 2023, 06:22:11 PM
Really goes to show that post- reunion music isn’t even worth it. I think we all want the album symbolically, but the music just isn’t that good. I do like Jade, though.

Apart from that, I wouldn’t think twice about any of the reunion songs if they weren’t labeled, “X Japan”. I don’t need an album at this point, I’ll just be happy if Yoshiki puts out Kiss the Sky. That is the one song that seems interesting to me.

The best part of the reunion was for sure the concerts. It was especially great for people who didn’t get to see them in the 80s and 90s. I’m super grateful I got to see them in Chicago.
I agree. Most songs aren't that good, but I want the album anyway.  ;D And my absolute highlight was seeing them live in Wembley. <3

While I'm away, read this line again...