• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Angel will be released on July 28th

Tahemet · 4997

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
on: May 16, 2023, 03:15:38 AM
I didn't think the day would come, but X Japan finally releases another song.
Yoshiki just announced at the Grammy Museum that "Angel" will be released on July 28th.
It's not the album, but better than nothing.

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 03:53:18 AM
Wow surprise

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 04:18:37 AM
that was indeed unexpected

Offline helenmoon

• Sunday Listener
  • kiss the sky
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 06:55:00 AM
oh.. WOW!!!  :)

Your scars are beautiful

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 12:18:52 PM
I hope Angel is pretty different from the live versions. In “We are X” it was alluded that it would have more guitars. Fingers crossed

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 01:00:45 PM
Personally I like the live versions but yes, I would love to hear a version with drums/guitar/bass

Offline friday

• Moderators
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 01:20:52 PM
I should feel optimistic but I feel like the single will be released, and we’ll hear nothing from X for another 5-6 years, and nothing else will ever get released from TLRS.

I hope that I’m wrong.

MODERATOR'd!

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 16, 2023, 02:02:35 PM
As long as we get Kiss the Sky someday, I’m good. Would love the album as closure, but that’s the only song that I feel like would be worth all the drama and waiting. We will see

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 16, 2023, 02:04:55 PM
I should feel optimistic but I feel like the single will be released, and we’ll hear nothing from X for another 5-6 years, and nothing else will ever get released from TLRS.

I hope that I’m wrong.

Let's hope for the best.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 16, 2023, 03:16:36 PM
So their lawyers got some shit together enough to release a single, but not the album, or even performing together again...

... or will Yoshiki simply release the single with another singer like Red Swan?

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 16, 2023, 03:22:54 PM
So their lawyers got some shit together enough to release a single, but not the album, or even performing together again...

... or will Yoshiki simply release the single with another singer like Red Swan?

that's the question.....maybe it is a test balloon

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 16, 2023, 04:18:08 PM
I am hoping (again) for the best. Let’s hope they figured their relationship out and can return as X again with the album and some shows

Offline magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: May 16, 2023, 04:54:39 PM
People, don't get too excited until you have bought/downloaded the song. LOL

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: May 17, 2023, 02:18:46 PM
It is possible Toshi doesn’t care about this considering the vocals would have been put on years ago. I hope that’s not the case

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: May 17, 2023, 03:17:38 PM
I guess it comes down to whatever contract they had and that maybe Toshi couldn't stop the release even if he wanted?

No word from him about the release...I am not even surprised.
Pata didn't either, but he isn't that active on Twitter.
Sugizo didn't post anything either.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: May 17, 2023, 11:41:04 PM
I guess it comes down to whatever contract they had and that maybe Toshi couldn't stop the release even if he wanted?

Even the "official" announcement sounded so "formal".
Everything about it is super weird.

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: May 18, 2023, 12:10:19 AM

Even the "official" announcement sounded so "formal".
Everything about it is super weird.

Yeah, is odd. Why even put it out now?

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: May 18, 2023, 12:19:59 PM
Good question.
I still think it is some kind of test balloon.

And will Toshi even be the vocalist??

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: May 18, 2023, 08:44:01 PM
I hope Angel is pretty different from the live versions. In “We are X” it was alluded that it would have more guitars. Fingers crossed
After the press conference, they did a Q & A with the audience. Yoshiki confirmed then that it would be a full band version.

And yea, while I am more than excited about the prospect of hearing some new X, the announcement has been a bit off...

The first thought I also had was whether Yoshiki had simply got another vocalist to feature. However, during his performance, he made reference to the controversy surrounding Red Swan and Hyde as vocalist, and wanting to avoid any future controversy. So it makes me pretty certain that it is Toshi that will be singing.

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #19 on: May 22, 2023, 07:50:52 AM
Wow I can't believe we are talking about a new release here. But I wont believe it fully until I bought the single. ^^°

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: May 22, 2023, 05:02:24 PM
Wow I can't believe we are talking about a new release here. But I wont believe it fully until I bought the single. ^^°

If an actual physical single is released. All of X singles released after the reunion where only available on streaming platforms or iTunes.

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: May 23, 2023, 07:45:15 AM
Yea, I am going to guess we won't see a physical release. If we did, they have enough post reunion material to spin out a nice EP with some live tracks as well.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: May 27, 2023, 12:56:53 AM
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/871559f4be35e713828d815a48fc34bed90099c9

Things don't look good, according to some "music insiders" in Japan.

Here's a translation by /u/girlinium, from Reddit.

His distinctive high tone voice was unique and irreplaceable. There was a time when the group broke up, saying they could not continue without him. But the passage of time has drastically changed the distance between them. As fans around the world watched, one issue with X JAPAN's "new music" surfaced anew...

'X JAPAN's first new song in eight years, 'Angel', will be released on 28 July'. The announcement, which was made with a lot of enthusiasm in Yoshiki's voice, was greeted with cheers and applause from the audience. However, the man himself seemed to be somewhat unfazed by the announcement, although the corners of his mouth turned up for a moment.

On 16 May, YOSHIKI of X JAPAN held a press conference at the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles, US, to announce the release of a new single as X JAPAN. This will be the band's first single release since BORN TO BE FREE in November 2015.

X JAPAN has not been active publicly as a band since their live concert at Makuhari Messe in September 2018, and YOSHIKI's surprise announcement prompted some to ask if the band was restarting activities.

However, the release of this new song was fraught with problems. There was even a risk that it could lead to a break-up, let alone a relaunch.

However, this new song is not purely a "new song".

"Originally created around 2005 by YOSHIKI-san, the song was performed at X JAPAN's live concert at Yokohama Arena on 1 December 2015. It was a ballad with a calm tone, and vocalist Toshl, 57, played clear high notes to YOSHIKI's piano solo. Some fans shed tears at the live venue, and since that time, there have been many requests for the song to be released on an album" (music insider).

X JAPAN was formed by childhood friends YOSHIKI and Toshl, and when the band made its major label debut in 1989, it quickly became a major breakthrough. However, when Toshl left the band in 1997 at the height of its popularity due to a 'brainwashing scandal', YOSHIKI chose to break up the group, citing that there was no replacement vocalist. The group later reunited in 2007, ten years after Toshl's return, and continued their activities, but have not been active publicly since 2018. The reason lies within the band's contractual structure.

"X JAPAN has taken the unusual form of having each member individually sign a contract with a music publishing company controlled by YOSHIKI. In the course of their activities, there were frequent problems, such as non-payment of rights, and despite repeated discussions between YOSHIKI and the members, there was no improvement. The band has not been active since 2018 for contractual reasons" (aforementioned music insider).

This situation has not changed even now, the music insider also says. The band is unable to perform or record as a band. So what will happen to the release of new songs?

"The members responded to YOSHIKI's request and completed the song after sharing their opinions. There is a possibility that the recorded version from that time will be released, or that it will be rearranged and released". (music insider)

On the other hand, some people are predicting a "disappointing case" that will make fans unhappy.

At the press conference announcing the new release, YOSHIKI performed a short version of "Angel" on his piano. The vocalist for the song was not Toshl, but Beverly (28), a female singer from the Philippines.

No offers have been made to Toshl.

In 2018, YOSHIKI took charge of the theme song "Red Swan" for the popular anime "Shingeki no Kyojin season 3", but because the contract with Toshl was not renewed, he used L'Arc~en~Ciel's hyde (54) as vocalist. The band attempted to release the song under the name 'X JAPAN feat. HYDE', but after a flood of criticism from fans, the name was hastily changed to 'YOSHIKI feat. HYDE'.

"There is a possibility, again, that they are considering releasing the album with 'X JAPAN' as the title first and Beverly as a featured artist, and it is inevitable that there will be criticisms like in 2018, but looking at the current situation that YOSHIKI is in, it cannot be said that it won't happen." (entertainment industry insider).

Last November, YOSHIKI formed the four-piece band THE LAST ROCKSTARS with HYDE and others, with the goal of "going global from Japan".

However, sales of the first single, which was distributed simultaneously worldwide, were sluggish, and the tour of Japan and the USA, which took place from January to February this year, saw many empty seats at venues.

"YOSHIKI said in an interview that he was "trying to make a second song", but the future looks grim. In this situation, he is preparing for a world tour of classical performances starting in October. He may be wanting to draw attention to the name of X JAPAN, which has news value" (entertainment industry insider).

In recent years, a significant discrepancy has emerged between YOSHIKI and the other members in the way they relate to X JAPAN. While YOSHIKI frequently mentions X JAPAN in the media, the members keep their distance from the band and continue their solo activities. The sense of unity as a band seems to be fading year by year.

In fact, on the occasion of this release, YOSHIKI sent an email to the band members. The content of the email "reflects the band's sad situation", reveals another music insider.

YOSHIKI informed the members of the release of 'Angel' only a few days before the press conference. The communication was by e-mail, and it was not a request, but an inorganic report: "We're going to release 'Angel'". There was no explanation as to whether they were going to release a track recorded several years ago or whether they were going to make a new recording. The band members are said to be puzzled, but are taking a step back and watching his actions, thinking that it is "typical of YOSHIKI". They are looking forward to seeing how the song will be released.

Incidentally, it is believed that Toshl has not received any offers to be the vocalist at the moment.

The legendary band continues in disagreement. The members will soon reach their 60th birthdays.

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: May 27, 2023, 04:12:56 AM
Fuck

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: June 05, 2023, 10:11:55 AM
HMMMMMM....I gotta say I always take something an "anonymous insider" says  with more than just a grain of salt....

We will see.

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: June 18, 2023, 12:33:30 PM
The release date for "Requiem" was postponed (tba)
But so far the release date for Angel is still July 28th

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: June 21, 2023, 03:54:08 AM
Uh oh

Offline friday

• Moderators
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: June 22, 2023, 04:19:00 AM
“Although I’ve been criticized for being delayed. I’m staking my life on all of these projects. My fans please believe me”.

You make it a bit hard to believe you mate. It’s piss poor to announce a single release if your song isn’t finished and you can’t decide how to end it.

Assume this’ll be followed by the indefinite postponement of Angel.

MODERATOR'd!

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: June 22, 2023, 02:36:03 PM
I hope not, I really hope not.
Personally I wouldn't announce a release date without being sure that the song is actually ready to be released.
But that's me.
It will be interesting to see what he will talk about at the Japan Expo in Paris.
In 2019 he talked about the YouTube doku and no one has seen that one yet.
And what happened with "Under the Sky"?

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: June 23, 2023, 08:15:32 AM
It will be interesting to see what he will talk about at the Japan Expo in Paris.
In 2019 he talked about the YouTube doku and no one has seen that one yet.
And what happened with "Under the Sky"?

Yes, Yoshiki has quite the number of loose ends to keep track of. I know this sounds extremely dark, but I do sometimes wonder if we will see more material from Yoshiki after he passes?

I now really hope that Angel's release date isn't pushed back...I wouldn't be surprised. But, considering X Japan seems finished at this stage, and the new album isn't even on the horizon, I am really looking forward to at least hearing a new recording....