X Freaks Forum

News:

• Welcome to the X FREAKS forum!
    Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Why hasn't Yoshiki released a new album?

Alexsis · 9122

Offline Alexsis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
on: October 09, 2020, 10:02:39 PM
Yoshiki in his own words explains how he feels, taken from a live broadcast found on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/BVsMO8vMFUg

Offline TaijiSawada

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 11:04:22 AM
he's struggling to find the right words... And it's not even clear what he's trying to say  :(

it's been a week since he admitted that it's all because of his mismanagement, but what did precisely happen?

Offline magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 12:28:59 PM
Thanks for the video. After watching him talked over 4 mins, still have no idea what he has been talking about. LOL

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 10:58:59 PM
Should I watch this?

Okay, watched the first 30 seconds.

Let me say, he should just come clear an tell the truth. My guess is, he is frightened that the album doesn't reach the expectations and/or some legal issues, maybe with Toshi. No idea, but he should just come clear.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 11:04:04 PM by nb »

positively unsure。

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 01:18:35 AM
Thank you for sharing this video, Alexsis.

Wow... I mean where to even begin with this dumpster fire of a video. It's kind of surreal for me, and so many others here who've been waiting for the better part of a decade for the new album to finally see ONE video where Yoshiki tries to address it. First, I think he's had a little too much wine leading up to this clip as he's not very coherent. To me it sounds as though other members got tired of his gruelling perfectionism and usual dictatorship over absolutely everything and got bored of nothing substantial ever happening. I think there's some truths to that rumour of legal issues with each members' management as well.

I still stand by my theory that Yoshiki was/is looking for a 'perfect storm' of events and timing to release the album; a perfect storm that may never come. I think he's in some fantasy mindset where he'll make some big splash into the US market and become huge in the West. As an artist, you don't wait for those scenarios, you create them because your music/art is so captivating and so cathartic, just as all great artists/bands have done in the past. Yoshiki should damn well know this after X's history from 1987-1997. He literally changed the music scene in Japan! Otherwise, just look at The Beatles to Nirvana to Ed Sheeran (and many others in between). I truly don't think Yoshiki is OK with only being a success in a niche market today. I think he's scared of releasing the album and it not having any substantial impact in the USA, which ties into my final thought...

That Yoshiki has become a sellout, and it's so painfully obvious in everything he's done for the past 10 years. Let me just state that I don't expect every major rock star, especially from a 'punk rock' background to just continue living in the ways they started, but when it comes to stringing along the fans that gave you all of this fame? That's where I draw the line. He literally says in the video, after wryly asking us to trust him, to just "let me enjoy these other things as an artist, the YoshikiMono, wine, credit card..." and then he even admitted he's a sellout! "I was like a rebel as a teenager so pretty amazing I have my own credit card." Who the fxck cares about your Rakuten Mastercard. It's probably a shitty signup bonus and redemption anyway...

Real talk, no X Japan fan is trying to stop you from having activities outside of the band but it's been a DECADE. Entire bands form, reach their peak of success and disband in less time. I should just have the guts to let it go and not care anymore...and there's months that go by where I don't care, but as a true fan, the enjoyment of X's music always comes rushing back and when it does, so does this torrent of intense frustration with Yoshiki. I have to learn to somehow lower my expectations.

Offline TaijiSawada

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 07:01:00 AM
thing is, if he hadn't been constantly asked by us what actually happened (some user commented on his XY video prompting his response before he addressed the issue on Instagram), we still wouldn't know.

then we got this. I personally take it as his statement about 'we won't see any album anymore'

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 02:44:15 PM

positively unsure。

Offline WeekEnder

• Sunday Listener
  • UwU
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 07:41:39 AM

Wow... I mean where to even begin with this dumpster fire of a video. It's kind of surreal for me, and so many others here who've been waiting for the better part of a decade for the new album to finally see ONE video where Yoshiki tries to address it. First, I think he's had a little too much wine leading up to this clip as he's not very coherent. To me it sounds as though other members got tired of his gruelling perfectionism and usual dictatorship over absolutely everything and got bored of nothing substantial ever happening. I think there's some truths to that rumour of legal issues with each members' management as well.

I still stand by my theory that Yoshiki was/is looking for a 'perfect storm' of events and timing to release the album; a perfect storm that may never come. I think he's in some fantasy mindset where he'll make some big splash into the US market and become huge in the West. As an artist, you don't wait for those scenarios, you create them because your music/art is so captivating and so cathartic, just as all great artists/bands have done in the past. Yoshiki should damn well know this after X's history from 1987-1997. He literally changed the music scene in Japan! Otherwise, just look at The Beatles to Nirvana to Ed Sheeran (and many others in between). I truly don't think Yoshiki is OK with only being a success in a niche market today. I think he's scared of releasing the album and it not having any substantial impact in the USA, which ties into my final thought...

That Yoshiki has become a sellout, and it's so painfully obvious in everything he's done for the past 10 years. Let me just state that I don't expect every major rock star, especially from a 'punk rock' background to just continue living in the ways they started, but when it comes to stringing along the fans that gave you all of this fame? That's where I draw the line. He literally says in the video, after wryly asking us to trust him, to just "let me enjoy these other things as an artist, the YoshikiMono, wine, credit card..." and then he even admitted he's a sellout! "I was like a rebel as a teenager so pretty amazing I have my own credit card." Who the fxck cares about your Rakuten Mastercard. It's probably a shitty signup bonus and redemption anyway...

Real talk, no X Japan fan is trying to stop you from having activities outside of the band but it's been a DECADE. Entire bands form, reach their peak of success and disband in less time. I should just have the guts to let it go and not care anymore...and there's months that go by where I don't care, but as a true fan, the enjoyment of X's music always comes rushing back and when it does, so does this torrent of intense frustration with Yoshiki. I have to learn to somehow lower my expectations.

THIS

*nuzzles*

Offline TaijiSawada

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 07:49:43 AM
usually in the music industry album leaks aren't that rare. In fact they happen quite often. I wonder where the master CD for the new album has been sheltered in the last years, since nobody got their grasp on it  ;D

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 01:49:14 PM

I couldn't have said it better.

And isn't only the waiting: he gave a date for it. March 11th 2016. People paid for a concert that didn't happened and was postponed to AN YEAR later. He could have hired another guitarist to play Pata's parts (as he quickly did when hired Miya to play Sugizo's part in Coachella which was way less relevant). But he choose to postpone the concert for an year. So an year later, people paid again (not only the tickets, but the whole trip, as people from many countries went there). It would be the concert for the album release. And no album at all, just a documentary which shows how amazing HE is and sometimes there were another members in the band.

There is no excuse for what he has done. There is no excuse for what he is still doing. If there are legal troubles, be honest about it. Just say some shit happened, stop waiting for the "perfect time" and lying to the fans who made you what you are today.

Offline Ekapri

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 06:25:13 AM
I want to know what X fans from Japan think about this, whether they are upset or don't care anymore

Offline TaijiSawada

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 09:43:08 AM
I want to know what X fans from Japan think about this, whether they are upset or don't care anymore

judging from the outpouring of love emoticons that comes with each tweet from them, they'd be willing to wait until the Sun implodes.  :( Not pleasant

Offline magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 12:51:47 PM

judging from the outpouring of love emoticons that comes with each tweet from them, they'd be willing to wait until the Sun implodes.  :( Not pleasant

I think the fans from Japan are just more or less like us. Only those die hard fans care to 'liked' every single tweet from Yoshiki.  A very big part of the fans just don't care to even read his tweet.

Offline Liliah

• Sunday Listener
  • They’re at their wits end
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 10:19:58 PM
There is no excuse for what he has done. There is no excuse for what he is still doing. If there are legal troubles, be honest about it. Just say some shit happened, stop waiting for the "perfect time" and lying to the fans who made you what you are today.

Well, that’s true. But I don’t think it’s that easy. If he could say it clearly, he would. This isn't all about "Perfect time", but he's just avoiding to talking about it. Does it sound strange?

And the other thing>> For God's sake, how many albums does X have in total? There haven't been an album in almost two decades and fans are used to it. But why are they squeezing Yoshiki so much RIGHT NOW?

I believe this is more than meets the eye. Yoshiki certainly has a reason and we can’t do anything but wait.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 10:23:57 PM by Liliah »

Offline Astralmind

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 01, 2020, 10:58:18 PM
That bellow is absolutely on point!

Now the album itself ... who really cares and honestly who really cared at any point ? As far as I remember, it's a freakin 'best of' with a few songs that never had an official release but have been heard hundreds of times and maybe 1-2 'original songs' even if ? So really.. nobdoy truly gives a damn about the actual album. However, what pisses me off (and many I'm sure) the the whole revival thing, get the band back together, 'World Tours', interviews, getting Taiji back on stage, starting off the whole machine again, making peace with Toshi etc... All of that was very unexpected in many ways and came up as such an exciting surprise. The potential for this reunion was GIGANTIC.

And here we are, 12 years post reunion and NOTHING to show up for it. Not a freakin thing. Sure, there were setbacks re: Yoshiki's health for a little while but what is utterly damning through all this bullshit is that Yoshiki turned X-japan's reunion into his own personal revival and leveraged all of the attention he managed to garner with the X reunion for his pet projects and own gain. There is absolutely nothing wrong with an arstist exploring different avenue, hell, it's a free world, go for it man but.. not like that.. not leaving fans hanging and stretch it to no end. It just plain sucks. Doesn't take away anything from the fact that X-japan were an outstanding band, that Yoshiki certainly has some creative genius in himself and that through my teens and young adult life, for 25 years, these guys truly represented something special. I'm just forced to admit those days are gone.. too bad

I couldn't have said it better.

And isn't only the waiting: he gave a date for it. March 11th 2016. People paid for a concert that didn't happened and was postponed to AN YEAR later. He could have hired another guitarist to play Pata's parts (as he quickly did when hired Miya to play Sugizo's part in Coachella which was way less relevant). But he choose to postpone the concert for an year. So an year later, people paid again (not only the tickets, but the whole trip, as people from many countries went there). It would be the concert for the album release. And no album at all, just a documentary which shows how amazing HE is and sometimes there were another members in the band.

Offline TaijiSawada

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: December 02, 2020, 06:41:33 AM

I believe this is more than meets the eye. Yoshiki certainly has a reason and we can’t do anything but wait.

a blend of mismanagement (most probably legal rights, feuds with the other members about all the wasted potential of X Japan , mishappenings with the solo careers of each member), perfectionism,  self-realization gone bad, metal/rock music not being accepted anymore in the mainstream media.

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 02:41:57 PM
I'm an X pessimist but I wouldn't say the reunion was for nothing

Over the past 15 years, they still played dozens of shows including their first ever international tour (even if it's execution left a lot to be desired). Lots of fans got to discover and see them because of that, and their reformation has kept the brand alive in some way. They also released a few official studio songs, which although isn't as good as an album, is better than nothing I guess.

The reunion has been a let down because of what it could be based on Yoshiki's proclaimed vision, but it's still good it happened imo

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 08:48:15 AM
I'm an X pessimist but I wouldn't say the reunion was for nothing

Over the past 15 years, they still played dozens of shows including their first ever international tour (even if it's execution left a lot to be desired). Lots of fans got to discover and see them because of that, and their reformation has kept the brand alive in some way. They also released a few official studio songs, which although isn't as good as an album, is better than nothing I guess.

The reunion has been a let down because of what it could be based on Yoshiki's proclaimed vision, but it's still good it happened imo
I agree with you. If there was no reunion I wouldn't have been able to see them live just once in my life. So that's good.

While I'm away, read this line again...