• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

X at its peak?

madrigal · 9315

Offline madrigal

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
on: April 30, 2020, 10:46:06 AM
Greetings all from quarantine land!

I was feeling a bit nostalgic so looked up the X with orchestra concert on Youtube to listen to while working from home. This was one of the first live performances I heard with X when I first started listening to them some 15-16 years ago (I feel old). As I was listening I was struck by what a fantastic performance this was and it made me think... was this X at their peak? It's about half a year after Jealousy was released. I'm a big fan of Art of Life, but even that didn't sound this good live, did it?

You can find the concert here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERsYZOBa5nI

What do you guys think? Instead of discussing the decline of X, when do you think they were at their peak?

Offline WeekEnder

• Sunday Listener
  • UwU
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 07:27:44 PM
91-93 was X's prime peak. 94 was the start of downfall imo

*nuzzles*

Offline magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 08:58:06 PM
Yes, you are right,  It was an excellent performance.
I also think that their peak was around the Jealousy time. Back then, Toshi's voice was much more powerful.

Offline Ekapri

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 09:15:23 PM
I love Taiji bass from the start i can hear it loud & clear, sorry Heath 😊. Pata is running around and with good combo with hide,Yoshiki is focus on his drum & headbanging. This is one of their best performance. Maybe send this video to yoshiki to remind him what kind of band is X Japan.

Offline magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 10:48:16 AM
I love Taiji bass from the start i can hear it loud & clear, sorry Heath 😊. Pata is running around and with good combo with hide,Yoshiki is focus on his drum & headbanging. This is one of their best performance. Maybe send this video to yoshiki to remind him what kind of band is X Japan.

But, we should not forget the concert was almost 30 yaers ago, they were all much younger...... LOL

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 10:52:56 AM
Does that mean we are old now too? O.o

positively unsure。

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 10:56:54 AM
I would agree that their peak was around Jelousy-Release. After that everything started falling apart.

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 02:11:27 PM
I think their peak was during Rose and Blood tour. Great performances, the concerts were never the same, there were always some changes on the setlist. They were more "creative" back then. Their relationship was still good. They still looked like they were enjoying what they were doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KseXO_V4CyQ

After Taiji departure, they only played a few weird concerts until 1995, when things started getting better with Dahlia Tour. Until it was interrupted due to Yoshiki's health.

Offline evisse

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 02:12:02 PM
X with Orchestra is a great concert! Too bad it wasn't officially released.
I think they were at their peak around that time, 1991-1992, the last Tokyo Dome concert with Taiji was perfection, in my opinion. So that might have been their peak in terms of musical perfection.
But thinking about it, The Last Live was their emotional peak, it was possibly their most powerful performance. They gave it all.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 02:16:47 PM
I think they were at their peak around that time, 1991-1992, the last Tokyo Dome concert with Taiji was perfection, in my opinion. So that might have been their peak in terms of musical perfection.
But thinking about it, The Last Live was their emotional peak, it was possibly their most powerful performance. They gave it all.

Interesting point. The last Dome concerts with Taiji, and later again on Dahlia Tour Final, they were in their best shape, technically speaking. They sounded amazing.

I still prefer the Rose & Blood era not because of technique, but the whole vibe of the concerts.

Offline evisse

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 03:01:50 PM

Interesting point. The last Dome concerts with Taiji, and later again on Dahlia Tour Final, they were in their best shape, technically speaking. They sounded amazing.

I still prefer the Rose & Blood era not because of technique, but the whole vibe of the concerts.
I think the only reason why I didn't go for the era you mention is that the stuff I find from back then is generally lower quality than the later stuff  ;D But other than that, you're right, it's awesome stuff. They had great energy and looked like they really enjoyed what they were doing.

Offline TaijiSawada

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 08:15:01 PM
meanwhile, Yoshiki plays mind games to the next level trying to ignite a last, faint hope for X:

https://twitter.com/YoshikiOfficial/status/1256415405343531010

to be quite honest, even if this album sees the light of day in the next 50 years, it won't be half as successful as expected. I mean, he's right when he says that people have developed a sweet tooth for more electron-ish music and X are not marketable that much anymore. But when will things change?

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #12 on: May 10, 2020, 11:55:17 AM
meanwhile, Yoshiki plays mind games to the next level trying to ignite a last, faint hope for X:

https://twitter.com/YoshikiOfficial/status/1256415405343531010

to be quite honest, even if this album sees the light of day in the next 50 years, it won't be half as successful as expected. I mean, he's right when he says that people have developed a sweet tooth for more electron-ish music and X are not marketable that much anymore. But when will things change?
Argh this tweet. He was really trying to troll us here. Why does he do that with his fans feelings?

While I'm away, read this line again...