• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Toshi's Injury

LEMONedMe · 716

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
on: February 17, 2019, 12:28:47 PM
I was looking for info on the band and ran across this article.  I strongly suspect these injuries were caused by the beatings from HoH and not stress. 

Vocalist Toshi developed intercostal neuralgia around November 2009 and was unable to sing or tour as a result until 2010. Later, it would be known that this was due to his life situation's stress at the time. Meanwhile, Yoshiki's recovery and rehabilitation from his neck surgery continued and continues. The band's projects including the new album and any tours, therefore, were on hiatus until their promotional video shoot in Hollywood January 9th 2010, which was held on top of the Hollywood and Highland mall and open to the public.

Toshi announced in a subsequent press conference that he had left his religion, and accused its leader and his ex-wife of taking all his income for over 12 years, filing fraudulent tax returns and taking out loans in his name without his knowledge. For a while, Masaya still owned many of Toshi's official properties and necessitated that Toshi change his stage name to Tosh 1 as well as not have his own online sites for around a year until the legal matters were settled.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Music/XJapan

Intercostal Neuralgia
What is intercostal neuralgia?
Intercostal neuralgia is neuropathic pain involving the intercostal nerves. These are the nerves that arise from the spinal cord, below the ribs.

Intercostal neuralgia tends to cause thoracic pain, which affects your chest wall and upper trunk.

What are the symptoms?
The main symptom of intercostal neuralgia is burning, sharp, or shooting pain. This pain may be felt:

around the ribs
in the upper chest
in the upper back
Additional symptoms in these areas include:

a squeezing pressure sensation that wraps around the chest from front to back
tingling
numbness
The pain might feel worse even when doing gentle physical activities, such as deep breathing or stretching. It might also intensify when you laugh, cough, or sneeze. Some people also notice referred pain in their shoulder blade or lower pelvis. Referred pain is pain that you feel in an area other than the affected one.

Intercostal neuralgia caused by the shingles virus (postherpetic neuralgia) can also make your skin itchy and extremely sensitive, even to clothing.

Symptoms of more severe cases of intercostal neuralgia include:

involuntary muscle twitching
loss of appetite
paralysis
muscle atrophy
pain that feels like a lightning bolt

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 05:03:35 PM
Also,  intercostal neuralgia can be caused by anxiety or severe stress, which totally lines up with his situation back then.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 05:28:25 PM
Also,  intercostal neuralgia can be caused by anxiety or severe stress, which totally lines up with his situation back then.

That could be, however, I still think the physical abuse is what caused it.  From the book...

pg. 28 -  Until when do you plan to continue being such a bad disciple?!” Masaya kicked my
back. The violence and abuse continued for many hours, until they decided to stop and I completely
gave in. That night, it went on for over three hours.

pg. 29 - Yet, Moritani kicked my back and stepped on me very
heavily.
With the impact of her stepping on me, for a brief moment I opened my eyes and saw the cuff
of someone’s pants and they removed their slippers. These were Masaya’s feet. Many, many times,
he hit me in the head and face with the slippers, the tingling pain echoed on top of my head
. Then,
Masaya yelled together with the others. “You’ve seen that person dead, now you’re disturbed,
bastard! The future of egoists in a visual rock group like X Japan is suicide! You know that, you beast!
If you don’t participate in our
trainings, the same will happen to you! Get this through your head!” Many hours passed, still with the
abuse and violence.
But in the end, I was unable to cry or scream.

pg. 55  - The atmosphere in the
flight was relaxing, but I had pain from being kicked on the back the previous night, the usual pain in
my chest, and throbbing pain in a part of my face.
As I tried to withstand these pains, I stared at the
window, thinking in nothing else but how I would plan my escape. (But, no matter which way or how
I escape, there’s no doubt that Moritani would go after me...)
When I closed my eyes, I saw her evil expression.

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 11:05:05 AM
Interesting but impossible to know for sure what caused it. Stress, physical injury or a combination of the two. In any case, poor guy, I'm glad he got the hell out of that bloody cult.

Woah, I can haz admin colour.