X Freaks Forum

News:

• Welcome to the X FREAKS forum!
    Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Favourite Visual Kei Band, (Besides X, of course! XDDD)

REM ~Piscean Dreams~ · 4374

Poll

Besides X Japan, which one of the following,( listed below,) would you consider your favourite Visual Kei band?

Dir en Grey! It's all about DIR EN GREY! :D
1 (8.3%)
VERUSAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIII~!!!!!! (Versailles- Philharmonic Quintet-)
0 (0%)
Luna Sea! v(^  ^)
6 (50%)
BUCK-TICK! (>////<)
4 (33.3%)
Malice Mizer! Oh! And of course, *Ahem*, DIX! (Moi dix Mois)
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Offline REM ~Piscean Dreams~

• Rookie
    • View Profile
on: September 06, 2018, 12:04:23 AM
Thought I could use this as a tool to get to know all my fellow X Freaks, out there. Enjoy!

X!!!!!From Canada,
REM! (^  ^)b

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 06:41:14 AM
D'espairsRay

positively unsure。

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 07:19:12 AM
Luna Sea

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 01:01:02 PM
I love the over the top outfits Versailles wear. Aaaaand I am really glad you included Malice Mizer! :D Gonna vote for them today, even though they're all great.

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline Yohalo

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 02:44:50 PM
Also D'espairsRay and Mucc 8)

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 03:19:38 PM
It's quite difficult to pick just one!  8)

X is by far my favourite band, and on my top 3 favourite bands ever, regardless of genre. To me X is the only Japanese rock band that transcends the "J-rock"  label thing. I really, really like many of the others but in order to enjoy them I kind of need to get into the "J-rock mindset", if that makes sense. Not that they're any less than Western bands, it's just that I can't throw them in the same bag as, say, Black Sabbath or Aerosmith. I need context (and a little help with the themes and lyrics) to fully enjoy them. This doesn't happen with X: I never needed to translate their lyrics or to really look into what certain references mean to folks in the Far East in order to feel a total connection. I guess the glue that ties their stuff together is of the pretty universal kind.

I don't know much about Dir en Grey, but the more I listen to them, the more conviced I am that they're similar to X in that sense. Which could also explain why they're so palatable for Western audiences, unlike good old Luna Sea or Buck-Tick, who remain pretty niche.

TL;DR: Anyone can cry to X, if you want to cry to Luna Sea, you need to know what the heck is happening in their songs.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 03:22:49 PM by matsumoto »

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 05:03:26 PM
Of the bands shown in the poll I'd chose Luna Sea.

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 07:44:05 PM
I love the over the top outfits Versailles wear. Aaaaand I am really glad you included Malice Mizer! :D Gonna vote for them today, even though they're all great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ3EceYlIMw the show is awesome!

What's about Fanatic Crisis, Shazna and La'cryma Christi
?

Are these pictures v-kei too? This band is not listed and is looking very different today - just like X Japan ^^

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 08:10:34 PM by nb »

positively unsure。

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 02:34:25 AM

Thank you for your Contribution! (^  ^)b It'd be a bloody crime on my part to not Include Malice Mizer, being arguably Japan's biggest VK band during the 90's! Not to mention, they were the first Visual Kei Band I discovered! They're very high, on my list! (^  ^d

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 02:37:52 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ3EceYlIMw the show is awesome!

DARN! I was actually contemplating including L'Arc~en~Ciel, But I was unsure of whether or whether not they would count as a Visual Kei band!
XO

What's about Fanatic Crisis, Shazna and La'cryma Christi
?

Are these pictures v-kei too? This band is not listed and is looking very different today - just like X Japan ^^

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 01:51:58 PM by nb »

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 12:27:14 PM
@nb: well yes they looked very v-kei back in the days. Even though just for a short period of time, but when someone talks about v-kei now Laruku really isn't the first thing that comes to my mind. If they would still classify as visual kei they would easily be my favourite in that genre. :)

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline KurenaiRoseOfPain

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • KurenaiRoseX-Twitter-
Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 05:20:27 PM
Dir en grey, because they were my first and my favorite, but I like them all and don't really have one favorite band^^
More like 5:  X, Diru, Despa, Lareine, Schwarz Stein

~Dry your tears with love~

Offline WeekEnder

• Sunday Listener
  • UwU
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 07:46:58 AM
If you talk about V-kei rock band except X, then for me its Luna sea. Dir en grey is a bit too heavy for me, I liked their older stuff tbh.
But I also like a very obscure Vkei Dance-electronic pop group named MORE DEEP(1989-1992). They did some interesting stuff and were predominantly underground EDM style, even though they had potential the whole act was a massive commercial failure. Their pics and music videos are rare to find and most of the links about articles related to them are broken or dont have any archived pages.

https://youtu.be/ApbUle95k5M

*nuzzles*

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 01:21:43 AM
I don't like the "visual kei" label as it doesn't  define the musical style of the band, which is what really matters.

Anyway, talking about japanese rock bands in general, I like Luna Sea a lot. Another band that I like (albeit not listening to nothing they released in the last ten years) is Plastic Tree. I like their style. Simple and sound nice.

The first Dir en grey albums were good. Then they suddenly became a noisy-screaming-skincutting pile of shit that doesn't remotely sound like what they were.

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 07:25:03 AM

The first Dir en grey albums were good. Then they suddenly became a noisy-screaming-skincutting pile of shit that doesn't remotely sound like what they were.

lol'd
It's really accurate  ;D

positively unsure。

Offline KurenaiRoseOfPain

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • KurenaiRoseX-Twitter-
Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 02:03:40 PM
Luna Sea and Plastic Tree are great!
even though for a long time I only liked one song by Luna Sea (tonight) and I enjoy them more live.

lol'd
It's really accurate  ;D

yep that's why I stopped listening to them but the last two albums are better and I enjoyed their concert last year. Still, I like their earlier stuff the most.

~Dry your tears with love~