• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Get The X Freaks Into Your Jam

matsumoto · 3222

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
on: August 30, 2018, 09:19:42 PM
Dear X Freaks, thanks to YOU, I have discovered many awesome Japanese bands in the last few months. So here's an extension of nb's thread on this topic: recommend everyone one or more Japanese bands you like and post a link to your favourite song by them (and tell us why you picked that particular one). We will feature the bands and songs you suggested as opening acts on the next Kurenights!

Rules of the game:

1) The band must be from Japan
2) Only one song per band (your absolute favourite)
3) Tell everyone why you like it

Here's a start:

Band: Loudness
Song: Crazy Nights
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXCpPpPCW4c

Why this band: I got into Loudness thanks to another X Freak (MIHO) back in 2008. If you're a metalhead who likes headbanging, kickass guitar riffs, power chords and slightly mispronounced English lyrics, you'll love Loudness. Fun fact? Taiji joined Loudness when Yoshiki gave him the sack. And if Taiji gives something his seal of approval, that something sure is cool. Listening to Loudness is like hopping on a time machine and going back to that day when you were 14 and had your very first beer (or several) and suddenly rock'n'roll sounded even better, the night was ablaze with a million little flickering lights, all the guys looked sort of like Ronnie James Dio and all the girls were pretty things with a bit of visible damage to them. Yup, that's Loudness' vibe.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 06:49:38 AM by matsumoto »

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Teemeah

Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 10:17:52 AM
Okay, I don't know a lot of Japanese bands to be honest, but here is my pick.

Band: One Ok Rock
Song: The Beginning
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlOQGhL09y4

Why: This is a very solid rock band, with music I would call "radio friendly". They are absolutely on par with any American commercially viable rock band, and Taka has an awesome singing voice. I just love good singers with unique voices, and boy, this dude can sing! (those who wanna check his range, check out his Adele cover here, it's shivers). I first heard this song when I watched the Rurouni Kenshin live adaptation, they also did the theme songs for all three movies. You'll like them if you like 'normal' rock music, sing-along choruses and unique singers.

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 06:06:40 PM
I love the idea matsumoto!  :)

I just listened to the One Ok Rock song. It was cool. Nice song and cool video.

And yay for Loudness! :D You've got some good taste matsumoto. I would've choosen a different song, maybe Esper or Milky Waaaa~y.  ;)

Well time for my choice... errr... I'm actually cheating a bit now, cause rule 1 says it has to be band from Japan. Well it is a band from Japan... but a fictional one and yeeeees I know what you're thinking, but it's neither BLAST nor Trapnest (if you don't know what I'm talking about you're probably not an anime nerd... well that's okay ^^). My choice is... and I already pity the person after me a bit... Yen Town Band! That came unexpected, didn't it? It is a fictional band from Shunji Iwais movie Swallowtail Butterfly.

Band: Yen Town Band
Song: Swallowtail Butterfly (あいのうた)
Video: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7rdhb

Why: I'm actually a huge fan of the singer Chara. Some people call her the japanese Björk. I like Björk, but noooo they don't have that much in common. I always tend to say it's like these weird people listening to whales singing. It's a sound that's just not for everyone. This song especially is very listener-friendly. It's easy and it actually was very succesful in the charts back then. I feel very melancholic listening to it. It also calms me down a lot. The lyrics are also very beautiful! Many J-Poppers already covered the song, but none were able to transport the feeling of the song like the original did. Fun fact: Chara once sang together with Hyde (VAMPS) which was one of the weirdest collaborations I've ever seen, but they were somehow awfully cute with each other. ^^°

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 08:28:52 PM
@Teemeah WOW, that Adele cover! I didn't know much about One OK Rock and while it's not the kind of band I would spontaneously gravitate towards, I couldn't help but gasp at that cover. That guy's voice is just incredible and his English is spotless. Very impressed!

@Kasumi That was a beautiful song and I felt strangely compelled to watch the film too! Chara's voice is like velvet, I love it.

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 09:27:52 PM
I'm listening to the recommendation of Kasumi. Since I'm married to her, I listened to Chara a lot^^ Willingly or unwillingly.

So I already new this song. But I never read the lyrics. This is some fucking deep shit! Never thought about it could be like that.

In the shadows of the clouds you were chasing a dream of tomorrow
Distantly I thought of parting

or

After I stuffed into my pocket all the things I believe in
I walked a long way along the railroad tracks swaying with summer grass

I mean, srsly? This is some fucking deep shit. Why does it sounds so happy. Well, not really happy lovely and nice, warm. Why is it so sad, almost disturbing? Really deep shit!

--------------------

So,
now it's my turn. I don't really now much about this band, but I really like the musicians. I'm not sure I really like the music. I'm not sure if I like the song either but FUCK! They blew me away. It's sooo much happening when you listen closely. And maybe if you have a little understanding of music (can play an instrument or bla) you even recognize more, but mustn't be.

So, the band called ゲスの極み乙女。 and the song I would recommend is ラスカ

Link? Here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjivt_MtKVA

positively unsure。

Offline hatsor

• Administrator
  • Rookie
  • Without music, life would be a mistake.-Nietzsche
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 09:46:52 PM
One of my recent (last year) finds is RADWIMPS. They did the soundtrack for Kimi No Na Wa and they fit amazingly in the movie. Since the movie had a very emotional story, whenever I listen to them sing the soundtrack now, it gives a bit of the feels. They are also great musicians for the genre of music that they do. Here's one of their songs, played live.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n83TkMS_pM

Another one of my Japanese Jams is Nobuo Uematsu. He does the soundtracks for various games, specially Final Fantasy games. I haven't completed or played much Final Fantasy yet, but I'm a great fan of the soundtracks. And he's a genius in my opinion. He writes some of the most beautiful melodies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0pj-Bhvvzk

I know not what tomorrow will bring. - F.P.

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 06:45:05 PM
This is some really cool music you suggested hatsor!  :)

I want the next person to listen to Killer Tune by the Band Tokyo Jihen:
https://youtu.be/lC8la4l4RhQ

Why this song? Because I like Sheena Ringo.  ;D

While I'm away, read this line again...