axlroseX · 11874

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #30 on: May 30, 2018, 07:36:27 AM
You can clearly see Sugizo and Yoshiki arguing with the staff at Coachella. You don't argue *on stage* in front of 1000s of people when there is everything ok (at least in my little musical carrier we and bands whom we played with does never such thing. And there was Bands like Hammerfall).

Sugizo is gold in my opinion. And I like his style between fusion Jazz, d'n'b and Rock. And Beneath the Skin is my favourite from the newer X songs (yes yes, it was not written for X so as Hero and many other songs).

But this is a bit off topic now...

btw. I don't get the thing with Pata. Much people think hes not a great guitar player. But he plays lot of the solo stuff (as you can see on lives) *and* he is a good rythm guitarist. You can hardly find both of this. And don't forget his Solo stuff. He is a Jazz/Blues dude and it's not easy to play that kind of music. Improvisation is hard. You have to be constantly in contact - at least eye contact - with the other band members. You have to be a total teamplayer. And this is much harder then most people imagine.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:39:55 AM by nb »

positively unsure。

Teemeah

Reply #31 on: May 30, 2018, 09:06:10 AM
I think some people may think that because Pata is not flashy in his playing style, not all over the place like hide used to be, or Sugizo, swearling with his ragged costumes and making flashy moves. Like how people think that Heath is not a good bassist because he remains in the background, you don't see him do flashy things like Taiji did. I guess people who know how to play an electric guitar or have musical experience know how good Pata is. I always appreciate if musicians share their thoughts about X because I am a layperson, I cannot judge technique and stuff like that.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: May 30, 2018, 09:28:34 AM
I don't think Pata influenced X's musical direction very much, but I think he contributed greatly to the band. Think about it. Taiji left the band. Toshi also left the band. Hide didn't leave the band but he left this world forever. Heath is currently a solid member but has once declared his withdrawal. Only Pata has never left the band, nor has caused any troubles, and has been staying near Yoshiki reliably.

Very good point! Grit and preseverance are qualities that we often overlook, but that we shouldn't take for granted. Pata has been a solid member of X from the start, never stirred up any drama, never dropped X in favour of his solo career and never (or hardly ever) fucked up on stage.

btw. I don't get the thing with Pata. Much people think hes not a great guitar player. But he plays lot of the solo stuff (as you can see on lives) *and* he is a good rythm guitarist.

Agree! I'm far from being a pro, but Pata has always sounded great to my ears. Both solo and in X. I've read a lot of comments on how his playing had become 'weak' over the years, which supposedly was more obvious during Coachella, without Sugizo backing him up. Maybe someone who knows a little bit more about guitars than I do can share their insight?  8)

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: May 30, 2018, 10:55:40 AM
I dont think that his playing becomes weak... maybe i missed something... I think he is a good technician. But maybe his fucking guitars are too heavy now :D the Gibson LesPaul is a very heavy guitar and topheavy. And it is also very "instable". For "effects" you mostly use the tremolo on squier or stratocaster guitars. On the LesPaul you only have to shake the head... I mean... great, but .... from a technical point this is not what exactly you want...

positively unsure。

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: May 30, 2018, 06:57:03 PM
there is an interesting video about Patas playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puh8xsmd3HM

it is not really flashy but if you know something about guitar technics you know how great his technical skills are. There are a lot different technics in it.

You also can take a look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szy7PKFTLbo

Also in this video the guy pointed out a very interesting thing about white wind from mr martin and wriggle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPamTMP0XQo
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:18:03 PM by nb »

positively unsure。

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: May 31, 2018, 01:36:32 AM
there is an interesting video about Patas playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puh8xsmd3HM

it is not really flashy but if you know something about guitar technics you know how great his technical skills are. There are a lot different technics in it.

You also can take a look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szy7PKFTLbo

Also in this video the guy pointed out a very interesting thing about white wind from mr martin and wriggle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPamTMP0XQo

I still think Wriggle is a Heath composition which they put Pata's name just to say he participated on the album. Wriggle sounds so much as Heath solo songs.

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: May 31, 2018, 01:37:53 AM

btw. I don't get the thing with Pata. Much people think hes not a great guitar player. But he plays lot of the solo stuff (as you can see on lives) *and* he is a good rythm guitarist. You can hardly find both of this. And don't forget his Solo stuff. He is a Jazz/Blues dude and it's not easy to play that kind of music. Improvisation is hard. You have to be constantly in contact - at least eye contact - with the other band members. You have to be a total teamplayer. And this is much harder then most people imagine.

I said Pata doesn't seem to significantly influence the musical direction of X Japan, but it doesn't mean that Pata is not a great guitar player. Influencing the musical direction and being a great player are separate issues. I mean that Pata doesn't insist like "You have to increase the bpm", "You have to put guitar riffs here", "You have to add a jazz element to this song", "You should not use a machine sound here"... something like that. That doesn't mean that Pata is not a great player.

I listened to Pata's guitar playing in the video you linked. Yeah! Terrific! I'm ignorant of guitar techniques, but it sounds like Gary Moore to me. Very cool. 

Anyway, thank you for the links. I'd like to share the videos in a local community.

I think some people may think that because Pata is not flashy in his playing style, not all over the place like hide used to be, or Sugizo, swearling with his ragged costumes and making flashy moves. Like how people think that Heath is not a good bassist because he remains in the background, you don't see him do flashy things like Taiji did. I guess people who know how to play an electric guitar or have musical experience know how good Pata is. I always appreciate if musicians share their thoughts about X because I am a layperson, I cannot judge technique and stuff like that.

I am also a layperson and can't judge techniques either. I just read many things in Japanese and Korean fansites, so I'd like to write about that.

First off, I've never read that people complain about Pata's playing is not flashy. Instead, they criticize that Pata often hit the wrong notes. He seems to be making more mistakes as he gets older.

Second, They criticize that Pata and Sugizo's playing do not match very well each other. They say that the two players' beats are subtly off. Apart from each guitarist's skill, hide and Pata's ensemble was the perfect match, and so is Sugizo and Inoran's ensemble in Luna Sea. But they say that Pata and Sugizo's playing is subtly misaligned. beat-wise. Japanese netizens also knew that there were bunch of problems with the sound staff at Coachella, but they exploded because of cumulative complaints. I wonder how you guys think about it.

Speaking of Heath, I've never read or heard that people say Heath is not a good bassist. He will not have many opportunities to reveal his talents. People say that Yoshiki doesn't like bass sounds. This is a thing that occurred even when Taiji was in X. Reportedly, Yoshiki often reduced the bass sound during the mixing stage, so Taiji played the bass in irregular ways to prevent Yoshiki from losing the bass sound later on. Since Heath joined, Yoshiki seems to ignore or lessen the bass sound more thoroughly. In recent zepp concerts, only Heath didn't have a solo stage. I wonder if Yoshiki dislikes both bass sounds and bassists. Taiji was fired, and to be honest, nobody will say that Yoshiki and Heath are close.

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: May 31, 2018, 02:04:09 AM
First off, I've never read that people complain about Pata's playing is not flashy. Instead, they criticize that Pata often hit the wrong notes. He seems to be making more mistakes as he gets older.

Second, They criticize that Pata and Sugizo's playing do not match very well each other. They say that the two players' beats are subtly off. Apart from each guitarist's skill, hide and Pata's ensemble was the perfect match, and so is Sugizo and Inoran's ensemble in Luna Sea. But they say that Pata and Sugizo's playing is subtly misaligned. beat-wise. Japanese netizens also knew that there were bunch of problems with the sound staff at Coachella, but they exploded because of cumulative complaints. I wonder how you guys think about it.

Yeah, Pata does hit the wrong notes often, not so much before (well, in X Japan Returns he was super sloppy) but he's been getting more and more sloppy since the reunion but he seems to be doing better lately. About Sugizo and Pata, I honestly think the issue is more on Pata's side, it's very obvious when you listen to Art of Life, when Sugizo harmonizes with hide's recording it's on point but when Pata plays with the recording it's often a little off-beat.

BTW, Heath didn't have a solo but neither did Yoshiki and to be perfectly honest, Heath's solos are not very exciting, aside from the one in the acoustic concert. I have heard people say Heath's not a good bassist but I disagree.

I still think Wriggle is a Heath composition which they put Pata's name just to say he participated on the album. Wriggle sounds so much as Heath solo songs.

I think this is basically what it is. During the Dahlia era when everyone was off doing their solo careers and Yoshiki was alone with the album, he really wanted the others to participate, so he asked Heath to show him demos or recordings he had laying around, he basically took one of his songs and arranged him into Wriggle. I don't think Pata had any participation because he was never mentioned during all this process.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:09:11 AM by pt_93 »

Teemeah

Reply #38 on: May 31, 2018, 06:32:07 AM

Speaking of Heath, I've never read or heard that people say Heath is not a good bassist. He will not have many opportunities to reveal his talents. People say that Yoshiki doesn't like bass sounds. This is a thing that occurred even when Taiji was in X. Reportedly, Yoshiki often reduced the bass sound during the mixing stage, so Taiji played the bass in irregular ways to prevent Yoshiki from losing the bass sound later on. Since Heath joined, Yoshiki seems to ignore or lessen the bass sound more thoroughly. In recent zepp concerts, only Heath didn't have a solo stage. I wonder if Yoshiki dislikes both bass sounds and bassists. Taiji was fired, and to be honest, nobody will say that Yoshiki and Heath are close.

Korean and Japanese fans may have different opinions but what I have seen as English comments on Heath videos and also here on the forum at places is that people complained about Heath being a mediocre or worse bassist.

It's interesting what you say about Yoshiki not liking bass sound. I wouldn't think that's the case. Why have a bassist on your team if you don't like bass? X had bassists from the very beginning, even when they only had one guitar player, they had a bassist. On recordings you can clearly hear the bass well, even Heath's playing. Heath sounds sort of muted down in live concerts since the reunion, which I could not wrap my head around, but I doubt the reason is Yoshiki disliking the sound. It may be setup issues because it varies from concert to concert. He was amazing during the acoustic gigs. Now in Zepp it was like he wasn't even there on stage. And in Coachella too. I do hope there is nothing going on behind the scenes that is alienating Heath. Apart from fans bickering about how Taiji is better. Maybe he is tired of hearing that sh*t for 25 years now :)

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: May 31, 2018, 06:55:52 AM
If Yoshiki doesn't like to have bass, he's foolish because one has to have bass notes in songs to keep the beat if nothing else.  It's basically the backbone of every song. 

And I agree, I am sure he's tired of hearing how great Taiji was but Taiji is no more.  Let him do his thing! He's good. Yea!

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Offline helenmoon

• Sunday Listener
  • kiss the sky
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: May 31, 2018, 08:27:10 AM
I thought it was nice to post here this little excerpt from Taiji's autobiography:

"Feeling wild with both nervousness and pride, I started my activity with Loudness.
Within myself, I felt that being able to play bass for Loudness meant that I had finally reached the top.
However, in reality, there were both pros and cons. I was always surrounded with comparisons to Yamashita-san [Loudness’ original bassist, Masayoshi Yamashita]. Every time I would hear someone say “Yamashita was better”, I couldn’t help but be bitter.
I wonder if Heath, the bassist who joined X after me, suffered the same hell.
I think this is an agony that somebody who hasn’t experienced it could never understand.
I had no problems with the band, Loudness, in itself. Being surrounded by older brother-type figures who were overflowing with musical talent, it was an experience kind of like being a little brother to them.
After that, I ended up getting dragged into trouble with these older brother figures, and because of that, I put my long-aspired band, Loudness, behind me after only one year."

I found it here of course:
http://hydeism.oxxy.com/X-Truth/Taiji-Book
(and, of course, the italic is mine)

Your scars are beautiful

Teemeah

Reply #41 on: May 31, 2018, 09:00:16 AM
Yeah, you will always be compared if you replace someone... People often claim that taiji was the best bassist of Japan at the time, and yet, some Loudness fans thought their original bassist was better, see? It's all a perspective. I am sure Heath suffered from the compariso, too. Although he seems like an emotionless dude, a truly emotionless person is really rare (and they are called psychopats...). I am also the type who will not show being upset in front of other people (typing it out on a forum is a different matter...). You'd rarely see me visibly angry or upset in a group of people, and I would never cry in front of others. People who don't know me often say I look strong. ahahaha, if they knew the truth.  :)

Heath gives off a cold and reserved vibe, looking unaffected but we might underestimate him in this regard. I think the letter he wrote after his leaving controversy a few years back reflects that very well. It's here somewhere on the forum, translated. He felt unsure if he was really wanted.

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: May 31, 2018, 09:08:06 AM
But ... as I learned from you guys, Toshi has organized most of the Acoustic gigs ...

and in this gigs Heath had his best Bass solo ever. I was so proud of him (well, sounds kinda strange)....

So Yoshiki does not like Bass and was not (so much) involved in that gigs but Toshi... And Heath had a great Bass solo ... Let me think....

For me it makes total sence.

And:
Poor Taiji. And Yes, Loudness are great. Or were great. I only like the first records. I have 4 and the newest are the badest because they are so much over produced... But Disillusion is so fucking great.
Even INABA from Bz coverd two songs once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc2XGGfPZRY
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 09:10:42 AM by nb »

positively unsure。

Teemeah

Reply #43 on: May 31, 2018, 09:09:37 AM
Well, could be. :) Toshi also likes Heath a lot, he played bass for Toshi's solo concerts a couple times.

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #44 on: May 31, 2018, 10:42:10 AM
Well, could be. :) Toshi also likes Heath a lot, he played bass for Toshi's solo concerts a couple times.
Yeah they seem to be a lot closer than Heath and Yoshiki... even writing their names together feels kinda weird.

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: May 31, 2018, 11:36:44 AM

Yeah they seem to be a lot closer than Heath and Yoshiki... even writing their names together feels kinda weird.

;D ;D ;D

positively unsure。

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: May 31, 2018, 01:06:46 PM
Korean and Japanese fans may have different opinions but what I have seen as English comments on Heath videos and also here on the forum at places is that people complained about Heath being a mediocre or worse bassist.

Do you remember? I joined this forum and translated the clips you linked. It was about new year's gathering in Yoshiki channel. As always, Heath didn't talk much in it and you said that's because Taiji admires attack him. I was very surprised to read that. Because, you know, in Japanese communities, Heath is rarely mentioned. Most of the comments are about Yoshiki(many compliments and many curses at the same time). Toshi is also mentioned a lot. hide and Taiji are worshiped or blamed even though they died long time ago. Pata is known to be a quiet member along with Heath, but he loves cats, alcohol, and is a big fan of baseball team "Giant", so he has some things to be used as memes. And recently, his guitar playing is criticized.

But Heath is rarely mentioned. Neither positive way nor negative way. Few people tease him or criticize him. That's why I was surprised when you said he is bashed by Taiji admires and it makes him silent. At that time, I was new here and I thought English speakers bash Heath. But since then I've never seen anyone in this forum has blamed Heath of not being a good bassist. Did I miss anything? Can you please link what kind of Taiji admirers bash him of not being a good bassist? I think you are targeting the wrong one.

And I agree, I am sure he's tired of hearing how great Taiji was but Taiji is no more.  Let him do his thing! He's good. Yea!

I don't think it is wrong to admire Taiji. As praising hide is not to blame Sugizo, praising Taiji is not to blame Heath. And when I listen to the old songs of X, I can't help but praise Taiji. Moreover, it's a huge misunderstanding that Taiji fans hate Heath. Why would Taiji admirers hate Heath? Taiji fans love bass and want Heath be more active in the band. I am a Taiji admirer myself, and like Heath because he is a member of X Japan, has a cool and slender body, and he is very cute when he talks with Toshi. I don't know much about him but I like him. Rather than asking people not to praise Taiji, I think Heath should communicate with fans and appeal his own charm more.

Teemeah

Reply #47 on: May 31, 2018, 01:28:00 PM
You can look up older threads, if you want, it's all over the place here, usually older posts. I read through a lot of old posts when I joined, I didn't save them for future use you know :D same with youtube comments. you can go see Taiji and heath videos and see the comments there. It's usually Taiji fans who complain about Heath. There are fans who don't, sure thing. But he got a lot of backlash. Like, if you check out this page, supposedly written by multiple X Japan fans, this is what you read: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Music/HiroshiMorie "It's not that he is a bad bassist, it is that he is an average, ordinary bassist who, in 1993, replaced a bass virtuoso."
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:36:19 PM by Teemeah »

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: May 31, 2018, 02:14:36 PM
"It's not that he is a bad bassist, it is that he is an average, ordinary bassist who, in 1993, replaced a bass virtuoso."

it's exactly that.

But I don't think the international fans are bashing Heath or did I loose something? Everyone likes Heath <3

And now I'm very harsh:
Taiji is a freking god on the bass. But where is he know? What did it bring him to be perhaps the best bassist of Japan, a genius? Heath is still around...

(I LOVE Taiji, dont get me wrong)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:18:08 PM by nb »

positively unsure。

Teemeah

Reply #49 on: May 31, 2018, 03:08:17 PM
I want to start taking bass lessons soon. I will definitely ask the teacher to evaluate both of them :D I'd like to hear what actual basssists think on the matter.  8)

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: May 31, 2018, 03:14:13 PM
People say that Yoshiki doesn't like bass sounds. This is a thing that occurred even when Taiji was in X. Reportedly, Yoshiki often reduced the bass sound during the mixing stage, so Taiji played the bass in irregular ways to prevent Yoshiki from losing the bass sound later on.

I never heard anything like this. Even the first reunion songs, I.V. and Jade, have some parts focused on the bass. Maybe he wanted to say that on the first albums, Yoshiki wanted his drums to sound louder than anything. Which happened on Blue Blood and Vanishing Vision.

Yeah, Pata does hit the wrong notes often, not so much before (well, in X Japan Returns he was super sloppy) but he's been getting more and more sloppy since the reunion but he seems to be doing better lately. About Sugizo and Pata, I honestly think the issue is more on Pata's side, it's very obvious when you listen to Art of Life, when Sugizo harmonizes with hide's recording it's on point but when Pata plays with the recording it's often a little off-beat.

149% agreed. Pata seems to be more sloppy as he is getting older. On 2015 and 2016 concerts, on the twin guitar parts (take X for an example - https://youtu.be/8okmMw_UJfs?t=185), he plays quite delayed from Sugizo. On Coachella, during Endless Rain, when his guitar is louder than Sugizo's, you could notice how bad it sounds.

and to be honest, nobody will say that Yoshiki and Heath are close.

For the 1994 concerts, they made some phone calls between the members and recorded them to put on pamphlets, kind of a joke to promote the concerts. I don't remember exactly the order, but I remember reading the "Toshi x Heath", then "Heath x hide", "hide x Pata", then "Yoshiki x Heath". "Yoshiki x Heath" was the most boring call ever. Like, two complete strangers which didn't know a line to talk about (BTW, hide x Pata was hilarious). On the "Heath x hide" call, Heath says that Toshi supported him a lot, as he played only the X JAPAN Returns concert so far, he was new in a huge band and his first concert in this huge band was in Tokyo Dome. But Heath x Yoshiki was the shortest one. It wasn't that they don't get along well, they are just not close. Sometimes looks like Yoshiki seems Heath like "just some bass player".

Yeah, you will always be compared if you replace someone...

Heath replaced Taiji, he surely received a lot of criticism. Even Sugizo, which was already a huge famous guitarist when joined X, received criticism. And hide wasn't even replaced, he DIED.

But something is not right with Heath. He is a nice guy, he is a good bassist. But seems like his participation on X is decreasing. From 2010 onwards, he stopped the backing vocals (oh, the 2015 Week End performances would be amazing if wasn't for the awful hide recordings for the backing vocals). On the acoustic concerts, his part of Week End backing vocals were handed to Sugizo (which was great doing it, btw).

From 2014 onwards, he is getting even more unassertive. As I said earlier, since the 2016 concerts you could replace Heath with a cardboard picture with a bass and nobody would notice the difference. Even Pata has his social media accounts to interact with the public, and Heath doesn't have anything. His website isn't updated in years, someone just posts dates of X appearances. He seems the only one in the band who doesn't have an active solo work. I remember in one of Yoshiki videos where he joked about it, it was something he asked the fans to "ask on Toshi's Facebook, on Sugizo's twitter, on Pata's Facebook and... go to the bar where Heath drinks".

Teemeah

Reply #51 on: May 31, 2018, 03:21:01 PM
Yeah i guess he is just not the type that wants interaction with the fans, maybe he doesn't want to see the "Taiji was better" comments everywhere. Not everyone can handle social media, even if their accounts are mostly handled by assistants and PR agencies. (I doubt Pata posts on his facebook himself...) And it is also possible that X is now just a hurdle with a contract obligation for him, or a necessary gig he needs for an income. People get bored with things over time, even if it is da most amazing heavy metal band in japan that ever existed. We don't know what goes down in his head or behind the scenes. He can have private life issues like any of us. I hope it's not self-confidence issues like Toshi used to have. Toshi is very brotherly with Heath and Heath seems to be mch more open and talkative when he is on Toshi's nico channel. He smiles a lot there. But he IS quiet there too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl39I9Z0EPw
Toshi looks overly loud in those episodes if you comapre it to Heath's gesturing and speech style. He's that type of dude. Maybe you really just do need to visit the bar he frequents to chat him up :D

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 03:24:27 PM by Teemeah »

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: May 31, 2018, 03:37:10 PM
On Coachella, during Endless Rain, when his guitar is louder than Sugizo's, you could notice how bad it sounds.

no no no no no, don't!

we all know there was very serious problems with the sound. you cant hear the others on stage if the monitors are fucked up. believe me.

maybe you are right with pata but dont count coachella in it!

positively unsure。

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: May 31, 2018, 05:07:38 PM
Yeah i guess he is just not the type that wants interaction with the fans, maybe he doesn't want to see the "Taiji was better" comments everywhere. Not everyone can handle social media, even if their accounts are mostly handled by assistants and PR agencies. (I doubt Pata posts on his facebook himself...) And it is also possible that X is now just a hurdle with a contract obligation for him, or a necessary gig he needs for an income. People get bored with things over time, even if it is da most amazing heavy metal band in japan that ever existed. We don't know what goes down in his head or behind the scenes. He can have private life issues like any of us. (...)

Very well said. Even if it's pure speculation, it is far from uncommon for artists to grow tired of their own artistic output. Some even loathe their old stuff. Usually people just move on to something else, but when you're part of something as huge as X... you're kind of screwed. Think about all the contracts and money that are at stake, not to mention how many people you would disappoint. This is pure speculation, though. I have no idea of that's the case with Pata or Heath. They might love their job very much, for all I know.

As for social media: the more familiar I grow with the J-rock scene, the more I realize Yoshiki is an atypical communicator, in a good sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's currently the only big name in the Japanese music scene I can think of who speaks fluent English, is willing to engage in close contact with fans, writes bilingual posts and seems to be in charge of at least some of the content he posts online (if the use of random capitals, ellipses and funny grammar are any indication).

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: May 31, 2018, 06:36:42 PM
maybe he doesn't want to see the "Taiji was better" comments everywhere.

As previously said, Heath doesn't receive so much bad comments. Not even nearly close than the hate Sugizo receives for "replacing hide".
Heath is quite rell received in concerts. (https://imgur.com/kyJvQIt)

On the shooting of those PVs which were never released, in 2010, someone even held a hide doll with lyrics of "Evening Rose" (https://imgur.com/wBmxEXw), a Dope HEADz song... Composed by Heath.

Teemeah

Reply #55 on: May 31, 2018, 07:02:46 PM
I never said Heath didn't have fans (there is a whole facebook group dedicated to him, too ;) ). That doesn't negate the fact that he got backlash for replacing Taiji.

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: June 01, 2018, 02:09:22 AM
You can look up older threads, if you want, it's all over the place here, usually older posts. I read through a lot of old posts when I joined, I didn't save them for future use you know :D same with youtube comments. you can go see Taiji and heath videos and see the comments there. It's usually Taiji fans who complain about Heath. There are fans who don't, sure thing. But he got a lot of backlash. Like, if you check out this page, supposedly written by multiple X Japan fans, this is what you read: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Music/HiroshiMorie "It's not that he is a bad bassist, it is that he is an average, ordinary bassist who, in 1993, replaced a bass virtuoso."

Didn't you say that the site is not reliable before?

I hadn't known about TV Tropes, but reading your comments, I thought like "Ah, there is a shitty site called TV Tropes". So don't get butthurt with the site that you evaluated shit.

Besides, I never think the comment was written by a Taiji fan. Heath replaced Taiji in 1992, not 1993. How can Taiji fans get confused with the year? His last concert in X was held at Tokyo Dome on January 7, 1992. After the concert, Taiji left X and in the same year, Heath came in. The body of the page and 2 comments on TV Tropes were written "1993". I bet one person, who is not a Taiji fan wrote all of them.

I sometimes look up older threads but I've never found any comments that Taiji admirers bash Heath. Instead, I read a lot of nasty rumors like Taiji would have been fired because of drugs or whatsoever... 

As for YouTube, how are you so convinced that the comments of comparing the two bassists were written by Taiji admirers? Many youtubers select provocative titles to increase views and subscriptions, because people like to compare and evaluate. You said you would ask your bass teacher to evaluate both of them. See. You like to evaluate. Many people like to do it. Did many people write Taiji is better? Taiji is considered to be the best bassist of all time in Japan. It must be harsh for Heath to be compared with Taiji. But even if many people comment that Taiji is better, that doesn't mean Heath is not a good bassist. I think Heath is a great bassist, for sure!

There are many Taiji fans in another X community I belong. In 2010, Taiji came to my country and some fans met him. They really miss him. They are busy with looking for old videos of Taiji, interpreting his letters and blog posts, and planning to visit his grave. They really don't care about Heath. Believe me.

Yeah i guess he is just not the type that wants interaction with the fans, maybe he doesn't want to see the "Taiji was better" comments everywhere.

You seem to say that all the bad things that happen to Heath are due to Taiji. Heath is relatively talkative and looks relaxed when he is with Toshi, but when he is with Yoshiki, he becomes very stiff and nervous. Is it Taiji/Taiji admirer's fault?

When Yoshiki is with Sugizo, his eyes are full of love(https://m.bilibili.com/video/av9236318.html#page=3), but he looks very chill to Heath. Is it also Taiji or Taiji admirers' fault?

You are really shooting the messenger.

I don't mean you should blame Yoshiki for that. Because when you belong to a society, you can't be close to everyone. Heath looks very nervous when he is with Yoshiki, and Yoshiki doesn't look very friendly to Heath. There may or may not be any reason for that. That is society. In any case, Taiji is nothing to do with their relationship, OKAY? 

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: June 01, 2018, 04:46:59 AM
And now I'm very harsh:
Taiji is a freking god on the bass. But where is he know? What did it bring him to be perhaps the best bassist of Japan, a genius? Heath is still around...

You are right. Taiji is a bad guy(I wanna swear at him, but don't know the proper swear word in English). He left this world forever and made his fans sad. I sometimes say to members like Yoshiki and Toshi, "Thank you for being alive". Heath is alive and is a bassist of X. Thank you, Heath!

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: June 01, 2018, 03:21:30 PM
It's not a crime for Yoshiki and Heath to not be friends lol, even though I'm sure they're plenty friendly. I disagree that Heath becomes rigid and nervous around Yoshiki. He might be closer with Toshi but that doesn't mean Heath and Yoshiki are feuding, or that Yoshiki doesn't like Heath.

People can tell when they will or won't click. They obviously get along enough to work with each other for years at a time so I don't see the problem. It says enough that Yoshiki hired the guy. He wouldn't hire someone he didn't like.

We are not trying to keep the legacy—we are trying to move forward, so our sound is going to change. I’m ready to be criticized, for example by fans saying "you should rather be this style." I’m ready for it, I’m okay with any concept of criticism-Yoshiki

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: June 01, 2018, 04:12:37 PM
It's not a crime for Yoshiki and Heath to not be friends lol, even though I'm sure they're plenty friendly. I disagree that Heath becomes rigid and nervous around Yoshiki. He might be closer with Toshi but that doesn't mean Heath and Yoshiki are feuding, or that Yoshiki doesn't like Heath.

I actually agree with you about Heath not being nervous because of Yoshiki, besides it’s been 25 years, They might not be the closest but Heath is not very talkative in general. One of the times I’ve heard him talk the most is during the Lunatic Fest interview, he told many stories and Yoshiki was there. Yoshiki also invited Heath and Pata as special guests to his Otakon performance in 2014 (i think it was that year) and Heath talked a lot in the press conference and laughed with Yoshiki there and all. And there are a few other times like that aswell, mostly post reunion, let’s remember the X Japan Returns phone call was in 1993 and Heath hadn’t been in the band that long, X Japan Returns was his first concert with X Japan!

Another thing about those phone calls. I think Pata called Yoshiki too and that was a very weird talk too, Yoshiki even said “eh? Why are you calling?” And he had known Pata like a decade longer than Heath at this point lol that was a weird phone call. Very weird.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 04:21:32 PM by pt_93 »