• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Engineer brought by Taiji

lakeisle · 3860

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
on: May 29, 2018, 02:15:54 AM
X fans will agree that “Blue Blood” is a legendary album but the sound is not very good. I saw that many fans are bummed out because the guitar sounded very dull and the drums sounded like cans. Of course, X members would have perceived the problem seriously more than anyone. And this sound problem was solved in their next album “Jealousy”. I listened to the X Japan podcast ep.18, and learned that X members met the engineer “Rich Breen” in LA . And they were very pleased with the results of his work. Apparently, Yoshiki has done all the album work with the engineer since then.

http://dogmaticsound.com/?page_id=106

ㄴ Here is Rich Breen’s discography. You can see his works with X/X Japan.

Afterwards, I read an interview and found out that the person who liaised Rich Breen was Taiji. The more I learn about X Japan, the more I realize how much Taiji has contributed to this band.

Here is the interview.

http://blueverse.at.webry.info/201708/article_30.html

1991.6月号 PATi PATi ROCK'N'ROLL Vol.48

Taiji interview at LA on April 12, 1991 (interviewer : 森内淳)

- By the way, it seems that you have found an engineer.

Taiji : It was Manowar(heavy metal band)’s new album that I borrowed from my friend. Listening to it, I felt intuitively that he was the engineer for X. Since X used a lot of sound, it was a challenge to isolate the sound and let it be heard separately. After having made “Blue Blood”, I was suffering with it all the time. “Why does the sound cling to one?” I thought it’s better to spread the sound. And someone called Rich Breen could do it. “Manowar” themselves use quite a lot of sounds. I thought that is similar to X. He(Rich Breen) runs an orchestra, Windham Hill Records or something like that. He belongs to a different sphere from ours.

- How was it when you worked with him?
Taiji : It was a great combination. He has an awesome personality. Above all things, he is not a work-oriented person and has a good sense.

---そういえば,エンジニアの人はタイジさんが見つけてきたそうですね.
TAIJI:
たまたま友達から貸してもらったCDがね,マノウォーの新譜だったんですよ.それを聴いてみたら,なんか直観的に,この人,Xにあうんじゃないかなって.音,凄く使うでしょ,Xって.それをいかに分離してね,聴かせられるかっていうところですよね.『ブルー・ブラッド』を作った後ってずっとそれで悩んでたのね.なんでこう音がひとつに固まるっていうか,そうなっちゃうんだろうなって.音がもっと広がった方がいのになあって思ってて.それをリッチっていう人はやれてたから.マノウォー自体,結構,いろいろと音を使うんですよ.それがXにあうんじゃないかなって.あの人はオーケストラだって,ウィンダムヒルか,そういうものも手がけている人で.全然,畑が違う人なんですよ.

---実際,一緒にやってみてどうでしたか.
TAIJI:
大正解でしたね.性格も凄い合うし,第一,仕事内容がかたよった人ではなく凄くセンスがいいですからね.

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 09:13:51 AM
That's an interesting piece of information. Taiji seemed really invested in the band. Sounds like we have to thank him for the improved sound on Jealousy then.  :D

While I'm away, read this line again...

Teemeah

Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 10:15:45 AM
That's awesome information. Lakeisle, I think we should team up and extend the members' Wikipedia articles with such information? There's so much valuable info in what you share but here on the forum it will not be in an organised manner. If there are realibale sources, like magazines we can cite, this could be added to Taiji's article on Wikipedia. What do you think?

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 02:12:43 AM
When I say Yoshiki is a great musician, but he didn't make X alone...

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 06:21:13 AM
That's awesome information. Lakeisle, I think we should team up and extend the members' Wikipedia articles with such information? There's so much valuable info in what you share but here on the forum it will not be in an organised manner. If there are realibale sources, like magazines we can cite, this could be added to Taiji's article on Wikipedia. What do you think?

Teemeah,

I read Wikipedia often, but I have never written anything in it. Your English is very good, so I would appreciate it if you wrote it there.

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 07:42:45 AM
It is so much more understandable why Taiji was so frustrated about leaving X. That's by far not the only thing he did for X, tho.

positively unsure。