• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Coachella with surprises

Guest · 45548

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #210 on: April 21, 2018, 07:30:25 AM
This is interesting.  30 minute video interview, as well.

On "Jonesy's Jukebox"

The X Japan drummer discusses playing the popular SoCal festival at the same time as Beyoncé, his band's new documentary and his love for David Bowie
NATE HERTWECK GRAMMYS APR 18, 2018 - 8:42 AM
X Japan made their big Coachella debut this past weekend in Indio, Calif. On April 17, the band's drummer, Yoshiki, was the featured guest on Steve Jones' KLOS-FM radio show "Jonesy's Jukebox," where the two discussed everything from favorite rock bands, to X Japan's history, to what it was like going on stage the same time as Beyoncé's instant classic set.

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/yoshiki-talks-x-japan-coachella-david-bowie-more-jonesys-jukebox

ETA: Another interview, short one, different person with Yoshiki.  It's down at the bottom of the page.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 07:48:58 AM by LEMONedMe »

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Teemeah

Reply #211 on: April 21, 2018, 08:25:27 AM
Guys, I read your opinions on war crimes very interestingly. I have tons of things I want to add but holding back, I'd like to post just one thing. It's not very widely known even to Korean fans. I learned it a few days ago. 

In 2006, Toshl performed for the comfort women in Korea. The link to the related article is not found because it is outdated, but there are screenshots of it. In the article, it is written that some of the performance's profit will be donated to the comfort women's community.

And a clip of the performance remains. Toshl sang a traditional Korean song called "The Spring of Home" playing the piano. He sang in Korean and you can hear the audience(comfort women) sang along. Here is the link.   

https://tv.kakao.com/channel/9262/cliplink/384750012

Thank you, Toshl. Korean fans love you.

wow that is very interesting! Though I have mixed feelings about this because this was under Masaya's influence...

Teemeah

Reply #212 on: April 21, 2018, 08:30:57 AM
Sugizo jumps on the bandwagon to say the album is 99.9% done.  ;D

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhzm0kxl51-/

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #213 on: April 21, 2018, 09:56:45 AM
Guys, I read your opinions on war crimes very interestingly. I have tons of things I want to add but holding back, I'd like to post just one thing. It's not very widely known even to Korean fans. I learned it a few days ago. 

In 2006, Toshl performed for the comfort women in Korea. The link to the related article is not found because it is outdated, but there are screenshots of it. In the article, it is written that some of the performance's profit will be donated to the comfort women's community.

And a clip of the performance remains. Toshl sang a traditional Korean song called "The Spring of Home" playing the piano. He sang in Korean and you can hear the audience(comfort women) sang along. Here is the link.   

https://tv.kakao.com/channel/9262/cliplink/384750012

Thank you, Toshl. Korean fans love you.

Thank you for posting this.  Our connection has been very bad tonight so I don't know if I was able to see the whole performance that was on that page but it was nice.

I remember hearing about the Comfort Girls or Comfort Women, before.  I just knew what that meant but after reading your post, I went in search of information about these girls and women.  It's just terrible.  It seems that in every single war and even before this time, way back in history, men have abused women for one reason or another.   

It always makes me wonder why they had to do that.  Why they had to abuse or torture or even kill women and sometimes men, too.  It's sad and it makes me angry because I know of some Vietnam atrocities that I can't locate in any searches but I know what I saw in some videos that were shown at my university and they outraged and saddened me.   I wonder if it's PTSD that makes these people do such things to others, the things they have to go through in their own minds and how horribly it may affect them that they have to turn on others and commit these crimes.  I wonder if we will ever know why these things are done. Just sad.  :'(

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #214 on: April 21, 2018, 11:25:03 AM
A fan informed me a livestreaming channel for the second X Japan gig at Coachella.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RFxoTzu9AQ&feature=youtu.be

It is not the official channel for Coachella. I can not guarantee that the information is accurate.

I hope we can see X Japan in real time on there or other channels.

Sorry guys, 

It is unlikely that the channel will broadcast the second gig at Coachella.

I was mistaken. Sorry again. I'll never post any information other than official information from now on.   

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #215 on: April 21, 2018, 11:33:40 AM
naaa, it's ok. dont be so harsh with yourself

positively unsure。

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #216 on: April 21, 2018, 11:51:52 AM

Oh... that's intresting. Why is he doing this? ^^°

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #217 on: April 21, 2018, 05:42:54 PM

LOL
Even Yoshiki jokes about it saying that 'if Sugizo says people will believe'.

Offline Jade

• View Profile
Reply #218 on: April 21, 2018, 05:44:24 PM

Yoshiki is right though. When Sugizo says it's 99% done, I believe him! xD Now let's see how long the mixing takes...

Yoshiki mentioned in a recent interview they are going to release the new album either summer or early autumn this year but then again he keeps announcing release dates which then get postponed.

I wish he would stop making empty promises, take as much time as he wants and then just let us know when it's actually going to be released!
On the other hand every single time, no matter how often he changes his mind, I believe him when he announces a new date xD It's so frustrating but I can't help it!

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #219 on: April 21, 2018, 05:56:12 PM
When I used to play in a band the mixing was always the hardest. one week for recording and 6 weeks for mixing/mastering....

positively unsure。

Offline Jade

• View Profile
Reply #220 on: April 21, 2018, 06:03:05 PM
When I used to play in a band the mixing was always the hardest. one week for recording and 6 weeks for mixing/mastering....

Let's just assume we are waiting for the new album for 4 years by now (and that's a very generous reduction) if we multiply it by 6 for the mixing and mastering we are looking at 24 years - sounds about right!

Teemeah

Reply #221 on: April 21, 2018, 07:16:41 PM
I think part of the problem is that people keep asking the question (of course), so he feels he needs to give them an answer, instead of just saying "I have no idea". Most reporters would not accept that answer and ask futher questions. I think he is just trying to ditch this with giving a timeframe that of course he cannot keep (for whatever reason, we don't know what is happening behind the scenes).

I also think it is mostly due to this Asian habit of "keeping face" in front of western media, who honestly have no clue about X Japan's history most of the time. To these reporters, "this summer" is a good enough response, if he'd say "well we have been working on it for 20 years and I have no clue when it comes out" would probably sound really really awkward to say to a western journalist you try to get to promote you. You want to break into the west, would you admit to Rolling Stone magazine that your album gets postponed every 2 years? Probably not.... Not very smart way to promote you. Back home he is more open about this, see his own yoshikichannel piece where he basically admitted he is fed up with this question. He would never admit that in front of English speaking journalists.  I think this is the reason for the discrepancy in his style of communication. He wants to appeal to western jouralists.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #222 on: April 22, 2018, 12:28:21 AM
Are we positive there will be no streams broadcast by anyone, tonight? This doesn't sound right to me.  Why stream 24/7 last weekend and nothing this weekend?

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #223 on: April 22, 2018, 03:01:00 AM

Sugizo has been doing this for years too. In 2015 he was asked about the X japan album and he said it was “99% done, almost ready”, he does those comments a couple of time a year but they get less publicity than Yoshiki’s lol

Teemeah

Reply #224 on: April 22, 2018, 08:39:17 AM
Are we positive there will be no streams broadcast by anyone, tonight? This doesn't sound right to me.  Why stream 24/7 last weekend and nothing this weekend?

yes it was not broadcast. The second weekend had the same lineup, so.... probably they thought why broadcast it again?

Teemeah

Reply #225 on: April 22, 2018, 09:10:17 AM
Manson's appearance: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh3Qkoehkhj/?taken-by=esteruchan This account has a few more fancams.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #226 on: April 22, 2018, 10:14:02 AM

yes it was not broadcast. The second weekend had the same lineup, so.... probably they thought why broadcast it again?

I didn't mean Coachella's personnel or whomever was responsible for the broadcasts last week.  I meant private companies or even individuals who broadcast on their own via platforms such as Periscope or stream directly to Facebook or through their own youtube channels.  Many of these people will announce, in advance, usually on twitter, that they are going to broadcast and give the link so that people will know in advance and have the stream up and running in advance so they can watch the show via the streamer's channel.  There is also an audio only platform called mixlr where people will broadcast audio the same way.  Those often have a chatroom connected with them, like the ones on certain youtube channels and people can join in chatting together if they wish.  Or, others can just have the channel open and listen to the concert.

I checked off and on, all platforms I know of and searched for streams on twitter but found none.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #227 on: April 22, 2018, 01:24:35 PM
Seems like the Marilyn Manson appearance was only to sing Sweet Dreams with Yoshiki on Piano. He didn't destroy any X song.
From what I see on Instagram, everything went well. Sugizo posted that "we got our revenge". Toshi's voice wasn't so good as it was on the first concert, but the concert overall was way better than the first weekend. They looked more energic, the sound was good, the holograms worked. Everything right.

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #228 on: April 22, 2018, 03:55:37 PM
I prefer Tainted Love from Soft Cell ._.

positively unsure。

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #229 on: April 22, 2018, 08:41:11 PM
my first thinking was "is he drunk?"  ;D

positively unsure。

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #230 on: April 23, 2018, 04:23:58 AM

lolololol

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #231 on: April 23, 2018, 06:00:30 AM
LOL yeah. What the hell, Yoshiki.

That aside... He talks about going to do something very "shocking" with MM as a guest and than he does the most unsurprising and unshocking thing, by just playing one of his songs? I was hoping for a bit more...

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #232 on: April 23, 2018, 09:10:03 AM

The answer is yes. Dude has the funniest screaming voice  :o

That aside... He talks about going to do something very "shocking" with MM as a guest and than he does the most unsurprising and unshocking thing, by just playing one of his songs? I was hoping for a bit more...

I had imagined all kinds of "shocking" things, from fake blood to Dir en Grey-ish stage antics and all I got was a pretty nice ballad, sang by a very tame Manson. He only even dropped the F bomb once.

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #233 on: April 23, 2018, 09:38:15 AM
It's amazing in a way that when Yoshiki is talking, he has a very soft, gentle voice but when he screams, he sounds like a banshee.  ;D  Doesn't quite make sense to me.  One is faked, I think.  Which one?  When he's pissed off, he can curse up a storm, apparently from what I've heard.

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #234 on: April 23, 2018, 10:04:42 AM
I think both are his "real" voice. The high-pitched girly one and the screaming voice. But he strains his voice a lot when screaming... I don't like it. I like his cute voice better. ^.^

btw... a little bit disappointed by his performance with MM. Nothing special to see or hear here. It was nice and all. But nice is not what I was expecting.

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #235 on: April 23, 2018, 10:10:38 AM
I sure do agree with your last part, there.  For me, it was a let down. I was expecting so much more and I don't even like Manson.  I don't like his voice and I really don't like how he looks or his makeup.  Yech. LOL

Maybe that soft voice is the most normal for him and screaming is forced therefore, he sounds hoarse.  How can he be hoarse like that without even singing? Yeah.  I think the screaming is forced and so much so that it sounds like he's lost his voice.

Oh I found a great, very old video of Yoshiki and Toshi plus other X members and I do think it's probably X and not X Japan.  It's hilarious but I don't know where to put it.  I'll look around and find somewhere on here. LOL

Offline helenmoon

• Sunday Listener
  • kiss the sky
    • View Profile
Reply #236 on: April 23, 2018, 10:48:40 AM

Your scars are beautiful

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #237 on: April 25, 2018, 05:59:13 AM
Some videos from the 2nd week. The band sounds great and Toshi and Sugizo are both having a blast, love it.

Jade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B64B-oeYHa4

Rusty Nail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfJBYV-bG4Q

I.V
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYqheWdEBWA

Teemeah

Reply #238 on: April 25, 2018, 07:31:07 AM
This looks awesome, thank you! I'm sure they got a few new fans there and whatever our expectations first were, with many criticizing Yoshiki for this move, I think it was a good decision to play there. Despite the first weekend technical fiasco. they got tons of publicity from major newspapers/magazines and they got nothing else but praise. They became THE BAND that played opposite Beyonce. If you really want to break into Western music scenes, you need to get out there and play major festivals. They should go on to play other festivals, also in Europe. I'd love to see them at Sziget Festival :)

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #239 on: April 25, 2018, 08:35:55 AM
They should play on RockHarz... Dir en Grey and Luna Sea was there years ago afair

positively unsure。