Coachella with surprises

Guest · 45538

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #90 on: April 15, 2018, 05:20:07 AM
Sooooo did we decide on a place to chat or what? I don't mind starting a discord group just for this/these Coachella shows.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #91 on: April 15, 2018, 05:24:12 AM
Sooooo did we decide on a place to chat or what? I don't mind starting a discord group just for this/these Coachella shows.
Where would you have the discord group?

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #92 on: April 15, 2018, 05:31:22 AM
Where would you have the discord group?

"Where"? On the app (?) Discord also has a phone app too, if that's an issue

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #93 on: April 15, 2018, 05:33:38 AM
https://discord.gg/dQRwqu

Here guys, join in.

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #94 on: April 15, 2018, 05:43:52 AM
I'm ready!

BTW, has anyone noticed that the time changed for X Japan's set on the official Coachella?? Yoshiki keeps saying that it's 11 or so, but the 3rd channel says 12:05 AM (midnight basically).

Coachella 3rd channel (check the tab for the set times & you'll see it too) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyh9blvR54Q

Offline Guruxo

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #95 on: April 15, 2018, 07:08:12 AM
I'm ready!

BTW, has anyone noticed that the time changed for X Japan's set on the official Coachella?? Yoshiki keeps saying that it's 11 or so, but the 3rd channel says 12:05 AM (midnight basically).

Coachella 3rd channel (check the tab for the set times & you'll see it too) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyh9blvR54Q

I think they ran out of spots for the livestreaming, looks like we'll only see half of X's show :(

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #96 on: April 15, 2018, 10:17:21 AM

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #97 on: April 15, 2018, 10:32:38 AM

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #98 on: April 15, 2018, 11:19:04 AM
Link to the concert uploaded on Mega.
If you have any problems downloading please let me know.  Format is MP4

https://mega.nz/#!6S4UVCLC!lBS7IrS5YN4FBwJWYRzTeP4_r3O0jCfCsXsnftZrtO8

Teemeah

Reply #99 on: April 15, 2018, 12:14:27 PM
It worked perfectly, thank you!  8)

Offline Guruxo

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #100 on: April 15, 2018, 12:24:49 PM
Thanks for recording the concert  ;D

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #101 on: April 15, 2018, 01:03:14 PM
Thank you, LEMONedME. Nice screenshots.

BTW, they say that the second stage isn't broadcast. So sad.

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #102 on: April 15, 2018, 01:51:36 PM
(btw. who is this girl in her bra on the stage? besides he is half naked her music is really good)

Lol the girl in all white (in the bra) is elohim & she is so legit. Her 2nd album is being released next week too (I'm actually gonna go see her that Friday for her concert in L.A.). Give her a listen when you get a chance

thank you so much! I've listened to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WlzWbMrbjQ

How impressive is it when someone stands on stage and makes the electronic music "live" and sings it in such a beautiful way...

Do you have a link to her first album? Maybe Amazon or so? I've preordered her second album https://www.amazon.de/Elohim/dp/B07B5WCXT6/

positively unsure。

Offline Astralmind

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #103 on: April 15, 2018, 02:37:24 PM
Massive thanks for the recording!

Thoughts on the show? Only watched Jade so far. Awesome to see Yoshiki actually drumming. Toshi is struggling a lot, looks like he's got serious issues with his voice, sounded almost sick? From the whole band, a Very cold and detached performance for an opening number, either stressed out or the imagine they were going for? Could be the late time, jetlag.. But they looked very much in their bubble for lack of better words. Very sober and stoic.

And those LED strips in the drum set lol :)

Maybe the energy kicks in later on.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #104 on: April 15, 2018, 03:29:49 PM
 I couldn't be awake to see the livestreaming of Coachella. Due do the timezone differences, it started about 3AM here.
Waiting to see if someone recorded it and will upload anywhere. Based on what I saw on Instagram, the holograms were used on X, to show the "7 members" on stage. It was reasonable. X and Kurenai remain a key lower, as I suspected.

But I am curious to see how they performed the whole concert, and the reaction of the crowd. Sugizo posted on Twitter that they had some problems with the sound equipments.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 03:49:19 PM by Joker »

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #105 on: April 15, 2018, 03:53:12 PM
I couldn't be awake to see the livestreaming of Coachella. Due do the timezone differences, it started about 3AM here.
Waiting to see if someone recorded it and will upload anywhere. Based on what I saw on Instagram, the holograms were used on X, to show the "7 members" on stage. It was reasonable. X and Kurenai remain a key lower, as I suspected.

But I am curious to see how they performed the whole concert, and the reaction of the crowd. Sugizo posted on Twitter that they had some problems with the sound equipments.

LOL. Joker, look UP about 5 or 6 posts.  The link is there for the download.  Enjoy!  8)

Teemeah

Reply #106 on: April 15, 2018, 04:05:35 PM
Despite the sound issues it was really a great concert. :) Toshi really did his best. Sugizo had a lot of issues with his guitar sound. He wasn't pleased. :)

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #107 on: April 15, 2018, 04:22:41 PM

he had that too at the last performances in japan

positively unsure。

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #108 on: April 15, 2018, 04:32:35 PM

LOL. Joker, look UP about 5 or 6 posts.  The link is there for the download.  Enjoy!  8)

Wow, didn't notice it. Thanks!

Teemeah

Reply #109 on: April 15, 2018, 04:39:47 PM

he had that too at the last performances in japan

I think the colorful leds looked awesome in the dark.

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #110 on: April 15, 2018, 05:15:18 PM
Glad they were able to perform as a full band with Sugizo but that wasn't one of their best shows by far....where to begin...

I think showing the clips from We Are X and old concerts on the screen has its place in Japan where the fans KNOW the background but it probably confused a lot of people at Coachella. Also, complete respect for hide and Taiji but to literally turn on the holograms for a few moments of X? Again, super confusing and weird for potential new fans.

Sugizo had major guitar issues which sucks but it kind of also highlighted how weak Pata's playing has become. I could hear him lagging behind Sugizo at times..they were not tight. Lowered key of Kurenai and X sounds like garbage and I'm not convinced it's for Toshi 100%, I mean he's singing quite normally in my opinion on other songs. These 2 classics now sound like demo tracks and the solos just sound neutered.

Entire band was probably pretty jet lagged and tired, hopefully the 2nd show in a week is tighter. Interested to hear reviews from those who attended.

Teemeah

Reply #111 on: April 15, 2018, 05:24:35 PM
I think they had technical issues that were not their fault, but Coachella's. And this could be the reason for the holograms, as well, they only switched it on for a couple of seconds, i hardly think that was the original intention. Sugizo complained that he couldn't hear the notes, maybe Pata also had issues with his earpiece? A few times Toshi also looked like he lost the sound in his earpiece. These are hardly the fault of the band, who played two near-perfect shows a few days before with the same setlist :)

Offline sasasama

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #112 on: April 15, 2018, 05:37:35 PM
Yepp, they obviously had major technical issues, and they all feel really bad about it. It was weird for me as well, that I couldn't hear Sugizo from the very beginning to the end, but looks like, he couldn't hear himself either. Which sucks. For the holograms, come on, look at the Hide one. It was almost all black... And one of the keys of Yoshiki's piano was vibrating and sounded like trash all the time, I had no idea what happened there. But I feel really bad for them. :( Some people on Twitter said, that Yoshiki even regretteg doing the show. I don't know if it's true, I'm still waiting for that Yoshiki Channel, which was after their performance. But I can imagine how dissapointed they are. I hope they can fix things for the next performance.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #113 on: April 15, 2018, 05:53:37 PM
I think they had technical issues that were not their fault, but Coachella's.

The sound issues were on the Coachella's side, Sugizo said on Twitter something about "I hope Coachella staff can make the sound better on the next concert". Still didn't watch the video, but by Sugizo twitter I noticed that he had some serious issues with the sound on the stage.

Glad they were able to perform as a full band with Sugizo but that wasn't one of their best shows by far....where to begin...

I think showing the clips from We Are X and old concerts on the screen has its place in Japan where the fans KNOW the background but it probably confused a lot of people at Coachella. Also, complete respect for hide and Taiji but to literally turn on the holograms for a few moments of X? Again, super confusing and weird for potential new fans.

Sugizo had major guitar issues which sucks but it kind of also highlighted how weak Pata's playing has become. I could hear him lagging behind Sugizo at times..they were not tight. Lowered key of Kurenai and X sounds like garbage and I'm not convinced it's for Toshi 100%, I mean he's singing quite normally in my opinion on other songs. These 2 classics now sound like demo tracks and the solos just sound neutered.

Entire band was probably pretty jet lagged and tired, hopefully the 2nd show in a week is tighter. Interested to hear reviews from those who attended.

I think it would be better to use the holograms on Japan concerts, not on Coachella, where most people didn't know them. It would be better to show "what is X now" to people who don't know them.
They can be really tired due to the schedule and jet lag, mainly Sugizo, which had all the visa issues and was the last one to arrive. Pata lagging behind Sugizo isn't something new, since the 2015 concerts yoy can notice it, mainly on X solo. While I see the whole band improving, Pata unfortunately seems to getting worse. Even Yoshiki playing "weaker" now sound great, he played very well on Zepp concerts. Toshi is singing quite well most songs, but Kurenai and X are quite harder than the other ones (so is Drain, which he couldn't sing properly for years).

But something that was TOTALLY UNNECESSARY was the Yoshiki on wheelchair videos.

Teemeah

Reply #114 on: April 15, 2018, 06:03:47 PM
Yeah the wheelchair video was cringeworthy. I think Yoshiki wanted the holograms because he promised that since hide and taiji wanted so bad to perform overseas and get the band known overseas, he sees it as an obligation to pursue their dreams and to make their name known. At least one promise he acts upon ;)

Offline Astralmind

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #115 on: April 15, 2018, 06:15:52 PM
Alright, done watchign the whole thing - once again, major thanks to LEMONedMe.

So... the good news to me was that Toshi's voice did improve dramatically (almost odd) after Jade and while he did struggle in some parts, he did pretty well all things considered.

Another very positive element was Yoshiki's drumming. Truly impressive to see him on this level after the surgery. Different style but as others have said, it sounds good. Very happy for him!

That being said, the whole band felt really disconnected, I think it's the worst I've seen/heard in a very long time if not ever. Major sounds issues seemed to have plagues Sugizo but everyone else as well (Toshi constantly tapping on his monitor etc..). Sound was abysmal and they obviously knew it which is really awful and unfair to them.

The guitar solos sounded disastrous (Endless rain anyone ? Ugh.. cringe worthy).  How much of it was to be blamed on technicalities vs actual performance, I don't know. I never really noticed Pata's skills going downhill like that.. must be my total denial about the issue I guess. This is really odd though isn't it ? Skilled musicians don't become terrible with age.. generally speaking, they constantly improve (I can think of numerous examples as most of my favorite bands are getting in the pretty damn old territory lol) Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, hell even Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer....just to name a few.

The setlist was typical and I guess I'll just have to accept and shut up about it but man are their newer songs not as good as their old stuff.. no way around it. Too bad... On the bright side, I do appreciate full Japanese lyrics where warranted as opposed to forced translations (I think they dropped those a while back but still, good stuff).

One last thing that really puzzled me - The holograms, the wheelchair video clip, the vintage style overdone extreme extended "We are, we are" and "Endless rain fall on my heart rinse and repeat", the " WWOooooooooo Woooo wo wooooo for kiss the sky years down the road", the failed attempts at getting the crowd to fill in the chorus.. - Who the hell thought for one second these were good ideas, appropriate for an American festival (not related to their music style on top of it) ? Can you imagine being the random curious Coachella concert goer witnessing all this ? Out of a 50 minutes or so prestation, 10 minutes were at least 'wasted' on what probably made no sense at all to most people. What an odd choice. On one end they move their style to a more pop friendly sound with all English lyrics and attend random festivals for the sake of "Rocking America" and on the other they chose to overdo their already tired theatricals with this new audience. Weird..
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 06:18:22 PM by Astralmind »

Teemeah

Reply #116 on: April 15, 2018, 06:29:17 PM
Theatricals have always been part of X. Why expect them to drop it? They were very reserved and conservative with it comapred to their Japanese shows, though. It was toned down a LOT. Yoshiki kept his speech to a very minimum, he didn't faint nor did he do any weird drum smashing. He did a little here and there, but that's part of what they are. Why should they totally become something different for the sake of a festival? I think Toshi was pretty successful with the Kiss the sky crowd singing considering all things, and there were still X fans in the audience, as well. You can make people sing if you want to, I've seen other unknown artists do that at festivals. It's called interaction. If they totally subdue their true selves, they would give a different picture to potential new fans. I don't see the benefit in that. If someone likes their shit, they will like the real X Japan, and if it is notup someone's alley, they won't like the subdued version, either. They are cray Japanese dudes, everyone knows that Japanese are crazy, I don't think anyone in that audience expected anything else. :D The technical issues did leave a bad taste in the band's mouth for sure, but Toshi really tried his best to overcome these and he was smiling and warm and hyping up the crowd. Considering all the issues that were not their fault, I think this was a pretty good show.

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #117 on: April 15, 2018, 06:38:40 PM
I havent watched, yet. I still REALLY want to see them again, and I'm sure they are still good live, but I have to say I am glad I saw them in 2010. Their energy was still close to the old days and that USA theater tour was fantastic. No weird videos, Sugizo was coming into his own and playing way more live, the setlist was really good with almost no extended breaks or interuptions...

The "We are..." chants, Endless Rain crowd participation, etc are trademark parts of X shows, now, but they have always struggled with excess junk during their sets... Theatrics in an X show are a must, but it's always important to have good balance. The fashion shows, indulgent solo portions, speeches and intermissions at inappropriate times, etc
could be way overbored at times. Even in the old days. They were always one of the best live bands imo, and they were at their best when they just played ferociously combined with some theatrics that fed of their energy (crazy costumes, a Yoshiki solo or two, some stage diving, lights and pyro, and some of the audience call and response stuff like in Endless Rain, IV, Orgasm) its just important to keep momentum going imo. I loved the theatrics during the 2010-2011 tours because they weren't over done and added to the shows.

Having some weird wheelchair video (come on, Yoshiki...) as part of a short, USA festival set sounds like a terrible idea. Kiss The Sky also seems like a wasted section of the set. It isnt even a song, right now.

Sound issues suck, and there is no way around that. I feel bad they had technical issues. Ill try and watch and actually judge, later.

Teemeah

Reply #118 on: April 15, 2018, 06:44:59 PM
Yeah, see for yourself, I don't think the theatrics were overdone. Yoshiki had a 1 minute speech, really, seriously, nothing longer, and he hit the gong at the end and shouted we are x a few times and went to the crowd as he usually does. That wa sit. 5 minutes maximum.

Offline Astralmind

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #119 on: April 15, 2018, 06:56:25 PM
Yeah, see for yourself, I don't think the theatrics were overdone. Yoshiki had a 1 minute speech, really, seriously, nothing longer, and he hit the gong at the end and shouted we are x a few times and went to the crowd as he usually does. That wa sit. 5 minutes maximum.

Fair enough. They certainly were tame compared to what they've done in the past, that's for sure. But I still felt some moments were odd considering the general concept of them attending an event such as Coachella. Maybe theatrics wasn't the appropriate term in this case but Kiss the sky out of a short show and some attempts at crowd interaction just didn't work for me. Probably because the band didn't appear to be enjoying themselves and play as a band. Technical issues compounded with jetlag probably explains all this but you have to admit, there was little chemistry between themselves and the crowd. Toshi did try hard to overcome those issues and warmed up pretty nicely through the prestation. Yoshiki never had any issues with his stage presence, lets just put it that way ;)

I've been following these guys for over 20 years now and thought their MSG show was pretty damn awesome all things considered so I have hope they keep going for the right reasons. Let's see what the next one looks like.