• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Help with a song

dbtjenn · 2008

Offline dbtjenn

• Rookie
    • View Profile
on: March 19, 2018, 09:24:54 PM
Hey all! I'm new here, but I'm hoping someone can help me with a song identification. I've been watching "X Live in Tokyo Dome 1991" on YouTube and in the middle of the concert, about 1:05, Toshi, Pata and Taiji play an acoustic song. I've never heard this song! Can anyone identify it? Also, who is singing backing vocals? You can't see Taiji's face at all so I can't tell if it's him - if so, he has a great voice. Here's the link to the concert:

https://youtu.be/PbanbdWCFRg

Thanks a million
-j

Teemeah

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 09:31:54 PM
Hi and welcome to the community! That song is Voiceless Screaming, a song composed by Taiji and written by Toshi. I haven't seen this footage before, the backing vocals are very strong, and to me it doesn't sound like Taiji , based on his previous backing vocals in other songs, and also in other footages of this song. But maybe avid Taiji fans who heard him sing elsehwere will be able to tell.

Here is another footage from another concert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Ip5Xf4Ess

EDIT: according to comments elsewhere, this is not Taiji singing the backing vocals, it is a pre-recorded unknown backing vocal.

Here in thus cut, at 2:22, you can see Taiji is nowhere near the mic, his head is also bent down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4q_bCtge_w
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:36:01 PM by Teemeah »

Offline dbtjenn

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 09:47:24 PM
Ahah! That would explain why I couldn't find anything with a Google search - I thought it was "Voices Screaming". Thank you for the info!

And thanks for the welcome - I'm in DEEP with this band. I'm just discovering them, after years and years of working for rock bands, much to my embarrassment. After randomly watching the documentary one day, I went on a tear through all of their records and am currently working my way through all the Youtube content I can find. I'm absolutely smitten with their music and I can't even describe why to any of my friends - it's just something you have to feel for yourself, I guess. It's led me to a whole new life; I'm even studying Japanese now, hardcore. Even though it's the music that hooked me, I am really enjoying getting to know the story and their personalities. I'll even admit to a little bit of fangirling - I ran around the house screaming for about 20 minutes when Yoshiki followed me on Twitter. :D I'm so happy to find a place where I can learn more and meet people who feel the same.

-j

Teemeah

Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 10:15:50 PM
aww I know the feeling :) I never even liked heavy metal before and here I am totally in love with this band :D There is something very magnetic in both the music and the personalities of the members. :) Voiceless Screaming is a beautiful song, it was written about Toshi's experience when he lost his voice temporarily, which is of course a big blow for a vocalist. This is one of my favourite songs, I just love Toshi's emotional voice in this :) Did you see the all-acoustic concert from last year? They did acoustic renditions of their popular songs. I think it is seriously the best X concert ever made and I'm saying this as a fan who LOVES their old footages.

Offline helenmoon

• Sunday Listener
  • kiss the sky
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 10:30:59 PM
Ahah! That would explain why I couldn't find anything with a Google search - I thought it was "Voices Screaming". Thank you for the info!

And thanks for the welcome - I'm in DEEP with this band. I'm just discovering them, after years and years of working for rock bands, much to my embarrassment. After randomly watching the documentary one day, I went on a tear through all of their records and am currently working my way through all the Youtube content I can find. I'm absolutely smitten with their music and I can't even describe why to any of my friends - it's just something you have to feel for yourself, I guess. It's led me to a whole new life; I'm even studying Japanese now, hardcore. Even though it's the music that hooked me, I am really enjoying getting to know the story and their personalities. I'll even admit to a little bit of fangirling - I ran around the house screaming for about 20 minutes when Yoshiki followed me on Twitter. :D I'm so happy to find a place where I can learn more and meet people who feel the same.

-j

Ahah!! So I'm not the only one to go off the deep... :D More or less here we are all slightly mad like you... so relax and love X Japan! ;D  8) I lost my head for hide... It happened one of the first days of the last October... and it seemed to me almost 'unbearable' and somehow inevitable...  :-*

Your scars are beautiful

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 10:40:31 PM
Also, let me add that they played White Wind From Mr. Martin right before Voiceless Screaming, both songs from the Jealousy album. I first heard of X when I was 13, many many years ago and I have seen tons of footage over the years but the acoustic concert from last year is truly one of the best I've seen, Toshi carried the whole thing IMO his voice was (is) in top form and he has so much energy, reminded me of old school Toshi, running around, screaming.

I had probably the opposite experience Teemeah, I was already into metal at the time but I listened to Blue Blood and about 1 minute in I decided i hated X Japan (I love that song now) and put them away for a couple of months but they kept popping up, so i gave them another try and here we are. Welcome dbtjenn! I'm also studying japanese, I wanted to do it a long time ago but life kinda got in the way haha

Offline dbtjenn

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 12:12:42 AM
Sweet! I'm gonna have to find that acoustic concert. I'm really, really, really hoping for a tour soon - tho from what I understand, this band isn't very accomodating for impatient folks...  ;D

Soo, I just watched the "official" (?) Celebration video and whaaaaaat the hell? I continue to be shocked and to laugh my butt off while uncontrollably rocking out.
Thanks y'all!
-j

Teemeah

Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 10:03:49 AM
Oh they will hold a few other surprises along the way, no worries :D Try this really old amateur footage from 1986 when Toshi had ... um... interesting stage clothes and an even weirder hairdo :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHvcE9Tgm_s This was before hide and Taiji joined, so still with the pre-stable lineup, in a really small club :D The humble beginnings :D They WERE CRAZY AS SH*T!! :D

Yeah I also hope for a tour. I hope Yoshiki will survive the April concerts in Japan and Coachella and they can continue touring. I want them to come back to Europe, because I got to know them a FEW DAYS AFTER the London gig. I facepalmed myself so hard.... I hope I can see them play live once in this lifetime before Yoshiki completely ruins his health or Pata drinks himself into oblivion.

Offline dbtjenn

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 08:14:09 PM
Oh man, what is up with those pants Toshi... and wow, even back then Yoshiki was standing up on the drum stool! Love this! I swear there is SO much footage of this band, and thank goodness. I bet there's a ton out there that's never been put online.

I too hope Yoshiki doesn't screw himself up. I thought I read that Pata had quit drinking, but who knows - I've worked with a lot of bands, and I don't know of many alcoholic musicians that can take touring without succumbing to a drink. How sad - he's a fantastic player and seems like the most humble of the bunch.

Oh, I bet that London show was awesome - how heartbreaking! It kills me that I missed their most recent American "tour" (can you call so few shows a tour?) - I didn't know about them yet either. Seems now more folks are catching on, which is great, but that was a good chance to see them in a smaller place.

I have beat myself up over and over for not getting Coachella tickets. I probably could pull some strings and still go, but I really really hate festivals. I've been to Coachella before with one of my bands and it's not fun, even for the artists - too big, too rushed, too many idiots. I just can't sacrifice that kind of expense and time for what will likely be a 30-40 minute show. However, if something happens and that's the last one they ever do I'll never forgive myself! Is anyone here going?

-j