• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

X JAPAN to perform at Coachella?

Joker · 5641

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
on: January 03, 2018, 01:46:05 AM
Well, Coachella page on Facebook just posted the lineup for 2018. And X Japan is on it. And I find it even weirder than it was on Lollapalooza.
https://www.facebook.com/coachella/photos/a.10150107107306648.319535.20281766647/10155794308776648/?type=3

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 02:13:14 AM
Well that is definitely them. Utterly strange Yoshiki isnt parading this everywhere. Maybe it'll be like 2010 where we for a few USA dates around killa. Thatd be pretty great for me

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 02:29:35 AM
This is HUGE. Wondering why there was nothing from him before this. Hope there's more to come.

Edit: They're definitely not really fitting in with the "Coachella vibe"; much less than they did @ Lollapalooza as you mentioned, Joker. In fact, you can see on FB the comments are rife with disappointment at the lack of rock music. This will be interesting.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 02:32:48 AM by Feudal »

Teemeah

Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 08:01:43 AM
I hope this means new album, and a world tour! :) (puhhleese Yoshiki, you need to come back to Europe!)

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 08:52:43 AM
Great that they are performing at a festival. Although I would have preferred them to perform at a more rock/metal kind of festival ... on the other hand, GNR played there in 2016 and it worked out good.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 08:56:15 AM
I legit thought this was a joke and laughed my ass off at the mental image of the band in elaborate flower crowns.

Then I realized it was for real.

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Teemeah

Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 09:28:14 AM
Yoshiki can wear his flowery Princess dress again!

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 10:26:08 AM
Aaaaaaaaand Yoshiki confirmed it will be the "comeback" (once more).
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdea2cGAxGU/

Teemeah

Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 10:28:31 AM

what comeback? I don't see any reference to that. He says he will play the drums again. Which makes sense, since he already did during the Kouhaku performance, so it was expected he would work on his drumming again systematically.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 10:57:06 AM
I still can't get over the mental image of the band in full blown Coachella apparel.

Somebody posted Coachella's lineup on a Facebook group that's all about J-rock memes and funny pictures and I thought it was one hell of a funny and clever photoshop. Then I woke up this morning and it was for real. I'm literally spitting my coffee.

Offline Hyunkel

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 11:42:14 AM
Waow that's unexpected and pretty awesome!

Hope Yoshiki is really able to play drums again ^^"

..Close your eyes and I'll kill you in the rain...

...Art of Life An Eternal Bleeding Heart...

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 12:17:06 PM
I still can't get over the mental image of the band in full blown Coachella apparel.

I don't think it's a necessity to dress in any particular kind of way, at least GNR didn't do that in 2016. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQlUhLHz8NU

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 01:52:57 PM

I don't think it's a necessity to dress in any particular kind of way, at least GNR didn't do that in 2016. ;)

True story, but I'm a die-hard European metalhead. To me, Coachella = hot blonde american bitches in crochet crop tops and flower crowns. No exceptions. There's no way I can imagine X playing at Coachella without channeling a very unpleasant mental image of Pata half naked dressed like a Kardashian.  8)

Teemeah

Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 01:56:14 PM
Is this a hippie festival? If so, I wouldn't mind a mostly-naked Heath, though. Only covered by his bass. Mmm... Yoshiki in see-through princess-dress. Toshi without sunglasses (that would already be an experience close to orgasm). Sugizo would love being hippie-naked with a rose in his hair. Just be sure to install a couple of mirrors on stage so he can admire himself.

Ahh my fanfic writing self has emerged hehhehehhe. :D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 02:29:12 PM by Teemeah »

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 02:53:56 PM
HOAHAHAHAHAAHAAH, Teemeah, thanks for the gross mental images you burned onto my mind now. I think I need to wash my brain with bleach now.  ;D

By the way, nice photo of Sugizo's curtain hairdo.

Teemeah

Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 03:29:53 PM
That's not gross, that's sexy as hell :D haha. Sugizo rocks this hair, honestly. It gives him an ethereal vibe. I wish Toshi would consult Sugizo's hairdresser instead of his own. *sigh*

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 03:56:50 PM
The fuck

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 09:58:31 PM
I've lost count of the number of times I have seen the word "comeback"

Jesus Christ, it's been 10 years already. That's the same amount of time since Vanishing Vision release and The Last Live.

hi there

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: January 04, 2018, 12:22:12 AM
I've lost count of the number of times I have seen the word "comeback"

Jesus Christ, it's been 10 years already. That's the same amount of time since Vanishing Vision release and The Last Live.

Yeah, it's quite pathetic that entire bands form, rise, peak, and disband in often less time than X Japan have done since their 2008 "comeback/reunion". 2010-11 had promise but after the World Tour things just fizzled out. They needed to release the album but Yoshker-strudel didn't have it ready. Coachella is simply another feather in his cap, like MSG and Wembley. What presence and right do they even have being there? It's huge but such a misfit at the same time. Yoshiki's got connections and that in my opinion is the only reason why they're there.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 12:24:27 AM by Feudal »

Teemeah

Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 07:46:24 AM
Can you please point out where the fuck you see the word comeback on any of his posts? Because by the love of Jesus, I don't, no matter how many times I read his insta posts, I just don't see the fucking "comeback" reference anywhere.  :)

Teemeah

Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 07:52:17 AM
What presence and right do they even have being there? It's huge but such a misfit at the same time. Yoshiki's got connections and that in my opinion is the only reason why they're there.

I seriously don't get you people. I seriously don't. Really, what can anyone do to please you guys? If they don't go anywhere, you complain that they are idle, they don't do anything, hahahha why are they even calling themselves a band. if they do anything, the only thing you do is criticize immediately. What right do they have? A right like any other fucking band on that fucking lineup. The world doesn't revolve around American music, thankfully. You know what, I BET now a million trillion dollars that if that album ever drops, the first thing you will do is complain about it. Why are you guys even here? why the fuck are you even calling yourselves X japan fans if you can't even do one second without complaining about anything they do. If they give a concert, it's a complaint, if they don't, you complain. Can you just decide already what the fuck would make you happy?

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 09:31:50 AM
I love X and I couldn't be happier to see them alive and kicking, but I also have mixed feelings about this. It's great that they're breaking into the sacred mainstream ground but I can't help but think their management's strategy is a bit questionable. Their loyal fans are sure going to go and see them at Coachella but I don't think they have any chances of making new fans out of your typical Coachella-goers. It's like selling ski gear on a Hawaiian beach.

X is kind of niche in the west. You need a certain openness of mind and a certain ability to enjoy stuff that's completely different from what you see everyday to enjoy what they do. All the 'normies' I've ever introduced X to laughed in my face and asked me why the fuck was I listening to a bunch of cross-dressing asian faggots and their hilarious Engrish. The said normies didn't even care to notice that the actual music was kickass and that in the 1980s East you were not necessarily considered a cringe-worthy faggot if you fancied going out wearing your mom's nightgown. (the next level would be accepting that it's okay to be a faggot, but that would be asking too much of their peanut-sized brains)

(The road from normie to woke is long and winding, dear friends, but it sure as fuck is damn worth it  8) )

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:33:37 AM by matsumoto »

Teemeah

Reply #22 on: January 04, 2018, 09:59:56 AM
It's their choice to go there, so let it be their frigging choice. Whether or not it pleases normie Coachella goers, who the fuck cares? It's an opportunity to play. Most bands who want to do anything outside of their own country/fandom, will go to play at festivals. And even if some people don't agree with the choice of festival, do you really need to be negative about it from the get go? How does it make any of us "woke"? This kind of thinking is as closed-minded and restrictive as those "normies'" thinking about X Japan's looks and music. You are writing down an opportunity based solely on your own perception of what Coachella is like to you. If it wasn't derogatory for Guns 'N Roses to play there, why the hell would it be derogatory for X Japan? Or why would it be not okay or X to play any festival they are invited to?

I would love to see them at Sziget, for example. They are SO NOT the type of band they usually invite, but who the hell  cares? Festival organisers are also looking into diversity a lot more, trying to attract more diverse audiences. I signed a Turkish numetal band to Sziget a few years ago, despite all the odds of nobody having heard of them in Europe. NOBODY. They had quite a number of fans in Turkey, but in Central Europe, probably 10 - me and my Tukophile friends. Sziget was hooked on their music, and signed them to the rock stage of some 2000 capacity, despite all the odds. Their manager was joking with me (I have video proof of that), saying "well, maybe we will play to 10 people then". They were still eager to come. They were not paid shit, the festival arranged transport and lodging only. You know what, they filled the 2000 capacity tent to the brim. There were some 50 people in front row when they came on stage, some Turks who lived in the vicinity. They started playing, and 2 songs later, the tent was full. they brought boxes of their album and all were gone after the show. A completely unknown band from a Muslim country.  :)

I wish people could stop all this WHY THEY CAN'T mentality and would focus on WHAT THEY CAN do. If they want to play Coachella, they should. If you don't want to go and see because it is derogatory to you to set foot there, nobody forces you to go.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 10:10:39 AM
I must say that even if I have mixed feelings about this, I like your way of thinking, Teemeah. You have a point. If it ultimately makes a bunch of people happy, then why the hell not. It's a different way of seeing things, but not less legitimate. I don't think Yoshiki would accept to play somewhere he doesn't want to, so I guess he's happy about this too.

(Off topic) I didn't know Sziget, but it sounds cool. Care to share the name of that Turkish band? I have a lot of Turkish friends (and I freaking love Middle Eastern culture, say what you will, but it is way more than just a bunch of ultrareligious boring people).

Teemeah

Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 10:28:11 AM
I must say that even if I have mixed feelings about this, I like your way of thinking, Teemeah. You have a point. If it ultimately makes a bunch of people happy, then why the hell not. It's a different way of seeing things, but not less legitimate. I don't think Yoshiki would accept to play somewhere he doesn't want to, so I guess he's happy about this too.

(Off topic) I didn't know Sziget, but it sounds cool. Care to share the name of that Turkish band? I have a lot of Turkish friends (and I freaking love Middle Eastern culture, say what you will, but it is way more than just a bunch of ultrareligious boring people).

Sziget is the largest music festival in central Europe and one of the largest in the whole continent, some 400,000 people visit it every year and they have won Best Festival a number of times for the continent. German, French and Italian people love it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sziget_Festival

The band is called maNga (ironic, that years later I'm into Japanese culture lol). Turkish rock is really good. If you are into metal, definitely check out Pentagram, I started a thread about them in the Offtopic.

maNga: Yalan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20d7JtEBxl8
Cevapsiz sorular: (This was shot in my city) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZYZPANBF6g

Teemeah

Reply #25 on: January 06, 2018, 10:23:30 AM
Coachella’s 2018 Lineup: One Day Later
A closer look at this year's highlights, lowlights, omissions, and potential guests

THE BEST BOOKINGS: X JAPAN
"Buried in the tiny text of Saturday, you’ll find a rare treat: X Japan, the long-running glam metal band that basically defined the genre in their home country. This is their first appearance in America since a triumphant Madison Square Garden show in 2014; come for the speedy licks and theatrical costumes, and stay for the befuddled joy on the faces of people in the crowd who mostly showed up to see Post Malone."

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/01/coachellas-2018-lineup-one-day-later/

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 02:54:42 AM
Hisashiburi ne? Hope everyone's new year went well (can't say mine did lol) Anyways. . . on about the Coachella controversy & my thoughts.

First and foremost, HOLY SHIT THEY'RE DOING A SHOW HERE IN CALIFORNIA! It's been too long, waaaay too fucking long for a show here in the States, so I'm happy about that. However, I'm gonna be honest, I'm keeping some cautious optimism here with this announcement. I do think that if they're gonna do something this year (fer really reals dis tiem gaiz!!), this is the way to fucking do it.

Coachella is one of the biggest/most popular/most mainstream of the music festivals around these parts & if one is looking to break out into the mainstream or doing comebacks, this is the place to do it.

Oh, and by the way: Just because Coachella is normie central now, doesn't mean that X Japan can't get new fans, won't be welcomed or isn't a fit musically in Coachella, is seriously being a bit of a debbie downer. Coachella welcomes all music styles, genres & people, they've had rock acts there before. X Japan ain't breaking in on sacred grounds through sacrilegious means on that front. And about the people? Fuck it. Let nature take it's course. If he/she doesn't like X Japan & wants to bitch about them as people or musically? Fine, shitty opinion noted. Moving on.

Shit, if I had the money to burn on the presale for the first weekend, you bet your ass that I'd be down in Coachella with my flower crown in that X Japan pit.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 07:38:03 AM

True story, but I'm a die-hard European metalhead. To me, Coachella = hot blonde american bitches in crochet crop tops and flower crowns. No exceptions. There's no way I can imagine X playing at Coachella without channeling a very unpleasant mental image of Pata half naked dressed like a Kardashian.  8)

OMG, hahahahaha! Now you've put that image in my mind.  I'm gonna get a headache.  lololol

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 11:34:00 PM
I think they're going to be well received.  I will believe otherwise if and when I see it.

I have a Canadian friend who is apparently only into The Rolling Stones.  I played Scars for him about a month ago and he was very enthusiastic and said he really liked it.   Of course, that was with hide on lead but still.  The concert-goers are gonna love them if they don't already know who they are.   8)

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone