• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Yoshiki channel new year's recording with X Japan

Guest · 8913

Offline Mytrhil Taralom

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: January 07, 2018, 01:53:45 AM
xD what are the chances of Yoshiki pulling the album card indeed. That's amazing. I wonder if we'll finally have the album this year. Wouldn't that be fantastic?
Thank you again for translating for us! I really appreciate it

~Don't Forget To Be Awesome~

Teemeah

Reply #31 on: January 07, 2018, 08:47:31 AM
Thank you for the summary ^^

I totally think the age predictions are accurate haha :D Heath "unknown" LOL.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: January 07, 2018, 07:05:28 PM
I say it again, Lakeisle for president! Making the X fandom great again!  ;D

So we have a bunch of middle-aged men on a TV show discussing whether they should raise pandas or penguins and teasing each other with lobsters. I hereby nominate them for the Darwin awards!

Lovely to hear Pata talk a bit. He sounds like such a cool guy. Cool to hear Sugizo as well, I was convinced he was mute (or some sort of puppet with an unplugged guitar). As for Heath, let's make him our social anxiety awareness ambassador.

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline friday

• Moderators
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: January 08, 2018, 01:16:55 AM
Is the concerns regarding Heath and Yoshiki to do with the management issues/Heath potentially leaving the band in 2009?

Ive been a fan of the band for a decade and a half (pre-reunion) and in that time I have never even thought about Heath and Yoshiki's friendship/relationship. Always seemed like a hired gun sort of relationship in comparison to the other members...

My brief googling of it today only bought up fan fiction... :|

MODERATOR'd!

Teemeah

Reply #34 on: January 08, 2018, 08:06:34 AM
I don't think Yoshiki has any of a real relationship with any of the members, apart from them being the members of his band. He sees them and talks to them when there is work to do. Not even Toshi is close enough, I think. Despite all the on-camera antics. You can do "fanservice" with people that are open to play along, because they have such a personality. I don't see Yoshiki acting endearingly with Pata, either. Just remember, what these guys generally know about each other: not a lot apart from what happens at work. Toshi was singing Yoshiki's songs for decades without knowing about his father's suicide. If you are best buddies, you don't talk to your bestie about THAT even? And as for Toshi, you don't even introduce your wife to your best friend? Yoshiki mentioned somewhere he only saw her once. ??? WTF. I doubt Yoshiki has ever been to any of his members' houses since reunion. They were surprised that Heath was friends with most Luna Sea members. ??? Like, really? To me it seems like these guys don't talk at all, apart from work-related stuff. And these new year's gatherings only reinforce this feeling in me, because they talk about superficial, unimportant, totally random stuff like penguins and eating banana.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: January 08, 2018, 09:06:53 AM
Agree, they don't sound like a tight-knit group, but hey: these dudes got together over 30 years ago to form a band. In 30 years a lot of things change, people develop new interests, make other friends, learn different life lessons. As fans, we have a static image of them and of their lives, but IRL things are lot more complex than that. How many of your friends from 15 years ago do you still regularly hang out with? (me, none)

As for Heath and Yoshiki, I remember the 2009 rumors fairly well. The issue was widely discussed here on the forum. If I remember correctly, the band's management even issued a statement adressed those rumors and denying that Heath had asked to leave the band.

Teemeah

Reply #36 on: January 08, 2018, 10:17:05 AM
Yeah I guess they had some contractual issues. I can also imagine that Heath's management was not satisfied with certain conditions and/or money related agreements. I doubt Heath would have said no to a contract renewal with X Japan, two years after reunion. I doubt he had that many well-paying jobs during the hiatus. If anything, revenue keeps these guys together for a little while more, I think. :) I know this sounds harsh but probably this is reality. And you're right, friendships also change over time. It's very rare that a group of friends would still be best buddies after 30-40 years. Especially that they had a 10 year period where they didn't even talk to each other, except for Pata and Heath who had common projects during the hiatus.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: January 08, 2018, 10:28:42 AM
That's a very likely scenario. By the way, I found the old thread where we speculated about it almost 10 years ago: http://www.x-freaks.com/forum/index.php?topic=3327.0

(Holy shit, the nostalgia just kicked in. The good moments spent on this forum chatting with those guys and then meeting some in Paris for a concert that got cancelled are priceless. Please, people, let's keep this forum alive!  :-*)

Teemeah

Reply #38 on: January 08, 2018, 10:53:43 AM
That's a very likely scenario. By the way, I found the old thread where we speculated about it almost 10 years ago: http://www.x-freaks.com/forum/index.php?topic=3327.0

(Holy shit, the nostalgia just kicked in. The good moments spent on this forum chatting with those guys and then meeting some in Paris for a concert that got cancelled are priceless. Please, people, let's keep this forum alive!  :-*)

"” This time, my selfish actions caused big problems to our fans and all involved parties.

After X Japan’s concert in Hong Kong, on January this year, I became puzzled about what I want to do and how I want to progress, from which I fell into temporary emotional uneasiness and I ended up cutting off all communication.
I stopped communicating even with my management office, so the schedule confirmation and adjustments were neglected, which eventually resulted in a hindrance for X Japan activities.

After this, I talked with Yoshiki, who again made me realize the value of me as the X Japan bassist. And so, if the members and all the fans kindly let me, I really want to start as the X Japan bassist once again."

Wow, this kind of feels like he was going through some major self-doubt and depression, just like Toshi losing his self-confidence before the planned US debut. Heath is also only human, and I think he got a lot of fire from Taiji fans over the past decades, he has been constantly criticised ever since he became a member. I can imagie that this leaves bitter feelings, even if he knows he has a lot of fans who do love and appreciate him. We all have feelings, and so do celebrities, even if they appear to be cold on the outside. Recently there was a Korean Kpop star who killed himself, rather young, battlin serious self-doubts and depression. He knew that millions loved him, and was still doubting himself enough to end his own life. I'm glad that Yoshiki managed to convince Heath to stay.

I hope that we are not seeing another case of him losing his self-confidence again, with this distant behaviour recently. :(
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:55:56 AM by Teemeah »

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: January 08, 2018, 11:29:02 AM
I know nothing about Heath, but I guess the guy was miscast back in 1992. I don't doubt his abilities as a bassist, but one needs thick skin and a certain entertainer talent to thrive within a huge thing like X. He looks insanely stressed on stage, completely shuts down during interviews and social events, has virtually no contact with the fans, no social media presence, (seemingly) no interest in learning basic English to interact with the international fandom, etc. Tell-tale signs of a dude who is way too much of an introvert to be dealing with the whole thing. I know even less about management issues, but maybe he's not making that much money either.

Also, stepping in to replace a legend like Taiji is tough shit. Sugizo did a suprisingly amazing job replacing the big daddy of VK, balancing his presence with a certain low profile that suits him well. It's probably not easy to be the unplugged guitar guy replacing the dead guy when you're actually an accomplished musician who could aim much higher than that. Kudos for Sugizo for being a really cool guy!

Teemeah

Reply #40 on: January 08, 2018, 12:39:48 PM
Heath has his talkative moments, like that druing the Lunatic Fest interview whe he bubbled about Luna Sea members happily, much to the surprise of his bandmates, or during that comic con instance when he told the story of the band going to watch cows on a farm and getting lost in a forest  :D. I don't think he is that much of an introvert, he is a stage musician after all. He used to be a lead singer in his own band before X, he has solos, where he appears not-quite-so-shy in his music videos and his solo concerts are wild as far as I can see from youtube instances. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqh52krKoPA He really doesn't seem reserved when he is doing stuff outside of X Japan. Maybe it is just his odd position in X that makes him feel uncomfortable. With all that shit he has gotten from Taiji admirers, I am not surprised he is trying to below key in X.

Social media is not for everyone, Pata has  a facebook page but hardly any communication apart from some gig related photos and news posted by - no doubt - his management. Not everyone is as tech-savvy as Yoshiki and Sugizo  and Toshi are. Sugizo also doesn't really communicate in English, most of his posts (lik,e 97%) are in Japanese, and Toshi is almost excusively posting in japanese only, using a few random English words here and there.... I don't see anyone but Yoshiki communicating wtih international fans.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: January 08, 2018, 01:45:07 PM
HOLY S-------. Thanks for showing me The Other Side of the Heath. Here I go down the Heath's solo career rabbit hole!  8)

As for the social media thing, don't you think it's strange? I mean, that Yoshiki goes all ermaeeehgerd we want to be ~~~international~~~~ and then he's the only one who bothers writing in English and communicating with the international community? I know English can be hard to learn for the Japs and that the rest of the world outside your homeland might be intimidating, but I still find it weird.

Toshi speaks decent English, for instance. He gave an interview in France at Japan Expo years ago, with Yoshiki, and he clearly understood what he was being asked and could reply. Except that he kept looking at Yoshiki with an 'am I saying it right?' face that was quite hilarious. (Partial footage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez0JjsZjKG0). So, why no posts in English, Toshi?

Teemeah

Reply #42 on: January 08, 2018, 01:53:55 PM
aww that's so cuuuute. His English is so cuuuuute. Aww, I'm melting here. :) awww. He definitely speaks better than Sugizo, Sugizo's pronunciation is hilarious. :D Yeah, Toshi, why no English instagrams? :(

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: January 08, 2018, 02:11:34 PM
Isn't he? ;D Toshi is one very damn adorable human being and I really wish us world fans could interact more with him.

Teemeah

Reply #44 on: January 08, 2018, 02:57:22 PM
Isn't he? ;D Toshi is one very damn adorable human being and I really wish us world fans could interact more with him.

we need to comment under his Insta in English, I always do. He needs to see that Intl fans are interested in what he is posting but cannot understand. But intl fans won't comment, they would only push likes.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: January 08, 2018, 03:34:57 PM
I comment on his insta too! And all my comments end with 'post in English puhh-lease' or 'come to France'. I do the same on Yoshiki's posts, who knows, maybe that's why he came to France 3x in 2017.  ;D

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: January 08, 2018, 04:02:00 PM
Is the concerns regarding Heath and Yoshiki to do with the management issues/Heath potentially leaving the band in 2009?

There are a lot of rumors in Japanese community, but most of them are groundless and have no source. I don't know much about the issue in 2009. But I don't think 2009 was the very moment their relationship worsened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9KnbmaRSFc

This is the only video Heath looks relaxed and jokes a lot(Yoshiki is not there). I wrote down their talking recently. I will translate it in English and upload it someday.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 12:48:18 AM by lakeisle »

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: January 08, 2018, 05:02:18 PM
That's an epic clip, I've watched it a bunch of times and yet I have no idea what they're saying.
Hide's hair around that time was serious goals.

Offline Fullmetal-Hana

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: January 16, 2018, 06:07:50 PM
Poor Toshi; Yoshiki keeps antagonizing him with the shrimp XD
But in all seriousness, does Toshi not like shrimp? Or was he just being silly?