• Welcome to the X FREAKS forum!
    Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

X Japan to perform at Songs of Tokyo

Guest · 8372

Teemeah

on: December 26, 2017, 02:51:57 PM
X Japan will perform at "NHK WORLD presents SONGS OF TOKYO". They are scheduled for broadcast as follows:

January 1, 2018 (Mon) 7:10 (JST) Cornelius, MIYAVI, Perfume, X JAPAN

https://www.nhk.or.jp/songsoftokyo/

NHK World can be watched live at https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/live/

Teemeah

Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 10:52:58 AM
Message from X Japan: youtu.be/2f4rVsPRq6w

and Toshi is not looking like a disco ball :D wow!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 11:46:09 AM by Teemeah »

Teemeah

Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 08:01:16 PM
bands usually do such stuff in Asia. In KPOP for example, it is also a pattern, that certain members have their fixed positions when doing interviews.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 04:47:47 AM
Message from X Japan: youtu.be/2f4rVsPRq6w

and Toshi is not looking like a disco ball :D wow!

Thanks for that message from X.  Toshi looks so tiny against that wall but so good out front singing.  I just love his voice, no matter what he's singing and in what genre or style.  8)

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 08:54:19 AM
bands usually do such stuff in Asia. In KPOP for example, it is also a pattern, that certain members have their fixed positions when doing interviews.

Weeeeeeeeird. What happens if Pata gets the center spot? New world order?

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Teemeah

Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 10:14:13 AM
I think it's just a thing that people can remember band names better, because they always see them in the same order. Not that X needs this but it's a thing over there. Asian societies like order. And no way Pata would ever get center spot. Center spot is for the band leader. If you notice, they also mimic their stage positions here, Yoshiki in center with the drum kit, Toshi next, lead guitar on the left side of the stage, rhythm guitar and bass in the right side of the stage. They have also never permanently changed their stage positions, I have never seen Pata on the other side of the stage, only maybe for a second of position shifts during concert, 99% of the time they stand in fixed directions on the stage, and sometimes they come to the front for 30 seconds :D It's a thing. I don't think anything is wrong with having a fixed order of things. It makes things feel stable.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 01:55:29 PM
Man, this reminds me of liturgical paintings. And the whole bullshit they taught us in Sunday school about how the Virgin always had to hold Jesus  to her left or else it would be unholy or whatever.

Hail Yoshiki full of grace, our Lord is with thee.

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 05:32:12 PM

Weeeeeeeeird. What happens if Pata gets the center spot? New world order?
Yes.  :P
Everyone in X Japan will suddenly feel the urge to just play guitar, drink Jack Daniels, pet some cats and stay in the background. Nothing will ever be the same anymore.

While I'm away, read this line again...

Teemeah

Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 06:40:41 PM
and Heath might actually get to SPEAK *gasp*  :o

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 09:20:07 AM
Woah, no way. That looks like a group before and after photo of What Not To Wear.

Teemeah

Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 11:11:06 AM
That photo could be titled:
BEFORE: metal rebels that changed Japanese society
AFTER: bunch of old dudes who think black leather is all the rage

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 07:08:43 PM
Something I gleaned from the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f4rVsPRq6w that's not mindless talk about standing position or fan-fic level speak is the fact that...

1) Yoshiki spoke in English for almost the entire video. Keep in mind, this is a Japanese station for a Japanese event on New Year's Day.
2) Yoshiki restates that they broke up 10 years ago, had drama/hardships, and now back together to achieve "their dream". This is essentially what they were saying 7-8 years ago. Interesting again how it's being said in ENGLISH on a Japanese station. This is almost purposefully done for Western audiences or fans who are following them. It's like a retake at what they tried to do years ago.
3) Yoshiki practically confirmed future tours "we're going to be around the world for the future".
4) Pata does does not look that great at all. Keep in mind, they've got makeup on and their hair is all done as if it were for a show; he still looks in rough shape. I have to wonder if half of Yoshiki's lamenting about his surgery is again due to Pata's health holding them back from performing. It was only recently Yoshiki tweeted about starting to drum again, "I don't know how long it will last" (somewhat true but mostly to stir the drama pot).

Just what I gathered from the video. Felt like this forum needed some actual discussion again :)

Offline magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 09:20:38 PM
Thanks for the link.

Yes, I think this short interview is definitely for the oversea fans. Why on earth was English used in a Japanese program? But, all the thing Yoshiki said was the same old thing, which has been told 1000+ times. Nothing new.  ::)

As for Pata, he didn't look good on the video. But, I do notice that he didn't age as good as the others since some years ago. Not sure if it's because of his heath or it's just his normal look nowadays?

Teemeah

Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 09:47:49 PM
Something I gleaned from the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f4rVsPRq6w that's not mindless talk about standing position or fan-fic level speak is the fact that...

1) Yoshiki spoke in English for almost the entire video. Keep in mind, this is a Japanese station for a Japanese event on New Year's Day.
2) Yoshiki restates that they broke up 10 years ago, had drama/hardships, and now back together to achieve "their dream". This is essentially what they were saying 7-8 years ago. Interesting again how it's being said in ENGLISH on a Japanese station. This is almost purposefully done for Western audiences or fans who are following them. It's like a retake at what they tried to do years ago.
3) Yoshiki practically confirmed future tours "we're going to be around the world for the future".
4) Pata does does not look that great at all. Keep in mind, they've got makeup on and their hair is all done as if it were for a show; he still looks in rough shape. I have to wonder if half of Yoshiki's lamenting about his surgery is again due to Pata's health holding them back from performing. It was only recently Yoshiki tweeted about starting to drum again, "I don't know how long it will last" (somewhat true but mostly to stir the drama pot).

Just what I gathered from the video. Felt like this forum needed some actual discussion again :)

This program will be broadcast on NHK World TV, which is NHK's ENGLISH language TV with fully English programming :D And the whole Songs of Tokyo is intended for international audiences, because it is to promote the Olympics. :)

Teemeah

Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 10:16:06 PM
What I learnt from this video (when on mute, without Yoshiki's distracting voice):

* Pata is dozing off
* Toshi must be practicing that stance in front of the mirror. The "I-want-to-look-cool" stance.
* Toshi and Sugizo actually understand Yoshiki's English, they nod at the right places. Heath and Pata have no f--ing idea what is being said --- not like they would care anyways
* Heath looks like he really doesn't want to be there, not understanding the English anyways, he is like "how much longer do I need to stand here? Where do I put my hands? Wonder what's for dinner tonight... Did I close the window when I left home...? Yocchan shut the f up already, I need to pee. Iiiii neeed toooo peee." (Heath always looks like he doesn't actually want to be there, at any kind of event they need to attend together. Like, it bothers him or something. And Pata is always like "whatevs.... ")

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 11:09:50 AM
* Heath looks like he really doesn't want to be there, not understanding the English anyways, he is like "how much longer do I need to stand here? Where do I put my hands? Wonder what's for dinner tonight... Did I close the window when I left home...? Yocchan shut the f up already, I need to pee. Iiiii neeed toooo peee." (Heath always looks like he doesn't actually want to be there, at any kind of event they need to attend together. Like, it bothers him or something. And Pata is always like "whatevs.... ")

I've been noticing this for a while. If you watch the last concerts, Heath is always so uncomfortable. Even Pata runs around the stage, and Heath looks like "I'm paid to play bass and I will stay right here playing the bass for three hours". He barely moves from his spot. What happened to him?

Teemeah

Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 11:27:27 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he had had enough already. I mean, these guys barely ever get the chance to do anything but be a breathing background to Yoshiki, who does all the talking and stuff. Even Toshi looks like he is bored out of his mind standing there. I wouldn't be surprised if they were all there just because of contractual obligations. :(

Heath looked happy and fine during the summer concert series, though :) he was also very energetic there, interacting with the audience and stuff. So this may all be just winter blues maybe. ( I feel you Heath, I also hate winter).

Teemeah

Reply #19 on: December 30, 2017, 11:29:40 AM
Yoshiki is drumming again... https://www.instagram.com/p/BdUf8d6g89N/

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: December 30, 2017, 05:26:33 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he had had enough already. I mean, these guys barely ever get the chance to do anything but be a breathing background to Yoshiki, who does all the talking and stuff.

Yeah, I'll be repetitive and say once again that I miss when they were a band and not "THE AWESOME SUPERSTAR YOSHIKI and these other guys on stage with him".

Teemeah

Reply #21 on: December 30, 2017, 05:43:26 PM
To be fair, I don't see them complaining. Or quitting. :) So as long as they are fine with that.... I'm sure they are paid very nicely, so they rather stay than go.  :)

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 02:47:53 PM
Yoshiki posted on Instagram that he could play drums on Kouhaku
https://www.instagram.com/p/BdXo6DAAz4V/?taken-by=yoshikiofficial

Kouhaku, as does Songs and Music Station, uses playback for the instrumental part of the songs. Only the vocal is actually live.
Anyway, for Yoshiki, even in this case is something good. Shows he is recovering well.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 12:25:14 PM
Did you all catch the performance, last night? They did 2 songs, La Venus and Hero.  I recorded it but I am waiting to see if they upload it or the TV station does because I will probably get a strike on my account and a notice to pull it down. LOL!

Teemeah

Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 01:47:12 PM
Yeah I watched it. Toshi is recently doing this thing at the end of the high notes he cannot produce anymore, that he sounds like he swallowed a rusty nail (haha) and tries to cough it back up. I literally have no idea why they wouldn't lower the key a little for him so he could sing comfortably.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: January 01, 2018, 02:22:46 PM
I saw and heard that, yet he was able to sustain a high note in the other song but for a much shorter time.  Boy, that made me cringe.  Not that I was mad with him or anyone else for that matter.  I just hate it that he can no longer hit those high notes and hold it.  Sad, really.  Yet he surprised me on Hero.  Maybe he's to the point where sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  I do hope he's not upset about it but I would imagine he is.  Poor guy.  I just love his voice.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 10:09:54 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he had had enough already. I mean, these guys barely ever get the chance to do anything but be a breathing background to Yoshiki, who does all the talking and stuff.

Yeah, I'll be repetitive and say once again that I miss when they were a band and not "THE AWESOME SUPERSTAR YOSHIKI and these other guys on stage with him".

THIS, I mean, kind of. Though, the last time they were a band, it was in 1997 and it was 'the fairly good looking, as per eastern standards, guy on drums' + 'the funky looking guitar guy' + ' the guy who went nuts and broke up the band' + 'the other two'.

Now we have 'The Superawsome English-Speaking Superstar' + 'the guy who sings' + the others.

Teemeah

Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 10:16:31 PM
Yeah Heath and Pata never really got to talk or do anything but I guess they are also the type who don't really like talking. Unless you give Pata a few bottles of booze, then he won't stop. LITERALLY. I was watching this new year's eve live streaming on Yoshiki's channel and at first Pata was like who the f cares, I'm just coming because I was told to, and then he gulped down two beers and four glasses of wine in the 20 minute ride on the bus from the NHK building to the livestream studio (Sugizo, too, btw, was asking for refill quite a few times, while the rest, INCLUDING Yoshiki, were still on their first glass of wine by the time the bus stopped). Then during the livestream Pata drank several more glasses of wine, one after the other, while Heath was basically just clutching his initial fill and sat there like a doll, Pata was almost nonstop talking, except for when Yoshiki was feeling like it was his time to speak :D really, I haven't seen Pata talk SO MUCH ever. LOL. BOOZE. GIVE'EM BOOZE.  ;D

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: January 02, 2018, 01:03:38 AM
Poor Pata :(  I really like that guy.  He can rock out as well as anyone else.  Probably can blow away my ex husband's playing as well.  Maybe some of the way he acts on stage or anywhere else is caused by depression?  My ex was depressed quite a bit of the time before we moved in together, then married.  He acted a lot like that on stage but sometimes a lot worse.  Just stared down at the strings, never looked at the crowd and never spoke. 

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 09:22:26 AM
We know virtually nothing about Pata but if he's depressed then he's been depressed since 1980. I'm an introvert myself and I know people can make all kinds of strange assumptions about introverts. Maybe he's not sad nor depressed nor bored but actually pretty happy to be there, just not willing to expose himself that much. Some people sit front row, others always choose to sit at the back.