X Freaks Forum

News:

• Welcome to the X FREAKS forum!
    Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

X Japan announced for Kohaku uta Gassen, Yoshiki to play drums?

Guest · 6696

Teemeah

According to Yahoo News, X Japan will be playing at the annual year-end Kohaku uta gassen, the famous Red and White contest on NHK channel. There is speculation that Yoshiki might return to the drums. NHK didn't announce which song would be played, or any other details. All I can say is that I seriously hope Yoshiki is not stupid enough to play drums, and will stick to an acoustic piano performance, because he is just not well. We have seen him collapse during the Europe tour, and his hand is still in bandages. If he seriously goes to play the drum that night, it might have fatal consequences. I really hope his doctors will convince him to not do stupid things. Of course this is a nice hype for the event, leaving fans wondering about what he would do. :) Good PR, that's for sure.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20171116-00000088-dal-ent

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 10:35:55 AM
Thanks for the info. I agree with you, if he's not able to play drums yet, play an acoustic rendition of some songs ... or bring in Shinya for the drum and stick to the piano.

Offline magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 08:46:30 PM
I doubt he will bring in Shinya for the drum, it's X Japan in the show. Shinya is not a member of X.
Maybe he will play the songs where the drum part is not as fast/difficult than the others?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:42:34 PM by magucathy »

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 12:20:32 AM
it might have fatal consequences.

lmao oh man this board is comedy CENTRAL sometimes. Honestly, guys, we're in no position to start calling shots as to whether he can drum or not. Unless you're in his daily circle or his physician, it's not up to us. Yoshiki's not going to die, at most, he may just slow his progress and be in pain for a bit. Who knows and who really cares if it's just buzz. It's either DO IT or don't agree to perform at these things UNTIL you can do it.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 09:07:27 AM
Agree that it will definitely NOT have fatal consequences.  ;D
But he'd definitely go all ouchie ouchie it hurts on social media for months afterwards. Which will grant him a lot of loving attention from us fans and then he'll have an awesome new excuse to delay the new album and focus on a kazillion other dumb projects in the meantime. Like, I don't know, Yoshikiunderwear and Yoshikisextoys and stuff.

(this came out as way more critical than I intended, I still love dear Papa Yoshiki tho)

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Teemeah

Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 09:18:43 AM
I meant fatal with regards to his ability to drum in the future. I.e. it might render him unable to drum later. Sorry for the bad choice of word, I'm not a native speaker of English.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 12:02:09 AM
I agree with you, Teemah,

And from what I am seeing, he is playing drums now! I just hope he doesn't go wild and shake his head too much, causing more neck damage.  Once that area is injured, in my own experience with neck injuries, you will never be the same... never.   :'(

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 05:58:37 AM
I think they should go acoustic like they did last year (or the year before that. I don't remember when was the last time they performed on Kohaku Gassen-Uta). I think it's better to be safe than sorry in Yoshiki's case.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 11:48:36 PM
Acoustic would be great but would they draw the crowds with an all acoustic show, versus a regular or electric show or original show?  I'm afraid they wouldn't draw near the crowd with acoustic and that would be a problem, more than one way.

I saw them singing and playing Bohemian Rhapsody and this is the first time I have seen a crowd that big, not know the lyrics to Bohemian Rhapsody.  That was very strange to me, being a Queen fan.  Oh well.  LOL

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 04:07:45 AM
Acoustic would be great but would they draw the crowds with an all acoustic show, versus a regular or electric show or original show?  I'm afraid they wouldn't draw near the crowd with acoustic and that would be a problem, more than one way.

Mmm, I think that the hardcore fans will go no matter what. To them, X Japan is still X Japan, acoustic or not.

Also, what problems do you speak of? (Not being mean or anything, I genuinely don't understand what the potential issue might be.)

Teemeah

Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 09:31:21 AM
Especially that they gave 6 sold out acoustic gigs this summer in Osaka-jo Hall (2x16,000) and Yokohama Arena (4x18,000) :D :D :D

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 04:01:58 AM

Mmm, I think that the hardcore fans will go no matter what. To them, X Japan is still X Japan, acoustic or not.

Also, what problems do you speak of? (Not being mean or anything, I genuinely don't understand what the potential issue might be.)

Well hypothetically, if fans did not like the acoustic concerts as well as the full on concerts, there wouldn't be as many tickets sold and probably not as much fan merchandise, either.   Acoustic concerts for me are much more subdued and relaxing which is fine if you want to relax.  They are wonderful for me to listen to but more difficult for me to enjoy in person if that makes any sense? LOL

Teemeah

Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 08:03:31 AM
X has a pretty loyal fanbase, plus the acoustic concerts this summer were bombastic. Not at all subdued. :) I was pretty amazed, the one that was broadcast by wowow was by far one of the best X japan concerts I ever watched.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 08:07:57 AM
I agree, now that I have found more acoustic videos.  Seems some videos are being pulled down and these I have listened to and watched for a while.   Gonna have to start downloading again.  LOL

This is great!

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 08:39:05 AM
I like their accoustic stuff too. Toshi's voice is clearly better for accoustics now (bro, c'mon, you're not 20 anymore).  :D

Though knowing Yoshiki, he'll probably go OMG I'm going to play drums despite my doctors' advice and motherfucking dieeeee~~~ on that stage. Then he'll proceed to drum through the first four songs, dramatically collapse, have his management issue a dramatic statement saying he's OMFG maybe gunna die and then proceed to complain on social media for the next six months. Fan base will be worried about him and he'll get a ton of comments from people with a kickass maternal instinct. He seems to like that. Yoshiki is Yoshiki, guys.  ;)

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 08:42:18 AM
Hahahahaha, you are so right about Yoshiki and what just might happen.  ;D

Offline magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 07:50:16 PM
I like their accoustic stuff too. Toshi's voice is clearly better for accoustics now (bro, c'mon, you're not 20 anymore).  :D

Though knowing Yoshiki, he'll probably go OMG I'm going to play drums despite my doctors' advice and motherfucking dieeeee~~~ on that stage. Then he'll proceed to drum through the first four songs, dramatically collapse, have his management issue a dramatic statement saying he's OMFG maybe gunna die and then proceed to complain on social media for the next six months. Fan base will be worried about him and he'll get a ton of comments from people with a kickass maternal instinct. He seems to like that. Yoshiki is Yoshiki, guys.  ;)

Well said! I was thinking about this similar scenario.  ;D ;D ;D

Teemeah

Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 09:40:43 PM
Nice scenario (you should start writing fanfic :P) Except that at Kohaku Uta Gassen, bands perform only one song (or a medley of several) ;D :P

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 09:02:49 AM
Still, he'll go like OMFG I'm gunna play my ass off those drums for four minutes and then die on that stage~~~~.

Teemeah

Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 09:30:29 AM
haha, I don't think so :P According to this article, on Nov 26, X Japan recorded 3 songs for Songs of Tokyo broadcast that will be on January 1st and 2nd on NHK World TV and Yoshiki played the piano only. He also apparently said that his neck is better and he might drum again sometime next year. The channel has not yet decided which song of the 3 will be broadcast.

https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2101263/full/

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 01:47:38 PM
Wow. For once Yoshiki made a reasonable decision. If I didn't know him, I'd say he's finally starting to act like an adult!  ;D

Teemeah

Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 08:31:42 PM
Wow. For once Yoshiki made a reasonable decision. If I didn't know him, I'd say he's finally starting to act like an adult!  ;D

he was probably scared shit by his doctors this time. It's no joke, if he misbehaves, he might even lose sensation in his arm forever, which is basically almost the same as not being able to move it (if you can't feel it, you can't move it properly, sadly, my mom has a similar condition  :-\ ). So he probably really had to think it through and decide if he wants to continue to be totally reckless and get REALLY crippled, or behaves himself and might have a chance to actually get better. :) The guy is sassy but not stupid.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 04:29:58 AM
As long as he can safely keep making this beautiful music, I'm thrilled!

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: December 01, 2017, 11:47:39 AM
Totally agree! My mom has it too, actually (what's with crippled moms on this forum?  8) ) She had a very herniated disk on her spine and did nothing about it in her Yoshiki-esque way. She lost feeling on her left leg permanently.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 12:26:40 PM
Multiple car wrecks did it for me.  After that, being so screwed up from the wrecks, I had a couple of bad falls as well.  Talk about a mess and felt like both knee caps broke when I hit the dash, then the blacktop parking lot holding 50 pounds of books.  But believe me, I saved those damn books. LOL!!! My knees, on the other hand, took the damage that the books should have gotten and there ya go.  SMH. LOL

Teemeah

Reply #25 on: December 31, 2017, 02:49:04 PM
and so he did play the drums, albeit for like 1 and a half minutes of Kurenai. Toshi's voice was awful, I think he might have the flu. But it was good to see them :)

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 03:29:04 PM by Teemeah »

Teemeah

Reply #26 on: December 31, 2017, 05:43:38 PM
Here it is, watch while you can

Teemeah

Reply #27 on: January 05, 2018, 09:28:07 AM
However some people always criticize Yoshiki, he is still a big deal in Japan. The viewer rating jumped to 40.4% during his drum session. It was one of the highest watched moments during the show.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180105-00092918-nksports-ent

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: January 05, 2018, 10:26:03 AM
Teemeah, that video you posted above your last post is pulled down, already.  Just thought I would let you know.  It does appear to be here for the time being. 

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: January 05, 2018, 10:32:12 AM
Why are they in a Star Wars Cloud City set? I opened the video and I was totally expecting Toshi yell "Yoshiki, I am your father".