• Welcome to the X FREAKS forum!
    Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Heath and "violin bass"

Guest · 2364

Teemeah

on: June 03, 2017, 10:41:00 AM
In the We Are X interview Heath is asked what his first instrument was and he answers (in English) that "violin bass". Now according to Wikipedia, it's this instrument: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%B6fner_500/1 That'd be kind of interesting, if he didn't accidentally mix up the words and meant "bass violin" which is another, albeit incorrectly used name for a double bass. What do you think?

Offline Hyunkel

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 11:32:50 AM
Both are possible imo.

But I think that Heath being a professional musician he didn't mix the two instruments (but still possible considering how close the two terms are, and in one country one term can mean the other and vice versa).

Must be fun to see him play violin bass ^^

..Close your eyes and I'll kill you in the rain...

...Art of Life An Eternal Bleeding Heart...

Teemeah

Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 12:33:21 PM
I'm thinking about the mixup because he hesitates for a moment, and then repeats "yes, violin bass". And he says it in English, not in Japanese, could be that he remembered the wrong English expression. There is a photo of him with a double bass, although it is a photoshoot only, not concert environment.

Offline Hyunkel

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 11:35:52 AM
To be fair the violin bass does look like a violin + bass instrument.
Moreover, bass violin (I didn't know it was misused for double bass) is an instrument used in classic formation (close to cello and all).

I think he means either the classical instrument or the mix between violin and the bass more than a double bass.

..Close your eyes and I'll kill you in the rain...

...Art of Life An Eternal Bleeding Heart...

Teemeah

Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 03:21:49 PM
bass violin was used in the 16th - 17th century as a predecessor of cello. The modern instrument is called double bass. "The double bass is sometimes confusingly called the violone, bass violin or bass viol. "