• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Impending postponement/delay

Feudal · 22816

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: May 11, 2017, 09:51:25 PM
I just looked on setlis.fm out of curiosity for a refresher on their activity. There wasn't a single show for  2011-2014. They went a most 3 years with doing noting. Wow

You may want to look for other sources.... In 2011 they had a show in London, Paris, Utrecht, Berlin, two shows at  Summer Sonic festival in Japan, a South Americna tour with 5 shows, an Asia tour with 5 stops, in 2014 they had two shows at Yokohama Arena, they had Madison Square Garden in 2014 and they had a televised performance on Music Station Super Live. I wouldn't exactly say they were "doing nothing".

He means since the end of the 2011 tour until October 2014, they did nothing. Not a single release, not a single concert.
2011 was their most active year since the return, and they did about 15 concerts. Nothing on 2012, nothing on 2013, and even on other years, like 2008, 2009, 2016, there were like 3 or 4 concerts IN A WHOLE YEAR.

Yoshiki just kept his health aside to appear on those shitty events who don't nothing but inflate his ego.

Offline Kurenai

• View Profile
Reply #31 on: May 12, 2017, 06:40:01 AM
This may sound a bit harsh but my only wish now is for Yoshiki to just announce that the album is never going to drop and just end the band. Do one last tour or show at the Tokyo Dome or something, go out with one last bang and just put the band to rest instead of dragging this half-dead corpse around. X Japan is nothing more than a tribute/nostalgia act at this point clinging on the successes they made more than 20 years ago, instead of trying to build a brand new platform for themselves and aim for the future. I understand the band probably had huge plans around the time of their reformation but it's been clear for the past few years that Yoshiki's hubris has already steered the band into a trainwreck that has barely any hope of making it out. There's only so many times that you can say "the album is 99% done".

In regards to his upcoming surgery, I wish him the best and a speedy recovery.

Offline StarWarsArtist

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: May 12, 2017, 08:09:05 AM
This may sound a bit harsh but my only wish now is for Yoshiki to just announce that the album is never going to drop and just end the band. Do one last tour or show at the Tokyo Dome or something, go out with one last bang and just put the band to rest instead of dragging this half-dead corpse around. X Japan is nothing more than a tribute/nostalgia act at this point clinging on the successes they made more than 20 years ago, instead of trying to build a brand new platform for themselves and aim for the future. I understand the band probably had huge plans around the time of their reformation but it's been clear for the past few years that Yoshiki's hubris has already steered the band into a trainwreck that has barely any hope of making it out. There's only so many times that you can say "the album is 99% done".

I don't think it's harsh. I think it's realistic. We boo because we want to cheer, and Yoshiki has proven time, time, and time again that the album is not a priority. Every time I read a quote about it now, all I do is roll my eyes. Yoshiki is a brilliant musician, and in his younger days he was a powerful force to be reckoned with when it came to achieving goals. I think he lost that fire, and that's totally fine. He's enjoyed an insane career and he's getting older. I totally respect the notion that this dude's health is deteriorating and it's time for him to rest.

BUT STOP LYING TO US. It's been YEARS. And every time he says "we're 99% done," it makes me automatically assume "whelp, maybe next year." Because every time we hear something that isn't a concrete date for something, it means it isn't happening. Dude, just be straight with us. We love you and your work. Just stop lying to drive up hype for no reason. It makes you look bad and us feel like idiots for getting excited over nothing.

IWillBeAStarWarsArtist.blogspot.com
xjapanrox.deviantart.com/gallery

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #33 on: May 12, 2017, 12:51:26 PM

That's how I've been feeling for a couple of years now... -__-
But it seems more and more like the best thing to do. How sad.

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: May 12, 2017, 09:17:01 PM

I don't think it's harsh. I think it's realistic. We boo because we want to cheer, and Yoshiki has proven time, time, and time again that the album is not a priority. Every time I read a quote about it now, all I do is roll my eyes. Yoshiki is a brilliant musician, and in his younger days he was a powerful force to be reckoned with when it came to achieving goals. I think he lost that fire, and that's totally fine. He's enjoyed an insane career and he's getting older. I totally respect the notion that this dude's health is deteriorating and it's time for him to rest.

BUT STOP LYING TO US. It's been YEARS. And every time he says "we're 99% done," it makes me automatically assume "whelp, maybe next year." Because every time we hear something that isn't a concrete date for something, it means it isn't happening. Dude, just be straight with us. We love you and your work. Just stop lying to drive up hype for no reason. It makes you look bad and us feel like idiots for getting excited over nothing.
Go read comments at Yoshiki's Facebook page, most fans think he's doing a great job.

That's the real problem.

hi there

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #35 on: May 12, 2017, 11:23:30 PM
If the decision came down to the band going their separate ways again, a part of me (obviously) doesn't want them to because of so much time wasted on doing nothing. I'd want them to do something incredible to make the huge time gap worthwhile, y'know? On the other hand, maybe it is time that they threw in the towel. At the point, I don't think it would hurt me if they decided to drop out. Being lied to for so long has had an oddly numbing affect on me now.
Either that or these mood stabilizers are still working damn well.

Heck, maybe if the remaining members still want play, do what every other of my favorite bands are doing/have done: Go on without that one person in the group & call it something else (i.e. Versailles lost Kamijo for a bit, so they got someone else on vocals & called the band Jupiter. Another example would be the remaining members of No Doubt had the singer from AFI join their band & they're calling it Dreamcar)
I gotta say that I'm way more hyped for Dreamcar than X Japan right now. I see far more promise with these guys than X & they've been established for less longer, hah. Apparently New Wave music is/has made a comeback.

EDIT: Oh yes, the fangirls. The ass kissing fangirls. . . They can piss off.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 11:26:25 PM by Kurenai_Akari »

Offline CreepyKlutz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: May 13, 2017, 04:28:02 AM
Use the album as a parting gift and break up the band. FFS.

Why do I still care? Why?
*headdesk*

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: May 13, 2017, 06:56:48 AM
See, I don't even think being a cash grabbing, nostalgia act is necessarily a bad thing but it depends how things are handled. The fact that a new material has been promised, new songs have been performed and take up a large portion of each setlist (with no studio versions of many of these songs), and many shows have been canceled and postponed over the years just shows why this has been so poorly handled.

It also bothers me how every other member, even Toshi, seem to have gag orders. None ever really speak about the band or give interviews about the band. The few occasions when they do interview together, they all seem pretty uncomfortable. It shows Yoshiki has complete control. Being a leader isn't a necessarily a bad thing, but when your ego is so massive, it is damaging. I remember years ago I made a thread bitching about Yoshiki's behavior regarding the band and [lack of] album. Here we are years later and nothing has changed. At least hold a press conference or post a letter on social media to fans explaining the delays or cancellation of the record. I remember years ago Yoshiki announced a huge press conference and everyone was sure it was the new album. Instead, he delayed it because he missed a flight and it ended up being for his wax sculpture. Absolutely unbelievable and just really shows you where his head is at.

I still see small flashes of greatness in X Japan. They've had some really good shows since 2007 for sure. I think Jade is a great song and stacks up well with their old material, but other than that, I think the new material is disappointingly hit and miss. Born to Be Free and IV are catchy, and La Venus has some good melodies and singing from Toshi. However, the the majority of the songs are typically structured with generic lyrics and repetitive and simple music (for X's standards). How many ballads do we need with minimal instrumentation? Of the new stuff most are boring ballads without any guitar playing aside from maybe a few power chords. They don't even seem to really feature Pata, Heath, and Sugizo, what the hell? How is it that half of your new songs don't have more than half the band on them? Angel, Scarlet Love Song, La Venus, Without You, Kiss the Sky... count 'em, 5 ballads, none of which have any interesting instrumental sections. Hero is a forgettable pop-rock track (again, without a solo or real instrumental portion) and Beneath the Skin sounds ok, but are ANY of these songs worth a decade long wait? Is this the best he could write in that amount of time? Sure, they have some nice melodies and I'd respect an album being all "new" songs (if there is even one pre-reunion song on it at this point, I'll consider it a failure upon release), but so far its not looking good. None of these songs are offensive or outright bad, but if you are going to take a decade to put something out the work should be "great", not simply "meh".

All in all, the album isn't so much about the material now I guess. I don't think any of us really expect the music to be that great. Its about getting the damn thing out because it has been so long and its been repeatedly alluded to and announced (and even given a concrete release date that passed over a year ago).

These upcoming operations don't bode well for the band's future. I wouldn't even be that upset if they called it a day again. I'd be upset at all the wasted time and opportunity, but that has already happened. If they want to continue and do the occasional show or mini-tour like business as usual, then whatever, nothing really wrong with that. However, to continue pretending like the band is this massive creative outlet and globally touring phenomena? Yeah right...

In fact, X Japan will NEVER be a mainstream rock band in other countries due to tons of factors. Hard rock is already far removed from the public eye, and those bands on the radio are younger and totally boring and safe. Most new hard rock on the radio is generic, pop douche-rock. Bands like Theory of a Dead Man, 5 Finger Death Punch, Seether, Hinder, etc. These bands are younger, boring, and safe which is why rock radio plays them. It sucks, but that's where the hard rock world is right now aside from the typical classic bands. Music doesn't have the pop-culture grasp it once did, so many popular bands are generic and void of emotion, risk taking, and excitement. Occasionally you have something new and exciting like Royal Blood, and you have some alternative rock like The Arctic Monkeys, Black Keys, etc which get radio play and popularity with younger crowds. So, where does X Japan fit into the equation in a sea of the boring modern rock and the more interesting indie/alternative scenes? They don't.

All things considered, they are an old, nostalgia-based, washed up rock band... and that's in their home country where they are the most well known. Their peak was YEARS ago and they are a legacy band in Japan/Asia now. Much like any other big western classic rock band. That isn't a bad thing, its cool they have a legacy to earn them that status. That status allows acts to play to crowds (sometimes even in arenas and stadiums) and it means new material will get played on the radio for a few months (before being forgotten about by mainstream audiences). Its the same formula for any band in that level. A huge band like... I don't know, let's take AC/DC for example. They put out a new album and single, right? The album may sell well in the first few weeks because its AC/DC and the single will get airplay for a few months because its AC/DC, but the new material often doesn't go past that because crowds for legacy acts care more about the classics that they associate the past with. They had a big single, "Rock N' Roll Train" about a decade ago that was played on the radio a ton when it came out. The album it was on, "Black Ice" sold a ton. Yet, ask any casual AC/DC fan about that song and album, and its already been lost to time. Its the magic and curse of nostalgia. Sure, you get the few die hards that will obsess over every album and song and always keep everything in mind, but that is far and few between. Its just how it goes, and that is where X Japan is, a legacy band in Asia and an unknown/cult band in the West. So, Yoshiki repeatedly talking about wanting to "break out" in the USA is just unrealistic. No amount of writing more poppy/boring music for X Japan will change that. Besides, he'd also have to put in work to reach such an already impossible task.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 07:36:24 AM by axlroseX »

Teemeah

Reply #38 on: May 13, 2017, 12:53:52 PM

Heck, maybe if the remaining members still want play, do what every other of my favorite bands are doing/have done: Go on without that one person in the group & call it something else (i.e. Versailles lost Kamijo for a bit, so they got someone else on vocals & called the band Jupiter. Another example would be the remaining members of No Doubt had the singer from AFI join their band & they're calling it Dreamcar)

The remaining members have their own projects, why should they do anything together without Yoshiki? Sugizo has a billion ongoing projects himself. I doubt he needs one more. Pata and Heath has/had Dopeheadz. Toshi can fare on his own. It's just delusional to think these guys would play together if it weren't for X Japan. The one thing holding this trainwreck together is Yoshiki. If he drops out, they will go their separate ways again. Wanna bet?  :) He is the driving force behind this car. If people don't like the way he drives, well, that's their own private problem. He might crash, yes. So what? Are any of you behind him to catch him when he falls? This forum rather looks like a lot of you guys would be happy to see him dead even, being hurt for not getting an album as promised. And some of you were telling me in the beginning that these were fair criticisms but all I see is spitting and blaming and repeating the same old arguments again and again.

Being a sour detractor will not help this situation and won't make the album happen faster when fans put more pressure on the one guy actually doing the work. Who's going to make the album? Pata? Heath? The one other guy capable of carrying such a production is Sugizo, but his style is entirely different and I am 100% sure that most fans would say X Japan's style changed too much if he were to produce the entire thing. Toshi should rather work on his vocals, because his voice is failing big time recently. So who is left to produce anything? The one guy you keep bashing.

I'm pretty sure he is not happy about these delays either. And you know what? The main reason behind these delays is probably anxiety. Because producing an entirely album for a project that was pronounced dead and then revived from ashes is a big a thing with big expectations from fans. Just look at what fans write about IV, Jade or Hero. Never satisfied. It's either too old sounding or too different or not different enough, not quality enough, too much recycled, but never good enough. Imagine you wrote these songs and you are reading these type of comments. With his ego, he strives to do the best, and then you need to produce 10 to 12 signature songs, for these high expectations, with people already bashing the new releases. Whatever people think about Yoshiki in general, I think the one thing I see pretty much confirmed about this guy that he is incredibly insecure. And as long as people keep on raising the bar on him and bash whatever he does, he will NEVER be satisfied with whatever he writes. It's a vicious circle.

So yeah, the album might never happen. I don't care for that, as long as X Japan remains active in the concert scene and all of those guys remain healthy and content with what they do. No need to force anything on them. Yes, Yoshiki makes a lot of mistakes with his announcements that are not properly thought through. But I also think he does not do it intentionally and when he says the album is coming soon, he means it - at that time. And then changes his mind, for whatever reason. Sure, it's frustrating, and he should be better at managing himself, but he's 51 already, and been doing this since he was 20. Do you really think a guy with his kind of complex mental issues will ever change? (Let's face it, he is not normal in the head, that's why this band exsists in the first place. Had he been a normal person, there would have been no X at all....). Now, we can keep whining forever and bashing or just accept that this is the way he is. Will bashing him change anything?

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #39 on: May 13, 2017, 01:15:43 PM
This forum rather looks like a lot of you guys would be happy to see him dead even, being hurt for not getting an album as promised.

What the hell!?!?!??!?!? I'm pretty sure everyone said that they wish him the best with the surgery! Your skills in misinterpreting what everyone wrote are amazing. I won't even answer anything of all your claims about what we allegedly think about Yoshiki and X. Obviously it's useless to try and explain our point.

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: May 13, 2017, 03:00:56 PM

The remaining members have their own projects, why should they do anything together without Yoshiki? Sugizo has a billion ongoing projects himself. I doubt he needs one more. Pata and Heath has/had Dopeheadz. Toshi can fare on his own. It's just delusional to think these guys would play together if it weren't for X Japan. The one thing holding this trainwreck together is Yoshiki. If he drops out, they will go their separate ways again. Wanna bet?  :) He is the driving force behind this car. If people don't like the way he drives, well, that's their own private problem. He might crash, yes. So what? Are any of you behind him to catch him when he falls? This forum rather looks like a lot of you guys would be happy to see him dead even, being hurt for not getting an album as promised. And some of you were telling me in the beginning that these were fair criticisms but all I see is spitting and blaming and repeating the same old arguments again and again.

Being a sour detractor will not help this situation and won't make the album happen faster when fans put more pressure on the one guy actually doing the work. Who's going to make the album? Pata? Heath? The one other guy capable of carrying such a production is Sugizo, but his style is entirely different and I am 100% sure that most fans would say X Japan's style changed too much if he were to produce the entire thing. Toshi should rather work on his vocals, because his voice is failing big time recently. So who is left to produce anything? The one guy you keep bashing.

I'm pretty sure he is not happy about these delays either. And you know what? The main reason behind these delays is probably anxiety. Because producing an entirely album for a project that was pronounced dead and then revived from ashes is a big a thing with big expectations from fans. Just look at what fans write about IV, Jade or Hero. Never satisfied. It's either too old sounding or too different or not different enough, not quality enough, too much recycled, but never good enough. Imagine you wrote these songs and you are reading these type of comments. With his ego, he strives to do the best, and then you need to produce 10 to 12 signature songs, for these high expectations, with people already bashing the new releases. Whatever people think about Yoshiki in general, I think the one thing I see pretty much confirmed about this guy that he is incredibly insecure. And as long as people keep on raising the bar on him and bash whatever he does, he will NEVER be satisfied with whatever he writes. It's a vicious circle.

So yeah, the album might never happen. I don't care for that, as long as X Japan remains active in the concert scene and all of those guys remain healthy and content with what they do. No need to force anything on them. Yes, Yoshiki makes a lot of mistakes with his announcements that are not properly thought through. But I also think he does not do it intentionally and when he says the album is coming soon, he means it - at that time. And then changes his mind, for whatever reason. Sure, it's frustrating, and he should be better at managing himself, but he's 51 already, and been doing this since he was 20. Do you really think a guy with his kind of complex mental issues will ever change? (Let's face it, he is not normal in the head, that's why this band exsists in the first place. Had he been a normal person, there would have been no X at all....). Now, we can keep whining forever and bashing or just accept that this is the way he is. Will bashing him change anything?

You are so dense.

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: May 13, 2017, 03:31:31 PM
Also, I am a huge fan of Yoshiki (ALL of us are), for better or worse, he essentially IS X Japan. The dude is an immense musician and I even said several times he seems like a cool guy.

That doesnt mean we cant criticize his behavior, its a public FORUM for personal OPINIONS. His behavior is what leads us to criticize him. People need criticism, its what keeps all of our ego's in check. Humility doesnt exactly seem to be his strong suit.

Sure, I shouldn't have called him a tool, but its just a message board and it all comes out of frustration.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 03:33:34 PM by axlroseX »

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #42 on: May 13, 2017, 11:24:05 PM
It's pointless to step in the conversation at this point, I just wanted to say that the reactions triggered by Yoshiki's utterances should show everyone, even Teemeah, that we are fans.

positively unsure。

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #43 on: May 13, 2017, 11:40:01 PM
I wrote a big ol' response, but I scrapped it because no one's gonna care, but I am gonna say this much out of it: That was absolutely crass on all sorts of levels.

EDIT: Yeeeeeeeeeah. nb is right. I'm done with this crap.

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: May 13, 2017, 11:46:50 PM
I wrote a big ol' response, but I scrapped it because no one's gonna care, but I am gonna say this much out of it: That was absolutely crass on all sorts of levels.

Sorry to be blunt, just my views

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: May 14, 2017, 01:42:26 AM

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #46 on: May 14, 2017, 01:57:11 AM

What? Oh crap. No, no, no, you're fine! I didn't mean you dude. I'm sorry about that. That bit was directed to Teemeah.

EDIT: Just so we're clear, I didn't any of this with malice.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 08:49:29 AM by Kurenai_Akari »

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: May 14, 2017, 02:59:41 AM

What? Oh crap. No, no, no, you're fine! I didn't mean you dude. I'm sorry about that. That bit was directed to Teemeah.

Ohhhhhhh, My B, bro. Its all good!

Teemeah

Reply #48 on: May 14, 2017, 05:06:35 PM
Please keep on complaining over things you have no power to change, instead of just having normal conversation on you know, things about a band we supposedly all like. Like, its music, or something. But nah, it's just 30 pages of "yoshiki screwed this up" repeated a zillion times. Need a group hug, a few kleenex, or something to help you deal with dissapointment?

I think I will be better off just listening to their music and not trying to connect to "fans". Because every fuckin conversation here ends with complaints about what has or has not been done over the past 10 years. Very fruitful, uplifting and positivel stuff. Maybe you should rename this forum the "X-depressed". Would suit the mood better. :)

oh and I just saw this and reminded me of this place.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 06:51:21 PM by Teemeah »

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: May 14, 2017, 06:09:20 PM
Please keep on complaining over things you have no power to change, instead of just having normal conversation on you know, things about a band we supposedly all like. Like, its music, or something. But nah, it's just 30 pages of "yoshiki screwed this up" repeated a zillion times. Need a group hug, a few kleenex, or something to help you deal with dissapointment?

I think I will be better off just listening to their music and not trying to connect to "fans". Because every fuckin conversation here ends with complaints about what has or has not been done over the past 10 years. Very fruitful, uplifting and positivel stuff. Maybe you should rename this forum the "X-depressed". Would suit the mood better. :)

What are you trying to accomplish?  You discovered the band 2 months ago, how about showing some respect to fans that have been here for years? Your second post in this thread was with guns blazing, attacking die hards who have been fans of the band for years. I kind of get it, you just found them and got excited and a little obsessive, and are dissapointed to find that fans on one of the only active sites dedicated to them are disillusioned. Bummer... but did you ever think maybe there was a reason for that? Did you read the subject of the thread? This thread is dedicated to a potential delay regarding an album release. What do you expect to find?

I see lots of people having a rational, yet passionate discussion in this thread. You have had many opportunities to pitch in. Instead, you continue to ignore the many topics provided above since they don't fit your narrative and simply attack the users for having a different opinion than yours. I think its awesome you like the band, but we have all had the discussions about the songs, shows, music, history, etc countless times before. There is a reason this forum has kind of died and when there is activity like now, it is based on current events. The current news with the band is that they will probably cancel future activity. See why we are talking avout that?

I doubt anyone on here lets the band affect their "real life", but when we post here, of course our brain focuses on X Japan. Not every conversation has to be positive or even productive, we are just sharing our thoughts on the group. If you dont like it, and if you cant join the discussion in an intelligent way, then this website isnt for you. We welcome new members, but dont need ones who throw a fit when people's attitudes don't line up with what they want. I hope you get to see the band one day, but learn to respect the communities you join. If you can do that, please stay. If you cannot, you will not be missed.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 06:15:33 PM by axlroseX »

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #50 on: May 14, 2017, 06:47:03 PM
I'm not going to join in on all the drama. I just wanted to say that I wish Yoshiki all the best for his surgery and recovery. I can understand why he didn't wanted to do this surgery until he couldn't avoid it any longer. Surgeries on your neck, especially on your vertebral bodies are really scary and also kinda risky. Nobody wants to do them if not absolutely neccesary.

It's sad for us as fans that this might again cause a delay, but it can't be helped. His body is to broken/damaged.

Fun story aside: Two years ago I went sledding with a friend and broke two vertebral bodies. That hurt. It hurts even more than stepping on a lego. So in other words: a LOT. Still today I have occassionally problems with back pain. Considering how many other health problems Yoshiki has... I don't want to be him. ^^°

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: May 14, 2017, 07:07:29 PM

oh and I just saw this and reminded me of this place.

Gotta say that made me laugh lol. I really do get where you are coming from, its just we all really are fed up with the band. I view the delays as a seperate thing from Yoshiki's health since its been so long. If we were just talking about health, of course it comes first and I am sad he is going through what he is

Offline Hyunkel

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: May 14, 2017, 07:16:45 PM
Everything has been said for the drama I guess so I'm not going to comment more on it right now.

As for the surgery, I hear you Kasumi but iirc the last time the surgery was on the topic (2 years ago or even last year?) it was already kind of point of non return.

So, while we can all agree on a neck surgery non being appealing, I think it was already necessary at that time. Scary as it is, the situation last time was already appalling (numbness and sort of paralysis) and should have been, imo, a sufficient red flag to undergo surgery then. Of course, it's up to Yoshiki but I think he should listen to his doctors/surgeons more often and not wait 'til it might be too late someday... And stop with the "I don't feel my hand but I'm still gonna rock!" Nope, just heal yourself man, we'll wait, we are pretty good at that now haha

..Close your eyes and I'll kill you in the rain...

...Art of Life An Eternal Bleeding Heart...

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #53 on: May 14, 2017, 07:46:19 PM
Everything has been said for the drama I guess so I'm not going to comment more on it right now.

As for the surgery, I hear you Kasumi but iirc the last time the surgery was on the topic (2 years ago or even last year?) it was already kind of point of non return.
The thing is people do mistakes and so does he. We can't do anything about. ^^° So as for now the only thing I can do is... hope that he has a very good surgeon. :D

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline Hyunkel

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: May 14, 2017, 09:05:57 PM
Yes we can't do anything, I'm just glad he will finally do something about it!

..Close your eyes and I'll kill you in the rain...

...Art of Life An Eternal Bleeding Heart...

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: May 15, 2017, 12:56:07 AM
On the surgery- Good
On the album- It will never come out and even if it does, it doesn't matter because we've already heard all the songs that will be on it.
On the future- My opinion was that Yoshiki was trying to bank on music trends again (metal to hard rock and ballads, to synth-pop rock in the 90s) and it bit him because what's trending now in rock music is what's keeping rock music unpopular. I don't want to say X have become a boring or talentless band but they are definitely generic now. I really love Jade and I like IV a lot (reminds me of something hide would make) but they just became less and less creative and imaginative with their releases throughout the years. There's an emptiness I don't really understand.

Oh well, I'm glad the surgery is finally happening. I do understand him putting it off for so long, due to the fail rate and the consequences of it's failures (permanent paralysis). But oddly I do also consider it an excuse for the album not being released again, since I know it won't be.

If he weren't running around doing everything under the sun that had nothing to do with music it wouldn't have mattered that he has to undergo emergency surgery because he would have put in enough work for it to have been completed regardless.

I agree with Axl that it's true, when there's a will there's a way... but there was no will.

On an aside I think it's incredibly strange that they spent 10 years puffing up how famous they are but practically none of that showing what they're capable of. Odd that a documentary was made without the album to push them into the future...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 01:01:40 AM by returner »

We are not trying to keep the legacy—we are trying to move forward, so our sound is going to change. I’m ready to be criticized, for example by fans saying "you should rather be this style." I’m ready for it, I’m okay with any concept of criticism-Yoshiki

Offline friday

• Moderators
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: May 15, 2017, 07:51:46 AM
Teemeah, oh how I wish you discovered this band in the forums 'glory days', you would have loved it here! I have to admit I have been getting quite nostalgic reading over some of the old re-opened subforums and topics, and cringing over some of my teenage thoughts and band obsessions. :/

I think it was October 2014 when I first heard a decent HD rip of Beneath the Skin, and for some reason it changed my previous  mentality from "Release the fucking album already god damn it, I can't deal with another Chinese Democracy scenario in my delicate state" to 'Ah well, whatever singles or leaks that have and will come out are actually better than a reunion of your favourite angsty teenage band never occurring". I still remember the excitement 10 years ago of the murmurs of Toshi and Yoshiki talking again. Of searching for hundreds of different downloads of I.V., of finding dodgy low-def streams to the 3 night reunion concerts which would cut-out every few minutes... But now, 10 years later, like many long-termers on this forum, I've gone through every possible emotion waiting on the release of this album so many people thought would never be released, from a band that literally came into and changed my life for the better at a time when (as a massively fucked up kid) I needed something to be absorbed by.

Whilst I've travelled the world, fallen in love, built a house and all the things that come along with that, part of me regrets not ever seeing X (or even just Yoshiki or Toshi) in concert. To be transformed away for just a few hours with a band which literally saved me and changed my life (yes, soppy, but who gives a fuck, music has that effect on people) is something I've always wanted with this band. But, as other people have mentioned, I don't have the time, money or lack of responsibilities to travel half way across the globe, at great expense, for a 50/50 chance of seeing a gig which, if it doesn't occur, I won't be able to afford to see again. So I completely understand people's anger about last minute cancellations.

So for the next decade, I guess I'll just keep checking this forum, and not be disappointed when more gigs and cancelled and the album keeps getting pushed back... But I sure as hell am gonna be analysing the fuck out of whatever 2 or 3 songs that get leaked or 'unplugged released' over that time! :D

MODERATOR'd!

Offline Kurenai

• View Profile
Reply #57 on: May 15, 2017, 02:07:29 PM

On the future- My opinion was that Yoshiki was trying to bank on music trends again (metal to hard rock and ballads, to synth-pop rock in the 90s) and it bit him because what's trending now in rock music is what's keeping rock music unpopular. I don't want to say X have become a boring or talentless band but they are definitely generic now. I really love Jade and I like IV a lot (reminds me of something hide would make) but they just became less and less creative and imaginative with their releases throughout the years. There's an emptiness I don't really understand.

I have to agree with you here. I'm feeling an emptiness with their new material as well but I can't quite place a finger on what it actually is. Maybe it's because they just weren't the same after the Art of Life period when they all cut their hair and went for a more softer, radio-friendly sound and wrote more ballads. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with changing your style up a bit, but I believe X Japan were at their peak and more original when they were still X, dressed like peacocks, just 5 young guys hungry and determined for success. And all those emotions were vented out in the music you heard in their early days, a raw, energetic hard rock/metal sound. It all culminated into what I believe is X's magnum opus: Art of Life (it was in fact released under the name X Japan with Heath on bass but I still consider it an 'X' record with Taiji's spirit on it). And once they had that success, I feel like they just lost some of that enthusiasm and just decided to take it a bit easier and write more generic sounding material and ballads. So nowadays I don't really expect anything mind-blowingly creative from them because I've accepted that X and X Japan are two different bands. X was before huge success, and X Japan was afterwards. In other words, I don't expect a group of successful 50 year old guys who've already made it somewhere to have the same hunger and desire when writing music as to when they were 20.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:14:10 PM by Kurenai »

Teemeah

Reply #58 on: May 15, 2017, 04:08:42 PM

I don't have the time, money or lack of responsibilities to travel half way across the globe, at great expense, for a 50/50 chance of seeing a gig which, if it doesn't occur, I won't be able to afford to see again. So I completely understand people's anger about last minute cancellations.

I understand the frustration, completely. I have the same experience with one of my favourite Turkish rock bands.

But just think guys for a moment from new fans' perspectives, too. You discover a fandom, ready to jump in and talk about your newly found love and what do you get? Incredibly bitter comments all the time. Not one or two, or sometimes, - but all the time. There is nothing else going on on this forum, just complaints on top of complaints.

I really tried my best to engage in conversation, resurrect old topics, and stuff, but even the comments I get there always end up bashing Yoshiki for delays and complaining about the new musical style. I get it, but can we talk about other stuff, too? I have tons of questions, curious about a lot of things, but apart from the complaining topics, there is nothing here going on.

I am not expecting anyone to fangirl or anything, or to not be angry for the delays. I was just expecting some fun conversation about this band, but fun conversation is something I have not seen on this forum ever since I joined. Why should I check it again? What should I talk about, when all I see is negativity everywhere? It seems like some members enjoy being masochistic over this whole delay thing and write the same complaints all over again everywhere.

This is, for me, just too much. It's killing the joy and excitement over a band I just discovered and grew on me like nothing before. I literally consumed 90% of their concert videos in a month time (yes, I don't sleep much nowadays), from bootleg versions to the latest fancams, whatever I could mine out of Youtube. But there is nobody here to talk to about anything other than "oh another delay, so angry".  :-\ and I get angry because for fcks sake it's not going to change anything. It's not like you guys can go over to Yoshiki's place, kick his arse and chain him to the studio until he finishes. So why can't just let go of this and enjoy what you have? I don't mind rewatching ages old VHS tape rips. I always find something new in them, so many angles to watch. I found a weird satisfaction in watching Japanese interviews I don't understand a word of.  ;D

As for the newer releases, I don't feel they are lacking, they are certainly different, and the only song that doesn't agree with me from the new releases is La Venus, but maybe because I just love the older ballads more. But for example the guitar riffs at the beginning of Jade are aweeeeeeesome, it's my jam, and also my ringtone (that always startles people around me LOL. I myself jumped a couple of times :D). And can I just drool over Sugizo's violin performances, please? The Say Anything acoustic performance at Yokohama Arena is waah. I feel like he is a perfect addition to the team. I know that most don't really like the softer additions in sound but to me, this is why I fell for X Japan, this incredible mix of heavy elements with symphonic sound, classical piano. I never listened to heavy metal in my life. And had anyone ever told me that one day my favourite band would be a Japanese metal band, I would have laughed my ass off. But it just happened, and it's because this is just the perfect hybrid sound ever. OK, Toshi's emotional vocals enhance it, too. ;) I love that I can headbang like a madwoman one moment and cry my eyes off the other - and it's the friggin same song!

Sorry, it's been a long rant. I just would like people to talk about other stuff, too. What's your all time favourite guitar part, for example? Your favourite interview? Your favourite Pata moment? The absolute most cringe-worthy PV? Has any of you been to the hide Museum? Has any of you learnt to play an instrument because of X Japan? (I sort of regret that I never learnt any instruments, I have always loved the sound of bass) Does anyone know anything about Heath's childhood, for example? Or Pata's? Did you know that Taiji made the costumes in the early days? I could go on until dawn :) See, a whole bunch of things to talk about other than how disappointed everyone is because of the delay.

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: May 15, 2017, 05:42:17 PM
I think my frustration with the band has lead me to be a pretty big prick to you, Teemeah. Im sorry.

Fuck, dont go. Your post got me kind if excited about X again.

Ill post more later cause Im at work, but maybe talking about the band again is a good idea. Its been a while for me since Ive really shared my experiences and I just started reading some old threads too...

Im sorry for being stubborn and mean. Will you stay? Im not saying Ill stop complaining here and there lol, but I cam surely focus on the positives more.