• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Hide: 50th Anniversary: Junk Story Documentary

EwX942016 · 31460

Offline EwX942016

• View Profile
on: July 15, 2016, 05:09:40 PM
Has anyone on these boards seen it?

I was thinking of buying the Blu Ray however after finding out there are no English subs I'm questioning my decision.

Is it still enjoyable? Is it easy to grasp what's going on?

Thanks

Offline Riot

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 07:36:04 PM
I've seen it. I don't really speak Japanese, but I know some common phrases (and song lyrics ::) ). It's VERY difficult to understand what people are saying in the interviews, I only got the general idea of what they were talking about. I'm really glad that I watched it, but it's not something that I'd recommend, if you don't speak any Japanese. It would be much more enjoyable if it was subtitled in English.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 09:47:41 PM by Riot »

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 10:34:01 PM
I'm having Junk Story on BR with bonus dvd. The DVD is region encoded, which the bluray is not.

To answer your question: I can't speak japanese nor english very well, but I still recommend this documentary. There are also interviews with PATA and other members and companion from hide. Even if you don't understand everything, it still shows you an intersting look inside the world of hideto.

(May be there are fanmade subtitles on http://www.opensubtitles.org, but I haven't looked for it)

positively unsure。

Teemeah

Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 10:19:41 AM
I found the first half of it on Youtube but no subs :( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zRBkAXITpA

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 03:22:50 AM
I'll try to translate it, if you don't mind broken English.  :-[
But I don't know when I can finish it.

Please point out, if there are any mistranslations.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(0:00~5:07)

Yoshiki : I can't call it 'memories' yet. It's still going on. I would feel like this until all the members die. I think the story of Hide and X will continue as 'progressive form'.

caption : The guidepost which goes forward remains the same as the first...

Hide : Let me talk about next year's schedule. I'll show you a little "Rocket Dive" which I'm still working on. Here you are. This song is going to be released next year. I just finished a meeting with the staff about what to do next year. I can't tell you anymore, but I think I'll be busy next year. I have full schedules from January to December. Next year, I'll release a single that I'm making now. As I said in the magazine interview, I formed another new band based in LA. I'll also release the band's album and perform live concerts. And after the third solo album with this song "Rocket Dive" comes out next spring, it will be early summer. What will be the schedule from early summer to the end of the year? I'm going on a six-month tour. So make money by working part-time. (laugh)

narrator : On December 10, 2014, the album "Co Gal" released in 16 years. Hide is still running. Where does such a fascinating charm come from?

- He's the one who changed my life. ((I don't know if it's INA's voice or not))

I.N.A : A lot of things have changed since I met him. The meeting itself seems to be destiny. What did he mean to me?

narrator : Hide's 50th anniversary. Hide's colleagues gathered for a birthday event.

caption : Kawasaki, ClUB CITTA

Hide : [♪ Ever Free] I asked someone, "I lost heart to fall in love". Then the answer with a sigh came back. "How much does it cost to buy love?" I asked the kid, "I've lost the season of dreaming". And then you laughed and said. "Is a dream something to eat?" Looking at the falling sun...♪

narrator : At the same time, it was broadcast in Haneda and Osaka.

caption : Haneda, TIAT SKY HALL
Osaka Sinsaibasi SUNHALL

Hide : [♪ Ever Free] The first melody which is disappearing. Where did I get lost? Your dreams, which others call shit, are shaking in my heart.

Juichi Morishige (Jiggy) : I think he is the one who pioneered the way.

J (Luna Sea) : Hide is someone who discovered our music.

Seiji Kimura (Zeppet Store) : He completely changed my life.

Ken Ayugai (MC) : He taught me that there is more than one solution.

Kazuko Tanaka (photographer) : He had a strong sense of justice.

Hyogo Huji (Fernandes Adviser) : He was responsible for his role, and made a good environment for the people around him.

Kyo (D'ERLANGER) : He was like a carnivore on stage.

Joe (hide with Spread Beaver) : I thought, "That is Hide".

SEXX GEORGE (LADIESROOM) : I thought, "Another monster came into X".
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 03:35:20 AM by lakeisle »

Teemeah

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 09:55:03 AM
Ahh thank youuu. :) Your English is not broken at all, it's perfectly fine. 걱정하지 마세요 ^^

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 11:14:14 AM
(5:07~19:00)

CUTT : He kept changing but he did not change.

Kiyoshi (hide with Spread Beaver) : He was incredibly deliberate.

D.I.E (hide with Spread Beaver) : No matter how much time passes, the secret will not be released. No one can solve the mystery of Hide. He has known it himself.

PATA (X Japan) : I told him, "Why should I play your songs again?" (laugh) I played with anger.

Hide : [♪Ever Free] The first melody which is disappearing. Where is this headed? Your freedom, which others call shit, is still sleeping with having their wings folded. Ever free, get out of this night. Can I fly freely when I open my eyes? Ever free, where to, free? ever free ♪

YANA (Zeppet Store) : When he came up with a new idea, he developed it like painting over the idea. Will there be another such person?

Hide : [♪Ever Free] Fu Fu ever free in your sight. ♪

caption : Yokosuka, Dobuita Street

Hide : There was a place called Dobuita Street where a lot of US soldiers came. I was there almost everyday. I learned all about alcohol, tobacco, and women over there. Back in the days, all the stores on the street were playing rock music. I got interested and went in the store like this. Even if I was scared, I kept going there. And then, I made friends over there and made a band.

narrator : Hide's first band "Saver Tiger". He played the guitar in the band and entered the musician's path. On December 13, 1964, Hide was born. The Home town is Yokosuka. The real name is Hideto Matsumoto. Hide's brother and the personal manager Hiroshi Matsumoto. Currently, he is the representative of "Headwax Organization", which is founded by Hide.

Hiroshi : My three year older brother... to him, his stuff was his stuff, and my stuff was also his stuff. Even if we buy the same things, he said, "Your thing can be broken, my thing is very precious". He painted his own kit ((I don't know the equivalent word in English. They call this "pla model / plastic model" in Japanese. A kind of toys that can be assembled )) beautifully. And he assembled mine in an instant, and threw it away. I hated him. He was a bad guy. (laugh)

Yamada Hiroyasu (classmate) : His drawing skill was not the level of elementary school students.

Hiroshi : When he wrote, the sentences were very amazing. One day, he did my homework instead. And I was called to the teach and asked, "What books do you read?"

Hide : In my childhood before I aimed for rock music, I was a fat boy. I don't remember what my fat percentage was. It was when I was in elementary school. I came back from lunch and they let me run because I was fat.

Hiroshi : Hide said, "When I was called to the playground, there were only fat students there. They let us run". He kept telling me that he felt very humiliated at that time. 

narrator : The boy, Hide, became interested in guitars.

???? : My brother played a folk guitar at that time. I also learned the basic scale. I taught it to Hide.

Yoneyama Yuji (classmate) : "This is do, re, mi, fa, so, la, ti, do". We started like that.

Hide : I started dreaming of playing the guitar, recklessly.

???? : He pretended to play the guitar holding a tennis racket.

Hide : Back then, I was at the tennis club even though I was fat. I was pretending to play the guitar by holding a tennis racket. Then suddenly my mother came in and I was embarrassed.

???? : As far as I can remember, Hide said that his grandmother bought him a guitar.

HIde : When I was in 9th grade, I asked my grandmother crying. "Grandma, I want to have Gibson Les Paul" (laugh) Thus, when I was in junior high school, I sang hit songs medley holding an electric guitar. 

Higaki Takaya (classmate) : He used to sing anime theme songs. Hide's favorites were "Mazinger Z", "Devilman", and rock version of "Sazae-san". When the song to perform was decided, he laughed and played.

Hiroshi : He found that his guitar sound was different from the sound coming from the TV. Then he said, "Why is this different?"

Hide : I didn't have an effector, so there was no change in the sound. But I believed that the sound would be different if my guitar skills improved.

Hiroshi : I opened the door of his room and saw what he was doing. Hide ripped the back of the guitar, and was applying glue on it. I asked him if the guitar was broken. He replied that the sound didn't change. I said "It looks to be broken. Is it Okay?", then he said "Get out of here".

Hide : One day, it was noisy so I was wearing headphones. I threw the headphones out and left the room, then, I heard some sound. I went back to my room to see if I turned off the recorder, and I found it sounded from the headphones. At that moment, I thought "This is it! Everyone did it this way, even Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore and Ace Frehley are doing it this way!" After that, I played the guitar by raising the volume wearing headphones. From then on, I didn't even touch the amplifier, and just broke six or more headphones. (laugh)

narrator : Learning guitar became an opportunity to meet rock music.

Hide : One day in junior high school, my friend let me listen to KISS's music in his house. But I didn't like KISS's makeup. Thus, I borrowed the tape, but I just put it away. Then I had nothing to do, so I listened to that tape. After listening to it, I was shocked, "What's this?" It was the first time I was hit by a thunderstorm of music. I started thinking that I was born for rock. From then on, my Rock'n'Roll life started.

narrator : Later, Hide left these words.

caption :
“あの時の君から離れなければ, その答えは見つからないと思っていた”
“If you do not get away from you of those time, you will not find the answer”

narrator : You can't find the answer unless you stay away from yourself in the past. It took quite a long time for the idea to change. Time to reach an unimaginable future for an ordinary boy.

Hiroshi : He stared at an audience who didn't focus on the concert. Then he suddenly jumped into the audience and beat him with a guitar. I was shocked to see it.

narrator : He kept replacing members to raise the band's level. Conflict and anguish arose because of the members to be removed.

???? : I heard he was suffering from members problem.

Hiroshi : While strictly managing the members to be professional, he seemed to be sad every time he changed members. Sometimes he sobbed in the room.

narrator : Then the moment the best members come together came. It was vocal "Kyo" and drummer "Tetsu".

interviewer : How was Hide?

Kyo : Hide's way of working is...

Tetsu : Hide revealed himself in his work.

Kyo : That's true. He came with raw ideas and completed them with the people in the studio.

Tetsu : He was improvised.

Kyo : He didn't like the typical things. He bothered us to do this and that. Actually I didn't understand why he had us do that, but after doing it, I could understand him.

???? : He was a follower of intuition.

narrator : The three major garbage bands in Kanto region that influenced Indies scene. Saver Tiger was one of them. Also, X, which greatly influenced Hide's life.

Yoshiki : Hide was biting raw meat at a livehouse. I thought, "Who is that weirdo?" I didn't want to get very close with him. But he was very cool. He was chewing raw meat and was very sensual. I already knew at that point that he and I would be together.

narrator : One of the three major garbage bands in the Kanto region, DEMENTIA.

Shigeru GEESS Kosugi (the president of HOWLING BULL / ex-DEMENTIA vocal) : He had a very fancy makeup, but his personality was quite humble. But when the performance begins...  Hide's aura was awesome. I thought, "This guy is crazy".

narrator : At that time, Hide said :

???? : Hide said, he hated himself. That’s why he created the present Hide. And he said that he was worried about whether he could produce Hide well as he imagined himself or not. He said that Hideto Matsumoto is desperately producing Hide to be more beautiful than anyone.

???? : He already knew that way at that time.

caption :
“松本秀人がhideをプロデュースする”
“Hideto Matsumoto produces Hide”

narrator : Hideto Matsumoto produces Hide. The idea has been reflected in subsequent creative activities. It's the evidence that there was a character of Hide, back then. Hide is well-known as an artist with double-sideness. 

caption : “二面性” “double-sideness”

narrator : "Hideto Matsumoto produces Hide". Does that way of thinking lead to the two sides of Hide?

caption:
頭蓋の中 飛び回る
僕に似てる 2匹のムシが
囁けば 逆らえず
僕は飼われてるのか? (Breeding)

Flying around in the cranium
Are two worms that resemble me
When they whisper, I can’t refuse.
Are they breeding me? (Breeding)

I.N.A (hide with Spread Beaver) : The relationship between Hide and Hideto Matsumoto was perfectly that of two sides. He didn’t mix the two together, right? The two couldn’t be one.

Kanno Hideo (photographer) : He had as many shadows as light. He might have had a frustration and a conflict that he could not express even though he was a creator.

I.N.A (hide with Spread Beaver) : He was a perfectionist but he was not perfect. Thus, he seemed to have always aimed for perfection.

CHIROLYN (hide with Spread Beaver) : He was a very delicate person. So I had to keep distance from him to be friends with him. Even if you get acquainted with him, you will not understand the whole world of Hide.

I.N.A (hide with Spread Beaver) : He was not a rock star whose personal life was a mess. He took care of very trifling things. Then when he drank, he used to become violent.

Kiyoshi (hide with Spread Beaver) : He was spoiled, but sincere at the same time. (laugh) He was double-faced inside.

Takahashi Emi (Stylist) : There were two worlds within him. He had a part to enjoy, but sometimes he acted like it was calculated.

D.I.E (hide with Spread Beaver) : “Two-sided” is a word for Hide.

I.N.A (hide with Spread Beaver) : Hideto, the boy, remains intact. And Hide was born as a new personality. Hideto Matsumoto had rock star Hide inside. We shared a lot about music. But I feel like I did not understand Hide in a human way. The more I think about it, the more I feel it.

narrator : Hide’s character was a mask that fascinated people. But this may had been the cause of the conflict of mind at times

caption :
“自分をコントロールしてる奴がいるっていうことは、小学校の頃からずっと感じていた。単純に、裏と表ということじゃなく”
“I knew that there was someone who was controlling me from the time I was in elementary school. It’s not simply about the inside and the outside.”

================================================
The stylist who appears at around 18:00 was Hide’s girl friend. She was the first person who discovered that Hide died.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:31:52 AM by lakeisle »

Offline sasasama

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 11:37:29 AM
Thank you so much for translating this! I like that part, when Yoshiki said, he just knew, he and hide will be together eventually. I had this experience with people in my life. I saw a man on stage, I didn't know his name, actually I didn't know anything about him, but I had this feeling inside, that I want to be connected with him, I want to talk to him, and I just felt, that our lives will interweave. We'd been together for almost 4 years before we broke up. Life is strange. :")

Also, it's really interesting to hear this theory of the "real" Hideto Matsumoto, and "hide" the person on stage, the rock musician.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:39:15 AM by sasasama »

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 11:47:30 AM
Lakeisle, I think I could never thank you enough for translating all this stuff - big hugs from France!  :D

This was extremely interesting to read. He was way more complex as a character than I imagined.

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Teemeah

Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 12:07:37 PM
It is really interesting. I wish they would release this movie outside of Japan on DVD with subs, so I could keep it for myself :) Thank you so much for translating it lakeisle.

Offline helenmoon

• Sunday Listener
  • kiss the sky
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 04:17:40 PM
Thak you, it's so interesting... the words of his bandmates and his own words about himself and his music help to focus his complex personality...

Your scars are beautiful

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 04:37:16 PM
Oh wow.  I think I feel sick. It's like there were two of him.  The one people saw on the outside and a different one on the inside.  Almost like a multiple personality.  Schizophrenic.  But we will never know.  The butterflies - a symbol of transformation.  Did he do that on purpose and did he know or was it some kind of intuition or not? *freaking out, here*.   :(

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 04:39:48 PM
Thank you very much for the translation. It's very interesting, I wish they released it with subtitles.

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 06:48:06 AM
I like that part, when Yoshiki said, he just knew, he and hide will be together eventually. I had this experience with people in my life. I saw a man on stage, I didn't know his name, actually I didn't know anything about him, but I had this feeling inside, that I want to be connected with him, I want to talk to him, and I just felt, that our lives will interweave. We'd been together for almost 4 years before we broke up. Life is strange. :")

Thank you for sharing your experience. Sometimes I feel like you. I also met someone who gave me that feeling. Even if I saw him for the first time, I felt like I'd known him for a long time. Why is there such a feeling? Did I receive messages from the future? Haha. Yeah! Life is strange.

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 08:56:43 AM
(19:00~34:30)

narrator :  “Saver Tiger”, the starting point of Hide. Their leap with ideal members. However, there was something on their way ahead of them.

Tetsu : Hide’s attitude and mindset seemed to be very irrational to me. Hide was not going to compromise. I said, “I can’t accept it, I’ll quit”. Because if I stayed in the band, there would be conflicts.

narrator : Hide had confidence in the composition of the members. He didn’t want to lose them. Thus, he made an extreme decision.

caption : January 28, 1987, disbandment of Saver Tiger

(The neon signs say “Rokumeikan” which is the traditional and legendary livehouse)

Tetsu : Hide said that if I leave the band, he would also leave the band, and become a hairdresser. I said “Never say that”. But I didn’t want to reverse my decision.

?? : When Hide was in Saver Tiger, I asked him to join us but I was rejected. (laugh)

Hiroshi : There was no reason to stop playing the guitar suddenly for a guy who had been enjoying the guitar for so long. I knew he’d cried a lot.

Yoshiki : I received a phone call. Hide said that he disbanded the band and would quit the music. But he showed indications of wanting to be together. I realized that he was still motivated. At that time, our band was rehearsing. So I asked, “Will you come to see us?”. He came and watched the rehearsal. He seemed to have a lot of thoughts. After that, we went for a drink. He said “I’m going to join X”. We were all surprised and very excited to hear that.

narrator : SEXX GEORGE from LADIESROOM who was the road manager of X at that time.

SEXX GEORGE(LADIESROOM) : I really wanted to stop it. It was tremendously hard for me to manage Yoshiki. Then another monster is joining X? (laugh)

caption : February 1987, joining X

Yoshiki : Hide was brilliant. I knew we will have good chemistry. I was convinced of it when Hide came in, even before playing with him. I thought it would be a new beginning.

Tetsu : Hide called me and said that he joined X. I told him “Good for you”.

Kyo : I guess the reason why Hide called Tetsu. Hide knew that Tetsu didn’t want him to quit the music. That’s probably why Hide called. Hide said that even if Saver Tiger had disappeared, the members would spread like embers. He told me, “Tetsu, who put a soul in music is about to form a new band. You are going to pursue a splendid rock’n’roll. And I will take the things that I wanted to show in Saver Tiger to X. And then I’ll change X.” He said each seed would become four times stronger if dispersed. It is an intense reminder of my impression.

narrator : X has achieved a higher leap since Hide’s joining. X’s influence has grown in the indie scene more and more.

caption : COLOR

narrator : At that time, Color appeared in the Kansai region. People used to call it, “X in the east and Color in the west”.

Dynamite Tommy (CEO of sun-krad / COLOR vocal) : There was an accident during the live performance. Japan had a custom, so I suggested to have time for self-restraint. But everyone acted as they pleased. “Fans want us to keep performing”... claiming like that. They didn’t listen to me at all. I asked Hide what to do. And then he said, “There is the custom in Japan. Sometimes you have to follow it.” He gave me several CDs and said, “How about you do this kind of music?” Usually people don’t care about other bands like that. But he said so and I was comforted. I thought he really cared about me.

narrator : X came out of the indie scene and debuted in the major scene. It changes the history of Japanese rock scene. In 1992, X was renamed X Japan to advance into the world and moved their base to LA. The images that came out from the inside. The photobook which became the new page of creator Hide. “I don’t need a life-size statue of mine. I want to create a photo album that reverses the existing image”

caption : April 1992, released the first photoalbum “Mugongeki”

interviewer : He seems to be possessed by something.

Kanno Hideo (photographer) : That’s true. He’s possessed. He is running. Just pressing a button makes him go into the another mode right away.

Kazuko Tanaka (photographer) : The man in the straitjacket is staring at something as if he wants to say something. Is he begging to save him? Is he wanting to depend? Hide’s eyes seemed to say that. That face still remains in my memory.

Kanno Hideo (photographer) : In terms of model or subject, he is really the best. He had the power to go beyond the times. He is the person who must be mentioned in the fashion field. Because he transcended the age.

caption :
Chap 1 : サディストの憂鬱 (Sadist’s Melancholy)
Chap 3 : 儀信仏 (Buddhist)
Chap 4 : 双生 (Twin)
Chap 7 : 自己中心的な静物 (Self-centered still Life)
Chap 8 : 浄化 (Purification)
Chap 9 : 鍵 (Key)

narrator :  Hide’s poem on each page of the photobook “Mugongeki”. Was there the will for his solo activity hidden in it?

caption : June 13, 1993, Harajuku

narrator : 3,000 fans gathered. Hide decided to do X Japan activities and solo activities at the same time. The announcement of solo debut.

* on display board : “Solo Debut Determined”

narrator : He was about to perform “OBLAAT” on the street but it was canceled due to the rainstorm.

interviewer : Please say anything.

Hide : I wanted to perform. Let them know this. (whispering “I wanted to perform”)

Hide : I really wanted to perform. (whispering “I really wanted to perform”)

Hide : There is a flood in the upper space. (whispering “Is there a flood above?”)

Hide : There is a fire in the lower space. (whispering “There is a fire in the lower space”)

Hide : That's it. (whispering “That's it”)

Hide : Let’s stop here.

JOE (hide with Spread Beaver / drums) : He said he was scared in a hoarse voice. He probably seemed nervous.

CHIROLYN (hide with Spread Beaver / bass) : He seemed to be very nervous because it was the first tour for Hide.

D.I.E (hide with Spread Beaver / keyboard) : He was very nervous in order to be perfect.

caption : August 5, 1993, The first single “Eyes Love You” and “50%&50%” were simultaneously released.

caption : January 21, 1994, The third single “Dice” was released.

caption : February 23, 1994, The first album “Hide Your Face” was released.

narrator : The pop style of “Eyes Love You” was completely different from Hide’s music until that time.

caption : EYES LOVE YOU

I.N.A : There was a stereotype like “If Hide released something, it would certainly be this style”. He wanted to break that stereotype.   

caption : March 16, 1994, hide FIRST SOLO TOUR ‘94
HIDE OUR PSYCHOMMUNITY
~ Come to Hide’s Room ~

narrator : “I have a pop tendency as well. I put such a tendency intentionally into the single A side. I want people, even who don’t know about me to enjoy it”

Hide : [♪Eyes Love You] Red eyes in the city of Sodom, I collect beautiful women. ♪

narrator : “It was most difficult to be familiar with my own voice” (narrator is conveying hide’s word)

Hide : [♪Eyes Love You] : Butterflies and moths fastened to needles ♪

I.N.A : I participated in his singing practice. He recorded nearly a thousand times.

Kyo : He was so troubled by recording too many times. I told him that he didn’t have to record so many times. It was the only advice I ever gave him.

Hide : I’m currently singing as a solo. However, when I was an amateur who loved rock music, I really hated vocalists. They all like to meddle in and want to get attentions. I thought that none of vocalists were normal. I thought I was far from vocalists. The way of playing the guitar quietly on one side of the stage was very attractive to me. That’s why I wanted to be a guitarist.

I.N.A : You can see from the album credit. It’s written “Voice” instead of “Vocalist” on the album credit. He seemed to think “I’m not a vocalist yet”. He was still looking for the directions to go forward.

Hide : [♪Eyes Love You] The afterimage of Venus, My eyes love you, let’s love, in a room full of fantasies.  Eyes love you, now the eyes have snatched you. My eyes love you♪

narrator : The music friends whom Hide met. Those who should not be lost.

Hide : [♪Eyes Love You] I want to indulge you in it.

Pata (X Japan) : He would not have thought of inviting me to his first tour. Ran* suggested him that Pata should also join. (laugh) Then I decided to join. I didn’t care much about it though. (laugh)

JOE (hide with Spread Beaver / drums) : The first day we met, we drank and went for another round. We were on our way to another bar. I didn’t know what the problem was, but Hide was smashing a vending machine. I stopped him because he was kicking it with his foot. I asked him if he was upset because it didn't dispense a drink. He said no, so I asked why he was angry. He had no reason to say. Thus, I said “You are an idiot. Let’s go!” and dragged him. And then, I was talking to someone other than Hide at the bar. Then Hide suddenly stood up to yell, “Am I an idiot?” and hit me. Later, he called me and said he was sorry. He said he couldn’t sleep at all and apologized about his behavior. I said it was okay because it happened while we were drinking and then told him “Let’s drink together again later”. Then he said “Thank you” and hung up the phone. After a while, he told me about his solo album and said “I’ll tour later so I want you to join me”.

D.I.E (hide with Spread Beaver / keyboard) : I was an unknown keyboardist at the time. I was so excited to meet the member of X. Hide was waiting for me with his sunglasses on. I had a heartbeat. I still remember the heartbeat at that time. I felt like I was going to see the count of Monte Cristo. I first met him with such tension and excitement.

Hide : [♪Eyes Love You] My eyes love you, trapped in tears.

CHIROLYN (hide with Spread Beaver / bass) : Hide’s first impression was... I felt like I saw the bareface of Kabuki actress. His skin was very good. Hide liked Hideyuki.** One day, he was seeing Hideyuki on TV. I was playing behind him then. He said he’s wanted to be together since he saw me on TV. I first met Hide and heard “Yoroshiku”. Just a handshake with him settled everything. Normally, they ask me to play. But Hide shook hands and said “Yoshoshiku”. (I don't know how to translate it in English. Yoroshiku is a Japanese greeting. It means ”Please be nice to me”... odd if it is directly translated in English. Anyway, it implies that Hide wanted to be with CHIROLYN from the day on)

narrator : The fateful encounter with I.N.A who had been the manipulator of X. Hide moved I.N.A from the backstage to onstage. Hide and I.N.A had a lot in common about music. So all the songs were made by Hide and I.N.A in collaboration. “The musician Hide is produced by Hideto Matsumoto and INA”. Hide’s solo activity was spurred through the collaboration.

I.N.A : He said he wanted to make the best team by gathering people he liked. He invited me to his team. Instead, he wanted me to exert all my talents only for him. There were another condition. He said, if we work together, we have to work on an equal footing. He said I should not admire him in order to to collaborate. We could collaborate because it was under those conditions. 

narrator : “I.N.A, Use all your talents only for me”. I.N.A who worked as right arm in Hide’s solo activity. The life of I.N.A has changed drastically by meeting Hide.

caption : I.N.Aの才能を, すべて俺のためだけにそそいでくれ (Use all I.N.A’s talent only for me)

==========================================================

* Ran(Toshiya Matsukawa) : He is a guitarist. He was the member for hide FIRST SOLO TOUR '94.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK90dt6BmTk&feature=youtu.be

** Hideyuki : He is a guitarst. He was the member of metal band “Schau-Essen”.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaXjwpqDJWM&feature=youtu.be

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:21:32 AM by lakeisle »

Teemeah

Reply #15 on: March 01, 2018, 09:09:13 AM
Thank you so much. :) I laughed out hard at this part: "It was tremendously hard for me to manage Yoshiki. Then another monster is joining X? (laugh)" -- Indeed, it must have been really difficult to manage two reckless guys in one band :D

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: March 01, 2018, 09:23:02 AM
Thank you so much. :) I laughed out hard at this part: "It was tremendously hard for me to manage Yoshiki. Then another monster is joining X? (laugh)" -- Indeed, it must have been really difficult to manage two reckless guys in one band :D

Yeah! Extreme job ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: March 01, 2018, 11:36:47 AM
Kanno Hideo (photographer) : That’s true. He’s possessed. He is running. Just pressing a button makes him go into the another mode right away.

Kazuko Tanaka (photographer) : The man in the straitjacket is staring at something as if he wants to say something. Is he begging to save him? Is he wanting to depend? Hide’s eyes seemed to say that. That face still remains in my memory.

Kanno Hideo (photographer) : In terms of model or subject, he is really the best. He had the power to go beyond the times. He is the person who must be mentioned in the fashion field. Because he transcended the age.

Couldn't agree more. If anything, I guess I like Hide's visual work even more than his music career. Am I the only one who thinks he would have been a kickass fashion model? Like, Twiggy/Kate Moss/Naomi-grade. Not sure what the hell he could model (alien fashion maybe?), but he would have made a darn good job.

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline sasasama

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: March 01, 2018, 07:37:34 PM
Thank you very much again. The vending machine part was hmm... interesting. I mean, from that he seems like a person, who swallowed all of his problems, all of his frustrations, and alcohol made it come out like that. He was a person, who cared about his friends, but he didn't let them get too close to him. You know, I went to Berlin in October to the We are X premier, and Q&A with Yoshiki, and I had the chance to ask him a question. We could ask only one, but now, I would have another question to him. If hide and he were best friends, did he also feel like he can't get to know him completely, did he also feel this kind of 'mistery' around him? Or he was able to break this wall? Did he know the real hide? I'm sure he wouldn't answer this question, but after reading this, I have this thought in my mind...

Teemeah

Reply #19 on: March 01, 2018, 08:07:19 PM
Yoshiki and Toshi are best friends and he didn't even know about his brainwashing going on. Or that Toshi felt incompetent as a singer. I doubt Yoshiki and hide talked much about serious stuff, either. My guess is they only talked music.

Offline helenmoon

• Sunday Listener
  • kiss the sky
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: March 01, 2018, 09:31:25 PM
I've been wondering a lot about Yoshiki's and hide's real personalities...
Frankly speaking, I think there are public and private ones, none of them can (or could) really tell everything to fans. There are too private things you have to keep for yourself, especially when you are a sovraexposed rockstar (of course they chose to be famous...).
Yoshiki defined hide "a very self-contained person", which describes only the 'sober' aspect of hide's personality...
I can't consider the conversation with Toshi in We are X more than a mere repeat of the one they - probably - had when they seriously considered reuniting the band.
We are X is a great documentary (to me it means much more than a mere film) and I think it's really honest, but it had to be a well studied product also...
Art in general and particularly music allude and makes you travel... it summons entire worlds within us... X Japan can do it even more powerfully because of the real passion they lavished into it, it was born and continues to live in a certain way also because they transmit the feeeling that there is something which is worthwhile to die for, something you can't touch and it's not money. Under this point of view I think the band is very japanese and fans expect much more from them than from other musicians... so - for example - when Yoshiki twitts he "flew across the sea to see" his little maltese Melody, some fans become aggressive (he told this recently in a russian interview) because the gap beetwen the powerful, talented and rich rockstar and the ordinary fan make them fear they can deceive us... that the message is not honest nor true... that they manipulate us (which - obviously - they do, but not in this exclusively negative sense) but if they wanted only to make money they could have well chose to become manager of some fashion product... and keep their spinal discs sound and safe... Probably the truth is much more complex than they can publicly explain and they are certainly not perfect (for no reward I would have accepted to be a receptionist of the hotel they were sleeping in after a gig during the first 90s...)
Anyway I'm so grateful to them... they had the power to move my deep inner simbolic life like no other musician could do... ok, this is a love letter and you're fed up... sooorryyy  ::) ;D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 10:56:45 AM by helenmoon »

Your scars are beautiful

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: March 02, 2018, 04:40:39 AM

Couldn't agree more. If anything, I guess I like Hide's visual work even more than his music career. Am I the only one who thinks he would have been a kickass fashion model? Like, Twiggy/Kate Moss/Naomi-grade. Not sure what the hell he could model (alien fashion maybe?), but he would have made a darn good job.

Absolutely. His fashion is not outdated in 2018, and will not be in the future. Yoshiki's photobook is completely different, and I think it's also beautiful and full of personality. I'm sad that there is no photoalbum of Taiji. I think he was soooo handsome and had a nice body when he was young. I like his body... very slim and muscular at the same time. He was fashionable as well. I've heard that early X's fashion and hairstyles were largely directed by Taiji. I miss him so much.

I would have another question to him. If hide and he were best friends, did he also feel like he can't get to know him completely, did he also feel this kind of 'mistery' around him? Or he was able to break this wall? Did he know the real hide? I'm sure he wouldn't answer this question, but after reading this, I have this thought in my mind...

That's a really interesting question. We know that he will avoid the answer. Actually he was asked the same question in "We Are X". The director asked, "What kind of person is Toshl?", and Yoshiki replied, "I don't know, Ask the same question to Toshl. He will answer the same way." I don't know how much Yoshiki and Hide was close. But I assume that Yoshiki has been strongly influenced by Hide, until now. I think "We Are X" was made because of "Junk Story". It's just my delusion, but... possibly.

Anyway I'm so grateful to them... they had the power to move my deep inner simbolic life like any other musician... ok, this is a love letter and you're fed up... sooorryyy  ::) ;D

I'm not fed up. This is a forum for X Japan. Why would we be fed up with love letters?

By the way, I have a question. Did he say something about Melody in a Russian interview? Can you tell me about it?

Offline helenmoon

• Sunday Listener
  • kiss the sky
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: March 02, 2018, 06:30:17 AM
hi lakeisle, the site is this:

http://inrock.ru/interviews/yoshiki_2018

At a certain moment they say:

Interviewer: One more sentimental question: you have a beautiful dog whose name is Melody. How does it do? Doesn't it get bored without you?

Yoshiki: I love dogs. In general it's difficult for me to speak about my personal life. Fans usually support me, but sometimes it happens some of them interfere with my life and for some reason they become very aggressive. Even a conversation about my dog can upset them. So I try to keep these things to myself".

The interview contains very intersting moments and Yoshiki seems to be particularly trustful both of the interviewer and of the russian context...

There is another moment (I think on twitter) - always in Russia - when during a meeting (when he wasn't probably expected to play) - he asks to play drums...

Your scars are beautiful

Offline helenmoon

• Sunday Listener
  • kiss the sky
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: March 02, 2018, 08:02:56 AM
In this site:

http://www.silver.ru/programms/peremotka/+editions-of-the-program/materials-ObefiresyaponskimmuzykantomikompozitoromYEsikiKHayasi/

Yoshiki says:

"Then we became pretty big in Japan, but at the same time we lost the best player... he took his own life... also the vocalist was brainwashed..."

In the film he doesn't say so... It makes him even more closer and dear to me... because he really loved him and seems he doesn't know himself whether to protect his memory and the most sensible fans from depression and emulation or to speak more freely about this very difficult topic in order to love and accept every aspect of his beloved bandmate's personality...

hide is my favourite... and yes, as a great visulal artist ha could do a great job in fashion...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 10:57:32 AM by helenmoon »

Your scars are beautiful

Offline sasasama

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: March 02, 2018, 08:27:33 AM
In this site:

http://www.silver.ru/programms/peremotka/+editions-of-the-program/materials-ObefiresyaponskimmuzykantomikompozitoromYEsikiKHayasi/

Yoshiki says:

"Then we became pretty big in Japan, but at the same time we lost the best player... he took his own life... also the vocalist was brainwashed..."

In the film he doesn't say so... It makes him even more closer and dear to me... because he really loved him and seems he doesn't know himself whether to protect his memory and the most sensible fans from depression and emulation or to speak more freely about this very difficult topic in order to love and accept every aspect of his beloved bandmate personality...

hide is my favourite... and yes, as a great visulal artist ha could do a great job in fashion...

Whaaaaat??? Now I'm really really shocked!!!! He strongly believes that hide didn't commit suicide, he strongly believes it was an accident, and now he says he took his own life? Okay, I'm pretty shocked right now.

Offline helenmoon

• Sunday Listener
  • kiss the sky
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: March 02, 2018, 08:40:53 AM
sasasama I completely understand you...   :-* I think we have to accept his contradictions... the matter has been and is really painful and difficult for him... hide had a complex personality and as fans perhaps we can understand his fear to disclose too much about a human being who cannot defend or explain himself any more... but when he's in a different and more relaxing situation - like now in Russia - he needs so much to open himself with fans... he's ningen (human being)...
Anyway I think also that nor Yoshiki nor we ever know what really happened...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 08:52:23 AM by helenmoon »

Your scars are beautiful

Offline sasasama

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: March 02, 2018, 08:47:25 AM
sasasama I completely understand you...   :-* I think we have to accept his contradictions... the matter has been and is really painful and difficult for him... hide had a complex personality and as fans perhaps we can understand his fear to disclose too much about a human being who cannot defend or explain himself any more... but when he's in a different and more relaxing situation - like now in Russia now - he needs so much to open himself with fans... he's ningen (humam being)...

I understand what you say, completely. And I agree. But it's still so shocking, because he claimed it was an accident from the very beginning, he stayed true to his opinion to -as you said - protect hide, protect the fans, and in my opinion to protect himself too... Because it's so much easier to think, it was an accident, and easier to accept. If he really said this, that means he was able to believe the idea, that he committed suicide, which is a huge progress for him. I don't know... I'm just a bit confused.

Teemeah

Reply #27 on: March 02, 2018, 08:53:35 AM
Or maybe it is a mistranslation. Both Yoshiki and Toshi mentioned several times that they didn't really talk about these things, his brainwashing, the difficulties he went through. he also mentions this in the book. These dudes are Japanese, they are wired by society not to talk about such issues. That's why you have all this crazy stuff in Japanese entertainment and social life, people find other ways to let the fume out, because they are simply not allowed to talk about their problems.

Teemeah

Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 08:55:27 AM
lakeisle, Junk Story was released in 2015. But We Are X was shot in 2014.

Offline sasasama

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: March 02, 2018, 08:56:07 AM
Or maybe it is a mistranslation. Both Yoshiki and Toshi mentioned several times that they didn't really talk about these things, his brainwashing, the difficulties he went through. he also mentions this in the book. These dudes are Japanese, they are wired by society not to talk about such issues. That's why you have all this crazy stuff in Japanese entertainment and social life, people find other ways to let the fume out, because they are simply not allowed to talk about their problems.

Well, that would explain a lot. It's so hard to believe he said that...