• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

We Are X Doc Promo Poster Revealed!

returner · 25741

Offline Astralmind

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: January 21, 2016, 12:04:39 PM
Anyone besides AsukaMiyu read that article : http://www.parkrecord.com/ci_29405325/metal-documentary-was-mind-bending-journey-stephen-kijak

I find it a tad depressing... thoughts ?

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: January 21, 2016, 02:12:48 PM
Yoshiki is my favorite member so the more I get of him the more I get in return as a fan. Just in general, I think it'd be best to wait until the documentary came out to make judgments on the content... even if we know it's going to be Yoshiki-biased we don't know how much he's going to share about the other members like hide, who he was closest with. He also mentioned at MSG that X's indie days were their best days so, you know, who knows what will be revealed. I'm very interested in the doc so far, I'm more curious about the reunion than the history because there's more confusion and mystery around it.

ugh I expected sth about X since their indie days till now...n wished I would learn more about heath and pata...however I think they don't like it...but even if it's more about Yoshiki,it'll be still interesting,I'm so excited...

I went to Stephen Kijak's twitter and he said the hardest part about making the documentary was getting Pata to talk so I think you're right, lol!

We are not trying to keep the legacy—we are trying to move forward, so our sound is going to change. I’m ready to be criticized, for example by fans saying "you should rather be this style." I’m ready for it, I’m okay with any concept of criticism-Yoshiki

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #33 on: January 23, 2016, 07:12:41 AM
http://www.billboard.com/articles/events/sundance/6851686/x-japan-documentary-we-are-x-sundance-film-festival
Heeeey, I was just about to post this. The clip was kinda cool, I thought.

(Also, what's this I'm hearing about Pata & him having a blood clot?? Please tell me that this is just a baseless rumor)

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: January 23, 2016, 07:43:45 AM
http://variety.com/2016/film/festivals/we-are-x-doc-primed-for-sundance-1201686511/

Kijak said Yoshiki was completely hands-off during the process of making the film. That makes sense, since it seems like he was hesitant to make it in the first place since it brought up awful memories.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/events/sundance/6851686/x-japan-documentary-we-are-x-sundance-film-festival
Heeeey, I was just about to post this. The clip was kinda cool, I thought.

(Also, what's this I'm hearing about Pata & him having a blood clot?? Please tell me that this is just a baseless rumor)

That is a cool clip! As for that rumor... I'm not really sure where the information is stemming from but I do know Ra:In activities have been suspended due to Pata's health. Hopefully we get more information soon and it's just something temporary. However, if his health affects X's upcoming activities we'll know it's really serious.

We are not trying to keep the legacy—we are trying to move forward, so our sound is going to change. I’m ready to be criticized, for example by fans saying "you should rather be this style." I’m ready for it, I’m okay with any concept of criticism-Yoshiki

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #35 on: January 23, 2016, 07:51:48 AM
Okay since you're talking about now anyway....... The postponement due to Pata recovering from s blood clot was on the same websites that now have only the video and a shortened version of it. I hope there for an official clarification asap! -_-

Anyway, even the current version still says this:
X Japan will release its first new studio album in 20 years this fall.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:54:04 AM by AsukaMiyu »

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #36 on: January 24, 2016, 03:31:32 AM

That is a cool clip! As for that rumor... I'm not really sure where the information is stemming from but I do know Ra:In activities have been suspended due to Pata's health. Hopefully we get more information soon and it's just something temporary. However, if his health affects X's upcoming activities we'll know it's really serious.

Okay since you're talking about now anyway....... The postponement due to Pata recovering from s blood clot was on the same websites that now have only the video and a shortened version of it. I hope there for an official clarification asap! -_-

Anyway, even the current version still says this:
X Japan will release its first new studio album in 20 years this fall.

Someone on Facebook said that poor Pata has Thrombosis or something like that. . . I do hope that Yoshiki says something soon. February is coming soon & X Day will come fast, so if there's gonna be a delay, he needs to say something now.

Offline friday

• Moderators
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: January 25, 2016, 10:20:53 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/we-are-x-sundance-review-858743     interesting review! Pretty much summaries the 'Yoshiki focus' which a lot of other people have mentioned.

MODERATOR'd!

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: January 25, 2016, 10:41:39 AM
http://www.screendaily.com/reviews/we-are-x-review/5099234.article

This one does too. Though this reviewer liked the film as a non-fan whereas the other reviewer seems to think it's specifically for the fans.

There’s enough in We Are X to satisfy the band’s hordes of fervent fans, while still impressing those who have never heard of X Japan; some concert sequences are crazy, magnificent, rock and roll madness.

Btw, seems the blood clot rumor was true, if this Sanspo news article can be trusted. A user on twitter translated it:

Sanspo article: http://www.sanspo.com/smp/geino/news/20160125/geo16012505010011-s.html
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 10:58:32 AM by returner »

Offline madrigal

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: January 25, 2016, 09:17:38 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/we-are-x-sundance-review-858743     interesting review! Pretty much summaries the 'Yoshiki focus' which a lot of other people have mentioned.

The review talks about two members committing suicide, and calls MSG the culmination of years of reunion touring... Hmm.. The first is just wrong and the second makes it sound awfully smoother than it actually was :P (a shout out to all of us who went to Paris in 08...)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 12:10:11 AM by madrigal »

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: January 25, 2016, 09:51:48 PM
Neat article. Copying and pasting because fsr the website makes you pay for a subscription if you read more than once  ::)

http://www.newsweek.com/day-three-sundance-film-festival-419334

First, I caught the world premiere of Stephen Kajiak’s emotive documentary We Are X, which chronicles the rise of the five-piece band X Japan (not to be mistaken with California X, or X, an excellent punk band also hailing from California). Helmed by the brilliant composer, pianist and drummer Yoshiki (the subject of the documentary), X Japan gained immediate success in their native Japan upon their debut in the 1980s, bursting onto the scene with their distinctive combination of metal, balladry and unbelievable technical skill that came to be known as “visual kei.” Their flamboyant sartorial approach, inspired by David Bowie’s chameleonic Martian chic, Kabuki culture and the safety pin stylings of early punk bands, definitely helped. As did the band’s heart-pounding live performances, complete with flames, kaleidoscopic light shows and 10-plus-minute-long drum solos that at times left Yoshiki collapsed on the floor. (Later on, the band would provide him with oxygen tanks so he was able to keep playing.)

It’s not all leather and spikes and everything nice, though. The story of the band X Japan is, really, a meditation on the triumph that’s often buried somewhere amid senseless tragedy. In this case, that includes losing several several close friends and family members to suicide and even having to contend with cult brainwashing. Yoshiki’s story is the central narrative here, and through his personal tales, dazzling footage of the band preparing for a 2014 Madison Square Garden run and some serious archival deep-dives (including an unexpected brush with David Lynch!), the director threads together a compelling narrative that will resonate with fans and new listeners alike. It also forces us to grapple with difficult questions of purpose, the inevitable role of pain in art, and how music acts as a force for salvation, as much for the fans as for the musicians who thrash these songs into existence.

Yoshiki—who was once described to me as “the Mick Jagger of Asia”—walked out after the premiere to a standing ovation. While soft-spoken and gracious with his stories, Yoshiki is every bit the larger-than-life force of rock he appears to be onscreen, decked out in leathers and a blowout that would make Farrah Fawcett clench her jaw in jealousy. Later, Yoshiki tells me that he cried “about 10 times” while watching the film, which is among one of the most uplifting pieces I’ve seen at Sundance, period.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:55:10 PM by returner »

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: February 01, 2016, 11:04:28 AM
I wish Yoshiki would properly address what's going on with Pata and the rumours/misinformation about the album release and concert date. I understand the documentary is #1 to him right now but it's getting a little insane how much he's dedicating his social media time towards it. Yoshiki already goes on and on and on about things so I guess I should be used to this by now. I just think it's unfair for those who've bought tickets and travel to London.

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: February 01, 2016, 08:17:48 PM
I wish Yoshiki would properly address what's going on with Pata and the rumours/misinformation about the album release and concert date. I understand the documentary is #1 to him right now but it's getting a little insane how much he's dedicating his social media time towards it. Yoshiki already goes on and on and on about things so I guess I should be used to this by now. I just think it's unfair for those who've bought tickets and travel to London.

Yoshiki made this post on twitter earlier today :)

We will announce Pata's condition and #XJAPAN's future plan this week.
今週、PataそしてXJAPANの今の状況をアナウンスする予定です。

I'm sure he just didn't want to make any premature announcements.

Offline magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: February 01, 2016, 09:09:37 PM
Fingers crossed that Pata will recover real soon. It would be very bad if they need to cancel/postpone the concert, after Yoshiki has been promoting and pushing it since last summer.

As for me, if this concert will be cancelled. I will never go to any X Japan concert. Some years ago, they cancelled the Paris concert, which I have booked the flight and hotel. I just can't keep on wasting money in booking flights and hotels to the cities where I don't need to go.

Yes, I know the situation is different this time, anyway…….

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #44 on: February 02, 2016, 06:05:36 AM
Well the first time they announced to play in Bercy (July 5th 2008), they were just chaotic, I think the second time (November 22nd 2008) they cancelled due to management changes and the third time (October 10th 2009) it was due to the recovery time of Yoshiki's surgery.

Anyway, if Pata is not able to play, everyone understands that. However, they can STILL show the movie and the remaining members can STILL appear! Or have a guest musician. I'm thinking about the style of ToshI's solo concerts...

But let's see what they'll come up with... :/
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 06:07:09 AM by AsukaMiyu »

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: February 02, 2016, 12:52:41 PM
Or have a guest musician.

This. Normal bands do this in cases like this. And I'm pretty sure everyone will understand is just while they wait for Pata's recovery. Is better than cancelling another concert and lots of people becoming angry because planned to go to England just for the concert that won't happen.

Offline CreepyKlutz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: February 02, 2016, 11:39:09 PM
I wonder if we'll get album news as well. We have little over 1 month until it's supposed release.

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: February 03, 2016, 03:42:02 AM
It would be disappointing if they delay the album release because of this...

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: February 03, 2016, 06:45:48 AM
It would be disappointing if they delay the album release because of this...

That would be absolutely ridiculous. If it is fnished, release it, if it's not finished ....

EDIT: Just saw the pressrelease, no album for nobody, fuck that shit.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 06:47:22 AM by Matthias »

Offline CreepyKlutz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: February 03, 2016, 07:37:03 AM
I FUCKING KNEW IT.

I quit. I fucking quit. Good god this is lame as hell. What a absolute waste of hype and resources.

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: February 03, 2016, 08:37:40 AM
It can't be helped. At the time of Pata's injury there was still a month and a half worth of recording time left for the album. That obviously affected his parts on the album. The concert can't be done bc of the album and a missing member.

It's not a waste of hype or resources it's just severely unfortunate circumstances...

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: February 03, 2016, 08:42:52 AM
It can't be helped. At the time of Pata's injury there was still a month and a half worth of recording time left for the album. That obviously affected his parts on the album.

That's just speculation. We don't know if Pata has any more parts to record for the album, or if he is already finsihed recording his parts.

Offline CreepyKlutz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: February 03, 2016, 08:48:44 AM
It can't be helped. At the time of Pata's injury there was still a month and a half worth of recording time left for the album. That obviously affected his parts on the album. The concert can't be done bc of the album and a missing member.

It's not a waste of hype or resources it's just severely unfortunate circumstances...

I'm just irritated because it seemed like things were going well for this band for once. I would argue it's a waste of hype considering this album was supposed to be "99% done" six years ago. At this point I don't care about a tour-I just want a blood album out.

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: February 03, 2016, 09:05:23 AM
It can't be helped. At the time of Pata's injury there was still a month and a half worth of recording time left for the album. That obviously affected his parts on the album.

That's just speculation. We don't know if Pata has any more parts to record for the album, or if he is already finsihed recording his parts.

It's not speculation as much as a conclusion based on the information we've been given. Pata gets injured mid-Jan --> album can't be released --> guitar parts were not done.

To say anything else would be wandering into conspiracy theories; which although sometimes entertaining, tend to create a lot of misinformation and contentious misunderstandings, I.e.. rumors.

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: February 03, 2016, 09:15:28 AM
I'm not buying it. I can't believe they would have still been working on the record in mid january (except Yoshiki). There were years and years of time to record the remaining music. So if the release is now really delayed because of them not being finished by now ...
I tend more to believe that it got postponed because right now they are not able to tour and promote the record the way they want it to be promoted ... (if it ain't finished yet, I'm not blaming Pata for it).

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: February 03, 2016, 09:29:14 AM
I tend more to believe that it got postponed because right now they are not able to tour and promote the record the way they want it to be promoted ... (if it ain't finished yet, I'm not blaming Pata for it).

I don't understand. We Are X got great attention at Sundance, this is the first major press they've had as a band internationally in a while. This would be a golden time to promote.

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: February 03, 2016, 09:36:51 AM

I don't understand. We Are X got great attention at Sundance, this is the first major press they've had as a band internationally in a while. This would be a golden time to promote.

Hard for me to tell, how much the casual music fan cares for the movie at the Sundance film festival. Maybe Yoshiki was thinking the album release also 'deserves' a big live event, no idea. And of course, maybe you are right and the album is still missing Pata's guitar parts, that's also possible.
Bottom line is, the album won't be released any time soon and that is a shame.

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: February 03, 2016, 10:45:13 AM
I don't really know what to say other than I'm so glad I saw them in 2010 because so far that's been the last likely time I'll get to see them. Pata's condition aside, something doesn't align....there's no way you'd be waiting on guitar parts with almost 1 month to go....the rate Yoshiki releases content? No way. The wording is confusing but it sounds as though the album may release before the London show as they're reworking a new date.

Why does it have to be literally a YEAR postponement? The only fair excuse I can think of is that Wembley Arena simply had no availability until then? This really is dreadful for the fans....This seriously is a nail in the coffin. ALL that hype, ALL of that hope we had finally about to be realized and now it's gone. I'm losing excitement about this album with every passing month. It's going to require such an epic track list that I'm not sure the Yoshiki we have now can deliver...fuck. Glad I never bought travel for this.

ALSO....editing my post because I just remembered this now....doesn't this interfere with Yoshiki's own medical plans ahead? He made some tweet a while ago about like Album release -> World Doc -> Concert -> Surgery. Basically he is or was scheduled to have that wrist surgery done in 2017 and he wasn't sure how it would effect his ability to perform going forward.....Honestly guys, prepare for the worst. Being an X Japan fan is depressing shit sometimes. Their health does and should come first but it's the lack of information and how late that some of this info releases is what pisses me off. So either his surgery is the the second half of 2017 which means after the Wembley show, bye bye X Japan activities until 2018 most likely....and then by then, who is around to care anymore other than weeaboos and "nurse" screaming fan girls. Maybe that's all Yoshiki needs nowadays. Wembley to me is still a "glory" show, just like MSG, it's more about "we played these legendary arenas" than actually put on a tour for the sake of touring. Thank god for 2010 North America.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:53:28 AM by Feudal »

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: February 05, 2016, 10:02:54 AM

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: February 05, 2016, 07:21:14 PM
I like it alot. We Are X is gonna screen at #SXSW next month, the exact date hasn't been announced yet, though.