• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

We Are X Doc Promo Poster Revealed!

returner · 25841

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
on: January 14, 2016, 12:28:46 PM

Very cool! Before anyone complains about the other members not being there I'll give my 2 cents:

If I've never heard of a band like most people in the states have never heard of X Japan, I will give absolutely no shits about what members I see on a movie poster promoting said band's music I've never listened to.

But this poster is simple and mysterious. No bombardment of faces that confronts me with whether or not I know them. The only figure there is shrouded in shadow. As a passerby, I can't tell who he is because his identity isn't even offered. My focus, then, shifts directly to what he does- he plays the drums. The stage itself is the focal point in this poster, the drama of the live show. And that's a great introduction to X Japan. It's just a very smart, thoughtful way to promote the documentary imo.

I also just think stylistically, the colors and the image itself is really just so cool and movie like. You can tell there's a real concept to the film.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 12:36:01 PM by returner »

We are not trying to keep the legacy—we are trying to move forward, so our sound is going to change. I’m ready to be criticized, for example by fans saying "you should rather be this style." I’m ready for it, I’m okay with any concept of criticism-Yoshiki

Offline YoshToshBGosh

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 07:09:17 PM
"Music by X Japan, composed by Yoshiki"? It would really be a shame if the movie doesn't contain hide or Taiji songs.

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 12:43:47 AM
"Music by X Japan, composed by Yoshiki"? It would really be a shame if the movie doesn't contain hide or Taiji songs.

It's impossible to tell things like that without watching the film. But this is a documentary, not a discography. The biggest, most recognizable songs will be the ones mentioned and Yoshiki happened to compose those.

hide and Taiji... I mean, there's no band without them. But do I think Desperate Angel is going to get played? No. Even as a diehard fan I don't listen to that song really. Voiceless Screaming might, but only because it chronicles how insane the recording process is for Toshi's voice, the type of demand placed on him. Shows how grueling X is as a business.

Celebration definitely has a shot to be in the movie. But Joker? I don't know. It's not one of the handful of songs people think of when you say "X Japan."

We are not trying to keep the legacy—we are trying to move forward, so our sound is going to change. I’m ready to be criticized, for example by fans saying "you should rather be this style." I’m ready for it, I’m okay with any concept of criticism-Yoshiki

Offline YoshToshBGosh

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 12:56:17 AM
The biggest time of X Japan , when they really were being a band, is that time between, idk, 1987-1992?!? In my opinion, at least. After that came Art of life, and the songs Dahlia and Tears, but not much else.

Offline Astralmind

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 12:42:03 PM
My potential concerns :

The 2 added small Xs that subtlety make it a love letter signature to fans that is most likely a Yoshiki cheesy touch indicating that he must have had a say regarding the movie's direction and hence, could be sappy and self serving as hell.

Subtitle The Death and life of X-japan, in that order certainly predicts a big focus on the 2008+ period.

Not a Japanese movie so I wouldn't expect much in terms of in depth analysis on their overall career.

In the end, a big infomercial to try and gather some attention for their upcoming album and possible tour that follows.

Obviously,  we haven't seen it yet and could be greatly surprised.. Let's hope.

A docu by Sam Dunn a la flight 666 would be amazing

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 01:57:34 PM
Oh, fuck. As I see, the movie would be more and more of "I AM YOSHIKI TEH MOTHERFUCKING LEADER OF X JAPAN and these are my underlings".

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 03:38:14 PM
Oh, fuck. As I see, the movie would be more and more of "I AM YOSHIKI TEH MOTHERFUCKING LEADER OF X JAPAN and these are my underlings".
That's what I really hope won't happen!!! >_< But yeah, somehow it seems to become more and more likely...

What's bugging me more is that
1) the "premiere at XDAY" won't be one anymore... -_-
and 2) the We are X Film Facebook page started deleting every comment that's "critical".
At first, the page admin actually replied to the fans, saying something like "the other members are IN the movie!" But suddenly those replies and every comment, that wasn't super excited, was suddenly deleted!
I'm sorry, but what the hell? o_O They weren't rude or offensive comments - censoring the fan's opinions is pretty rude, though!

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline YoshToshBGosh

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 09:36:29 PM
I was hoping for a documentary spanning their whole career, like "Foo Fighters-Back and forth" or "Tom Petty - Runnin' down a dream", but I guess it will focus very much on the reunion. Not too bad, either, just hope the filmmakers told Yoshiki that it's a movie, not an opera and made their own thing.

Offline CreepyKlutz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 11:45:03 PM
Is there a running time for the film yet? When I see how long it is, then I'll worry.

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 07:08:59 AM
92 Minutes.

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 10:59:04 AM
My potential concerns :

The 2 added small Xs that subtlety make it a love letter signature to fans that is most likely a Yoshiki cheesy touch indicating that he must have had a say regarding the movie's direction and hence, could be sappy and self serving as hell.

I totally read it as a play on words for XXX, an ode to sex, drugs, and rock&roll. I thought, "oh an American definitely made this," haha.

the We are X Film Facebook page started deleting every comment that's "critical".
At first, the page admin actually replied to the fans, saying something like "the other members are IN the movie!" But suddenly those replies and every comment, that wasn't super excited, was suddenly deleted!
I'm sorry, but what the hell? o_O They weren't rude or offensive comments - censoring the fan's opinions is pretty rude, though!

Hate to say it but a lot of X fans are assholes to the band and especially Yoshiki. The band is trying to break out overseas and getting shit on by their own fanbase is not good PR nor inviting to new fans discovering the band now. Even if they weren't rude or offensive... what good does any type of negative comment do for a band on one of its OFFICIAL promotional pages? It's not like the WeAreXfilm FB was made as a fan forum by fans, it's a DOCUMENTARY PROMOTIONAL PAGE.

Offline CreepyKlutz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 11:01:40 PM
92 Minutes.

Thank you, I couldn't find it for the life of me with this slow internet. Well, I think that's a bit short but that's just my personal whining-seems to be standard time for a documentary nowadays (hell if it was 3 hours I'd be totally ok).

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 10:18:21 AM
Hm, the cover art is not something I like very much to be honest, hopefully the whole documentary won't be to Yoshiki-centric and every member of the band (also the deceased ones) will get it's fair amount of screentime. But maybe it's too early to judge somethink like that only be seeing the cover ... but I'm sceptic.

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 10:26:50 AM
Yeah let's hope for the best regarding the actual movie. LOL
However, judging the COVER by the cover....is totally fine IMO. ;P

Also, I actually find all the creepy "<3 <3 <3 YOSHIKIIIIII YESSS WE ARE XXXXXX!!!! FOREVER!!!!!" comments way worse than a comment saying "Beautiful poster, but I'd have prefered a cover with the whole band and the fans on it to match the movie's title". Fangirly spam messages are very off-putting no matter which fandom and certainly won't help either. -_-

Offline CreepyKlutz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 06:24:38 AM

Also, I actually find all the creepy "<3 <3 <3 YOSHIKIIIIII YESSS WE ARE XXXXXX!!!! FOREVER!!!!!" comments way worse than a comment saying "Beautiful poster, but I'd have prefered a cover with the whole band and the fans on it to match the movie's title". Fangirly spam messages are very off-putting no matter which fandom and certainly won't help either. -_-

Yeah those kinds of comments are legitimately terrifying.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 04:14:30 PM
Yeah let's hope for the best regarding the actual movie. LOL
However, judging the COVER by the cover....is totally fine IMO. ;P

Finally someone who understands how I think.

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 07:18:36 AM

And where did you see those exactly? Because if you're talking about the facebook page, there are none. This forum tries so hard to hate, seriously.

See, not a single fangirly " YOSHIKIIIIII YESSS WE ARE XXXXXX!!!! FOREVER!!!!!" comment... anywhere... You're choosing to see what you want and for some weird reason twist it around to the Yoshiki fandom. I'm starting to think the "We are X!" and "Love it!" comments just too optimistic for some people  ::)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 07:21:16 AM by returner »

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 08:05:41 AM
What the hell. That was a general comment - amd obviously slightly exaggerated - but go an twitter and you will see what I mean. And seriously, I am the last person spreading hate - I've been running a fanpage for Years and never gave up hope on X or Yoshiki but actually defended them quiet a bunch of times! sorry but not finding anything absolutely awesome doesnt equal to twisting stuff around lol! the only thing I have to add to this is that being too involved and knowing too much doesn't help with keeping a positive image of them, but I'm still here and hopeing for the best. -_-

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 10:24:02 AM
Sorry, I thought you were referring specifically to the Facebook page. Since there aren't any fangirly comments there, it seemed like a weird thing to point out.

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 06:05:28 PM
Found an article that gives a more in-depth description of the film:

Kijak gets to the emotional core of the band’s key members, eschewing fluff for a deeper consideration of the impact music has had on their lives – and, in return, on those of their legion of fans. While chronicling X Japan’s present-day tour success, the film gradually and effortlessly turns the clock back to reveal the group’s surprising and often tragic history – smartly opening up the story for viewers who may never before have heard of the flamboyant musicians.

http://whatnottodoc.com/2016/01/08/2016-sundance-docs-in-focus-we-are-x/

Offline YoshToshBGosh

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 09:50:00 PM

This forum tries so hard to hate, seriously.

I feel many people on this forum have a pretty balanced view on what X is doing nowadays. I really like that talk isn't too serious and ultra-excited here. I was on XWonderland Forum, that was the opposite.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 03:09:33 AM
See, not a single fangirly " YOSHIKIIIIII YESSS WE ARE XXXXXX!!!! FOREVER!!!!!" comment... anywhere... You're choosing to see what you want and for some weird reason twist it around to the Yoshiki fandom. I'm starting to think the "We are X!" and "Love it!" comments just too optimistic for some people  ::)

I remember seeing one comment on this page asking "Will it be 'We are X' or 'I am Yoshiki'?" (No, it wasn't me but I really liked the question). This comment is now deleted.

You probably are not following Yoshiki and X JAPAN on Twitter/Instagram/Facebook, where those comments are majority and he encourages the drama posting pictures of 'oh, I'm very ill', 'oh, what X will be without me?', 'oh, I need nurses'.
We are not trying to hate. Speaking by myself, I'm actually trying NOT to hate seeing Yoshiki with his huge ego trying to make the band to be himself, which is also hide's widow. The whole X name and history being Yoshikicentric. Until the last tour starts, even the official BAND site was pointing to Yoshiki's twitter.

My complaints are the same for years and I see very little improvement. Maybe the people you say that are "trying to hate" are people who are just disappointed with the way their favourite band is going.

Offline Selaiah

• Too-shy-to-post
  • Rookie
  • Because the alternative is unthinkable....
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 05:24:02 AM

I feel many people on this forum have a pretty balanced view on what X is doing nowadays. I really like that talk isn't too serious and ultra-excited here. I was on XWonderland Forum, that was the opposite.

I second that!
i would say that most people here love X more than any of the #vampirebossamaissoawesome fangirls who are bothering each other and the world with their hashtags, just to gather points to win prizes, which is really annoying. But it is also allowed to make some critical comments, even when you love and support X. We don't have to like everything they (or Yoshiki) are doing, just because we are fans.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 05:37:01 AM by Selaiah »

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 09:13:46 AM
I overreacted, for that I'm sorry. I just don't understand why this topic is brought up so much, I guess. Yoshiki's the leader and unarguably puts in the most work, so he'll get the most credit for the band. If hide were still alive, yes, the attention would be way more equally shared. But it's so unfair to expect a band that's trying to move forward with an active career and not just a throwback reunion tour to give any majority of attention to a deceased member. I remember a few years after X reunited, fans were actually complaining about hide being brought into the concerts past the first 3 reunion shows. Now it's become a monster battle about who's getting proper attention between him and Taiji. X Japan may be hide's widow but Yoshiki and Toshi went to Tokyo with X already in their lives, to make it grow... it's... like I can't say it enough, that there is no X without hide or Taiji or Pata or Heath or now Sugizo, but Yoshiki and Toshi STARTED the band. I have no doubt that hide and Taiji will be honored but the living members deserve the majority of the attention going forward. That's all there is to it.

Also, if Pata was the co-founder of the band and the one writing all the songs and handing out instrument parts to the other members, writing lyrics for Toshi and telling him how to sing the tunes, don't you think he'd be the one with the limelight? Yoshiki's ALWAYS had the creative priority in the band (even back in the day, he would hand out music scores that they couldn't read so he'd have to perform and record their parts and let them learn by ear- this isn't a new dynamic) and the most fame. Before, it was filtered out with mystery from the lack of information and with hide being a bigger face to the fans, but now Yoshiki's stepped in and taken his role for that, he's said so himself.

If the other members were really so perturbed like some fans are, too, they could always learn english and have their managements make some western sm accounts. Hell, they don't even need to know english for that, they just need some intern who speaks it. Toshi speaks english, but does he bother reaching out to us? No, even though he has an instagram and facebook. In fact his facebook is PRIVATE. You have to add him to see anything he's up to! What kind of celebrity does that unless he has no interest in making following him easy? These guys are now entering their 50s and all have private labels. If they wanted to negotiate some attention and publicity away from Yoshiki they easily would, because Yoshiki needs them in the band. It's not like anyone's getting one pulled over, that's why I just don't understand the Yoshiki hate. It's obvious everyone chooses their roles.

The ""Will it be 'We are X' or 'I am Yoshiki'?"" comment? Way out of line. It's the other members' responsibility to do something to have a bigger presence during this "global X Japan" if they want it. They hold a shit ton of cards and they're the ones with more time on their hands. But seldom fans consider that whenever this topic is brought up.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 09:24:16 AM by returner »

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 10:43:25 AM
Maybe the rest of the bandmembers ain't as attention seeking as Yoshiki and want their private life being .. well .. private, that's why they aren't as active on social media as him, or maybe they tried in the past to get more interviews and were shut down, who knows.
But them not being as active in TV-Shows, Radio, etc. as Yoshiki is not the issue I have with the situation.

What I'm afraid of is, that the documentary will be (for a large part) focused on Yoshiki and his hard work (which he undoubtly put into it) of reuniting X Japan, his medical problems and so on. Puting him as the only bandmember in the center of the poster, simply reinforces the doubts I have. :( Really hope I'm wrong and the film will be about their whole career and that each step (X years, Taiji leaving, Heath joining, Last Live, hide's death, years in between, reunion, ...) gets the amount of time it deserves.

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 11:41:49 AM
I just came across this interview with Stephen Kijak:
http://www.parkrecord.com/ci_29405325/metal-documentary-was-mind-bending-journey-stephen-kijak

Quote from: Kijak
"It's about X Japan, but a portrait of Yoshiki, which is something he doesn't allow the world to see very often," Kijak said. "I will say the biggest challenge was editorial. You have an enormous story with many characters, albums, drama, and you also have a portrait of one man and his life's work. The challenge was to balance those two things and create something that has integrity and authenticity."

Offline Crimson

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 12:02:05 PM
What surprises me most is that we are actually surprised. It was always all about Yoshiki, so why would this be any different? Not sure it bothers me that much, it's what I expected. But I'm sort of relieved to see that at least some people here seem to share my not always completely rosetinted view of it all, a nice alternative to the over the top love parade  8)

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #27 on: January 20, 2016, 12:34:19 PM
LOL Yeah, I'm also surprised that we're surprised. I suppose we hope(ed) for something capturing ALL of X which, well, isn't just about Yoshiki. :/
(I really didn't care about Yoshiki at all at the beginning. He wasn that weird girly guy and that was it LOL.)

Since the documentary seemed to be done "independently" and not by X/Yoshiki staff, I though that we might be lucky enough to get something different from all the promo videos we've been seeing lately. Well, but we didn't watch the documentary yet, maybe it won't be as bad as we are afraid it might be. ;D

Offline Crimson

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: January 20, 2016, 12:55:09 PM
I just have a hard time imagining Yoshiki just allowing someone else in charge of anything whatsoever. It may have been the original intention, but that must have been before anyone met the man  ;D   ...or that's what I'm reading between the lines in the "the challenge was to balance those two things...." quote (among others) :P I'm still optimistic though, at least there must be some interesting footage we've never seen and such  8)

Offline kuro.yoru

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: January 20, 2016, 10:39:52 PM
"I had abandoned metal when I was 13 or 14 when I went new wave."
But the new wave connections helped him relate to the band, especially lead singer Toshi (Deyama) guitarist Sugizo (Sugihara Yuu), and THE FILM'S MAIN SUBJECT, drummer Yoshiki (Hayashi).

ugh I expected sth about X since their indie days till now...n wished I would learn more about heath and pata...however I think they don't like it...but even if it's more about Yoshiki,it'll be still interesting,I'm so excited...

I second that!
i would say that most people here love X more than any of the #vampirebossamaissoawesome fangirls who are bothering each other and the world with their hashtags, just to gather points to win prizes, which is really annoying. But it is also allowed to make some critical comments, even when you love and support X. We don't have to like everything they (or Yoshiki) are doing, just because we are fans.

oh many of them don't do it JUST TO GATHER POINTS TO WIN PRIZES!sharing news and stuff is good for the band too,just because some fangirls love Yoshiki doesn't mean they're bad for the fandom,there are different people w/ different tastes and ways of supporting,I think it's ok as long as they support X JAPAN,what's wrong with fangirling?!!and I'm sure Yoshiki is not that stupid to think that all of X JAPAN fandom think like those fans,but it won't change anything cuz that man will keep doing what he wants to do lol

And where did you see those exactly? Because if you're talking about the facebook page, there are none. This forum tries so hard to hate, seriously.

lol my cm