• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

X Japan's "Brand"

returner · 2141

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
on: April 16, 2015, 09:48:44 AM
So we all know that X Japan paved a genre through their look and music, but what about the little things that are directly identified as X Japan-isms? I watched Yoshiki's appearance at the 2015 New Economy Summit where he had a conversation with former ambassador of Japan, John Roos, and the topic of branding was brought up. Since then, I've been thinking about X Japan's image and how truly successfully they've branded themselves as a stand-out band, not only through their music and crazy appearances, but through their signature moves you see in their lives.

For reference, a definition of branding is
Definition: The marketing practice of creating a name, symbol or design that identifies and differentiates a product from other products .

X Japan has the "X" Jump, the "X" hand symbol, the "WE ARE!" shout out, roses that have become a symbol of Yoshiki which are thrown into the audience, the fire extinguisher during Orgasm and even the water that Yoshiki places on his drum set that explodes all over the place during his solos and other moments. Those last two things aren't as defining to the band overall as they are to a song specifically but they're prominent parts of the show.

I just think it's very cool that they have these unique things that identify them solely. It's really branded them into performance rock musicians instead of simply musicians, despite being so acclaimed for their music as well.

What are your guys' thoughts? Am I leaving any of their 'moves' or 'signatures' out?

We are not trying to keep the legacy—we are trying to move forward, so our sound is going to change. I’m ready to be criticized, for example by fans saying "you should rather be this style." I’m ready for it, I’m okay with any concept of criticism-Yoshiki

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 10:16:21 PM
I have to agree with you completely. I have loved X Japan's music for a long time and have also equally admired them for the fact that they have got their name, music and image to such a point that whatever they release, (this may sound like the beginnings of a rant about how their music / products are over priced and that they have been dishing out re releases for years, but it is not), always sells very well.

Although it has a lot to do with Yoshiki as an artist, I think what Yoshiki has done with X's tracks through Eternal Melody I & II is amazing. Here he has produced music that has an appeal to both rock and heavy metal fans and turned it into something that catches the eye of classical music fans around the world. With the release of the classical versions of X Japan's music, Yoshiki bought the X Japan name to a new market, to a new audience.

And you only have to look at the limited edition releases in the 90's as well as the box sets in the 00's onwards to see that they have always taken advantage of demand. I have always found it interesting to look at what music they currently have in print available. For example, Vanishing Vision has been out of print for a long time, I believe the last re release was in 2000? I feel this has made a demand for this product so if they do ever release a remastered version of their debut album, it would sell very well. (Yes I am aware that it is available on iTunes...) Similarly Dahlia is not easy to get a new copy of. I don't believe it is available digitally anywhere, (legally...), and there hasn't been an individual physical release in print for a very long time. I found it interesting that you could actually buy a copy of Dahlia through way of paying a large sum of money for the Complete II set (which I also believe at last check was being shown out of print on several online retailers...).

I do believe that when X Japan release their new album, they will take advantage of the fact they have such a dedicated fan base, (this isn't a bad thing), and release several version, allowing to capture more completely the markets willingness to pay, (a group of fans will only be willing or able to buy the regular release but there will be those that will be willing to pay substantially more for a special version...the box sets vs. their individual DVDS are an example of this).

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 04:23:35 AM
I have to agree with you completely. I have loved X Japan's music for a long time and have also equally admired them for the fact that they have got their name, music and image to such a point that whatever they release, (this may sound like the beginnings of a rant about how their music / products are over priced and that they have been dishing out re releases for years, but it is not), always sells very well.

Very good point. With the way their fandom keeps growing I'm not surprised as to why they do it now, honestly. To those who have been in the fandom for years or decades they think, another re-release? But to people who are freshly introduced to the band they have newly mastered material to get into. X's music has lasted very well through all these years so it makes sense to renew and re-present them as time goes on.

Although it has a lot to do with Yoshiki as an artist, I think what Yoshiki has done with X's tracks through Eternal Melody I & II is amazing. Here he has produced music that has an appeal to both rock and heavy metal fans and turned it into something that catches the eye of classical music fans around the world. With the release of the classical versions of X Japan's music, Yoshiki bought the X Japan name to a new market, to a new audience.

Fun fact, it was actually the record label that wanted Yoshiki to release the classical album, to show the multiple sides of him. It wasn't his idea and I'm not sure he would have ventured out to pursue that path at that time, but it definitely paid off because like you said, it introduced X's sound to an entirely different genre and audience. Plus, now he's a touring classical artist  ;)

I do believe that when X Japan release their new album, they will take advantage of the fact they have such a dedicated fan base, (this isn't a bad thing), and release several version, allowing to capture more completely the markets willingness to pay, (a group of fans will only be willing or able to buy the regular release but there will be those that will be willing to pay substantially more for a special version...the box sets vs. their individual DVDS are an example of this).

You think they'll release more than one version of the album? In what way? Like they'll add the world tour DVD to one and have just the cd for the other?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 04:27:47 AM by returner »

We are not trying to keep the legacy—we are trying to move forward, so our sound is going to change. I’m ready to be criticized, for example by fans saying "you should rather be this style." I’m ready for it, I’m okay with any concept of criticism-Yoshiki

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 03:05:40 AM
Fun fact, it was actually the record label that wanted Yoshiki to release the classical album, to show the multiple sides of him. It wasn't his idea and I'm not sure he would have ventured out to pursue that path at that time, but it definitely paid off because like you said, it introduced X's sound to an entirely different genre and audience. Plus, now he's a touring classical artist  ;)

I did not know that!? Thanks for the information, smart business move from the label then, and yes it did pay off!

You think they'll release more than one version of the album? In what way? Like they'll add the world tour DVD to one and have just the cd for the other?

Hmmm, so I reckon there will be the normal edition, that just includes the main tracks from the album, and then a limited edition that will include perhaps some live tracks on a second CD, or maybe even a DVD with a collection of PVs? There might even be a third version that is like the limited edition but with special packaging and something extra...stuff like that?