X Freaks Forum

News:

• Welcome to the X FREAKS forum!
    Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Yoshiki's health problems (2015 Edition)

AsukaMiyu · 16301

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: June 04, 2015, 02:03:15 AM
He didn't play from 2011 to 2014. Why didn't he do this surgery during this whole time?

He likes drama. He likes all "nurses" fangirls moaning for him and sending cute messages on Twitter.

You, sir. I like you. You get it. Here, have a box of X Japan curry.

I'm actually hoping his hand has to be chopped off so X Japan can finally get an actual good drummer/pianist :D

I hate Yoshiki's messing around as much as the rest of us but damn, that's harsh man. I'd never listen to X Japan again if Yoshiki wasn't with them. He's still an incredible drummer and pianist.

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #31 on: June 04, 2015, 08:10:29 AM
I can only second what Feudal said...
Even if Yoshiki can be damn annoying, saying stuff like that isn't even funny.

In general, all that "X would be better off without Yoshiki" is just bullshit. There's no X without Yoshiki. Ever. Get over it, guys! -_-

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline devilsrondo

• Rookie
  • L'Union fait la Heavy Metal Force
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Reply #32 on: June 07, 2015, 11:28:40 AM
I'm serious, X without Yoshiki would KICK ASS :D They would finally be an awesome rock band actually doing stuff, instead of this weird hello kitty + classical music bullshit they're spitting out lately. And everyone knows that in the old days, hide and Taiji were responsible for X's awesomeness. If only those guys were still around...

And Yoshiki really is just an average drummer, he's not amazing at all. He reminds me a lot of Lars Ulrich; very famous but mediocre drummers.

Offline YoshToshBGosh

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: June 07, 2015, 11:39:42 AM
I'm serious, X without Yoshiki would KICK ASS :D They would finally be an awesome rock band actually doing stuff, instead of this weird hello kitty + classical music bullshit they're spitting out lately. And everyone knows that in the old days, hide and Taiji were responsible for X's awesomeness. If only those guys were still around...

And Yoshiki really is just an average drummer, he's not amazing at all. He reminds me a lot of Lars Ulrich; very famous but mediocre drummers.
I agree that X was at its best with hide, Taiji AND Yoshiki in it. Don't forget Yoshiki wrote the majority of songs. And being a musician isn't about being the best on your instrument, and the quality of bands and their songs can't be measured by the astonishing things they can do with their instruments.
But, yeah: Fxxx Yoshikitty and the vampire crap  ;D

Offline Selaiah

• Too-shy-to-post
  • Rookie
  • Because the alternative is unthinkable....
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: June 08, 2015, 06:14:16 AM
I don't want to miss any of the members, back then and now. Nobody can bring hide and Taiji back!
And I think there is no X without Yoshiki..... though he's annoying as hell from time to time..... or more often! ;p

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #35 on: June 08, 2015, 09:07:42 AM
Ehh. . . I'm gonna admit that I can't imagine X or a X Japan without Yoshiki because he's been with them since the very beginning (and this is coming from someone who isn't a huge fan of Yoshiki to begin with). I don't know, it wouldn't feel right to me.

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: June 08, 2015, 06:39:13 PM

I'll tell you straight up that X Japan would not exist without Yoshiki. Do you really think the others would continue without him? You're living in a fantasy. Toshi will basically do whatever Yoshiki asks of him because they rekindled their friendship and Yoshiki helped get him out of a horrible financial situation. Toshi is once again at Yoshiki's beck and call. Pata and Heath are classically passive and are basically just performing because it's "expected" and it would be disappointing if they didn't. Sure, they probably enjoy the band but I feel like they are just along for the ride right now. And Sugizo...he's kind of their honourary member/stand in for hide. He's got so much involvement between other bands, especially Luna Sea that he doesn't need X Japan to keep busy and relevant. For me, Sugizo's time with X Japan is both an honourary thing and a sign of friendship. Yoshiki in my opinion is the REAL driving force of X Japan and is likely almost solely responsible for their progress so far post-reunion.

I didn't even want to comment on you calling Yoshiki an average drummer. You're a good troll. Yoshiki has incredible stamina and consistency and their songs demand a certain physique that many other drummers wouldn't be able to keep up with. He really hits the kit with force and isn't just lightly tapping a beat like you see in many indie rock bands these days.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:42:49 PM by Feudal »

Offline Astralmind

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: June 09, 2015, 01:16:18 AM
I didn't even want to comment on you calling Yoshiki an average drummer. You're a good troll. Yoshiki has incredible stamina and consistency and their songs demand a certain physique that many other drummers wouldn't be able to keep up with. He really hits the kit with force and isn't just lightly tapping a beat like you see in many indie rock bands these days.

To be fair, Yoshiki was an excellent drummer in that music category - fast, tons of stamina and technically impressive.

Obviously, he is not what he used to be and that's fair understanding his age and health issue. Unfortunately, he feels like he needs to add drama to it by throwing himself all around and posting dramatic tweets as if he was on the brink of death.... that kills a lot of empathy we could have towards him.

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #38 on: June 09, 2015, 05:35:44 AM
...But hasn't he added tons of drama to everything he did ever since? >.<;;;

Anyway, I think it kind of fits the topic here. There was an interview with Chris Camacho, Yoshiki's personal trainer during the Jealousy/Art of Life Era and there's lot of talk about his drumming style and resulting health issues.

https://soundcloud.com/x-japan-podcast/episode-4-chris-camacho

(The Chris Camacho part is starting from 8:10)

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: June 09, 2015, 10:51:52 AM
Tell me a time when Yoshiki has NOT been dramatic. I dislike the whole "Nurse, Yoshikitty, Classical Tour/Solo show" stuff too but I'm not trying to pretend he's much different than he used to be. It's just we didn't have Twitter back in the 90's so he lacked the outlet to connect with his fans in that way.

Offline devilsrondo

• Rookie
  • L'Union fait la Heavy Metal Force
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Reply #40 on: June 09, 2015, 07:44:49 PM
He might be fast and have a high stamina, he drums with a wrong technique, which indeed results in tons of injuries and MOAR DRAMA. Technique is very important in drumming, not just "being fast" and "being able to hit the snare for 30 minutes straight and then pretending to faint"

I agree the rest of X is quite passive and indeed, Yoshiki has most of the say in the music, which totally explains why everything sucks since first Taiji and then hide left :| Yoshiki did do some nice composing in the old days (Art of Life, Rose of Pain, everything on Vanishing Vision), but the 'style' he does these days is absolutely not my cup of tea. Yoshiki is more of a classical musician than a rocker to me, and I like rock music. Whereas Taiji (and Toshi and Pata for that matter) are true rockers. (hide was a different case... He was batshit crazy, which I can appreciate as well!)

Taste differs, of course! But to me, X Japan is far from a rock band these days :D

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #41 on: June 09, 2015, 07:53:56 PM
Yeah tastes differ... XD
I don't mind their "current" style, since I listend to not-quite-rock-but-rather-poprock as well. And I don't like genres. :P
However, if you look at Dahlia, I don't think that the post-reunion songs are so different. It's just the way that Yoshiki's style naturally evolved to. People will always complain anyway, either about songs sounding different or about them sounding the same as ever since. (Look at KISS, for example. While I really enjoy listening to their stuff, the new songs pretty much sound like the old ones... Is that a better option?)

Offline Astralmind

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: June 10, 2015, 02:48:47 AM
It's true that the new stuff isn't extremely different from the Dahlia era but it still lacks in nuance and variation. While Dahlia itself and Rusty nail had a very pop-ish undertone, they still had quite a deep layering - different style (and much less my cup of tea too...) but still quality songs.

Jade is catchy as hell with interesting vocals but the drum, the guitar, the bass are repetitive, bland, poor... and the other new songs I really don't like.

I'd kill for a proper remaster best of their Indies days haha... that will never happen but wouldn't that be awesome ?  As for the rest, I prefer Blueblood, followed by Vanishing Vision closely and then 'the rest'.

As for bands that stood the test of time (very subjective) but I do find that Black Sabbath pulled off a pretty fuckin good album with 13 considering they are closing in their geriatric years, keeping their signature sound yet creating something new. Iron Maiden also have their distinctive sound but for the most part, they manage to bring something new to the table and at least decent. I don't have many more examples though hehe.

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: June 10, 2015, 03:54:57 AM
It's true that the new stuff isn't extremely different from the Dahlia era but it still lacks in nuance and variation. While Dahlia itself and Rusty nail had a very pop-ish undertone, they still had quite a deep layering - different style (and much less my cup of tea too...) but still quality songs.

Jade is catchy as hell with interesting vocals but the drum, the guitar, the bass are repetitive, bland, poor... and the other new songs I really don't like.

Really interesting to see how peoples' pov's differ. I was just listening to Jade on the way to work today and I have to say it's one of their most dynamic songs imo, full of layering and building. It just progresses higher and higher; there's a fullness to it, a total crescendo. I think it embodies X Japan perfectly. I think you might be able to tell that it's actually one of my favorite songs out of their entire discography. Lyrically and musically, it's hard to beat Jade for me.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 04:12:51 AM by returner »

We are not trying to keep the legacy—we are trying to move forward, so our sound is going to change. I’m ready to be criticized, for example by fans saying "you should rather be this style." I’m ready for it, I’m okay with any concept of criticism-Yoshiki

Offline YoshToshBGosh

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: June 10, 2015, 01:42:55 PM
I can't think of many bands who kept being musically relevant throughout their career (or even for more than three, four albums), so I don't expect much from X. A good live show with more than ten songs in three hours would be enough for me  ;)
 As for the new stuff: Jade is not too bad (though I think the guitars are). But Yoshiki liked the verse so much that he used it for IV and Born to be free, too (some time ago, I read somewhere that Yoshiki recorded like ten songs before he chose IV as the one for the Saw movie; since then, I suspect that Jade and BTBF are two of the leftovers).

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: July 12, 2015, 07:23:35 PM
Holy shit... Devilsrondo... wut?!

Its known I have criticized the band and Yoshiki in particular (My what the fuck thread from a few years ago...), but to say you'd want X without Yoshiki, that they aren't a rock band, that he isn't a good drummer, and that they haven't done anything good since Taiji left? Wtf?!

Art of Life
Dahlia
Tears
Rusty Nail
Forever Love
Scars

You might not like that material, but you can't say its bad or that some of those aren't rock songs. A lot of people, myself included, also like the post-reunion material. The delays and drama are obnoxious, but hopefully things are back on track.

Teemeah

Reply #46 on: May 04, 2017, 09:33:38 AM
So hide and Taiji were the cool things in X. Ok. Never mind 90% of the songs were Yoshiki's... What would Taiji and hide be roking to if Yoshiki didn't write those songs? It would have been hide solo and Taiji solo. X is non-existent without Yoshiki, whether you like it or not...