• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

X Japan on Blu-ray announced!

Drsrh · 8830

Offline Drsrh

• Rookie
    • View Profile
on: September 06, 2013, 06:00:48 AM
They're releasing them individually and in a big box set. Here's the description of the box set from here: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=WPXL-90036

"X JAPAN's previously released live DVDs become Blu-ray for the first time! This box set features the following titles: X JAPAN RETURNS Kanzen Ban 1993.12.30," "X JAPAN RETURNS Kanzen Ban 1993.12.31," "X JAPAN Aoi Yoru Kanzen Ban," "X JAPAN Shiroi Yoru Kanzen Ban," "X JAPAN Dahlia Tour Final Kanzen Ban," and "X JAPAN The Last Live Kanzen Ban." Special box packaging."

The pricing is 6000 yen for each show, and 40000 yen for the box set. So, it's basically Complete II, but on Blu-ray and without the CDs. It's also coming out almost immediately on 9/25/13...

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 08:06:44 PM
Hmmm, while I think it's about time we get some Blu Ray releases from X Japan, not really interested in these. For those of you who don't already have copies, it's a no brainer to get them on Blu Ray and I'm sure the box set will be really nice, even if over priced.

The only one I would consider getting is The Last Live. The only copy I have is from the Complete II set and so it is cut. would be nice to see the full concert in HD glory :)

As a side note, I'm sure I read something about these concerts mot being able to be released on HD formats because of the typr of camera that was used to film them?

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 06:33:16 PM
I would love to see a trailer or free clips of it to know what sort of quality we will get before spending that kind of money. Typical that they made a big deal about selling those DVD box sets a few years ago for $200+ and now they're giving us the Blu ray? If it's true 1920x1080 conversion then I probably would go for it because I think having The Last Live in true HD would be absolutely unreal...let's hope it's done/re-mastered right.

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 11:51:24 PM
I agree, would be nice to get some clips. I wish, like a lot of people have said, that they would release more material other than these concerts. It's kind of ridiculous the amount of times they have repackaged these.

While there are a lot of people interested in concerts pre this era, I would quite happily buy reunion era stuff. We already know these have been filmed because they have been streamed so why not release some of that material?

Offline Hyunkel

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 03:13:44 PM
As a side note, I'm sure I read something about these concerts mot being able to be released on HD formats because of the typr of camera that was used to film them?

Exactly what I was thinking.
I, too, read somewhere that it wouldn't be possible to see these lives in HD due to the type of camera used for filming...
So, someone has precisions about it please?

I own the 4 DVD Box so there's hardly any chance of me getting these blu-ray but I'd like to see some clips; if it really good HD, who knows?

And as they seem to finally cope with the technology, they should release the reunion live and those who followed, which can be in HD/blu-ray for sure.

Oh and the "new" album too btw...

..Close your eyes and I'll kill you in the rain...

...Art of Life An Eternal Bleeding Heart...

Offline Drsrh

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 02:09:51 AM
We should find out about the quality soon considering it's release day in Japan.

Offline DrBanxon

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 07:34:44 PM
I just got the 2 I ordered, I didn't think I'd get them on the first day in the US!
I haven't watched them yet but it does say 1080i 16x9 on the box, looks promising

EDIT: Well I put one in and its definitely not 1080i 16x9 ~_~
still 4:3 and not even that great quality. I was gonna compare it to my Art of Life DVD but I can't seem to find it
All in all probably not worth the $55 it cost :l
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:38:05 PM by DrBanxon »

Offline Drsrh

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 09:00:19 PM
I just got the 2 I ordered, I didn't think I'd get them on the first day in the US!
I haven't watched them yet but it does say 1080i 16x9 on the box, looks promising

EDIT: Well I put one in and its definitely not 1080i 16x9 ~_~
still 4:3 and not even that great quality. I was gonna compare it to my Art of Life DVD but I can't seem to find it
All in all probably not worth the $55 it cost :l

Sadly that seems to be the general consensus. I think it is worth it though if you don't already have the shows considering it's now region free and that really it's kind of cheap compared to the price of the DVD's. Still a shame though. Here's hoping they get around to releasing the reunion shows.

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 10:31:24 PM
So....They have just been released on the blu ray format? No changes in aspect ratio or quality? :(

Offline DrBanxon

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 05:12:18 AM
The only advantage I see to the blu-rays is they're all on 1 disc instead of spread out over 3

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 03:12:50 PM
The only advantage I see to the blu-rays is they're all on 1 disc instead of spread out over 3

I can't help myself....and with the utmost respect, if you think that's the only advantage to blu-ray, I feel bad for you. The real advantage to blu-ray having lots of space is so that it can hold very high-definition media. Do some Google searches on aspect ratio (4:3 is standard def) (16:9 is HD), learn about resolution and when you compare say 800x600 to 1920x1080 and the difference is clear. More pixels = more definition/clarity, and all of those pixels add to the capacity of the file (in Gigabytes).

All of the previous X Japan releases have not been in HD - I often wonder if they have the potential to do a good conversion with the master recordings...it all depends on what cameras they used. If they used film, we'd be in luck but since it was mainly the 90's, they probably used the latest digital tech which means it might not convert well. Film is way better to convert to digital because it has a much higher "resolution" this is why old movies from 40+ years ago are re-released on bluray and look amazing.

Edit: on that note, I'm on the fence about buying one of the blu-rays....I would like to wait for a review or even a torrent (yes i know...the big T word..shame on me) but I feel like if I wait too long, they might be "sold out" because they think they are so special with their "First press limited edition" god Yoshiki is really starting to annoy me. I'd be DAMNED if it were true HD
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:19:10 PM by Feudal »

Offline Hyunkel

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 08:44:57 AM

I can't help myself....and with the utmost respect, if you think that's the only advantage to blu-ray, I feel bad for you.

I think he meant THESE blu-ray in particular not the blu-ray technology in general.
In that case since it seems that the quality is just the same, the only advantage is not to have the lives on several discs, that's all.

So I guess it proves that the old X Japan's lives can not be reedited in HD because of the camera or whatever. That's too bad.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 08:47:03 AM by Hyunkel »

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 09:33:06 AM
...yea...I do think DrBanxon was referring to just these blue rays.

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 02:44:21 PM

I can't help myself....and with the utmost respect, if you think that's the only advantage to blu-ray, I feel bad for you.

I think he meant THESE blu-ray in particular not the blu-ray technology in general.
In that case since it seems that the quality is just the same, the only advantage is not to have the lives on several discs, that's all.

So I guess it proves that the old X Japan's lives can not be reedited in HD because of the camera or whatever. That's too bad.

I'm not an expert but it still might be possible for them to do a good upscale conversion of the concerts. It's a shame there's virtually no info online about the team or technology that was used in some of the shows, Last Live etc.

Offline Hyunkel

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 04:53:34 PM
Again, I think someone used to explain on that forum why it wouldn't be possible to release the old X Japan lives in blu-ray, explaining all the camera thing and stuff.

Offline nage

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 05:36:44 AM
£235 holy shit. D:

May X be with you!

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 09:57:02 AM
....yup. XD X Japan DVDs are always so expensive, especially when they are box set ones!

Offline devilsrondo

• Rookie
  • L'Union fait la Heavy Metal Force
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 09:13:46 PM
£235 holy shit. D:

they are so expensive cause that's what it took for visual effects to make Yoshiki's wrinkles disappear

:D

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 05:34:41 PM
they are so expensive cause that's what it took for visual effects to make Yoshiki's wrinkles disappear

Aww! XD Hey, those are the old concerts, though, no need for wrinkle editing back then...I think.. XD

The box set looks really cool - but I already own pretty much all of those on dvd...pfff -___-
Maybe if I happen to fint it second hand while i'm in japan... :/

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline Drsrh

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 04:21:37 AM
I just ordered The Last Live, and the 12/31/1993 show off Amazon Japan. That's probably the cheapest option right now at a little less than 5,000 yen each.

Offline nage

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 05:36:45 AM
I think I'll just get it on DVD. I don't care about BluRay that much.

May X be with you!

Offline Drsrh

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 04:40:16 PM
Honestly, that's your best bet. I have three of the shows on Blu-ray and there isn't much reason for it. They don't have any of the bonus footage that the DVD's have, and there isn't a huge upgrade in quality that you'd expect transitioning to Blu-ray.

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 10:43:32 PM
Eh, really? that sucks, I would have looked forwards to higher quality :(

(Seriously, having a HD TV spoils people to much! DVDs all look blurry on it now! xP)

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...