• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Meeting hide’s Mum

rafaelo · 3619

Offline rafaelo

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
on: January 18, 2012, 03:37:21 PM
 On Sunday January 8th I had the pleasure of having afternoon tea with hide’s mum in the garden of their family home.  It was, to say the least, a somewhat surreal experience…and a most unexpected one!

A fellow X fan and myself made a visit to hide’s grave, one of my many visits over the past few years.  As usual the grave was looking so very beautiful…colourful, fun and well-maintained.

Heading back to hide’s hometown of Yokosuka and we set of to Yajima Records where I have, in the past, dropped quite a lot of yen and where hide, as a student, frequented.  We looked around there and were encouraged by the owner to go and drop in to the Matsumoto’s (as he thrust a map in my hand).  I had passed the family home on several occasions before but only to look and never to drop in.  I insisted that it would be rude and disrespectful, he insisted otherwise.  As we wanted to see the house, but were not expecting anything but a peek, we set out in that direction. 

Much to our amazement, when we arrived, there was hide’s mum in the garden.  She kindly invited us in, asked us to sign the book in the post box and sat us down on the garden seats.  Yes, there we were, with hide’s mum.  Unbelievable.

Next thing we knew she gave us a hide towel each as a gift.  She was very talkative and friendly.   We talked about all kinds of things.  She then said she’d make us tea and left us for a while as she prepared it.  I think I was in a daze by this stage.

Anyway, she took a while inside, finally coming out with a big pot of tea in a yellow teapot with red hearts over it (like his guitar).  She had a cup in the same design, we beautiful Noritake cups and saucers (I collect China so I was thrilled to be offered tea in such a beautiful cup and saucer by none other than hide’s mum!).  She told us that she preferred Lady Grey to Earl Grey.  I now have a taste for Lady Grey!

We continued chatting.  I could feel her loneliness and sadness over hide.  It is only natural, even after all this time.  Speaking with her soothed my spirit.  She answered some questions I wanted to ask about hide for a long time.  One question was about the kind of work her and hide’s father did when he was a child (they ran a kind of snack bar) and whether or not hide could speak English or not (she said he could to some degree).

While chatting she pulled out a phone strap each for us…a hide doll in his blue checked suit, with the aforementioned yellow/red heart guitar and big pink hair.  Very cute.  She had also given me a “kairo”, a heat pack to keep warm on such a cold day.

I asked if we could have a photo together but, while being very apologetic, said that she had made a promise to hide not to take photos with fans.  Although he appreciated her kindness to fans he clearly worried that it could become too much.  Of course I understood this.  I will always have the memory and that’s what counts most.

On leaving she insisted we take all the snacks she had brought out, filling our bags with all kinds of goodies.

It was an encounter that I will never forget…a chance meeting in that we were passing just at the right time.

Thank you hide and thank you hide’s mum.  This meeting helped to lift me somewhat out of a very tough time I am having.

And, thank you to my new friend who I was with that day.  You know who you are ;)

Katrina (Tanabata)

thank you my friend
trust me
 I loved it very
you realize a dream of many people
thank You Tanabata

Offline Tanabata

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:22:01 AM
Rafaelo,

Thank you so much for posting my story and photos.  I very much appreciate it.

Meeting hide's mum will always remain a very special experience for me.

Katrina

We are X!!!!!

Offline magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 09:40:24 PM
Thanks for sharing your story and the very nice photos. :-)

Offline rafaelo

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:36:13 PM
Rafaelo,

Thank you so much for posting my story and photos.  I very much appreciate it.

Meeting hide's mum will always remain a very special experience for me.

Katrina

You Welcome my friend
We are X

Offline Brandon

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 03:36:14 AM
Very cool indeed! Thank you very very much for sharing!! :)

>~X~<

Offline Tanabata

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 08:00:07 AM
I am really happy to share my wonderful experience with everyone.  Not everyday do you get to meet a rock legend's mum!

I haven't been on the forum much because of the earthquake back in March (I immediately was involved in the animal rescue efforts which consumed most of my time...these continue to today) and then, in September, I suffered my own difficult loss and so things have been pretty tough.

Meeting hide's mum cheered me up.  It was just so easy to talk to her.  hide was lucky to have a mum like her, and her to have hide.

I hope to see X this year.  Last year I got to see them three times in some capacity or another.  I hope for the same this year.

My best regards to all X fans on this forum.

We are X!!!!!

Offline autumnglitter

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 04:32:53 AM
Thanks for sharing, it must be a very special experience.   

Offline xen05z

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 02:03:42 AM
That's sooo coool.Thanks, bro! Wish I could do the same

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 12:01:14 AM
there is nothing more to say for me, thanX to Tanabata I´ve had a wonderful last day in Tokyo, where I´ve had the time of my life, it was a wonderful and somehow very special day with the visit of hide´s grave, what a beautiful place is and of course the tea party with his mum, so there´s nothing to do for me than to post some pics - I hope you enjoy it:

if anyone is interested in more details about my trip to Tokyo, plz feel free to read my blog: FrauMB far far away  :D

Humans need to believe in things that aren´t true. How else can they  become? (Terry Pratchett -Hogfather)

Offline Tanabata

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 01:51:25 PM
Elanor,

It was my great pleasure and happiness.  Thank you too for everything.

We are X!!!!!