Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Did hide compose X Japan solos?

WeAreX · 8227

Offline WeAreX

• View Profile
on: November 03, 2011, 06:36:09 PM
Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask something. I do know Yoshiki composes most of X Japan songs, but recently I've heard of something on internet. People said hide composed most of the solos even though Yoshiki composed riffs. And then I listened 1986 version of Kurenai(when their guitarist was someone named Jun) and solo was nothing like the original one. So I wondered if hide changed it after he joined(new one sounds thousand times better though :D ) Thank you for your time :)

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 06:45:23 PM
I've always wondered this too, actually. It's a shame those of us in the West have such a difficult time finding this kind of intricate information about them.

Offline Niwatorinator

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 10:49:15 PM
I actually heard from a friend many years ago that Taiji wrote the currently used solo for Kurenai. Don't know if there's any truth to it as she was a massive Taiji fangirl.

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 12:33:16 AM
But if Taiji would have wrote the solo, could they have used it after he left the band? As far as I know, they didn´t played the stuff he wrote, maybe because Yoshiki didn´t want it, or maybe it´s a question of copyright. But I´m not sure of that.

Humans need to believe in things that aren´t true. How else can they  become? (Terry Pratchett -Hogfather)

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 01:23:19 AM
Kurenai is a weird case. The "first" solo, played by Tomo and/or Eddie was one. Then Jun played different, then hide played different and changed again during Dahlia Tour. Then now with Sugizo, they got back to the "first hide version".

I think is very possible that it was composed by Taiji, as once I found (don't remember where) a 1986 recording of Kurenai, which sounded like it has only one guitar, and was pretty much like the one we know.

We know that hide was a huge influence on composing of X. I think the main solos was composed by both him and Taiji, as Yoshiki seems to be like HURR DURR HOW DO I PLAY GUITUR, as we can see in the new songs, which are 100% written by him. I.V. doesn't have a guitar solo, only a noisy part where Sugizo do some improvisation with whammy bar, and Jade and BTBF have pretty lame solos. Scarlet Love Song doesn't have either.

Offline andi3

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • KARMIA
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 06:26:20 AM
Playing a particular instrument and composing for it doesn't really correlate, so I'd think Yoshiki composed at least some of the solos if not all of them for the songs he wrote. How do you think symphonies are made? :) You don't need to master guitar to write notes for it.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 09:40:33 AM
It varies from song to song. In Art of Life for example Yoshiki composed it all, pretty much note for note. If you listen to "The end of the world" which is basically a MIDI-Mockup of Art of Life then you will hear the majority of the guitar work has been transcribed exactly as it was eventually performed on the album, and I'd say that's another pretty good indication.

Most of the X Japan ballads had solos which were either completely written by or arranged by Hide. Sometimes Yoshiki would write a theme and ask Hide to include it, but I'd say 90% of X Japan's 'dual solos' were pretty much entirely the work of Hide, but of course always under the executive direction of Yoshiki - sometimes he didn't like a particular idea and asked Hide to think of something else (E.G - Longing, the original demo of this song has a very different solo than the final version). I remember an interview with Pata saying that Hide was much better at arranging guitar parts than him, so he usually left him to it.

Later on in X Japan when the band started to move away from dual-solos Yoshiki started to give Hide much more freedom. Rusty Nail is a good example of this, he pretty much gave Hide free license.

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 10:47:28 AM
@Beauty/Broken: thanX for that infos

Humans need to believe in things that aren´t true. How else can they  become? (Terry Pratchett -Hogfather)

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 12:32:24 PM
Kurenai is a weird case. The "first" solo, played by Tomo and/or Eddie was one. Then Jun played different, then hide played different and changed again during Dahlia Tour. Then now with Sugizo, they got back to the "first hide version".

I think is very possible that it was composed by Taiji, as once I found (don't remember where) a 1986 recording of Kurenai, which sounded like it has only one guitar, and was pretty much like the one we know.

We know that hide was a huge influence on composing of X. I think the main solos was composed by both him and Taiji, as Yoshiki seems to be like HURR DURR HOW DO I PLAY GUITUR, as we can see in the new songs, which are 100% written by him. I.V. doesn't have a guitar solo, only a noisy part where Sugizo do some improvisation with whammy bar, and Jade and BTBF have pretty lame solos. Scarlet Love Song doesn't have either.

LOL your description of Yoshiki on guitar is very accurate I'd say. As talented as he is, I think guitar is just something he cannot play, and the times he does play it live, he looks extremely unnatural and confused. Just watch the X "muteki band" clip from hide memorial summit...what ever the fuck he is trying to play only god knows LOL. <3 you Yoshiki haha

Offline eda

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 07:24:36 PM
XD Yoshiki >.< it's strange that he can't sing, he always scream or speak some songs lyric

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 10:34:53 PM
XD Yoshiki >.< it's strange that he can't sing, he always scream or speak some songs lyric
in an interview he said once, that he better don´t sing, because he got a very high voice while singing, thanx Yoshiki, let do ToshI 8) als the singing

Offline Yu~Kun

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • The Reverse Trail
Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 09:24:23 AM
Basically, what Beauty/Broken said.

But as far as I remember under the guitar arrangements it was hide's name so....yeah most of them were his work. :)

PARTY HARD

Offline eda

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 12:45:35 PM
Once at this forum someone write that he/she send to Yoshiki on twitter or somewhere message if they can play song as tribute for hide, Dhalia or Drain and then they play it on world tour. So I thought maybe they can do something like that but with some old song by Taiji, officialy he wasn't X member annymore, but for me and probably for lots of fans he still is.

Offline WeAreX

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 07:38:16 PM
ThanX for informations everyone. I'm glad to know people whom I can ask these questions ^^

@Beauty/Broken I have once heard hide composed Art of Life's solos too so thanX for informing me about that. I was telling everyone that he composed the solos and now I have a lot to correct :)

Offline michel

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 07:52:29 AM
Think about how most rock music is written. Lead guitar solos are not what is laid out. I have often wondered about guitar solos and ownership for years from many bands, and tend to believe that solos are from the players heart and feeling for the song, and yet they originate from the basic music. So, I believe most good guitar players create their own solos, and they even sound different from the same guitarist at different times, hence not written when the song is developed.

Offline Faramir

• View Profile
Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 05:18:57 AM
Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, because I don't have a specific source for this, but:

It's very unlikely Yoshiki wrote any of the guitar solos from the classic X era. Someone mentioned that playing and composing are different skills, and while that's true, composing a virtuosic solo for a particular instrument requires an in-depth knowledge of that instrument. As a guitarist, I can write a killer guitar solo, but I'd be lost in writing a piano solo. Same goes for a piano/drums player and guitar. And as we all know, Yoshiki really doesn't know the guitar...

That said, I'm sure Yoshiki acted as an executive director/producer for all of Hide's work. If he didn't like what he heard, he'd send Hide back to the drawing board. I think that's the sense we get from the interviews that have referenced the topics, and also that's just how bands work together. When a Beatles song is credited to Paul/Lennon, that doesn't necessarily mean that Harrison didn't add to the guitar part. It was probably the same way with X.