David Bowie

Cruor · 31848

Offline demonbefriender

• Fan
  • I think I am a banana tree
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal
Reply #60 on: March 01, 2010, 02:36:23 PM
Oh man. I guess I'll have to wait for the rumors to be confirmed before really being worried. But if he really is, I hope it isn't as serious as some of the people are saying it is. Get well soon, Bo.

GARBAGE DAY!

shane140

Reply #61 on: March 02, 2010, 04:06:56 PM
Source:http://ca.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idCATRE6205NL20100301

David Bowie's new makeover: Rock 'n' roll recluse.

David Bowie is spending his Golden Years in anonymity.

The 63-year-old rock icon last released a new album in 2003, and stopped touring in 2004 after suffering a heart attack during a European trek. The early Internet enthusiast has not even updated his official blog since October 2006, when he proudly revealed he would voice a character on the kids cartoon show "SpongeBob SquarePants."

Last year, he attended a few red-carpet events to help promote his son Duncan Jones' movie "Moon." But otherwise the musical chameleon seems to be savouring his latest metamorphosis into married father of a 9-year-old daughter in New York.

"He's just being Dad, I think, laying low," said bass player Gail Ann Dorsey, who started working with Bowie almost 15 years ago. "I can't imagine he's not writing or doing something, but we'll just have to wait and see."

Dorsey said she e-mailed him a birthday greeting in January, but resisted the temptation to ask if he was working on any projects.

"I never pry into an artist's life, or process either," Dorsey said. "I don't write to him and go, 'What are you doing?' Or call and go, 'Why aren't you playing?' You let people be and you see where it falls."

Bowie biographer Marc Spitz is slowly losing hope that the singer will make a comeback, even as peers such as Lou Reed and Iggy Pop keep recording and touring.

"CLOSE TO THE ABYSS"

His absence is all the more striking given that Bowie had released an album or single almost every year since 1964. It would be akin to the equally prolific Woody Allen stepping back from filmmaking, Spitz said.

He also noted that people are used to celebrities such as David Letterman and Robin Williams bouncing back after heart ailments, not to mention former Vice President Dick Cheney.

But given that Bowie often performed songs about death and the mysteries of life, Spitz said he might have lost his appetite after getting "that close to the abyss."

He also interviewed people for his book, "Bowie: A Biography," who told him: "Maybe he's just done, maybe he's said his piece," Spitz recounted. "Some people don't go forever and ever and ever, like the Rolling Stones."

Bowie's managers declined to comment on his current pursuits. The singer has long dabbled in film, painting and photography. Bowie and his second wife, Somali model Iman, are the parents of 9-year-old Lexi.

His 38-year-old son Duncan, formerly known as Zowie Bowie, kept the family in the news this past year with his sci-fi movie "Moon," which recently won a British Academy Film Award.

While it's entirely possible that Bowie is occupied with parent-teacher meetings and playing the house-husband role that John Lennon assumed for the last five years of his life, he has kept his representatives busy with archival projects.

EMI last year released a CD and DVD derived from his 1999 appearance on VH1's "Storytellers," as well as a bonus-packed 40th anniversary reissue of his "Space Oddity" album.

Universal is about to reissue his self-titled 1967 debut album, also with bonus tracks, and Columbia has just issued a live CD from a 2003 tour.

The latter release, "A Reality Tour," is a double-disc set culled from a pair of shows in Dublin. A DVD version was released in 2004.

Still, Spitz is more interested in what Bowie has to say now. His last studio album, "Reality," came out in July 2003, spending just four weeks on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart.

"His real value was how he synthesized the times and ran it through his psyche and then offered it back to us," he said. "I'm not as interested in what he had to say in 1976 as what he thinks of the state of the now, because he is so sharp and his insight is so valuable."

Interesting indeed. But in an earlier interview with Gail Ann Dorsey she said David wanted to work on an album, yet here she said she doesn't know....

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #62 on: March 05, 2010, 07:16:51 PM
With all the rumours of Arcade Fire playing Lollapalooza, I think it's only appropriate to re-watch these legendary videos:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-wEBmLht5g[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkCc_qiI7UA&feature=related[/youtube]

amazing.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 07:21:35 PM by TG »

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

shane140

Reply #63 on: March 06, 2010, 12:02:47 AM
Wow, amazing indeed. I need to listen to more from them, I've only heard Wake up from that video before.

shane140

Reply #64 on: April 03, 2010, 03:08:28 PM
From yesterday:

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #65 on: April 03, 2010, 03:44:17 PM
Thanks for the photos! He seems to be doing well and having a nice break from music. Fingers crossed for a new album/tour in the near future.

EDIT:

I truly admire Dylan along with David Bowie, both of who are in their sixties,
and respect him from the bottom of my heart as well.

- sugizo :D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 06:20:02 PM by TG »

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

shane140

Reply #66 on: April 07, 2010, 10:44:42 PM
I admire Sugizo even further now!

David will talk about the making of Young Americans and Station to station, this will be aired April 19th and if it's not some sort of repeat from years ago then this will be Bowie's newest audio interview for years.

http://www.inthestudio.net/ You can preview it here.Scroll down and to the left. :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 10:52:19 PM by shane140 »

shane140

Reply #67 on: April 12, 2010, 05:19:44 PM
I found out the other day that the interview is most likely a repeat :(
And that the Gail-Ann Dorsey interview was a load of rubbish, she said she didn't say those things.(On her Facebook account)

But I've found and used Google translate on this Dutch article :http://www.humo.be/tws/deze-week/19891/humo-sprak-niet-met-david-bowie.html
This is the most interesting part: 
"Currently he is working on a new album, but he is "not in a hurry."There are  rumors that a) he is sick b)he has undergone plastic surgery and c) will play the summer festivals are officially denied.  At least two of those three can I confirm rumors that they are false."

So there you have it. I don't know how reliable this is though.

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #68 on: April 12, 2010, 05:41:28 PM
Let's make a promise that once he officially confirms any new album/tour that we come here IMMEDIATELY to break the news :D
But really, your updates are much appreciated! Thanks.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

shane140

Reply #69 on: May 31, 2010, 09:20:12 PM
http://www.lastfm.it/event/1550059+Vivienne+Westwood+Presents%3A+HAIL+IN+PEACE+MCQUEEN

Milan Fashion Week opens with McQueen tribute ‘Genius Of A Generation: Hail in Peace Alexander McQueen!’ hosted by Vivienne Westwood.

Live Performances by Björk, Grace Jones, Lady Gaga, DAVID BOWIE, Iggy Pop, Siouxsie Sioux etc

:D:D

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #70 on: May 31, 2010, 09:55:46 PM
Bowie, Iggy, Siouxsie, Bjork, Grace Jones - all great. Gaga, not so :P

Is it 100% confirmed that Bowie will make an appearance? I hope this event is legit.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

shane140

Reply #71 on: May 31, 2010, 10:01:18 PM
Unfortunately no, just saw it before on the Bowienet forum, so it won't be long until they comfirm/deny it. I'm keeping my hopes up, I think it's legit, most apart from the obvious are touring in europe and Gail-Anne Dorsey is in France at the moment, just a short trip to Italy aha.
I'm sure Bowie wouldn't say no to this, mcqueen was his fashion designer and friend for many years.

I'm keeping my hopes up.

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #72 on: June 01, 2010, 04:47:26 PM
Oh! the event got removed :(

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

shane140

Reply #73 on: June 01, 2010, 07:36:24 PM
Damn it. :(

shane140

Reply #74 on: June 08, 2010, 05:38:37 PM
Bit of news
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/17386/110857 

Bowie announced that he's not thinking of touring in the near future in a small "interview." And the article just explains what he's been up to since the heart attack and such. But it does mention Iman saying he's working on something :)

And these are from CDFA fashion awards yesterday.

He's looking amazingly healthy, and I really do believe there will be a new album out by the end of the year or at the latest, start of next. He could do a few live shows to promote it, not a full tour mind.I just have a feeling.

Oh also, Uncut magazine have Bowie on the cover and has a 12 page feature on station to station, it's a great read, can't scan it unfortunately. It's to promote the enhanced re-release of station to station coming out soon.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:18:24 PM by shane140 »

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #75 on: June 09, 2010, 01:46:45 PM
Oh..I hope he does some one off concerts around the UK and Station to Station is such a legendary album.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

shane140

Reply #76 on: August 09, 2010, 05:31:30 PM
This has been leaked from someone at Lady Gaga's record label.Looks like the inevitable duet is happening.

It could be fake, but looks genuine, so you never know.

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #77 on: August 09, 2010, 05:49:25 PM
It is well known that Lady Gaga is a big fan of Bowie's and this collaboration (if legit) is pretty much expected.

Maybe he is gearing up for a comeback in 2011, fingers crossed.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

shane140

Reply #78 on: September 27, 2010, 05:00:46 PM
Bowienet comfirmed that was fake indeed,but that was almost a given.
Finally some great news! Bowie has been working on a (what seems like a)fascinating book. While it may not be new music, at least he's done something (creative) :D
edit:little more info
Then there’s Bowie: Object by David Bowie (no U.S. pub, delivery Dec. 2010), which the agency says is the first in a series of books by the pop icon in which he explores his creative process by featuring 100 things from his “archive.” Each item will be “accompanied by a witty, personal text.”

http://www.davidbowie.com/news/index.php?id=20100926
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 05:22:48 PM by shane140 »

Offline butv260620

• View Profile
    • Meizitang
Reply #79 on: July 01, 2011, 08:21:42 AM
Yeah, that's right!!!