X Japan concert essay

Kurenai_Akari · 4444

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
on: April 27, 2011, 01:22:07 AM
Well guys, this was an essay originally intended to be my concert report for my "Intro. to Music" class, but since my teacher won't accept it. . . well, I feel that maybe you might enjoy it. Although it isn't completed & I have no intention of turning it in, I think that it was a pretty nice essay.

So, if you do read it, please tell me your thoughts on it. Maybe if I get bored one of these days, I might just finish it. ((Also, I have a nagging feeling that I screwed up somewhere about their background. . .))

Concert Report: X Japan

On September 25, 2010, I was fortunate enough to attend a concert for the popular Japanese rock band, X Japan. The concert was located within the western boundaries of Los Angeles California at The Wiltern Theater near Koreatown. The band consists of six members: Toshimitsu “Toshi” Deyama is the vocalist; Hiroshi “Heath” Morie the bassist; Tomoaki “Pata” Ishizuka the rhythm (secondary) guitarist; Yasuhiro “Sugizo” Sugihara is the lead guitarist and violinist; Yoshiki Hayashi is the band's drummer and pianist; and Hideto “hide” Matsumoto, the original lead guitarist (although he has been deceased for a several years, X Japan still considers hide to be an “eternal member” of the band). X Japan is known in their country of origin for contributing to the Visual Kei (Visual Style) movement which combined both heavy & symphonic metal with Gothic,Victorian style or glam rock dress attire. The band's musical style is fairly diverse, but most of the time it is considered to be glam rock, symphonic metal or progressive metal. The majority of X Japan's songs are written and composed by Yoshiki Hayashi. X Japan has been together as a band for a little over twenty years. In that time they have released four albums; seventeen CD singles; they have performed eighteen sold-out concerts at Japan's largest venue, The Tokyo Dome; and have sold thirty million record copies altogether. In 1997, X Japan disbanded because of Toshimitsu's desire to leave due of his dissatisfaction with the band's musical direction. After their farewell show on December 31st,1997, X Japan was officially dissolved and all of the band members at that time lead fairly successful solo careers for several years afterward. In 2007, X Japan reunited after ten years of disbandment and no communication (except for Hideto's funeral in 1998) and have been together ever since.

The first song that X Japan performed at The Wiltern was “Jade”. The song swiftly starts off with Yoshiki playing the drums while Sugizo & Pata follow along on the guitar for the first half minute of the song. After several moments of Yoshiki, Pata & Sugizo playing, the pair of guitarists stand silently as Toshi begins to sing while Yoshiki & Heath play their respective instruments. The opening of “Jade” quickly goes in to a decrescendo as it transitions into the first stanza of the song. During this time, Heath's bass becomes the dominant sound in between Toshi's vocals & the clashing sounds of Yoshiki's cymbals during the first two opening lines of “Jade”. The following lines after the first two, Pata & Sugizo join the others with subtle screeches from their guitars, making the the overall pitch to be deep. Then the song builds up tension at the bridge before the chorus while the dynamics are kept at a mezzo forte. Within two minutes, the song goes into a crescendo as Toshi sings the chorus while retaining the steady dynamics. The pitch and the dynamics remain like this for two more stanzas & the repetition of the chorus. After the second chorus, there is a duet of guitars between Pata and Sugizo, which brings the song to an all time high, making the dynamic change into fortissimo. Then after the duet, the song slides into a decrescendo as Toshi sings broadly with a bright timbre along with an incomplete cadence. “Jade” once again goes into another crescendo as the band plays the final stanza and final chorus of the song with brilliant tone color.

During the middle of the concert, Sugizo & Yoshiki performed a duet with their signature instruments, the piano & the electric violin. The duet between them lasted for about two minutes, then they slowly fade out. It's silent on stage for several long moments and the only thing that could be hear were the loud screams from the over 2 thousand fans in attendance. But soon afterward the silence upon the stage was broken as Toshi and the rest of band quickly began their song “Kurenai” (Kurenai translates into “Crimson” or “Deep red” in Japanese).

Offline ForeverFades

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 01:40:18 AM
Aside from constructive criticism, why wont it be accepted?

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 04:03:26 AM
Aside from constructive criticism, why wont it be accepted?

Indeed, what´s the proplem your teacher have ?

Humans need to believe in things that aren´t true. How else can they  become? (Terry Pratchett -Hogfather)

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 03:36:58 PM
@ ForeverFades & elanor - She won't accept it because she said that I had to do a report on a concert I went during this semester ((Feb. 14th - April 24th)). Since the X concert I went to took place last November, she rejected it before I even got to finish it. ='(

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 11:55:23 PM
Kurenai_Akari, it´s all your fault, it´s obvious that you can´t proof your quality as a reporter in the current semester only by reporting about what happen in this time, thats clear as mud, if this is not possible we advise to change the teacher immediately ::) ::) ::),
and please go on with your report, because it´s interesting for us :)

Humans need to believe in things that aren´t true. How else can they  become? (Terry Pratchett -Hogfather)

Offline XVikyX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 01:09:47 AM
IMO, your teacher chose rather unwise reason for rejecting your essay even without seen it finished x_x It's pretty sad( She could've given you a chance *and learn smth new about Japanese culture* ;)

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. (c)

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 05:41:06 AM
@ elanor - "it´s all your fault, it´s obvious that you can´t proof your quality as a reporter in the current semester only by reporting about what happen in this time, that's clear as mud. . ."

Harsh. . .

@ XVikyX - It's sad, but like elanor said it's my fault. But. . . well, stuff happens.

Offline LoveMeLemoned

• Sunday Listener
  • 美しい音楽を作ります。
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 07:02:34 AM
I think elanor was being sarcastic. I think she implies that your teacher is being silly for not making an exception because it somehow means that you're not going to be able to write as good of a paper as you could if it were this semester. And there were three eyerolling icons after that statement. XD Also, your teacher is lame :\ not everyone can go to concerts every semester. I know.

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 07:41:57 AM
I think elanor was being sarcastic. I think she implies that your teacher is being silly for not making an exception because it somehow means that you're not going to be able to write as good of a paper as you could if it were this semester. And there were three eyerolling icons after that statement. XD Also, your teacher is lame :\ not everyone can go to concerts every semester. I know.
exactly!!!!!!
I was thinking about students living in an area around my hometown, where a bus is going to times a day and the biggist cultural event is a karaoke singing on time a month at the next bar, 10km away, they would have a lot of sparetime...
so, Kurenai_Akari ask your teacher if you can get suspended from this homework, because X can´t come around every month to your place, than you have more time for doing what you want and for finishing the essay for us, m sure you will get good marks from us ;)

Offline ForeverFades

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 04:02:51 PM
If I were you, I'd lie about it.  Or just say you haven't been to another show since then... Or claim that the show was so amazing, so earth shatteringly majestic and life-fulfilling, that you're not sure if you ever truly left...

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 06:00:16 PM
@ elanor - Oh, snap! Sorry! I didn't mean to take it personally!

@ LoveMeLemoned & ForeverFades - I would lie (and believe me, I would) but my teacher is asking to bring my ticket (which proves WHEN I went) with the essay as well. If I don't have the ticket, I can't turn in my essay anyways. But honestly it doesn't matter anymore. . . It was due on the 25th of this this week. My boyfriend & friend told me to finish it & turn it anyways just to spite her, but I see no point in doing so when I won't be credited anyways.

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 09:11:10 PM
seems your teacher is in need and has to been helped immediately,preferably by a doctor who can close a jacket at the backside of a person, how stupid is that >:(. If you need a ticket you can have my one from the Miyavi concert in Hamburg and write a report about something you´ve never seen, but it must be true, because you can show a ticket :P

and by the way - I like the jumping doll, is it you? ;D

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 10:12:13 PM
@ elanor - Ahahaha, seriously.

But to be serious, thanks for offering your ticket, but I as I said it was due on Monday & there is just no point in continuing it.

Offline Brandon

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 10:16:25 PM
@ elanor - Ahahaha, seriously.

But to be serious, thanks for offering your ticket, but I as I said it was due on Monday & there is just no point in continuing it.

Matters not if you finish it or not, no combination of words can really ever express the awesomeness of an X concert.

>~X~<

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 10:31:52 PM
@ brandon: please, don´t stop her, I would like to read more about that, and later I can try myself a report after the shows in July...

Offline Brandon

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 11:11:05 PM
@ brandon: please, don´t stop her, I would like to read more about that, and later I can try myself a report after the shows in July...

I'd like to hear more as well! Lol, just sayin', words can't express X Japan's sound and shows. :)

>~X~<

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 11:27:33 PM
I hope so, never been on a X concert before, didn´t expect to see one either, I´ll be in Berlin and Köln and after that I´ll try my best with words, we will see

Offline LoveMeLemoned

• Sunday Listener
  • 美しい音楽を作ります。
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 11:58:39 PM
@ elanor - Oh, snap! Sorry! I didn't mean to take it personally!

@ LoveMeLemoned & ForeverFades - I would lie (and believe me, I would) but my teacher is asking to bring my ticket (which proves WHEN I went) with the essay as well. If I don't have the ticket, I can't turn in my essay anyways. But honestly it doesn't matter anymore. . . It was due on the 25th of this this week. My boyfriend & friend told me to finish it & turn it anyways just to spite her, but I see no point in doing so when I won't be credited anyways.

Your teacher is kind of ticking ME off. wtf. I think that's the most ridiculous thing ever to require proof of WHEN, and if there's no proof, no credit? That's entirely unfair to anyone who doesn't even have the time or money to shell out to GO to a concert. D: I wouldn't have finished either tbh though.