Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

X Japan World Tour @ O2 Shepherds Bush Empire, London - June 28th

Sander · 95041

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
thanx to everyone for the reports, looking forwart to the Utrecht and Berlin shows

Humans need to believe in things that aren´t true. How else can they  become? (Terry Pratchett -Hogfather)

Offline FernandesLP

• View Profile
Yeah, the concert was awesome, there was a lot of energy going back and forth between the audience and the band. Toshi was great, I like his voice a lot now.
The rest of the bunch awesome as well. I liked how Sugizo was weaving the Godfather Theme into his Violin solo, and of course he also sneaked in the riff from Providence.

TBH I can't really rate the band or the gig perfectly since I could hardly see a damn thing and was too busy trying not to suffocate as opposed to enjoying the experience.

I'm really sorry to hear that!
It looked quite chaotic at times from the first stall, where I was. A lot of pushing and shoving going on sometimes, especially in the first few rows.

What I didn't like were the very Yoshiki centric screams and cheers, in my opinion it was a bit too much, I think I won't scream the "Y word" in Berlin at all ;-P

By the way, hello everybody! ^_____^

Offline Noise

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
My report on the concert, it’s not perfect but I wanted to write it down asap so I don’t forget anything. Also I was down in the pit so probably didn’t catch everything because it was quite hard to see most of the band except for Yoshiki and Toshi. Had a really good view on Heath and Pata at the beginning though but didn’t see that much of Sugizo except for his solos.

I got to the venue at about 5ish and the queues were already massive. Didn’t have that much fun while waiting unfortunately as I was in between two groups who were happy with talking among themselves. But that wasn’t much of a problem as it were only just over two hours until we were let in.

Shepherd’s Bush Empire is a really nice venue (I like it a lot anyway) and the whole interior was quite fitting for an X Japan show. The support band came up late and their sound wasn’t the best (I don’t think they got the chance to do a proper soundcheck) but they were surprisingly good. They are not really the kind of band I’d normally listen to but luckily everyone was very nice to them and clapped and screamed for them. I think they enjoyed their thirty minute set and I’m glad, nothing like with the North American support band happened.

After they finished it took about another 40 minutes (I think) until X Japan came on (around 9ish) a lot of ‘We Are X’ shouting was going on in the meantime which was a good thing because it distracted me from the increasing back pain due to standing for what seemed ages. It started with the new intro and everyone started to get really excited. I started out being in 5th row approximately and had quite a good view for the most part. When Jade came on everyone went mental (literally)! It was really good and there was a lot of energy in the crowd and on the stage. At some point it got a bit difficult because of all the people shoving and jumping but it was part of the experience in a way. Rusty Nail was pretty good as well (although I was a bit disappointed they didn’t play Week End instead), would have preferred the Japanese version cause I don’t really know the English lyrics bit it was fun anyway.

Then there was Silent Jealousy with the intro by Toshi and Yoshiki. Toshi let us sing quite a few lines and they seemed really happy that so many people knew the lyrics.
The shoving got pretty bad at this point though and I didn’t mind that I slowly but steadily went further to the back as the show went on(at the end of the show I was a bit in front of the middle I think). I had my experience of being so close to them and a bit further back it was easier to enjoy the music. Also I’m quite tall for a girl I suppose so I still had a decent view most of the time. The people further back were all really considerate and nice as well. Just the two girls who were taken up to their friends shoulders pissed me off a little bit. They obstructed the view for everyone else and one of them also kept making out with her boyfriend while the band was playing…
Then it was time for Drain which is not one of my favourite songs but was a nice tribute to hide. It also gave everyone the chance to calm down for a bit and save some energy for what was to come.
The Sugizo violin solo was beautiful and quite long I think, it then went into the Kurenai intro together with Yoshiki. I would have liked to hear Toshi sing it but it was very nice anyway. Kurenai was really good. Toshi’s voice was almost flawless and everyone really felt it.
Born to be free came up after that and was surprisingly good. I didn’t like it that much so far but it worked really well live and everyone went crazy again.

Then the I.V. intro bit must have been one of the most beautiful moments of my life. Toshi took the flag some fans made and waved it around/put it around his neck. I think I’ve seen photos of the flag being uploaded somewhere but don’t remember. It’s basically the Union Jack with the X Japan logo on it and I think some written messages. They seemed to love that flag and were fiddling around with it later on as well. Singing along with everyone for the intro was so nice and definitely one of my highlights.
For X after that everyone went mental. I was surprised that not that many people did the X jump. Could be a misconception though and might be due to the limited space in the pit. After that Yoshiki dived into the crowd. I’m pretty annoyed as he went exactly where I was standing at the very beginning but I’d probably be bruised like crazy if I had still been there. The faces of the security guys who pulled him out again were hilarious though. Like literale ‘what the hell did he do that for??’ :D.

After that, the band left and again, there was a lot of ‘We Are X’ shouting going on. The break felt pretty long even if it was only about 20 minutes I think. Also a lot of people were shouting for ‘Endless Rain’. When Yoshiki and later Toshi came back there was a really nice speech. Definitely find it on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj5JFGe8NhY&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL). It was very emotional and Yoshiki was talking about hide always playing with them and everyone shouted their names. But better watch it yourself. We were also shouting for Endless Rain and if I’m not mistaken Yoshiki grinned a bit and nodded at one point.

There’s not much to say about Endless Rain, as always everyone was singing along for ages and the band looked really emotional about the reception. It was beautiful but I don’t think there’s much I need to say about it.
Art of Life started with a second piano player (possibly INA) playing the piano solo and then Yoshiki joined in on piano doing the piano solo. At one point, when everyone started clapping I think he shook his head as if to tell people to stop. Not entirely sure if I made it out correctly from where I was standing, maybe should check some recordings. Then the band joined in and did the last part of Art of Life, which is – as we know – a pretty epic song.
That was the last song unfortunately and Forever Love S.E. started playing. Loads people sang along and the band was throwing water bottles into the crowd and took pictures of themselves in front of everyone.
Would have loved to catch a bottle of water they threw in the crowd but the closest I got was being hit by the cap of one of them. :D

Overally I’m feeling so lucky and honour to have had the opportunity to see them in such a small and intimate venue. It was the first time I ever saw any of them in person and not on a screen and I can’t even say which was the best moment as there were so many. Singing along with Endless Rain, Toshi waving the Union Jack/X flag throughout IV intro, Yoshiki’s and Toshi’s speech, Silent Jealousy intro or Pata sort of grinning the whole time during Jade and Rusty Nail (couldn’t really see him after that much unfortunately). They seemed so happy and grateful for the reception we gave them and I really hope they’re coming back to London sometime.
I wish I could thank them in some way for this amazing experience.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:25:50 PM by Noise »

Offline SephiValjean

• Rookie
    • View Profile
My everything still hurts but it was completely worth it, I thought they were amazing, the pushing and shoving in the front was painful but not moreso than other jrock gigs, I thought, it always amazes me how all the tallest people seem to end up in the front row.

Even tho I couldn't see all the time I thought they were amazing, I wish Rusty Nail had been in Japanese but they made up for it by making me cry my eyes out at Endless Rain.

Also, Yoshiki screaming "fucking PG Tips!" was worth the queueing in a thunderstorm.

Do you hear the people sing?

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
So I'm back at home (cause of work tomorrow) and I have to say it was really a blast. The band was on fire, the audience was awesome and the overall experience of seeing X for the first time is pretty hard to put in words.
We were pretty early at the venue (a lot earlier as planned) and the weather on the day of the concert really sucked, it rained a lot and the wind was also annoying. Monday=Hot, Tuesday=Cold and Rain and Wednesday=Hot, awesome :( So when we finally got inside I bought a shirt and went to the floor to the rest of the people, guess at that moment I was maybe in sixth or sevent row, hard to tell. The Venue was pretty packed and with the three balconys it's really a nice place to have concerts. The opening act was okay, not exactly my cup of tea, but well, could have been worse. After they finished their set we had to wait a little bit before X came on stage and with the Opening Riffs of Jade the people around me really started to go nuts, didn't expect it to be that heavy during the first three songs, but it was a lot of fun and nobody seemd to have been hurt seriously.
Sure there were things I didn't like that much, like still the inclusion of some backingtracks, the long break before the encore and also the long Violin-Solo, but if I see the concert as a whole, that doesn't really matter that much for me. Totally enjoyed it and I'm really looking forward to the Paris show.

BTW, here's something for Tordek42 and Nage, they know what to make of it ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alqFeehG_9A[/youtube]

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
@ SephiValjean yeah the PG FUCKING TIPS moments was hilarious.

@ Noise I was standing right next to/behind the couple who were making out constantly, unless there were two couples doing that, it was a little awkward.

I think at some point during X, like the half way point or the last quarter, at the exact moment where they've always started the chorus up again and everyone starts doing the X jump again, Yoshiki did something different with the drums instead or he got the timing wrong, and I (and maybe a couple of others) jumped once at the wrong time, was a bit weird.

And I don't think anyone further back from the fifth row (including me) knew that Yoshiki stage dived, so many tall people infront it was crazy.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:14:32 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline eda

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Did they throwed something to people ? ^^

Offline vash-chan

• Sunday Listener
  • Yoshikitty icon made by stainedcardigan @ LJ
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Did they throwed something to people ? ^^

Yeah they splashed people with water and threw their bottles at various fans, even those up at level 1.  Very lucky.

Noise and Ulquiorra I might have seen the same couple as you did as they were in front of me too before moving away after the first few songs.

I had no idea Yoshiki stage dived.  Was wondering what the screaming was about.  I did see a girl collapse after the band left the stage and she was being pulled out by the staff telling everyone to back off.

My Get X Japan To The UK petition
Please sign if you are a fan from the UK .  Also on Twitition here EDIT:- YAY they came to the UK :)

Offline eda

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
They didn't play Scarlet Love Song ?!

Offline Noise

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Yep I loved the PG tips comment. That's exactly how I felt when I first came to England. :D

@Ulquiorra & vash-chan
you must have been pretty close to where I was standing then. Saw a (sort of) tallish girl with a hoodie that had gears on the back by any chance?
I only noticed that he stage dived because of all the commotion going on there and the faces of the security guys.
I'm still completely flashed by the concert. So much fun! Anyone wanna take me to Paris? :P

Offline sanorin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Art of Life started with a prerecorded piano track and then Yoshiki joined in on piano doing the piano solo.

It was not prerecorded, there was someone actually playing a second piano, behind Yoshiki's piano. I think it was Ina (from Spread Beaver). Remember when they were testing the instruments after Japanese Voyeurs left, they tested that piano and someone shouted "Why the fuck there is a second piano?".

Offline Cepheus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
The gig was absolutely awesome, the view I had from the second row of the second stall was brilliant. I bought a stall ticket only because the floor was already sold out but I'm seriously glad I got to see it from there now, totally uninterrupted view. The vibe in the stands from where I was standing was also really electric, a few people were sitting down but mostly everyone was standing up and really enjoying it. I didn't even show up until after 6.30 so I'm glad I got such an awesome view.

As for the music I can only mimic what others have said in this thread in that it was fucking brilliant and the line about P.G. tips was even more hilarious as about 10 foreigners standing next me just stood there with blank faces.

Offline eda

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile

Offline reireitan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
agree with vash-chan. I am really really short 4'9, managed to get to like 3rd/4th row in front but i spent all the time with my face in peoples hair or backs. with elbows into my neck or boobs. so didnt see much. I dont think i even head banged much but my neck is still sore. and my shoulder which my bag strap was on is swollen. I think i ripped out alot of people hair because it just stuck to me cos of the sweat (mine got ripped too even though it was short!) Tried to jump when X was on but was stuck in the human sandwich. The pushing and shoving was the worst!
But there was a nice tall guy from xplosion online who let me infront of him so I actually got to see the band during the encore! AMAZING yoshiki on piano is just magic. and yeah i think he was shaking his head at the clapping.
Yoshiki dived to my right and everyone just went that direction and ended up on the floor. fun times. i think there was a girl who was really happy that yoshiki's butt landed on her face or something.
A bottle hit my hands but i was holding my light sticks so it just bounced off lol and someone grabbed my lightstick probably thinking it was the thing that was thrown lol
I am camping for the paris show so I HAVE to be in the front or it is gonna be the same again! fun but just kept being irritated at tall people and those who block the view with their cameras.....
I was actually happy they played Drain! The girl next to me was sobbing when Forever Love was playing. Toshi is just so bling... ---__---- haha
i think it was a girl playing the piano with Yoshiki during Art of Life.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 01:45:53 AM by reireitan »

Offline reireitan

• Rookie
    • View Profile

As for the music I can only mimic what others have said in this thread in that it was fucking brilliant and the line about P.G. tips was even more hilarious as about 10 foreigners standing next me just stood there with blank faces.

I dont get it o_0 what is it?

Offline Cepheus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
The joke was (sorry if I recount this wrong):

Yoshiki gets the microphone and says;
"It's so fucking hot in here. I need a drink, green tea or something, not that.. what do you call it? PG Tips .... PG FUCKING TIPS!" followed by cheers from the crowd.
Any way the joke is that PG Tips is really popular brand of normal English tea, the kind you drink with milk and sugar.

Offline reireitan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
HAhahahaha! lol mannn I actually didnt understand most of what he said ytd. Only understood the bit where he was talking about Hide but that was when i could see him talk and lip-read-ish

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
The joke was (sorry if I recount this wrong):

Yoshiki gets the microphone and says;
"It's so fucking hot in here. I need a drink, green tea or something, not that.. what do you call it? PG Tips .... PG FUCKING TIPS!" followed by cheers from the crowd.
Any way the joke is that PG Tips is really popular brand of normal English tea, the kind you drink with milk and sugar.

As soon as Yoshiki said that I thought, okay, this has to be the new X meme/injoke, along with Yoshiki's inability to say Roseland Ballroom.

Had a fail moment with my glowsticks, I put one of them in my coatpocket for some reason, then when I reached in to get the glowstick out again it was gone, mysteriously vanished, for no reason. I searched every pocket in my coat and trousers for it several times, I eventually felt it, it was stuck in between the layers of my coat, it had fallen in some tiny tiny hole in my coat pocket and I couldn't find the hole or get it out XD. So I only had one glowstick, wasn't gonna be making any X signs with that.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 01:08:11 AM by Ulquiorra »

Offline rafaelo

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile

Offline rafaelo

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
new video
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjNfwzAplpU[/youtube]

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Gig was great. The line was massive and the response to the band was awesome. So many Japanese people were there too... I was talking to quite a lot of them in the line, I was supprised at how few of them were students living in England - most travelled especially for this show. There was also a hide cosplayer from Japan who I recognised instantly from Tokyo Dome in 2008.

Personal favourite part of the gig for me was one point where I got on my friends (he's ridiculously tall) shoulders so I could see more of the stage, and Pata (with his new found moustache) realised that me being a 6 foot tall guy was on the shoulders of another guy like some giant Gundam or something and he totally burst out laughing in the middle of drain and gave Toshi a nudge, who also smiled and pointed right back at me.

On the downside, I felt bad for a lot of the small Japanese people who probably couldn't see a thing, the lines of site in the pit were terrible. Yoshiki also made a lot of mistakes as the gig started up which was probably owing to his nerves and the setlist was basically the exact same thing that North America got, which made it a little predictable. Also, I dunno if you all noticed, but Sugizo's very long violin solo probably had a less-than-nice reason. Sugizo kept on looking over to the stage guy who was giving the signals and he kept shaking his head, as if to say "Yoshiki isn't ready, keep on playing" which made the solo go on much longer than perhaps it should have.

On the downside I've had a pretty fucked up two days in my personal life, so while I would have liked to have spent more time at the venue sooner and hung out with X Freaks I was pretty limited. I came across Hypno briefly and talked to Aruzo a little at the tube station on the way back from the gig - so I'm hoping there is definately a next time and they return to London.

Offline Kaunis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
I really liked the gig. I'm only 5'2 though so I had a pretty hard time seeing anything. I wasn't able to get to the venue until about 4 and I really regret not going earlier. The queue was around the corner by that time and the fans around me weren't very talkactive. I got quite annoyed at the group of people in front of me too. Sorry if it's any of you guys but I personally don't see the point in getting drunk before the concert and trying to sneak booze in. When we did get inside one of the security guards realised and began searching people a bit more.

The support band weren't brilliant. I think the band themselves were quite good but the vocalist really grated. I did not like her voice in the slightest. A few people sat down near the end of their set and I joined them as my legs were hurting from all the standing. It didn't help that they were murdering Nine inch nails-closer. I did find it quite amusing that they were being their own roadies for the most part whilst X had a guy who was polishing the piano.

When the concert started the crowd went wild which was quite fun but I did see quite a few people rushing away from the front. They looked quite panicked so I'm guessing they weren't used to gigs. I did think I'd have to move back at one point because I'm asthmatic and it was getting quite hard for me to breathe due to a combo of the heat, being crushed and pushed around. I managed to stay at the front though which was good. I couldn't see much for most of the concert but I had a good view of Yoshiki on his piano at times and a very good view of Sugizo during his violin solo. I do feel the solo went on for too long but like others have said it's probably because Yoshiki needed the time to recover. I did think Yoshiki was going to drop but I'm glad he didn't. I am worried about how much he seems to be pushing himself though.

I'm quite happy they played Drain because there's just something I love about that song. I'm really disappointed they didn't play Tears though as that is the first X song I ever heard and it means a lot to me. I couldn't stay for the encore sadly as I had to catch a train from Euston at 11:30. The train didn't leave until 12:10 in the end because the driver lost the fucking keys or something. So yeah I wasn't pleased about that. The encore sounds amazing from what I've heard though.

I think next time though I'm going to go to the Paris gig if they do one. I'll try for both but I have a feeling the Paris one is going to be better. When I went to the Japan expo a few years back the atmosphere just seemed better to me. The video of X they showed just got such an amazing reaction and the Ra:in crowd were pretty cool. Plus even though my French is pretty poor the queue was more fun because everyone was more friendly.

I do have to say that my highlight of the gig is 'PG fucking tips.' Along with Pata's fabulous facial hair. I think it was a nice touch that Toshi was playing with the flag too. The band looked quite happy from what I could see so I'm hopeful for another gig soon.

Offline Noise

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Art of Life started with a prerecorded piano track and then Yoshiki joined in on piano doing the piano solo.

It was not prerecorded, there was someone actually playing a second piano, behind Yoshiki's piano. I think it was Ina (from Spread Beaver). Remember when they were testing the instruments after Japanese Voyeurs left, they tested that piano and someone shouted "Why the fuck there is a second piano?".

Thanks, I'll edit that!

@Kaunis: Yup, I loved the sort of beard he had. Also I at one time, whent the Yoshiki shouting got a bit too much, I screamed his name as loud as I  could. I doubt he could hear me though :(

Also there's this video on Reuters:
http://uk.reuters.com/video/2011/06/30/x-japan-make-their-mark?videoId=216621897&rpc=60

Offline Conscript

• Rookie
    • View Profile
There was a question about patas facial hair at the japan-expo conference, and he answered something like "it being a pain" did anyone catch that? My japanese isnt the best and i dont speak a word french.

And about yoshiki jumping in the crowd, I dont think he should do that. The second time he jumped, a girl(?) got pushed down under him and the security guards almost couldn't get her up anymore. It was just insane.

sigsig・∀・

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
I'm not going to say much as most of it has already been said. But Yoshiki, if you are reading this then THANKS A LOT for jumping into the crowd 1m away from me so that the whole crowd then wanted to get through me closer to you :)

But there was a nice tall guy from xplosion online who let me infront of him so I actually got to see the band during the encore! AMAZING yoshiki on piano is just magic. and yeah i think he was shaking his head at the clapping.
No problem, you were so short that letting you in front didn't hinder my view at all :)

This is my administrator color.

Offline XVikyX

• Fan
    • View Profile
I'm not going to say much as most of it has already been said. But Yoshiki, if you are reading this then THANKS A LOT for jumping into the crowd 1m away from me so that the whole crowd then wanted to get through me closer to you :)
lol, I hope you are OK, Hypno? :)

The concert seemed to be really amazing. ThanX for all the updates) *is still waitin 4 HD&HQ* ;)

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. (c)

Offline magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Were they selling t-shirt or yoshikitty?

Offline Conscript

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Were they selling t-shirt or yoshikitty?
Yes, both. T-shirt 20 pounds, yoshikitty about 60 i think.

sigsig・∀・

Offline vash-chan

• Sunday Listener
  • Yoshikitty icon made by stainedcardigan @ LJ
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
They didn't play Scarlet Love Song ?!

Sadly no.  I would've liked to hear how it was live though.  You can find the setlist on Xplosion-Online's website

My Get X Japan To The UK petition
Please sign if you are a fan from the UK .  Also on Twitition here EDIT:- YAY they came to the UK :)