• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

New X Japan song in Pre-production

Beauty/Broken · 24866

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: May 11, 2011, 11:42:31 AM
There's no production cohesion to anything X Japan are doing, from what the most recent released audio suggests (in the background to the European Tour video) Yoshiki hasn't even recorded drums for Born to be Free yet - yet they're already booking more tour dates.

To be honest, I think the more new material the better. The 50% old songs, 50% new songs idea was stupid, especially given that only the vocals of the old songs were being re-recorded. There's like no production cohesion there what-so-ever, imagine Dahlia, which was basically a 1993 - 1996 singles compilation, but instead spread over 20 years. Normally when you release an album the songs fit together, they've been recorded around the same time, mixed by the same engineers, the drums sound the same, the album has a distinct feel to it - just like Blue Blood and Jealousy, and now imagine an album with a song recorded in 2011 next to a song recorded in 1988 with 2011 vocals slapped over it - it's just going to look half assed and sound terrible.

btw I don't agree with you!
if song is made perfectly it would feet in anytime! no matter how many years passed!
and new performance for old songs will be nice to back memory to those days and to give those songs new stylish too..
I would really want to hear SIlent Jealousy or Rose of Pain!
new songs are ok but old songs are just like some classic it must be there, and new years come fresh version of old songs, it's nicee and interesting too as those songs no matter how many time passed as I said already, they perfectly much in any version especially if it's done by Yoshiki who is master for music and it's perfection.

I think you missed my point, I'm saying that drums recorded 20 years ago for Endless Rain and drums recorded this year for Jade will sound very, very different. Music technology has moved on so much, and as such I think it would sound weird to release a "new" album with no production cohesion (I.E. the songs haven't been recorded using the same equipment, at the same time or in the same place).

I wasn't saying the old music lacks quality, anything but, I just think if they're going to put old songs on a new album they should be completely re-recorded, not just have English vocals slapped on - which is what Yoshiki is doing, and is really quite a lazy thing to do on the face of it.

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: May 11, 2011, 12:13:25 PM
Considering that he seems to write more and more songs it would be really the best idea to scrap the whole 50/50 idea. IF they still would want to release the old songs they should make a Bonus CD.

Offline SephiValjean

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: May 14, 2011, 10:17:33 AM
I'm not too worried about the utter shambles recording is sounding like, after all this is X Japan, has there ever been a time when fans haven't been stood, blinking at the latest news going "what on earth are they doing??"

Do you hear the people sing?

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: May 14, 2011, 01:04:23 PM
The only rerecorded song I'm worried about is Kurenai, Toshi's vocals on the new version (based on every live performance of it) are incredibly tame, no energy or raspy powerful vocal at all, and the lyrics which let Toshi sing high falsettos or screams are now changed so that he can't, and there seems to be five hundred different openings attatched on the song now.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: May 20, 2011, 06:32:17 PM
The only rerecorded song I'm worried about is Kurenai, Toshi's vocals on the new version (based on every live performance of it) are incredibly tame, no energy or raspy powerful vocal at all, and the lyrics which let Toshi sing high falsettos or screams are now changed so that he can't, and there seems to be five hundred different openings attatched on the song now.

The lyrics are weird. And is is "less-worse" doing a complete english song than a half-english-half-japanese song, like he is doing with Kurenai and Silent Jealousy.
X JAPAN should be X JAPAN. But princess Yoshiki needs to feel american, get american fans to his american dream. But, hey... Let's play concerts (play, without 'back') and release something. It's enough.

I hope princess Yoshiki can hear Sugizo a little. Luna Sea really showed how to reunite a legendary band. I'm still surprised with what they have done in six months.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: May 20, 2011, 08:39:36 PM
Yeah Luna Sea started their tour soon after they announced it, and were immediatly playing their old songs from their first albums which they hadn't played in YEARS, because they actually appreciate their old songs and understand that their old fans and new fans since the breakup in 2000 havn't just been listening to their last album the past 11 years, and they brought back the old glam costumes/hair because they don't fuss over being embarressed like Yoshiki does. (though them wearing the same costumes as early 90's isn't important)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 08:58:19 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: May 21, 2011, 10:26:53 AM
Yeah Luna Sea started their tour soon after they announced it, and were immediatly playing their old songs from their first albums which they hadn't played in YEARS, because they actually appreciate their old songs and understand that their old fans and new fans since the breakup in 2000 havn't just been listening to their last album the past 11 years, and they brought back the old glam costumes/hair because they don't fuss over being embarressed like Yoshiki does. (though them wearing the same costumes as early 90's isn't important)

As much as I liked their concert, we shouldn't overrate their tour. Most of the old songs and the outfits were just used at one concert, in all the other gigs they were dressed pretty normal. And their show in Bochum was far (very far) from being sold out.

So yeah, the comeback of Luna Sea was pretty cool and the release of the rerecorded debutalbum and the DVDs was nice, but there was also a lot which could have been done better (especially promotion-wise).

To draw a line from Luna Sea to new X Japan songs ... I hope we'll soon hear something new, maybe during the upcoming tour.

EDIT: And don't get me wrong, there's a lot that could have been better since the X reunion, but not everything was bad and the future with the tour starting next months looks good, too.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 10:41:58 AM by Matthias »

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: May 21, 2011, 06:10:47 PM
i thought the NA X Japan tour was great. AWESOME setlist and they sounded excellent.

Offline Jrockergirl

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: May 24, 2011, 05:26:50 AM
as times change so must bands, which has been proven over the last decade with music.....if you think about it in the 90's we were all about rock and alternative and rock and the occasional boyband which dominated the time, but now its completely different with what is mainstream on the radio.

X japan realizes they have millions of fans, and want to reach in a new market so they have to change up a bit and whether we like it or not they wil listen and respond since they are about the fans and people.

I am looking forward to the world tour and the upcoming CD release and hope it goes well