• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Yoshiki's Art Of Drum

Cruor · 12226

Offline Cruor

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
on: July 23, 2006, 06:13:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYUxR4LOado&search=Yoshiki%20Drums%20solo

Check the link up there. Look at some of the comments. A lot of misunderstanding going on.

"That was the crappiest drum solo ever"
"that was shit"
"what is this?"

etc etc etc.

People are missing the point of Yoshiki's drum solo. There are reasons why he plays the way he does. There are reasons why theres classic music in the background. Theres a reason why he is playing fast and random beats sometimes.

The answer all of this is ART. People dont know that X Japan is all about Visual Kei. Which means visuals/art. People are so blind that all people look at music today is for skills in music. I like other drummers  Buddy Rich, Chad, Neil Peart etc etc. I love them all, I love all drummers because every drummer out there in the world has their own way of playing with their own unique style. They want to show what they are capable of. But.... when people see Yoshiki,

Why is it diefferent?

Because people dont see ART in music at all. X Japan have created something that no other bands were able to do for the first time in rock history. Inspired by the famous american band KISS, X Japan is just more than make ups, they are more deeper in relation with the music and the visuals.

Yoshiki's movement on the drums is one of the most brilliant thing I've ever seen. His hair and his posture while playing drums is absolutely beautiful to watch. So much passion and power.

So bascailly people dont know what X Japan is, if they dont know what the drum solo is all about, they dont know X Japan. Its funny how people dont know because when you see a drummer playing a solo, people will get it right away that he is playing some awsome beats. When people see a band playing they get it that they are playing awsome tunes. But half of the people out there dont know what the hell is going with X Japan.

X Japan is just so powerful in a way that people just cant understand. Like Yoshiki, people dont understand this man's amazing talent with music, its so deep that people wont understand and it would take days to figure out what Yoshiki and his music is all about.

Thats how people are now, your going to see it everyday. People are more ignorant and ignoring the deper meaning of music. All they do is just listen to it and if it sounds good they will like it. They dont study, people are too lazy today that they dont even TRY TO UNDERSTAND the music.

To me Yoshiki's drum solo is one of the best drum solo I've ever seen. It stands out every drummers solo out there becuase he is probably the only drummer who played like this. Not to mention his injury on his neck just shows that he uses his full body with heart, soul and passion just to play the drums.

Thats a huge sacrafice and its a good one too.

url=http://www.last.fm/user/SuYen/?chartstyle=listen] [/url]

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 07:28:46 PM
So true, people just don't get it all :/

This is my administrator color.

Offline xScQ

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • We are U.N.I.T.E.D!
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 07:50:44 PM
It's probably exactly like art. Theres people who go crazy over a rembrandt or any other great painter.. and I just don't.

It all comes down to taste.. and in all fairness, it should not be discussed. Because the only way out of a discussion about ones taste when two people have different feelings and opinions, is a fight/insult.

That's why I have stopped discussing tastes a long time ago.

But you are right about it.. because you're a fan which puts you at the receiving end of the criticism.. and thats where you are going to defend yourself. Do you see the pattern?

I am on your side though :P

Offline Cruor

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 11:17:14 PM
I know the fact that Im a fan I can end up as a "fan" opinion's position. But like I said, I've seen other drummers and love them, (srry I forget to mentioned that im a drummer btw :) ) Im a fan of other drummers, I know what they play and how they play.

Im just tired of people not liking Yoshiki out of all the drummer out there they like. It seems that Yoshiki is being hated by other modern drummer fans out there. And the only drummer that cant really impress people in gerneral, because of misunderstanding.

Hope Im not going too far.

Offline Kyubi

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yoshiki.fr
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 01:01:00 PM
I don't know if you are agree with me but

There is a kind of "classical" in Yoshiki's style of drumming. :)

Offline Cruor

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 05:57:34 PM
o yea I agree with that too, thats why theres like classical background music while he is playing :)

Offline Keppikeksi

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 06:49:36 PM
I think that drum solo isn't so good as drum solo. But I see it more as composition.

He plays great together with the song running in the back. He does not try to step out of the song but as A PART OF THE SONG. That really isn't a solo. I think it's more a song. Yoshiki plays with a such passion that I can do anything but admire.

He may not be the best drummer when we look from technical side. But when we try to see the whole song and the soul of it. Yoshiki is one of greatest Gods alive.

'm at my wits end

Offline Kyubi

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yoshiki.fr
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 12:16:19 AM
If they want to see Yoshiki's skill, they have to watch live!
WHO can play for three hours drums and piano almost non stop?

Offline Cruor

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 02:34:51 AM
Quote from: "Keppikeksi"
I think that drum solo isn't so good as drum solo. But I see it more as composition.

He may not be the best drummer when we look from technical side. But when we try to see the whole song and the soul of it. Yoshiki is one of greatest Gods alive.

Actually it is basically a drum solo but Yoshiki just portrays it differently. Like I said people just dont see what Yoshiki is trying to show, or what style.

And btw, Yoshiki have many music knowledge the fact that he played Jazz on early age (or listened too) So I really think that Yoshiki didnt show his full potential. He was playing within that style just for the sake of X Japan's style.

So you'll never know what Yoshiki is capable of. This guy is filled with music knowledge.

Offline [Didier]

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/didieer
Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 02:43:29 AM
i'm totally with you...

a lot of people say, yoshiki was not good because he always use the same beats and the same emm styles for the rock songs and for the ballad songs.. that can be true.. i usually listen most to the drums 'cause i'm a drummer
but they we're all perfect they fit the song i'n a way that even the greatest drummer would like to do..

bye!

Offline Yoshide

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 05:53:18 AM
he is a sophisticated person in music. well okay, maybe he's not the best. but...WE LOVE IT. anyways, they only could add bad comments. i don't think they can play better than yoshiki. haha...Go on Yoshiki!!!

..I wish I were there beside you...

Offline Keppikeksi

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 11:07:01 AM
I think that Yoshiki cannot beat drummers like Dave Weckl, Virgil Donati, Mike Mangini etc if we look the drumming from the technical side. To tell you the truth (I'm a drummer myself. Have played from 7 years) I think Yoshiki's hand technics really suck. When I look at his hands I don't have wonder a sec that why does he break wrists while playing...

But don't get me wrong - I like Yoshiki's playing. Because his drumming supports the music. He isn't trying to step out from the songs as like "Hey look at me! I can play these polyrhythmical patterns to this 4/4 song!". His playing fits X's music like a fist to G.W. Bush's forehead. So when we look it from this side point of view - Yoshiki beats almost everyone.

"You don't play by the technics. You play with soul".

'm at my wits end

Offline Cruor

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 05:57:18 AM
Maybe also that he uses his whole body playing the drums. Which caused another injury which on his neck.

About drummers beating other drummers, Drummers hav something that other drummers cant do. The thing no one can beat Yoshiki in is playing the drums with power, art and soul. Also because mainly Yoshiki is the only drummer playing within this kinda style, thats another extra points for Yoshiki. Its like looking at a list of category of different drumming style, when you look for Art/Soul/Passion, Yoshiki would be only one in the category list.

I know, I noticed his wrist-playing also but if he had to play it properly, it probably wont look cool lol. Maybe he doesnt care at all, I guess it was just for all fun. You cant really blame the guy, eversince his dad died, he was unleashing his anger on the drums and hav been playing like that for quite a while. Plus I dont think he had any lessons at all.

Offline Yoshide

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 04:17:46 PM
maybe he isn't the greatest drummer in the world. but he is, in making such beautiful melody.

..I wish I were there beside you...

Offline YoshikiHayashi

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 09:02:51 AM
And Yoshiki can make several beautiful songs ! His compossing skill is great !

Offline Valentine

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 04:47:30 PM
Since that time, it has been removed, the site says.
So I can't really add anything to the topic related to the vid, I feel really sorry.

'll save you from yourself. Fly...

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 07:01:12 PM

Offline NinjaGeek

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 01:11:58 PM
I'll be honest I don't know all that much about good Drum technique, nor do I spend lots of time analyzing a song to feel the art of it.  Basically I listen to music and I like it or I don't.  Yoshiki's drumming is awesome, it's got a sort of thunderous power that I just don't feel as strongly from other drummers.  One of my favorite songs for his drumming is Desperate Angel in the part with no vocals right after the intro.

: Would you jump off a bridge just because everyone else was doing it?
A: Yes, because the pile of bodies would break my fall.

Offline radicalblues

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 04:55:43 PM
X was never Visual Kei. They were part of VISUAL, a japanese movement started in late 70’s. Visual Kei started in early 90’s. And Visual Kei doesn't mean visuals/art, hahaha, you should know the real story.  8)

I admire Yoshiki's stamina, speed and madness. I love the way he plays and sounds in X Japan, but his drum solos are simple crap, any beginner can do it. His drum solos are more about him being a drama queen. Blabla he looks beautiful etc, art, blabla, he’s still a very simple drummer. He can't rank up with the best drummers in the world, speed is another thing.

Also Yoshiki doesn't play the drums, he HITS them, you have to be nuts to do that :P

I don't bash Yoshiki or defend ones saying he's mediocre. I'm only saying Yoshiki is nice, but nothing great really. Even though he can be my favorite drummer.

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 06:05:47 PM
1) I HONESTLY don't care much if XJ is consider visual, visual kei, gothic death lolita or instrumental jazz.... That doesn't change what they ARE. You can name then however you like, but that doesn't change them... So leave the visual/visual kei topic alone. It serves no point... IMO
2) For the drum thing part, everyone has a right to his opinion... Some people say it's crap for them. Some people are quite neutral. Some adore it (including me).

And before you say 'any beginner can do it', try to:
                    a) Compose the classical background music
                    b) Play with the same passion as he does

Thank you.

Offline Maverick

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 06:16:01 PM
Quote from: "radicalblues"

Also Yoshiki doesn't play the drums, he HITS them, you have to be nuts to do that :P

... and there's a special reason WHY he does so.

Regarding to Yoshiki as the fastest drummers: I don't think he is the fastest. When I'm not wrong it was in "watashi wa akiramenai" that they said he plays 800bpm. If that is so, and I don't know if they only counted bass drums, or the whole he's far away from being the fastest drummer.... I'd say approximately on place 100 or so.
Regarding to the BEST drummers, I have no idea, in that point, Yoshiki could make many points with drumming correctly on time... like a Swiss clockwork :P
but technically - therefore he's drumming too much for speed.
And he also said in that interview in "watashi wa akiramenai" that he doesn't know how good he is since he has never participated in a drumming contest or something similar.

EDIT: I didn't look for composing skills  :oops: ee; no idea about that, but I was deeply impressed that Yoshiki was able to find the beat of a work from Rachmaninov LOL

Everywhere there flows...... BLUE BLOOD!!

Offline Anna

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Tsurezuregusa
Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 10:25:14 PM
it was in "watashi wa akiramenai" that they said he plays 800bpm.

I checked Watashi wa akiramenai book and he actually says:

"It's often said so but in fact I can drum faster (than 800)."

At least that's what written in the book.

Pony rocks!

Offline Keppikeksi

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 02:58:52 PM
800bpm?!?!?! Hey come on... That impossible! OK, one might say Yoshiki's a god or something, but even he cannot do that. 800bpm with his hands or with his feet od possibly with both? o.O

'm at my wits end

Offline Maverick

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 03:37:40 PM
There are drummers who manage to play over 1000bpm.... yes, you think it's impossible, 800bpm means 13,33  beats in one second, but listening to his drums, I think he plays a higher frequency but 800bpm - that's why I was thinking if they possibly only counted the bass drums...

@Anna: ThX for checking I don't have the book.

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 03:46:32 PM
I think it's 800bpm for 2 hands and 2 legs :P I'd be rather impossible for just 1 leg. Try to tap your leg on the ground as fast as you can :P I don't think anyone here gets much more than 3-4 or so :P

Offline Anna

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Tsurezuregusa
Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 03:51:46 PM
Either way... I think he drums faster than he should, as far as his health is concerned.
The songs are superb though.

@Maverick: No problem.

Pony rocks!

Offline Maverick

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 03:59:12 PM
just for trying - I easily manage to step my feet on the ground 4 times in one second - that means 8 times with two legs, and there are still my hands left which i can use much more correctly and quicker :P
And Yoshiki is skilled and trained in that...

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 04:50:30 PM
Quote from: "radicalblues"
I admire Yoshiki's stamina, speed and madness. I love the way he plays and sounds in X Japan, but his drum solos are simple crap, any beginner can do it. His drum solos are more about him being a drama queen. Blabla he looks beautiful etc, art, blabla, he’s still a very simple drummer.

Agreed. I love X Japan but I got into them because of the music. Not the looks or the "art". The music. The drum solo is awful in my opinion and as i've said before, from an artistic point of view, it might be beautiful.. but from a musical point of view, i think it sucks... and having classical music in the background while playing a drum solo sounds stupid in my opinion.

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #28 on: June 14, 2007, 04:56:58 PM
Quote from: "BizKiTRoAcH"
and having classical music in the background while playing a drum solo sounds stupid in my opinion.
For me it sounds beautiful and interesting ;)

Offline Anna

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Tsurezuregusa
Reply #29 on: June 14, 2007, 09:34:55 PM
For me it sounds beautiful and interesting

Agreed. Especially the Moldau part is very special to me.

Pony rocks!