Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
on: November 02, 2010, 05:00:37 PM
hey everyone

i live in america and therefore its difficult to get x japan records and dvds
as such, i am a college student working at a hospital so money is tight
i really do want a few of x japan's shows though
audio wise i have all of their studio albums on my ipod, on the verge of destruction, art of life live, the last live and a bunch of the instrumental albums. i also have videos of the hide memorial summit show, the first yokohoma show in august, art of live live, and a show from the blue blood tour on my computer/ipod

however, i would really like actual copies of a few of their concerts on dvd
ebay usually has a few to choose from (even if they arent official)
so im wondering what you guys would suggest out of-

x japan returns shows
the white night and blue night shows
the last live
hong kong 2009

which ones contain like a really good X experience? im leaning towards x japan returns but im really unsure, what are some of your favorite moments from each?

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 05:46:16 PM
I suggest you don't buy bootlegs and unofficial releases online. If it doesn't bring in money for the band, it's better not to buy it at all. Better download it off somewhere and then collect money for the real thing.

This is my administrator color.

Offline Wick

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 07:21:58 PM
You can buy official dvds at amazon.jp or cdjapan.jp so it's not that difficult.
For dvds that are sold out (like the last live one) you can check yahoo auctions but you do need a auction deputy service..
I've got the last live and dahlia tour final that way.

There are many Japanese stores that sell their stuff on amazon. They sometimes have rare items.
You can contact them (in Japanese) asking if they are willing to ship overseas. Shipping is often cheaper this way.
Personally I think its more fun to buy from smaller stores.

The true Way of sword fencing is the craft of defeating the enemy in a fight, and nothing other than this. If you attain and adhere to the wisdom of my strategy, you need never doubt that you will win.

Miyamoto Musashi

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 08:37:16 PM
Personally, I think The Last Live really is an excellent concert. All of the members were in top shape and Toshi's voice was perfect. However, like someone said, it is out of print unless you buy their Complete II box set, and that is quite expensive...save up for it? :P

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
  • [X Japan] and [Harry Potter] obsessed.
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 10:15:03 PM
I love the Honk Kong lives but they havent been released officially on DVD. What you are seeing on sale is a bootleg copy as far as I'm concerned therefore....you better download it.

Isn't the On The Verge of Destruction DVD still on sale anywhere? I don't even remember but I like that a lot.
Other than that...from the ones you mentioned I would also suggest you buy the Last Live....if you can find it..^^;

Yeah, I'm a Yoshiki fangirl. SUE ME.

Offline IronMaitallica

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 01:49:16 AM
I got The Last Live with Art of Life Live together for around $40 a few months ago. They look pretty official, but now I'm a little concerned. Are they supposed to be region-free? I mean, if the official releases are region-locked that would be bullshit.

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 02:31:27 AM
thanks for the input guys! theres no way im spending 80 bucks to 100 on a 2 hour show. MAYBE on the box set of x japan returns, white night, or complete 2 but anyways i cant spend that money now anyways.

spending 20-40 on a dvd is fine even if its a bootleg

does anyone know what the quality is like though on the ebay items?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:19:22 AM by axlroseX »

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 05:14:48 AM
If it's region free, it's bootlegged.

Offline Brandon

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 01:11:03 PM
A couple of years ago I was dumb and thought I bought a legit copy of both the Art Of Life and The Last Live DVDs from someone on eBay...but as soon as they arrived, I could tell they were bootlegged just from the DVD cases. But the video was flawless, great quality! And yes, they were region free...although it would have been nice to get real copies. :D

>~X~<

Offline peso

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 02:05:13 PM
Some years ago I bought most of my X Japan stuff from CDJapan. The out of print (mostly singles at that time) items I got through Japanese online friends. Nowadays when I buy stuff from Japan I use Japanese HMV. At least the stuff that I'm buying is usually cheaper there than in CDJapan.

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 02:13:55 PM
spending 20-40 on a dvd is fine even if its a bootleg

does anyone know what the quality is like though on the ebay items?
Again, I recommend you to buy only legit items or not buy at all. If piracy (downloading) is hurting the music industry a bit, then selling bootlegs as legit stuff hurts it much more, since people who genuinely want to support a band end up paying the bad guys. If you want to see those shows then download them (it's just a matter of looking around on the internet a bit and asking some people). The quality is the same, it costs much less and you don't support people who are basically cheating genuine fans.

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 02:29:36 PM
i would love official copies. i cant wait to buy the new album here, and will order art of life on cd in the next few days (as its my favorite song, i SHOULD own it on CD, right??). i really want at least one show though, specifically the last live. i know the bootlegs arent the best way to go but they are significantly cheaper than a real copy. im also having trouble locating a download for the x japan returns, white/blue night shows, and the last live. all of the torrents have like 0 seeds.

Offline anna_lepard

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 04:06:12 PM
Hello.

If you want x japan bootlegs i don't reccommend to buy over ebay or other action sites.
Often you buy  cat in sack.   If you want bootlegs or official footage use trading sites instead.
I have on bittorent (i don't have link in reach)  bootlegs upload  and you can find there the yokohama live's .

Offline Wick

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 05:30:36 PM
I agree with Hypno. If you only want to watch a concert, download it.
If you want to support the band and have the extra's that come with the dvd, buy an official dvd (a collectors item will hold its value).

You can download some X JAPAN dvds at jpopsuki. You'll have to register but it's free and there are more seeders because the download ratio is monitored.

My last live dvd is genuine (I even got the guest acces forever card :D) but my dahlia tour final (which also should be genuine) has a menu while the last live doesn't. On jpopsuki someone said the dahlia tour final doesn't have a menu so I'm a little confused..

btw, if art of life is your favorite song, there is a special edition that includes a booklet ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 05:38:38 PM by Wick »

The true Way of sword fencing is the craft of defeating the enemy in a fight, and nothing other than this. If you attain and adhere to the wisdom of my strategy, you need never doubt that you will win.

Miyamoto Musashi

Offline IronMaitallica

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 06:00:06 PM
Well shit. Now I'm really hoping for some blu-ray releases, since even if they're region-locked it won't matter because of Asia and North America both being region A.

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 06:11:24 PM
Well shit. Now I'm really hoping for some blu-ray releases, since even if they're region-locked it won't matter because of Asia and North America both being region A.

Yeah, that's where -I- get screwed as I'm in Europe.

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 07:17:25 PM
Actually, that is not always true. My Complete Box II is region free, yet the other box sets, i.e. Visual Shock, X Japan Returns & Aoi Yoru Shiroi Yoru, are region protected. And I know they are legit because I bought them all from CDJapan.

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 07:49:12 PM
wait i just ordered a copy of Art of Life from yesasia. it says korean edition. does this not have a booklet?! what did i order?! haha

man i wish X's products were more accesible in the USA. it seems these CDs are hard to get anywhere. theyre like the biggest band in japan, how hard can it be to purchase a record? lol

Offline GoskinsVT

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 08:35:21 PM
wait i just ordered a copy of Art of Life from yesasia. it says korean edition. does this not have a booklet?! what did i order?! haha

man i wish X's products were more accesible in the USA. it seems these CDs are hard to get anywhere. theyre like the biggest band in japan, how hard can it be to purchase a record? lol

I have the same version, yes it has a booklet, but it's in Korean. Other than that, no difference. They don't print any of their CDs anymore, so there's a limited number of new versions out there.

Offline Wick

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 10:14:07 PM
http://japan-discoveries.com/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&products_id=762

nvm but I actually meant this version. It's the first press so you can only buy it used. It has a hardcover photo booklet.

Miyamoto Musashi

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 11:20:57 PM
ohhh thats pretty cool, id love that special edition! any idea where to find it?

how are x's albums out of print?! i thought they were legendary in japan. i couldnt imagine like zeppelin and aerosmith records out of print here, you know? sorry for all the questions im just curious!
and yeesh, that means there must be some kind of reissue soon...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 11:30:16 PM by axlroseX »

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 02:06:10 AM
It seems to me that things in Japan get 'out of print' a lot....
I dunno..maybe that's just me thinking so but that's what it looks like to me judging by all the CDs/DVDs I am trying to buy.
Things go out of print, then several years after there's a rerelease/reissuing of the CD...which soon gets out of print too....etc etc.
I dunno....it really might be just me or maybe it only happens with the CDs I am trying to buy...but yeah, it just looks like things aren't being printed infinitely...

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 08:46:08 AM
You can download some X JAPAN dvds at jpopsuki. You'll have to register but it's free and there are more seeders because the download ratio is monitored
Jpopsuki is invites-only since... beginning of this year I think. Which reminds me, if anyone has invites, feel free to send me some :P

Also, yeah, most X CDs are out of print. But CDJapan has the original (maybe reprints, but it doesn't show any year but the original imo) Blue Blood and Jealousy albums, as well as ~5 singles and some DVDs. And as I scroll through the pages, there is 5% off of many items. It's not much but meh...

Offline LunaSlave

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 04:49:37 PM
A lot of people recommend the Last Live, which is quite good - but honestly I'd have to recommend the Dahlia Tour Final DVD over that - simply a better concert with tighter musicianship, if you ask me. The Last Live had the raw emotion, but I didn't think the band sounded as musically together.

Offline Wick

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 05:33:14 PM
I think the guitars sound more clear at the last live dvd. The sound quality is a bit better.
However the dahlia tour final is more how a x japan concert should be like.
It has the solo's of the members and video material that is used in some music clips.
Dahlia tour final might be better for watching the ballads that perhaps became too emotional at the last live.

Miyamoto Musashi

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: November 04, 2010, 07:01:20 PM
from what ive seen of the last live, it looks like it was an amazing show with a more stripped down approach to their earlier ones, like its focusing more on the music. how are the x japan returns shows?

ive seen a little bit of the dahlia final, i managed to download a bit but its only like  of the break with the drum solo, white poem, and like one other song

Offline GoskinsVT

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 07:27:49 PM
from what ive seen of the last live, it looks like it was an amazing show with a more stripped down approach to their earlier ones, like its focusing more on the music. how are the x japan returns shows?

ive seen a little bit of the dahlia final, i managed to download a bit but its only like  of the break with the drum solo, white poem, and like one other song

Return is great if you want to see the transition from X to X-Japan. Still a little more famboyant and the debut of Heath. The sound quality of the DVD isn't as good as The Last Live, but it's still great times.

Offline Menacia

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 08:15:07 PM
well...I dunno if anybody noticed, but The Last Live DVDs have remastered sound and editing....comparing it to bootlegs make this quite obvious, e.g. Weekend has some sound issues with the drumset, audience screams on X are just ridiculous loud - comparing to official CD even makes this obivious.
Thoug I've got to admit that TLL is a great show after all.
Why doesn't anybody recommend aoi yoru (1994.12.30). This one is a killer show. X as an opener, Joker as 2nd song and Rusty Nail as an encore....This show comes quite with a twist + amythyst paino & violin version, Say Anthying performed by Toshi on 12string guitar + saxophon player... great live indeed.

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 10:42:54 PM
I really wish that they would release the 1995 Tokyo Dome concerts. Apart from the bad taste in Toshi's clothing, it has the best performance of Tears in my opinion, an acoustic set with Toshi and a harp. The crowd at the beginning when they realise what song it is are incredible!

I really like the 1994 concerts, as they contain a good selection of songs, Heath's solo isn't too boring and early versions of Dahlia era songs, but you can't beat Returns, with the two performances of Art of Life.

Offline Wick

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 12:10:29 AM
I rather watch the edited version of art of life then the ones of x japan returns. Toshi's voice is horrible.

Miyamoto Musashi