• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

What X Japan needs to do to make it big in the US

DrBanxon · 8253

Offline DrBanxon

• Rookie
    • View Profile
on: October 27, 2010, 03:40:20 PM
As a huge fan of X, I'm concerned that they might not make it as big as we'd like them to.
One thing I know could help would be to get into Rock Band. I know I.V. is already there, but if they could get their entire new album into RB, it could help them reach out to new people. With the new keyboard instrument, X Japan's music is PERFECT for Rock Band 3 DLC. A lot of people will be attracted just because of the high difficulty some songs would have, then actually play the songs and (hopefully) fall in love.
Recently, Billy Joel got his people to contact Harmonix (Rock Band's developer) to put his music in the game. BAM he gets a 10 song pack. Apparently, these big name artists can get into the game at will; and Yoshiki is no small name.
Anyone else have some suggestions?

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 04:27:39 PM
I agree. Rock Band is an excellent way to reach out to a large audience and they need to push for more content in the game. I'm quite concerned that their endeavors of breaking into the North American market will slowly dwindle due to the little information they provide. I understand Yoshiki is a very busy man, but we've had not a single Tweet from him since the NYC show ended a few weeks ago. Furthermore, they need to get their xjapanmusic.com website fully updated and running because 'Coming Soon' only keeps people interested for so long. They need to advertise and gain publicity OFFLINE if they want to keep hot in the media and actually get somewhere here. Despite all this, I've got some weird feeling that they are going to just explode with information and surprise us all with something...what that is I don't know.

Offline Lee

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 05:30:52 PM
They need to seem relatively relate-able. People in America hate out of touch rock stars. That's why so many people make fun of Bono, Guns and Metallica. 

Offline ForeverFades

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 09:35:53 PM
Wow, that's a really good question, and so far each response is right.

I think a push for radio play is also a good call, or- why not?- get some MTV or VH1 air time.  The music is aggressive enough for a modern market of youth to get into but classic-rock, even classical, enough to get on VH1.  I understand that rap and really god-awful emo crap dominates the airwaves and television channels nowadays, but quality is unmistakable.

I think being relatable would be a chore for a nearly-50 year old Japanese rock band.  It'd be idyllic, definitely, but I would see that being a back burner kind of issue... And, honestly, I think their lyrics are what makes them approachable.  They're a bit poetic and very purple-prose at times, but c'mon, it's quality stuff.

The website, however, needs to be up.  Promotion, promotion, promotion.  When this CD is released, it's going to be in a sea of other CDs in the store.  Banners, posters, commercials, billboards even, people have to know who this band is and be like "HOW ARE THEY EVERYWHERE?!?!" when they seemingly come from NOWHERE.

I endorse the Rock Band idea if for the sole reason... I really wanna play some X-Japan on my 5-button guitar.

Offline CreepyKlutz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 09:57:29 PM
MTV isn't something they should strive for. MTV DOESN'T PLAY MUSIC ANYMORE.

As people have said the website need to be worked on. We need promotion. Merchandise. Everything.

Also, Yoshiki is gonna have to keep up and STAY ACTIVELY in the spot light -so to speak. In this market you can't just release something with 0 promotion and expect sales.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 10:03:55 PM by CreepyKlutz »

Offline sukisyo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 02:18:58 AM
What sort of publicity would X need to be more mainstream? As I grow older, I lose touch with the MTV/Much Music generation so I have no clue what would appeal to young peoples.

It's debatable, but I think showing up at Comic and Sci-fi conventions would also be good for them, though they have to make a clear distinction that they are not somekind of an anime-related trend. Having their songs features on video games is a good idea, even if it's just in the credits or trailer music. Think of 30 Seconds to Mars and Dragon Age: Origins, or the trailer music from Batman: Arkham Asylum (Cluster Buster by Fingathing). If the game is badass and the music (more so) then internet hype should introduce some new or reluctant fans to X. At least that's where I stand as a gamer.

I also think that they should stay in the spotlight, but they'll have to keep that very controlled as well. There are a lot people out there who only know Japanese culture from Youtube: that is, the crazy game shows and absolutely weird stuff that no one else in the world would think is marketable. So, whatever the publicity, it can't read gimmick or else it won't be taken seriously.

I wonder if X's management reads any of the forums...?

Offline darthchilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 05:18:58 AM
MTV is run by GTL...
nuff said

Offline LunaSlave

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 10:03:46 AM
Depends on who you want to market yourself to. :)

Getting radio play might be hard, but they can do what Limp Bizkit did years ago in order to break through (i'm sure it's happened many times since)

Payola (secretly paying a radio station to play your music) isn't legal, but purchasing time on that radio station, then playing a song with the announcement that it's a paid advertisement is...worked for Limp Bizkit quite well, as I said.

Offline Lee

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 06:47:15 AM

I think being relatable would be a chore

Anything worth having is a chore. You can't come over here totally aloof and think a lot of people are going to fall in love with you. Luckily Toshi seems like he's being pretty engaging on stage, but Pata and Heath need to up their game.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 04:27:07 PM

Anything worth having is a chore. You can't come over here totally aloof and think a lot of people are going to fall in love with you. Luckily Toshi seems like he's being pretty engaging on stage, but Pata and Heath need to up their game.

They're hired guns, and probably don't really wanna be doing any of this, Yoshiki even said recently in an interview that he had been in conflict with "some band members" who were entirely unenthusiastic about playing America. To them it's just a well paying job, and I can't blame them for acting that way. They get paid significantly less than Yoshiki and have been frozen-out creatively for a long, long time.

Offline sukisyo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 05:28:04 PM
I totally think that some of the less loved members need to be allowed to contribute. Pata, Heath and Sugizo have been in the music business just as long as Yoshiki and Toshi, and regardless of whether their personal styles match his, creative input is never a bad thing (at least I believe). Heck, their music might grow and evolve some. Not that the fans would love them less in any case...

And maybe Pata and Heath would be more enthused playing with X and that energy would show through their performances..Though, at the Massey Hall show, Heath seemed to be really into the crowd (I was sitting really close to that part of the stage so I didn't miss anything) :D :D.

Offline Lee

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 07:56:04 PM

They're hired guns, and probably don't really wanna be doing any of this, Yoshiki even said recently in an interview that he had been in conflict with "some band members" who were entirely unenthusiastic about playing America. To them it's just a well paying job, and I can't blame them for acting that way. They get paid significantly less than Yoshiki and have been frozen-out creatively for a long, long time.

Dude I worked at Wendy's in high school and pretended to be enjoying myself when I was working the front counter....because that's what I was getting paid for.  Session musicians and hired guns put on great shows all the time. Back up dancers put on great shows all the time. Two supposed rock stars making what is surely a lot of money can pretend to be having fun.

Offline Brandon

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 10:00:29 PM
I totally think that some of the less loved members need to be allowed to contribute. Pata, Heath and Sugizo have been in the music business just as long as Yoshiki and Toshi, and regardless of whether their personal styles match his, creative input is never a bad thing (at least I believe). Heck, their music might grow and evolve some. Not that the fans would love them less in any case...

And maybe Pata and Heath would be more enthused playing with X and that energy would show through their performances..Though, at the Massey Hall show, Heath seemed to be really into the crowd (I was sitting really close to that part of the stage so I didn't miss anything) :D :D.

Plus Heath was the only one who was high-fiving people as he wrestled his way through the fans trying to get back to the tour bus, rofl.

>~X~<

Offline sukisyo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 12:56:44 AM
I definitely got the impression that once the band got to the venues and saw the crowd response, they got more into the spirit and were probably as moved by the experience as the fans. Guess it just depends on what kind of a persona they have on stage, and maybe that's their appeal as well. (Personally, I rather like Pata's aloofness on the stage; I know he's concentrating on playing instead of some kind an antic.)

But back to the topic. What does X need to be more mainstream in North America? I would love some nice gear, t-shirts, hoodies and the like. Something that, if you see somebody on the street wearing one, it catches your eye and piques your curiosity. Radio plays and spotlights on the internets would be great too. 

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
  • [X Japan] and [Harry Potter] obsessed.
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 01:24:22 AM
Heath and Pata were always more silent on stage....I don't think it has anything to do with whether they enjoy playing or not.
And actually, from what I've seen in the youtube videos of the north american tour....Heath did look pretty high spirited.
Now, if one day I saw Pata running around on stage or jumping up and down my first thought would be 'He's possessed...' rather than 'wow, he's enjoying it..'

Yeah, I'm a Yoshiki fangirl. SUE ME.

Offline Brandon

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 01:31:43 AM
Heath and Pata were always more silent on stage....I don't think it has anything to do with whether they enjoy playing or not.
And actually, from what I've seen in the youtube videos of the north american tour....Heath did look pretty high spirited.
Now, if one day I saw Pata running around on stage or jumping up and down my first thought would be 'He's possessed...' rather than 'wow, he's enjoying it..'

Well, if I recall correctly, Yoshiki said in an interview that both Heath and Pata were excited for the tour, acknowledging that they have quiet personalities.

>~X~<

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 02:52:25 PM

LOL!!! Pata jumping up and down!!! I tried to imagine that image in my head!!! HILARIOUS!!!!!  ;D

Offline ddb2

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 05:43:42 PM

With regards to what Lee said about Heath and Pata acting, I respectfully beg to differ.. On stage, I think the performances are genuine; in fact, I think all the guys are genuine when on stage. Either that or they - specifically Heath and Pata - really ARE very good actors ;). Off stage perhaps this is not always the case, however...

And with regards to the quote from roseofpain; Pata being ANIMATE? Now that WOULD be acting!

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 05:58:35 PM
Pata quite enjoyed his performances in Europe with Ra:IN, so I doubt he's against the tour. Heath was mentioned in a few interviews as being the member who didn't like the idea of leaving Japan, but as the tour progressed he looked like getting into it so....

This is my administrator color.

Offline Palma

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 12:21:45 AM
I think from all the members HEATH was the only one who never really toured outside of Japan with the exception of Hong Kong and Korea with X. All the other members have gone on tour all over the world and liked it very much.
I'm sure now that HEATH has actually ventured out of his "hood" he will be more opened and enthusiastic about it as well.

I am NOT a fangirl!

Offline HerrAmn

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 12:39:02 AM
Yeah, I was also wondering who in the band didn't like the idea of touring outside of Japan. I had initially assumed it was Pata and Heath, but after seeing them at Massey Hall, they all looked damn happy to be there. And as someone else already pointed out, Heath was very much into it! Let's also not forget Heath's bass solo in Hong Kong where he was totally wild.

say anything /// tachikirenai kokoro ni

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 04:20:32 PM
Just wanted to add a SIGH because due to their lack of updating anything (as usual) they've probably lost all that hype they generated during the Lollapalooza/N.A tour period. All we get is Yoshiki updating his fb/twitter with rather useless stuff. I know he's a busy man but isn't X Japan his top priority? Do they need a lesson in Communications? How hard is it to get your web team to update the site with AT LEAST official pics/video's from the tour..something..just something. Give us more info about this new album, the 2011 tour, new songs, etc.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 04:22:11 PM by Feudal »

Offline Brandon

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 06:10:36 PM
Just wanted to add a SIGH because due to their lack of updating anything (as usual) they've probably lost all that hype they generated during the Lollapalooza/N.A tour period. All we get is Yoshiki updating his fb/twitter with rather useless stuff. I know he's a busy man but isn't X Japan his top priority? Do they need a lesson in Communications? How hard is it to get your web team to update the site with AT LEAST official pics/video's from the tour..something..just something. Give us more info about this new album, the 2011 tour, new songs, etc.

Thats good ol' X Japan for you. Besides, you got to remember, Yoshiki is a super perfectionist and works at a speed of about 1 song a year these days. The debut album for Violet UK was suppose to come out in 2003. Been almost 8 years now and we're still sitting on the edge of our seats waiting for it to come out.

Besides, they don't really do the entire internet thing very well anyway. They have one time profiles on all the big social networking sites that never see updates past the first day, only a small portion of their material is available on iTunes for purchase, and they've made countless official pages for several countries that have also seen a lack of update past its first day being on the web.

I'd also really like to see more info about their recent activities and the new album and such, but i'm not holding my breath.

>~X~<

Offline StarWarsArtist

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 04:27:36 AM
This is kind of what I was talking about in the JADE thread. Just because they're notorious for making fans wait for EVERYTHING doesn't mean it's a wise business practice. I agree 100% that it wouldn't take a lot of effort at all to keep fans a LITTLE in the loop, just to know they're still alive. I agree, the websites should be updated occasionally. They just played 10 concerts and practically none of the material, including all of the new X Japan songs, is available yet. If Jade is finished, it should be released. Wasn't a full version leaked a few months back? It can't be taking THAT long to finish.

Sure, getting what we're getting nowadays is better than nothing at all, like before they reunited. All I'm saying is, look at how mainstream bands handle their marketing today. X should realize that just because their music is different that ignoring the basics of advertising and marketing in a North American music industry full of artists that not only practice these basics, but also try to top one another in the process, is going to hurt their fanbase. The loyal fans like us will stick it out in the long run, but the people on the fence will get bored and forget.

I'm not trying to look like a know-it-all, and believe me, I've been a huge X fan since just after they disbanded. I know my X history and I'm familiar with the concept of waiting for them. I waited 3 years for their New York show after the first one was canceled. But still, they need to realize that keeping your fanbase waiting is only going to turn off the fickle masses of possible fans. Let's be realistic here: Their goal for a world tour isn't only to appease the long-time fans all over the world, but it's most likely to gain more recognition and in turn, sell more albums. While Yoshiki is brilliant at what he does, I'm pretty baffled by his business practices.

Again, this is coming from a long-time fan, and I'm absolutely thrilled they're active and to have seen them live last month, but frankly, the overall attitude of "Whelp, X isn't following through again. That's X Japan for you" from the fans is the exact reason they get away with it. If you say you're going to do a certain thing on a certain day, show a little integrity and follow through with it. Unforeseen circumstances are going to happen, especially with all of the difficulties surrounding them in general, but come on. Talk to your fans if you can't deliver what you promised to deliver. Let us know what's up. Common courtesy, no?

IWillBeAStarWarsArtist.blogspot.com
xjapanrox.deviantart.com/gallery

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 04:55:32 AM
This is kind of what I was talking about in the JADE thread. Just because they're notorious for making fans wait for EVERYTHING doesn't mean it's a wise business practice. I agree 100% that it wouldn't take a lot of effort at all to keep fans a LITTLE in the loop, just to know they're still alive. I agree, the websites should be updated occasionally. They just played 10 concerts and practically none of the material, including all of the new X Japan songs, is available yet. If Jade is finished, it should be released. Wasn't a full version leaked a few months back? It can't be taking THAT long to finish.

Sure, getting what we're getting nowadays is better than nothing at all, like before they reunited. All I'm saying is, look at how mainstream bands handle their marketing today. X should realize that just because their music is different that ignoring the basics of advertising and marketing in a North American music industry full of artists that not only practice these basics, but also try to top one another in the process, is going to hurt their fanbase. The loyal fans like us will stick it out in the long run, but the people on the fence will get bored and forget.

I'm not trying to look like a know-it-all, and believe me, I've been a huge X fan since just after they disbanded. I know my X history and I'm familiar with the concept of waiting for them. I waited 3 years for their New York show after the first one was canceled. But still, they need to realize that keeping your fanbase waiting is only going to turn off the fickle masses of possible fans. Let's be realistic here: Their goal for a world tour isn't only to appease the long-time fans all over the world, but it's most likely to gain more recognition and in turn, sell more albums. While Yoshiki is brilliant at what he does, I'm pretty baffled by his business practices.

Again, this is coming from a long-time fan, and I'm absolutely thrilled they're active and to have seen them live last month, but frankly, the overall attitude of "Whelp, X isn't following through again. That's X Japan for you" from the fans is the exact reason they get away with it. If you say you're going to do a certain thing on a certain day, show a little integrity and follow through with it. Unforeseen circumstances are going to happen, especially with all of the difficulties surrounding them in general, but come on. Talk to your fans if you can't deliver what you promised to deliver. Let us know what's up. Common courtesy, no?

You took the thoughts right out of my head. I agree 110% with what you're saying. The sheer fact that they have so many of these barebone websites and pages up and NEVER update them at all is nothing but laziness. Why would they put them up there if they really didn't want them? It's over 2 months since the N.A tour and there is NOTHING on their website about it except a few links to articles, oh yes they love when they see themselves in the papers. Well, too bad that will be even harder the 2nd go around because the media has lost that new interest in them. Oh well, I along with most of us here will support them to the bitter end, even if it means they don't make it in N.A 

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 07:16:27 AM
at least its not guns n roses... axl treats his fans like crap as much as i love the guy. waiting for ANYTHING in gnr world is a nightmare. i hope yoshiki doesnt become that bad

Offline ForeverFades

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 08:21:20 PM
I think the only realistic reason why there's been no new updates is because there's nothing out there to support it.  First the stuff, then the info, might be their thinking.  Also, there's also legal stuff going on with the whole hide debacle and such.

I have a feeling that when the new album comes out and the videos and all that jazz, there will be more info about the nets for them.  I mean, Yoshiki has the paparazzi about him already, he's being out and about, getting his name out there.. I have a feeling that because he's dipped his toe in the North American market waters, when he makes the splash, it'll be big.

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 02:12:10 AM
I think the only realistic reason why there's been no new updates is because there's nothing out there to support it.  First the stuff, then the info, might be their thinking.  Also, there's also legal stuff going on with the whole hide debacle and such.

I have a feeling that when the new album comes out and the videos and all that jazz, there will be more info about the nets for them.  I mean, Yoshiki has the paparazzi about him already, he's being out and about, getting his name out there.. I have a feeling that because he's dipped his toe in the North American market waters, when he makes the splash, it'll be big.

No stuff? Umm they just finished a N.A tour..lol that is a boatload of content and for someone who actually was interviewed by their film crew, I would know. Second, I believe the lawsuit between headwax and Yoshiki/X Japan has settled down and it seems like they're just going to move on without hide footage anymore (good thing imo, not going to debate about that...)

Offline ForeverFades

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: December 05, 2010, 06:09:37 PM
No stuff meaning they don't have an album out yet.  They have a DVD out about their film shoot, but it isn't even available here in the states- a wrong move, I think, considering it would give Americans- especially their American fans- a chance to be like "Hell yeah, this is strictly about us."  Sure, they went on an American tour, albeit brief, and had lots of interviews, but it's like promoting something they can't sell yet.  They need to have something to sell at least within a relative, and solid, release date time frame.

And I agree with you on the hide thing.  I love hide's solo stuff, I think his demise was a tragedy and I appreciate the respect that Yoshiki has portrayed him, but I think in America it'll be too confusing for new fans to see this random pink haired guy appear on screen.  It wouldn't be wise.  This is a new market, and with Sugizo on board, I believe that the occasional respect for hide would be a good idea, but I think playing clips of him and doing backing guitar solos of hide would be a bad move to do straight off the bat.

Offline TheCrimsonIdol

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Reply #29 on: December 05, 2010, 07:32:15 PM
I think one thing X Japan could do to help make them bigger in North America would to take part in a touring festival like Gigantour, Ozzfest or Rockstar Mayhem.

Who do you trust when everyone's a crook?