Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

How do you introduce people to X?

LunaSlave · 15855

Offline WeAreX

• View Profile
Reply #30 on: September 25, 2011, 06:27:40 PM
Well, I'm probably the worst fan about that :( People in Turkey(yup, there's a country like that) knows nothing about music and they listen the abomination called Turkish Pop. When one of my friends asked me about what I listen, I said I listen Japanese rock and metal. And then they started to call Japanese are gay (and thinking gay is an insult is extremely absurd) and when they listened it, they said vocals were terrible. I started to think that I was the only one who cared about other things than vocals(and I start to think I'm the only one who likes Toshi-san's vocals ^^)

And hello everyone, I wasn't expecting my first post to be in this thread ^^

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: September 25, 2011, 07:05:33 PM
very,very welcome, I´m from Germany and people here listen to DJ Ötzi and stuff like that, and for me it´s nearly the same, if I tell around that I listen to J-Rock and Metal, all are like: Oh, really (They don´t dare to say: at your age) and about Toshis voice, it is gorgeous, and very unique,
and you really not the only one who like his vocals, wait ´til Kurenai_Akari will find this post :D

Humans need to believe in things that aren´t true. How else can they  become? (Terry Pratchett -Hogfather)

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #32 on: September 25, 2011, 09:19:27 PM
On-topic: I haven't had much difficulty "converting" people into listening to X Japan since I usually play "Forever Love", "Jealousy" or "Blue Blood" when I'm online & people enjoy it when I asked them about it afterwards.

I also took my friend to the Yoshiki Benefit event back in July of 2010 and she got into them right away after she heard "I.V." & "Born To Be Free". Unfortunately, she doesn't really care for anything before the "Art of Life" (the farthest back she'll go is "Amethyst" and. . . is that an actual X song or is it a Yoshiki/Violet UK song?)

Off-topic @ WeAreX: Don't worry, I'm a huge Toshi fan too. You are definitely not alone there.

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 10:09:37 PM
Well I know how I WOULDN'T introduce people to X Japan...and that is through horrible covers like this one on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNRV7u7jSGg

DEAR LORD it is fucking horrible. I'm actually embarrassed as a fan that this was recorded and put on YouTube. Their vocalist and guitarist are dreadful. 

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: September 28, 2011, 01:20:44 AM
@Feudal: did you see it until the very end? You´re so brave, I gave up by 1.42...
I love Art of Life to much, so I couldn´t stand it, and yepp there are alot other covers like that, it´s a bit like the casting shows on TV, in the first 3 parts they are showing the total loosers to entertain us...so, I´m going now to hear the original version :-)

Humans need to believe in things that aren´t true. How else can they  become? (Terry Pratchett -Hogfather)

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: September 28, 2011, 03:40:04 AM
Yes, I painfully watched the whole thing... and while it sounds mean to say things like this, it's true. Those people literally lack any musical talent or comprehension to have the guts to post that. Such a mess. I mean FUCK the vocalist is terrible and the guitarist is playing wrong notes and is constantly out of key...the drummer is the only decent one.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 03:42:08 AM by Feudal »

Offline michel

• View Profile
Reply #36 on: September 28, 2011, 03:57:36 AM
I usually will play "Endless Rain" and not say anything, or "Doubt" and wait to see their responses

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: September 28, 2011, 04:01:12 AM
More on topic though...I tell people that they've changed so much in terms of genre and then say, "Ok, you can either have speed metal, symphonic metal, progressive, or alternative/hard rock" then if they select one, I will choose a song or two from the album which reflects the genre. Dahlia isn't a bad choice for those who may think their other stuff is "too old sounding". I've always thought songs like Rusty Nail and Dahlia were years ahead of their time. Dahlia and Rusty Nail are the kinds of singles that alt rock bands like Muse would DREAM to write and play.

Offline Le Psyence

• Sunday Listener
  • supersonic slimy dance
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: September 28, 2011, 06:30:18 AM
Hummm....when I purchased Art of Life Live (the first thing I ever had of them) I played it and my brother was there....I liked X Japan so much that I started playing their music all day and talking to him about this band I had recently discovered. I always do that beacause my parents won't listen to me as he does, so he eventually ends up liking the same music I listen to.

On another ocassion, I lent X Japan Best cd to a friend who was discovering japanese music...she listened to it and said "they were to dramatic" and didn't like them much....

Recently, I've met another guy at college and since I always talk about them, I supposed one day he was curious because he asked me if they played progressive....I thought about Scars and Drain and told him some of their songs could be progressive. He then said "oh, I don't like much that genre" and I was like "no...but....they do not only play progressive..." but that was too late, I lost him xD

So....the only successful case has been my brother....maybe it's me the one who fails introducing them....

In dazzle, I was ready to be destroyed under the power, was invisible.
When I saw the truth, I heard my ghost cry...

Offline WeAreX

• View Profile
Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 05:53:15 PM
I don't know why but people think they are not good when they hear they're Japanese. So when people ask about them I only call them X, suggest them some songs, and then tell them the whole truth. Worked to far :D

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: November 03, 2011, 08:22:00 PM
I don't know why but people think they are not good when they hear they're Japanese. So when people ask about them I only call them X, suggest them some songs, and then tell them the whole truth. Worked to far :D

very clever!

Offline petersonzoya

• View Profile
Reply #41 on: February 19, 2012, 03:47:06 AM
I love X Japan but if I'm trying to introduce someone to Japanese music, I actually don't introduce them to X Japan right away if I suspect that they'll be turned off by the 80's-ish sound, I start with something else instead that seems a little closer to what they might listen to.

Offline donaldbotham

• View Profile
Reply #42 on: February 29, 2012, 04:55:04 PM
I love X Japan but if I'm trying to introduce someone to Japanese music, I actually don't introduce them to X Japan right away if I suspect that they'll be turned off by the 80's-ish sound, I start with something else instead that seems a little closer to what they might listen to.

Teemeah

Reply #43 on: November 14, 2017, 10:21:51 AM
Pretty old topic but I will say it because it works: have them watch the We Are X documentary! I made several people instantly fall in love with X Japan after they saw the documentary. The story just somehow connects with people and make them want to listen the full songs from the movie.