• Welcome to the X FREAKS forum!
    Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

New long Yoshiki interview

Beauty/Broken · 8169

Offline LebendenToten

• Sunday Listener
  • Who is your daddy and what does he do?
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 05:49:35 PM
Thank you for posting this, it was a really great interview! I'm glad Yoshiki had more to say than the usual soft "ummmm...its like... ahhhhhh... I dunno :3"

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 05:55:44 PM
Thank you for posting this, it was a really great interview! I'm glad Yoshiki had more to say than the usual soft "ummmm...its like... ahhhhhh... I dunno :3"

Yeah I know, he's been really awful at finding words recently.

Also, is it me or has his English gotten worse?

This is from around 2002 I think, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzXwq8nWN2s&feature=related

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 07:50:43 PM
Thanks for the interview! Really gave me new information and it was indeed good to listen to.

This is my administrator color.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 08:08:28 PM
Thanks for the interview! Really gave me new information and it was indeed good to listen to.

I'm honestly shocked that he said that the only reason he decided to go into symphonic rock and write ballads was because Sony asked him to be more melodic.

Then again, Unfinished existed long before Blue Blood was recorded, so technically he'd already written a ballad (or two, if you count 'Alive', which I don't - it's just a slow song, not neccessarily a ballad.)

Offline Menacia

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 08:35:02 PM
thanks. nice interview. his english is very good :D

Offline myuu

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myuu.de
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 08:45:20 PM
I'm honestly shocked that he said that the only reason he decided to go into symphonic rock and write ballads was because Sony asked him to be more melodic.

It shocked me as well. I can't entirely believe that he hated it.. he still makes those melodic rock songs and ballads and he's independent now if I didn't mistake it.

...it really wasn't easy to listen to his english xD.. weird

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 08:58:38 PM
Yoshiki let us look into his soul.
At the signing session in Paris I saw it that he is a very modest and humble man.
Good journalist too who took the interview I think.

CharonCaori

Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 12:27:20 AM

Yeah I know, he's been really awful at finding words recently.

Also, is it me or has his English gotten worse?

This is from around 2002 I think, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzXwq8nWN2s&feature=related
I think it's gotten better. The link you posted looks rehearsed or like he's reading from a paper... I was reading the other day that if someone is bilingual, it actually takes more time to find the word they're looking for in the right language. I think his enunciation is better now...

I really love Yoshiki's accent though, so maybe I'm biased... I wish I could speak Japanese as well as he can speak English.

Thanks for posting this!

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 01:22:16 AM
I also think that his English has improved. I am looking forward to their US Tour so we can hear how Toshi's is, as we don't hear much from him conversation wise.

Offline Wakyan*

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 01:40:16 AM
I think it was a good interview! Yoshiki is awesome.
I'm so glad that they finally have the opportunity to tour the US.

I also think that his English is good. I think he was just really nervous and stressed.

Stop my tears. Stop my loving. Kill my memories.

Offline Ashemanu

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 07:30:21 AM
I had no problem understanding him, which isn´t always the case.  And I noticed he seemed more calm, not so very nervous like so often in his recent interviews (e.g. playing constantly with his hair and such). I hope this is a good sign and not only the effect of some sedatives.

Offline obi325

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 08:27:35 AM

It shocked me as well. I can't entirely believe that he hated it.. he still makes those melodic rock songs and ballads and he's independent now if I didn't mistake it.

it doesn't shock me at all; i was always strongly considering this option

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 02:06:09 PM

it doesn't shock me at all; i was always strongly considering this option

I think that during the 90's the fact that X Japan release ballads as singles frequently probably always had something to do with record label pressures, but as early as Blue Blood would seem strange, given the fact that back then X's niche market was heavier music under the whole "Crime of Visual Shock" thing.

Just think, though - if not for Sony Yoshiki may never have gotten into classical music again and wrote songs like Rose of Pain and Art of Life.

Offline Tanabata

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 04:35:23 PM
Great interview.  I really liked the comment about everybody hating them but that it was the perfect combination because they too hated everybody!  There's something in that...not sure what, but there's something!

I too thought, before watching this interview, that Yoshiki's English had deteriorated.  I would say that, however, in this interview, I had no problem following him.

We are X!!!!!

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 04:36:02 PM
I think Sony saw the ballads as a more mainstream-ish approach. And it worked! :P

This is my administrator color.

Offline the90s

• View Profile
Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 05:24:56 PM
well.. :(

ok this is what i think:

if he really hated anything besides 'crazy fast and loud' then....

i always thought that he did it because of his love and openness for different types of music.. i would just HATE to think  he doesn't like all those beautiful melodies... beautiful orchestrations, his own creations!  actually that's what i loved the most about XJapan and if there were only one of those 'fast crazy loud' bands, I doubt they would have gotten this big.

ok how about that NOW they become more crazy fast and loud??? ugh.

So it's Sony who made them the way they are, not him. Good to know. At least i am not living in the illusion anymore.
If it were for Yo.. X would be one of the thousands metal bands.

oh well at the end of the day, music is what really matters.... maybe.

CharonCaori

Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 05:35:56 PM

ok this is what i think:

i always thought that he did it because of his love and openness for different types of music.. i would just HATE to think  he doesn't like all those beautiful melodies... beautiful orchestrations, his own creations!  actually that's what i loved the most about XJapan and if there were only one of those 'fast crazy loud' bands, I doubt they would have gotten this big.

So it's Sony who made them the way they are, not him. Good to know. At least i am not living in the illusion anymore.

The way I see it is yes, Sony probably pressured him into doing ballads. However, he's not with sony anymore. He can do whatever the hell he wants. If he hated the stuff he did, he just wouldn't play it anymore. Songs like Endless Rain and Without You still mean a lot to him, and I'm sure he wrote them from the bottom of his heart.

That's like saying an essay or a painting isn't a valid expression of yourself just because you're being forced to compose them by your teachers. You can still put emotion into your work.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 05:38:20 PM by CharonCaori »

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 05:46:18 PM

ok this is what i think:

Incase you didn't know X were already one of the biggest metal/rock bands ever in Japan before the Dahlia album, the first rock band ever allowed to play at the Tokyo Dome because they were so huge and succesful, and were selling out every show they had there (not sure if BOWI were bigger or if B'z were around at that time?)

And no X would not have just become one of the many thousands of metal bands barely noticed amongst the numbers, they were already the biggest, most famous heavy metal band at the time, even without the ballads they would still be as popular as Maiden/Sabbath in terms of their influence on the metal scene in Japan and how amazing they are as a band.

Also even if he wouldn't have done the ballads without Sony forcing him, he still put his heart into writing those songs, and Art of Life/Tears are a completely different matter altogether, they had nothing to do with Sony, they were personal stories about Yoshiki's life that he wanted to tell in that way.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 05:50:05 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
  • [X Japan] and [Harry Potter] obsessed.
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 06:50:03 PM
Hmm...I personally don't think he hated the ballads that much. Besides, Alive and Unfinished were written pre sony and isn't Endless Dream written/composed by Yoshiki as well?
But he was a lot younger then and he probably wanted to 'rock' and write all those aggressive and whatever lyrics the fast songs had.

It's like what he says about the drums and piano. One instrument is calm etc while the other is harder/more aggressive but of them express sides of him. (I failed at explaining this so hopefully you know what I mean.)

I guess that at that time what he wanted to express/show to the people was mostly his aggressive side rather than his romantic side.
Also, I don't think they could have really forced him to write something he didn't want to because he never seemed to me like the kind if person who would be forced to do anything.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that whether he woke up one day and said 'today I decided we're doing ballads' or if a record company insisted that he should write some......it is obvious (to me at least) that all those creations came genuinely from his heart and not simply from pressure.....

Yeah, I'm a Yoshiki fangirl. SUE ME.

Offline XVikyX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 07:19:55 PM
Hmm...I personally don't think he hated the ballads that much. Besides, Alive and Unfinished were written pre sony and isn't Endless Dream written/composed by Yoshiki as well?
But he was a lot younger then and he probably wanted to 'rock' and write all those aggressive and whatever lyrics the fast songs had.

It's like what he says about the drums and piano. One instrument is calm etc while the other is harder/more aggressive but of them express sides of him. (I failed at explaining this so hopefully you know what I mean.)

I guess that at that time what he wanted to express/show to the people was mostly his aggressive side rather than his romantic side.
Also, I don't think they could have really forced him to write something he didn't want to because he never seemed to me like the kind if person who would be forced to do anything.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that whether he woke up one day and said 'today I decided we're doing ballads' or if a record company insisted that he should write some......it is obvious (to me at least) that all those creations came genuinely from his heart and not simply from pressure.....

I agree with you. Yoshiki doesnt seem to be a person who can make smth under the pressure. Besides, he's a musician\a creative person, not just a businessman.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. (c)

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: August 28, 2010, 11:21:16 PM
he's a musician\a creative person, not just a businessman.
Actually, I think Yoshiki is a very smart business man...

Offline XVikyX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: August 28, 2010, 11:36:59 PM
he's a musician\a creative person, not just a businessman.
Actually, I think Yoshiki is a very smart business man...
well, I don't deny it :) But business and music are quite different things. Yoshiki himself told that music is more important for him.  *and I incline to believe it*

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. (c)

Offline CreepyKlutz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: August 28, 2010, 11:50:35 PM
Shockhound? Does this mean there's going to be X merch at Hot Topic now?

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 04:41:05 PM
I guess the whole "hating everything that wasn't fast and loud" thing was really just due to his age. xD
There are indeed enough older ballads and he likes to play them too much to say it had been forced. Songs there really were forced on him, like The Last Song, totally sound forced I think. :P

....okay and I wanted to write more, but I don't remember now *drop*

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline TheCrimsonIdol

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 01:19:44 AM
Thanks for the link, I really liked that interview!

Who do you trust when everyone's a crook?