• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

X Japan World Tour @ Riviera Theatre, Chicago, IL - October 6th

Sander · 27963

Offline MiXu

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: October 07, 2010, 08:51:29 PM
It seems X fans can never be pleased....XD
There's hide playback? People whine Sugizo should play since it's a live concert...
Sugizo plays? People whine that he changed the way the solo sounds.
If he had actually played it the exact way hide did....there would people whining that he's just a copycat and doesn't add anything new to the band.

I not sure but I think x-freaks are humans (most of us) and humans are very hard to make happy :P

Offline hanakirei

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: October 08, 2010, 12:15:14 AM
Poor Sugizo. He's damned either way, huh?

Offline radicalblues

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: October 08, 2010, 12:43:38 AM
I think it's futile to go "wahh wahh, that's not how it sounded in the album!!"

Have you heard hide performing Blue Blood's solo on the very first tours? Boy, it was wasn't exactly what we're used to either. Remember Sugizo's Silent Jealousy solo at Tokyo Dome 2008? It was far from perfect, but it's perfect now.

There could be many reasons why Sugizo played it this way. Maybe he hasn't fully learned it, maybe there was a problem with the playback and he had to improvise it from ear, maybe he was trying to do something original, or wanted to try a different way, and most important of all, it was THE FIRST TIME that he attempted it.

I liked it, I enjoyed Rusty Nail more than with hide playbacks, and I'm excited to think what he could do in future concerts with Rusty Nail. It was awesome because even if it didn't sound 100% like it has sounded for 2 years now with no change, I could actually get feelings from the solo now.

Move forward and don't look back.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 12:45:17 AM by radicalblues »

Offline StarWarsArtist

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: October 08, 2010, 12:46:04 AM
I'm in the same camp as you, radicalblues! Right on.

IWillBeAStarWarsArtist.blogspot.com
xjapanrox.deviantart.com/gallery

Offline bahbah

• Sunday Listener
  • X Japan Forever
    • View Profile
    • blog
Reply #64 on: October 08, 2010, 12:46:32 AM
my husband impress Sugizo.

At Riviera Theatre they separated the line for get in , men line and women line.

My husband got a question about my medicine because he has my little bag. All the staff was nice.
 Here is my photo.

http://twitpic.com/2vilnj
http://twitpic.com/2vim7d
http://twitpic.com/2vilsx
http://twitpic.com/2vil89
http://twitpic.com/2viksq
http://twitpic.com/2vir47
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 01:11:22 AM by bahbah »

CharonCaori

Reply #65 on: October 08, 2010, 01:22:12 AM
Why did they separate the line? I've never heard of that before.

I'm so glad you had fun! You look really cute! Haha.

Offline bahbah

• Sunday Listener
  • X Japan Forever
    • View Profile
    • blog
Reply #66 on: October 08, 2010, 03:51:08 AM

Thank you , I think, they checked weapon or something can harm, I don't know.

I saw some girl who had chain on her pants, they stopped her,I didn't look back

Did they take it off? I don't know.

My husband must answer about my medicine too, it too much XD

Some medicine from Thailand ,but my husband answered fast ^_^ everything was fine.

After the first door for get in, we must waited again at second door so I took off my shoes,

when the door opened I ran and got second row but I'm too short so I changed my mind.

I went to the stairs in the middle.

I understand now why some XJapan fans followed their concert everywhere, I felt the same.

I want to go to New York so bad T_T

Ps.sorry for my grammar
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 03:54:13 AM by bahbah »

Offline valkyrie

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: October 08, 2010, 03:52:50 AM
They separated the line mainly for purse searches for the women, patdowns for the guys.

bahbah, glad to hear you had a good time. Were you behind the rail? We were all the way on the right, next to the speakers (and my head's still ringing). I started drinking while in line outside so I was goosed even through that Vampire opening act. I danced, fist-pumped and partied HARD. We may not have had vast numbers, but I wanted X to know how goddamn grateful I was to see them in Chicago.

During Sugizo's guitar solo, he snuck in a snippet of "Providence" from his Luna Sea days, which tickled me. See, I always liked Sugizo so when I heard he was joining X Japan, I was ecstatic. Hide kicked ass, but now he's gone, so lets move along and create more memories.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 03:57:50 AM by valkyrie »

Offline bahbah

• Sunday Listener
  • X Japan Forever
    • View Profile
    • blog
Reply #68 on: October 08, 2010, 04:05:15 AM
They separated the line mainly for purse searches for the women, patdowns for the guys.

bahbah, glad to hear you had a good time. Were you behind the rail? We were all the way on the right, next to the speakers (and my head's still ringing). I started drinking while in line outside so I was goosed even through that Vampire opening act. I danced, fist-pumped and partied HARD. We may not have had vast numbers, but I wanted X to know how goddamn grateful I was to see them in Chicago.

During Sugizo's guitar solo, he snuck in a snippet of "Providence" from his Luna Sea days, which tickled me. See, I always liked Sugizo so when I heard he was joining X Japan, I was ecstatic. Hide kicked ass, but now he's gone, so lets move along and create more memories.

If you remember, I am the one who shouted "HIDE" in Endless Rain song.It just happened ,I can't help it.
All day I have only cookies and didn't drink water ^_^ because I don't want to have problem
with the bathroom.

Sugizo is good and I like him too.I can accept everything that Yoshiki will do about

XJapan. I know he will do the best for his fans but he need to be careful about stage dive>_<

PS.Iwill up VDO soon, my computer 's very slow

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 04:25:28 AM by bahbah »

CharonCaori

Reply #69 on: October 08, 2010, 05:22:33 AM
Bahbah posted a video of one of the stage dives! She's so awesome!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 06:04:48 AM by CharonCaori »

Offline bahbah

• Sunday Listener
  • X Japan Forever
    • View Profile
    • blog
Reply #70 on: October 08, 2010, 05:25:22 AM
Someone posted a video of one of the stage dives!

That's my VDO , I plan to bring it to share here too but you are faster than me ^_^

I have more but, I need to edit it and my computer is very slow.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:40:04 AM by bahbah »

CharonCaori

Reply #71 on: October 08, 2010, 06:06:03 AM
Aaah! I'm sorry! I couldn't help it, it was so awesome that I wanted to post it right away. xD Thank you so much! Take your time editing the videos, I'll watch them all whenever you put them up!

Offline Faestian

• Sunday Listener
  • wants a hide Signature Fernandes guitar
    • View Profile
    • Fae's Corner
Reply #72 on: October 08, 2010, 06:19:40 AM
Here's Consequence of Sound's review of the Chicago show:
http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/10/07/x-japan-drain-chicagos-riviera-theatre-106/

Insane? Getting there? X Japan IS my sanity!! LMAO! Good review.

@BahBah: Excellent video of the dive! Thanks, he didn't attempt one in Vancouver. Glad you had an awesome time. In all my years of concert going, I have never been to one where such strict security was employed. I take meds, and wear chains, but at worst I had to throw out a bottle of water before entering. Sorry to hear things are so tense there.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 06:24:27 AM by Faestian »

Offline bahbah

• Sunday Listener
  • X Japan Forever
    • View Profile
    • blog
Reply #73 on: October 08, 2010, 09:12:49 AM
This is my vdo, I can't record all song and I almost dropped my camera and it was bad
quality sorry >_<.

Charoncaori,  I must say thank you to you.^_^ for help me post that link here.

Faestian,  It was ok,The staff was nice^_^ some of my medicine looks like drug , maybe

actully everything was great.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: October 08, 2010, 09:49:20 AM
Kuerenai, sounds like playback solo for this one.

Offline Faestian

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • Fae's Corner
Reply #75 on: October 08, 2010, 11:00:27 AM
Jrock Revolution posted a beautiful report on Chicago:

http://jrockrevolution.com/index.php/webzine/feature-articles/1609-x-japan-live-report-chicago-il.html

Beautifully edited video footage bahbah! What a great Vid.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 11:13:32 AM by Faestian »

Offline bahbah

• Sunday Listener
  • X Japan Forever
    • View Profile
    • blog
Reply #76 on: October 08, 2010, 12:22:03 PM
Jrock Revolution posted a beautiful report on Chicago:

http://jrockrevolution.com/index.php/webzine/feature-articles/1609-x-japan-live-report-chicago-il.html

Beautifully edited video footage bahbah! What a great Vid.

Thank you ^_^ 

This is another one  Yoshiki drum solo, very short and bad quality >_<

Offline valkyrie

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #77 on: October 08, 2010, 03:34:59 PM
That was a good report. Yes, the sound suffered in places. I could barely make out what Yoshiki was saying, but I yelled anyway.

Yoshiki: "mumble mumble Chicago pizza mumble"
Me: "YEAAAAAAHHHHHH!"
Yoshiki: "mumble f*cking mumble"
Me: "AWOOOOO!"

CharonCaori

Reply #78 on: October 08, 2010, 04:32:30 PM
Thank you for all the videos, bahbah! They're great.

Offline HerrAmn

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #79 on: October 08, 2010, 04:37:54 PM
That was a good report. Yes, the sound suffered in places. I could barely make out what Yoshiki was saying, but I yelled anyway.

Yoshiki: "mumble mumble Chicago pizza mumble"
Me: "YEAAAAAAHHHHHH!"
Yoshiki: "mumble f*cking mumble"
Me: "AWOOOOO!"

Haha. It was the same in Toronto. Just yell and cheer to everything they say!

say anything /// tachikirenai kokoro ni

Offline Faestian

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • Fae's Corner
Reply #80 on: October 08, 2010, 05:34:29 PM
@bahbah: The sound isn't that bad in the solo, just a little tinny. You could still hear evey beat. Good to see this tour's drum solos are more manageabley short than previous tours. 

The Sound: Seems it is the same complaint from Vancouver on. I wrote in depth about the crappy sound here: http://jrockrevolution.com/index.php/webzine/feature-articles/1606-x-japan-live-report-vancouver-bc.html and posted on the Vancouver thread. It really did suck on the lower floor, but I never wandered up audience or to the balcony to see whether it was different. Could have used VE to check on that. 

Offline Onieo

• View Profile
Reply #81 on: October 08, 2010, 07:47:33 PM

Thank you , I think, they checked weapon or something can harm, I don't know.

I saw some girl who had chain on her pants, they stopped her,I didn't look back

Did they take it off? I don't know.

Haha, I am the girl with chains on her pants, and the one standing behind you in your second to last picture.  :)
I didn't have to take the chains off, they just made me shove them into my pocket.  I did think the ticket situation was ridiculous, however.  I had my ticket from JRR waiting at Will Call, however it wasn't there and they didn't help me.  I was told to move from the line.  I was starting to panic so I basically asked everyone who looked like theater staff where my ticket was until I found a lady who had the guest list.  So my 10 hour wait in line was sort of wasted, lol.

All in all, it was still a dream come true and I had an amazing time.  I kind of hate myself for not eating more during the day, however, because I had to leave my third row spot and sit against the wall because I started to feel sick.  But the boys put on a hell of a show and I will remember it forever and ever and ever.  <3

@ Valkyrie
Were you the guy who was talking about already being wasted and snorting your body weight in cocaine while waiting for the doors to open?  If so, I was squished against you, lol.

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: October 08, 2010, 07:52:27 PM
Oh My God. I cant believe the show it topped even my trip to canada last year to see Guns N' Roses! I've seen a lot of bands from Rush to Aerosmith to The Who and a lot in between lol. I knew X was going to be special but to top my favorite, Guns N Roses... hehe.
Anyways Ill share my experience =P
My girlfriend picked me up from college in Michigan in the morning and we started our journey to Chicago. I was soooo freaking excited. She forgot the ipod cord so we couldnt listen to X on the way (made it more awesome once the show started hehe) After about 4-5 hours we could finally see the skyline and we drove to Evanston to visit my friend William, which was awesome since I never get to see him. We ate dinner at a thai place then dropped him off. Then luckily, it was only 7 miles to the Riviera.
We got to the Riviera at 7:30 on the dot and found parking right across the street. It was so epic seeing a line of people trying to get in and seeing the sign say TONIGHT: X JAPAN! It was awesome and my first time seeing other X fans in person.
We got into the theater it was pretty packed and the theater had an old, but awesome haunting and run down feel to it. We made it to the floor and stood in the back surprised with how good our view was and i was happy to hear VE say, this is our last song! (I only endured 3 minutes of their crap yay) They went off stage and the epic wait began.
I really loved how they played X songs on the speakers, they did a symphonic "Without You" and then a symphonic "Forever Love" and they had a really cool sound to them (throughout the show I thought all the symphonic playback had just an epic vibe) We all shouted chants like "X" and "hide" etc and finally, the lights went down. The intro music was beyond epic. My arms were killing cause i kept them up doing the X sign the whole time! I saw the band for the first time hidden on the side and freaked, then finally Yoshiki came out and stood on the drums looking at us. Then the band came out.

1. Jade
Jade is my favorite of the new songs and let me tell you, this was so freaking cool live. The band and Toshi sounded amazing and were right in front of us, as my gf and I made our way to the very front. Heath's bass was pounding with Yoshiki's drums and Toshi sounded awesome. Sugizo and Pata joined in on the verses with the power chords. Then the chorus came and EVERYONE sang and put their hands in the air. It was just so great. I was FREAKING OUT!

2. Rusty Nail
The classic intro to Rust Nail came on and EVERYONE exploded. The song sounded great, just like the studio version but mixed with that awesome live feeling. The middle portion came and had everyone singing then i braced for the hide playback still excited. Then, I noticed something completely different, SUGIZO was playing the solo! There was a bit of sound issues which might be why it sounded different but once he hit the wah, it was fine. I personally thought it was totally awesome he was doing the solo and especially for the first time. So all in all, it was excellent.

3. Silent Jelousy
A total classic, and so far the oldest song in the setlist. I love the piano intro and Yoshiki did a little solo before he started the intro. Toshi then did the solo singing part and NAILED it. He went really high and his voice didnt crack a bit. The heavy part hit in and everyone again when nuts. The energy of the crowd so far was just unlike anything ive seen before. The solo was excellent and Pata and Sugizo harmonized it perfectly.

4. Drain
I DO actually really like the song, so I have no complaints about it being in the setlist. It was dont only with Pata, Yoshiki, and Heath with a backing track. The sound was a little off overall with Heath's bass making a lot of feed back. Toshi sounded good but i think he noticed the sound was off too. Overall I thought it was awesome though and it was great to hear Drain live. Although it was my least favorite song of the night (still loved it) my gf said it was her favorite so far haha.

5. Violin+ Piano Solos and Kurenai
Im personally glad they do the violin and piano interlude. Its  REALLY beautiful and Sugizo's violin sounds downright epic. He played a bit of the godfather theme which reminded me of slash hehe and the star spangled banner. Yoshiki then joined in and they BURST into Kurenai. Just a blast of energy from the crowd and the band. The solo was really awesome and then Toshi had the audience sing the chorus a few times. I missed seeing hide and hearing his part but still, one of my favorites of the night!

6. Born to Be Free
I think this song is just awesome. Jade is still my favorite of the new songs but i really like BTBF and IV. BTBF has a great chorus, everyone was nuts and the wing design on the screen was cool. The coolest part of the song was the slow chorus after the breakdown and solo. This time Yoshiki did the awesome sweep part on the piano and also just played the chords. So I heard both ways, i loved it.

7. Drum Solo
It was cool seeing Yoshiki doing a little solo. He was more into just having fun then showing off his skills but it was cool. He kept pounding both bass drums and going nuts over it.

8. I.V.
It started with Yoshiki on piano and Toshi having everyone sing the chorus. It was really persnal and I was glad to see Toshi involved with us. He grabbed a camera man's camera and started filming everyone. I was right up front so I was on the camera a lot. The song then actually started and Toshi's mic cut out a bit but thats more than ok. Sugizo again came right up by me which was really awesome, he looks SO COOL! His guitar was a bit too loud for the slow part but it didnt hinder the song.

9. X
Let me just say I have NEVER experienced what I went through during X. EVERYONE went fucking NUTS. I was so happy to actually be apart of the X jump. The whole place shook. The solo was awesome, and Pata was RIGHT BY ME, then like there was the break thing. It took my by surprise... YOSHIKI JUMPED RIGHT ON TOP OF ME!! My gf and I were holding him up and the floor became like quicksand. EVERYONE rushed towards us. It was kind of scary and I had to push people back to protect my gf. But it was so awesome. Security had to drag Yoshiki out as people were trying to drag him back into the crowd. They finished the song and then again I was taken by surprise... HE JUMPED INTO US AGAIN. This time i grabbed my girlfriend out of the way haha cause i think she was already pwned the first time and I already held Yoshiki up once. It was really cool.

BREAK
Everyone was doing chants and shouting for hide and Yoshiki and finally Yoshiki came out. Toshi came out and asked if we wanted to hear Yoskiki, and Yoshiki did his whole rant about pizza and America hehe. The best part was when he finally talked about hide =) It was good to hear everyone finally cheer for hide.

10. Endless Rain
THE X Japan song. Great how the whole band sits for it as Yoshiki pounds away on the piano. It was REALLY emotional. The arrangment was different and they got rid of the piano solo and had the guitar solo earlier which was my favorite of the night. Especially with Sugizo playing with Pata. The part where only WE sang the chorus was simply magical. I was so happy to be apart of it.

11. ART OF LIFE
I never, ever, ever thought Id get to hear this song. The version theyre doing this tour is just beautiful. It was a moment I will never forget. It started with Sugizo doing a violin solo then he left the stage and the back track to the piano solo could be heard. It was haunting hearing it with no band. Then finally, Yoshiki came on and delivered some of the best 8 minutes of piano I have ever heard. I could feel his passion. The orchestra cut in and slowely got louder as Yoshiki battled with his inner demons. The orchestra then overpowered the piano and the final note held. The band then just exploded with energy and played the grand finale. Everything about it was perfect; Ive never gone so crazy before. Then before I knew it, Toshi was on the last note. He screamed it with such emotion and it truly was, the best performance I have ever seen.

12. Curtain Call ~ Forever Love
Forever Love immediatly followed on the loudspeakers. It was a really good acoustic, symphonic version. The band said their goodbyes, threw the water bottles and took pictures of us. Then, they were gone, completing one of the best nights of my life.

Offline MiXu

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: October 08, 2010, 08:04:03 PM
4. Drain
It was dont only with Pata, Yoshiki, and Heath with a backing track.

Yoshiki? was yoshiki also on the stage or did you mean toshi?

Offline Onieo

• View Profile
Reply #84 on: October 08, 2010, 08:40:56 PM
Probably meant Toshi because I think Yoshiki and Sugizo use that song to prepare for the violin and piano solos leading up to Kurenai.

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #85 on: October 08, 2010, 10:07:17 PM
If you went to the X Japan show in Chicago, you have the chance to win two tickets to next year's ACen - http://www.acen.org/content/see-x-japan-and-you-could-win-2-free-badges-acen

This is my administrator color.

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: October 09, 2010, 03:51:39 AM
whoops of course i meant Toshi haha I was typing fast and made that error

Offline Onieo

• View Profile
Reply #87 on: October 09, 2010, 06:02:38 AM
Hehe, no problem.  I do that quite often as well.  Usually I will be thinking about both Toshi and Yoshiki and just combine them into Toshiki without realizing.  :P

Here are some video clips that I took from the show.  It was fairly difficult for me to take lengthy videos because of where I was in the crowd.

Silent Jealousy:

Violin and Drum solos and the beginning of Kurenai

Rusty Nail

Jade:

Offline bahbah

• Sunday Listener
  • X Japan Forever
    • View Profile
    • blog
Reply #88 on: October 09, 2010, 06:07:15 AM
Thank you Onieo ^_^

Here is my last VDO. It's bad quality and duplicated. Sorry !

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #89 on: October 10, 2010, 12:34:54 PM
A nice fan review by Katherine Fulton

This is my administrator color.