• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Japan shows and cameras

Lee · 4705

Offline Lee

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
on: August 11, 2010, 01:21:39 PM
Hey guys, I'm off to both nights of the Yokohama 2 days. In order to best bring you updates, I want to bring my small pocket camera. Can anyone who's been to any of the shows in Japan speak onto if they pat/check for cameras?

Seems pointless in a world with 5mp camera phones, but I HAVE been patted down for cameras at big shows before, and I'm not giving up my 400 dollar camera...

Offline Menacia

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 02:49:10 PM
usually if cams are completely forbidden, there must be something written on the tickets. Apart from that I'd go for sneaking the cam in anyways (depending on the cam's size though).

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 04:39:36 PM
Most Japanese rock artists, especially Visual Kei, tend to release official photo-books and photo-albums from live shows, and as such they regard non-press concert photography as being a form bootlegging.

Obviously it's variable from band to band, and from venue to venue, it's just best to ask.

Offline Lee

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 05:19:12 PM
My X Japan contact is on vacation. There's really no one to ask.

But I appreciate the "Contribution"  ::)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 05:22:21 PM by Lee »

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 05:29:47 PM
But I appreciate the "Contribution"  ::)

Cut the sardonic crap, that's simply not called for. You asked a question and someone responded, just because the answer you got didn't fit within the parameters which you wished gives you no reason to respond like that.

Show a little respect.

Offline xScQ

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • We are U.N.I.T.E.D!
Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 09:31:08 PM
Hurt much? He wàs very specific with his question though.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 09:57:23 PM
Hurt much? He wàs very specific with his question though.

I took the time to reply and as such I don't think that kind of response is warranted. So he didn't find my response useful, too bad - what am I supposed to do? Apologise? That's warped.

Even saying nothing would have been nicer than reacting like he did.

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 10:03:39 PM
To Lee:
I don't know how it is in Japan, if they are severe or not. But in Paris, for the showcase of Yoshiki and ToshI, it was forbidden to take pictures and film in the place where they performed.
But once entered, the first thing people did was take there phones or camera's and take pitures or little films during the showcase. You can easily see this on the youtube links from their showcase.
I think Beauty gave a clear answer to the question.
You will see once you are there I suppose.
In Nissan stadium the concert will be filmed of course for broadcast, mayby then it will not be allowed.
I have no idea.

Offline Snapback

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 12:10:56 AM
I went to the 3 Tokyo Dome reunion shows back in 2007 and I cant remember for the life of me if they patted me down or not. I also dont remember any metal detectors. They did check people with bags though although they wernt really thorough with it. When I was inside there were police with signs saying no cameras/photography. Fans did manage to take pics of the stage beforehand but even then police would go up to them and ask them to put away their cells/cameras.

Offline Lee

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 05:25:10 AM
To Lee:
I don't know how it is in Japan, if they are severe or not. But in Paris, for the showcase of Yoshiki and ToshI, it was forbidden to take pictures and film in the place where they performed.
But once entered, the first thing people did was take there phones or camera's and take pitures or little films during the showcase. You can easily see this on the youtube links from their showcase.
I think Beauty gave a clear answer to the question.
You will see once you are there I suppose.
In Nissan stadium the concert will be filmed of course for broadcast, mayby then it will not be allowed.
I have no idea.

Telling me obvious things like "Some bands release photo books and photo policy varies by band" Isn't really an answer, it's patronizing to someone who's been a Jrock fan for nearly a decade...

Offline anna_lepard

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 08:46:24 AM
How do they want to check in such a big venue?. In 2008 my brother use his camera and  security warn him to turn off.

Offline Menacia

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 09:20:42 AM
First off, I DON'T encourage anybody to filming. Still you could go for something bootleggers call "stealth taping". This means, you won't hold your cam up high to get a perfect shot, but just remain still and silent in your position, trying to film what you can film, including obstructions from people standing infront off you or walking by.
What can happen if you really do this? Well, if you're caught, they might take your cam away or even throw you out. This is not a joke. It happened to tapers before.
So once again, I AM NOT encouraging anybody to tape. Just think about the risks.
Still, if you manage to get through with it, you'll have an audience shot version (complete or incomplete) which might be worth something if you are into bootleg trading or just a die-hard fan.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 10:08:25 AM
First off, I DON'T encourage anybody to filming. Still you could go for something bootleggers call "stealth taping". This means, you won't hold your cam up high to get a perfect shot, but just remain still and silent in your position, trying to film what you can film, including obstructions from people standing infront off you or walking by.
What can happen if you really do this? Well, if you're caught, they might take your cam away or even throw you out. This is not a joke. It happened to tapers before.
So once again, I AM NOT encouraging anybody to tape. Just think about the risks.
Still, if you manage to get through with it, you'll have an audience shot version (complete or incomplete) which might be worth something if you are into bootleg trading or just a die-hard fan.

Be careful, Menacia, Lee might think you're patronising him.

Offline Lee

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 11:58:25 AM
How do they want to check in such a big venue?. In 2008 my brother use his camera and  security warn him to turn off.

Well, when I went to Ozzfest 2005 there was about 30K people there and they did a full search on everyone through the door.

That's the only time I've ever gone to a show with more than 5K people.

Offline anna_lepard

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 12:05:03 PM
I spoke with friends they say  camera's are not allowed. It should be write down on ticket. I could not find on my ticket.

Offline Lee

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 12:55:17 PM
I'll have to describe everything in words then.

Boo. I'm a photographer.