• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

YOSHIKI’s interview in BARKS

Max · 9131

Offline Max

• Rookie
    • View Profile
on: July 25, 2010, 03:09:52 PM

http://www.barks.jp/news/?id=1000062805&p=0

This is a really good interview, so I’d like to share this with people here.
I know my translation is not perfect, but hope you can feel how enthusiastic YOSHIKI is about X JAPAN’s new start.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Is your neck all right?
YOSHIKI: Neither good nor bad. 2 or 3 fingers of my left hand are numb. They stay numb all day, so a medicine that kills the numbness is prescribed.

-- Does it affect you to hold drumsticks?
YOSHIKI: No. Sensory nerves and motor nerves are different, so I can move the fingers normally. I just feel like I’m touching ice…..like frostbite? It feels bad. It might cure, or might not cure because nerves are damaged. I was told that the next treatment would be to cut the front of my neck and insert a piece of metal from there if it gets worse.

-- You want to avoid it, don’t you?
YOSHIKI: I’ve come this far. Whatever happens, happens. (laugh)

-- Your fans are worried about you because they know you never cut corners.
YOSHIKI: This is the price that I have to pay for that. (laugh) I was thinking that this would happen someday. Of course I’m careful about it. I’ve been told that I must not play drums without the cast.

-- I also hope that it will cure naturally. A miracle that cures an incurable disease can happen.
YOSHIKI: It can. It is like a miracle that X JAPAN is still ongoing.

-- But the current condition of the band is so good, isn’t it?
YOSHIKI: The physical condition is not good (laugh), but the mental condition is good.

-- The recording is getting to a climax, so do you feel your development as a musician?
YOSHIKI: While X JAPAN was separated, I listened to a variety of music, worked on VIOLET UK, and absorbed more and more various music from dance music to jazz, after that we reunited X JAPAN, so I think a little wider variety of elements were added. Of course I returned the basis to rock….hard rock, so sensitive voicing, grace notes and others might have improved. However, I won’t go for how to make it complicated or how to pick up the tempo, because I’ve done all about those stuff long ago.

-- I see.
YOSHIKI: As you will see if you ask SUGIZO, X JAPAN’s tunes are really difficult to play though they are easy to listen. For example, in “Jade”, the key goes halftone down in the middle of the tune but it doesn’t sound like that. (Editor’s note: The riff in the intro is G but it becomes F# before the guitar solo.) Current X JAPAN might be listener-friendly but getting complex.

-- Audiences don’t easily notice that.
YOSHIKI: It’s hard for players. (laugh)

-- One year has passed since SUGIZO joined, so is there any difference of his position between the concert at TOKYO DOME in May 2009 and the upcoming concerts at NISSAN STADIUM?
YOSHIKI: Yes. We have been getting more like a band, also for the recording. I was just one mass of anxiety at the time of reunion, like “What should I do? How should I do this?”

-- But you broke through everything.
YOSHIKI: Including the health problems, the situation surrounding X JAPAN is not peaceful yet, however, NISSAN STADIUM will be our starting point in the sense that we’re going on world tour. In that sense, our unity as a band has evolved for 2 years after reunion.

-- The evolution is a treasure for the band.
YOSHIKI: Many cases of reunion end just after reuniting at the time, but I think X JAPAN has come into a new chapter now after passing through some eras. Lollapalooza show on August 8 and NISSAN STADIUM shows on August 14&15 will be the first activity in the new chapter.

-- To talk about new X JAPAN, SUGIZO is a crucial person. Can you tell what X JAPAN expected for him and what he tried to give?
YOSHIKI: In the first place, his participation resulted in a natural way. Before that, SUGIZO and I formed a band called SKIN with GACKT and Miyabi, and I realized that we have musical commonalities this much when we played together. Both of us have a background in classical music, are particular about loop including progressive music – dance music, and like modern classical music as well.

-- SUGIZO’s activities and VIOLET UK are…..
YOSHIKI: Similar. So, he participated quite naturally.

-- You both are similar also in that you both are abnormally stoic.
YOSHIKI: But it was the same as the case of HIDE’s participation. He didn’t suddenly participate, there had been a relationship between human beings, and we had a relationship in music, and then he became a member. It (SUGIZO’s case) was the same as that.

-- Right. Unlike session musicians, a relationship between human beings is a source of power for a band.
YOSHIKI: I think that many things had happened to ToshI, and I think there was awkwardness between us at the beginning of reunion. However, since the beginning of this year, the many walls around us suddenly disappeared. On the contrary, we were surrounded by a thick high wall that we couldn’t see each other’s world over when the band broke up.

-- A wall that seems you can never climb over.
YOSHIKI: A wall that seems to stay until the end of my life. But it became lower and thinner at the time of reunion, and then it finally almost disappeared now. ToshI and I have been talking and having a meal together often recently, which feels like the time when we started the band. So, I feel now might be the true start of X JAPAN.

-- Now is the true start?
YOSHIKI: This reunion is close to the feeling that I felt when we formed the band. We are rookies in other countries. In that sense, this occasion came at a quite good time. I don’t have any thought like we are a quite successful band in Japan or a band that can fill arenas is going overseas at all, and I feel like I will do anything on this occasion. I think it’s different from the feeling at the beginning of reunion.

-- It’s an original intention in the true sense of the term.
YOSHIKI: We’ll go on world tour, but live houses (clubs) would be fine. I have a feeling that I’ll do perform anywhere.

-- It’s a statement like a rookie band.
YOSHIKI: We are a rookie band at heart. Come to think of it, the concerts at NISSAN STADIUM are like self-produced. Take us as a big indie band.

-- X JAPAN has been prone to that since the early days. A great indie band that make their way as they like, as they believe.
YOSHIKI: Right. That’s why we might have managed to get by even though the label changed and our surroundings changed.

-- Finally, I’d like to say one thing. Well…..I’d like X JAPAN to release many albums. (laugh)
YOSHIKI: Yes…..There’s no other band that has released no album even after performing at TOKYO DOME many times after reunion, is it? There has never been such an inefficient band.

-- It figures if you cannot compose, but you’ve provided many songs for other people, haven’t you? Though you provide songs to others, you don’t compose for yourself. Could you please do something about that?
YOSHIKI: I’m strict with myself. But this time, the album will be released. (laugh) I think I can be proud of it.

-- Around the autumn?
YOSHIKI: Yes, it will. Even if there is any delay, it will be released by the end of year. If it’s not released, I’ll cut my stomach. (laugh)

-- Songs released to the world are grown by audiences and they return to the band. The new songs will influence the band as well.
YOSHIKI: Right. As for “Kurenai”, I made it long ago, but it brings a tear to my eye that people sing it still now.

-- Songs keep alive without aging.
YOSHIKI: At that time, I played “Kurenai”, “Silent Jealousy” and others, but I didn’t think that I would play those at this age.

-- There is a long way to go. 10 years, 20 years …..
YOSHIKI: Maybe. X JAPAN has nine lives. (laugh) It’s a band that looks like it’s going to break, but it doesn’t break.

-- Even if it breaks, it will revive after fixing up (surgery).
YOSHIKI: We destroyed it by ourselves and reconstructed it. We fell over more than seven times and rose more than eight times. (laugh)

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 03:40:59 PM
Wow, I saw the interview earlier but couldn't read Japanese. Thanks a lot again, Max! :)

It's good to see that Yoshiki sees X Japan as a small live-house band overseas, in my opinion. The last thing we need is them to try a MSG, Bercy or London's O2 3 days live or something :P

This is my administrator color.

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 03:50:31 PM
THanks a LOT for the translation, Max! : )))

Reading that made me really happy again!

(And in contrat to their weird LA Times article... THIS is the real Yoshiki! :) )

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline Silvia

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 04:35:04 PM
Thanks so much! :D I loved the interview ^^ *Happy*

(Hello....? is this my first post here?  xD)

Offline drivedrivebaby

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 04:58:14 PM
Many thanks, Max. Fantastic translation!

Offline XVikyX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 05:15:00 PM
thank you a lot for the translation! ^__^
Im so happy to see the enthusiasm in Yoshiki's words..  Though all these "numbness in fingers" and "inserting a piece of metal in the neck" things scare me to death t_T ..... poor Yoshiki...... But anyway, it's great that he stays optimistic and seems to be determined

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. (c)

Offline Maverick

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 05:47:47 PM
Thank you so much for the translation - it was really heartwarming to read this interview :))

Everywhere there flows...... BLUE BLOOD!!

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 06:59:41 PM
Thanks again Max, our very great translator!!!

This are really Yoshiki-spoken words!

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 11:43:07 PM
There's no proof that Yoshiki didn't say that in the LA Times article, until someone (Yoshiki preferably) says different then I'm not going to doubt that articles' accuracy just yet.

Offline vayz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • My kinda music
Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 08:31:30 AM
It was my fervent wish to see X Japan in small-venue-intimate-like performances.
I prefer it more than the tokyo dome-nissan stadium concerts. Of course it is next
to impossible with X Japan's caliber.

But with this item, I feel a little hope... 
We’ll go on world tour, but live houses (clubs) would be fine. I have a feeling that I’ll do perform anywhere

Thanks for the translation..

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 01:40:30 PM
As I mentioned in the other LA Times thread...

In regard to people saying that this interview reflects the real Yoshiki and the LA Times one does not, I would argue otherwise.

In Japan it is expected of someone like Yoshiki to come across as being modest, shy and polite because etiquette is everything, therefore in interviews he speaks and acts as such. In America the culture is hugely different and as a result can conduct himself differently when speaking in English. Go watch the videos of Yoshiki's recent Q&A at Anime Central, in some places he comes across as being very crass and arrogant - that's because he is, it's merely a side to him that he would never show in public in Japan.

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 05:00:49 PM
Code: [Select]
Go watch the videos of Yoshiki's recent Q&A at Anime Central, in some places he comes across as being very crass and arrogant - that's because he is, it's merely a side to him that he would never show in public in Japan.
Very strange what you say about this Q&A: When I saw this Q&A at Anime Central, I had the impression to see a modest and sympathic man when I looked this Q&A...I didn't found him arrogant...
Everybody looks with other eyes I suppose...

shane140

Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 06:12:11 PM
 After watching this, it occured to me that he seems very rude.Perhaps he was having a bad day but that's no excuse to speak to your staff like that.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6m4WvgmMFQ[/youtube]

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 07:15:51 PM
Yeah, forget wether he's tired or not, its not the point, no excuse for speaking to people like that.

Offline Ashemanu

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 09:05:46 PM
Geeze ... no reason to get excited about a four year old video now. What do you expect of him nowadays? He has to run the show, and his band is not showing the most of effort to support him, so he has to do it alone. And that wouldn´t work with being shy, modest and nice all the time.

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
  • [X Japan] and [Harry Potter] obsessed.
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 08:38:13 PM
Yeah people....cause, in working enviroments no one gets angry and no o ne yells at anyone else especially when they are having a bad day or are under pressure etc etc.
I dunno where you are working or what happens where you live but in my country and in my workplace you are likely to get yelled at by supervisors or higher ups......

Yeah, I'm a Yoshiki fangirl. SUE ME.

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 10:45:21 PM
Ha, from what I can remember, that guy was messing around with triplets...YOU JUST DON'T DO THAT! :P

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 12:08:37 AM
Ha, from what I can remember, that guy was messing around with triplets...YOU JUST DON'T DO THAT! :P

Jus' nonono tripret! Wha' was tha'? Jus' not fuckin' anything. Do eet nao!

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 12:27:33 AM
Jus' nonono tripret! Wha' was tha'? Jus' not fuckin' anything. Do eet nao!

Hilarious  ;D

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: July 31, 2010, 02:12:22 AM
but why people recording him when he is angry? is not funny at all, lol

Ex denxdenx

Offline anna_lepard

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: July 31, 2010, 11:21:03 AM
Yoshiki should come work for my mom, the he knows how it feels like to be  victim. My mom curses at her employees alot same reason as Yoshiki did .

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: July 31, 2010, 12:35:59 PM
but why people recording him when he is angry? is not funny at all, lol

He knew the Japanese film crew were there, and it wasn't subtitled, so you just have to assume that he was of the opinion that the nature of his rant, and more specifically the kind of words he was using to talk to his staff, would be lost in translation.

From what I can gather, his staff member was programming MIDI from a musical score which Yoshiki had written and is playing it through a Piano synth/VST to demonstrate the work he has done. Yoshiki appears to be annoyed that the staff member has chosen to program his music differently than it is written in the score, specifically by adding a triplet to a piano flourish, and attempting to justify it by saying that "it feels/sounds right"

I think that this was during the recording of Anniversary for Eternal Melody II, but I'm not entirely certain.

Offline Faestian

• Sunday Listener
  • wants a hide Signature Fernandes guitar
    • View Profile
    • Fae's Corner
Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 02:49:10 AM
I saw this video in 2007 and laughed. I am 100% on Yoshiki's side in this. Triplet messing Dude should know that you don't remix the maestro's works, no matter WHO that maestro is. I am a visual artist, however I am nowhere near successful enough to have assistants work with me to lay down base coats or stretch and prep canvases for me. I do that myself. However, if I was as genius and as prolific at my craft as Yoshiki is; if I laid down a series of thumbnails describing exactly what I required for an undercoat, or perhaps what precious or semi precious stones I needed to be purchased and crushed for pigment, and my assistant substituted something they thought might work better, or ground them course when they needed to be fine; if they substituted powdered yolks instead of fresh egg yolks in the mix, all in hope to highlight their own, personal talent/ability, I would have done a lot worse than speak with a sharp tone and use a few profanities. I think perhaps said assistant might have left my studio wearing an oddly shaped canvas and wood necklace while on their way to find new work, even if I still called them a dear friend. (but then, my dear friends know how I am about my art and would never presume such a thing) 

Want to mix your own paints/triplets? Go ahead, but do it to your OWN work. I invite you to surpass me and my art if you want. I am sure you can, but Dude, do it with your OWN canvases/compositions, do NOT mess with the Maestro's work in progress, especially one I have been sweating, slaving and struggling over for months or perhaps even years. He's a musician, not a saint. He's human.

Any one of us might feel angry, perhaps violated by such an intrusion. It is a form of theft when you think of it. I think Yoshiki was entirely within both his rights and the boundary of control and good taste. All he did was swear and say 'don't mess with my music, ever again.' I can think of a number of western musicians who A: would have punched Dude, and/or B: walked out in a pouting huff. Yo just went back to work. For all we know, they went out for dinner and a few drinks afterward.       
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 02:51:58 AM by Faestian »