• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

FIFA World Cup 2010

TG · 12219

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
on: June 04, 2010, 07:52:43 PM

The 2010 FIFA World Cup is around the corner, so I thought it would be nice to have a thread here to discuss it.

I'm picking Argentina although it totally depends on Maradona and his tactics.

Also, anyone interested in playing the official Fantasy Football game can join my league:

http://en.mcdonalds.fantasy.fifa.com/M/myteam.mc

League code: 342451-80260

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline rafaelo

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 08:00:11 PM
which anything this year the cup is our goes came Brazil our pro Argentine brother in a wins on Brazil never.
It once again is going to finish everything in party here in Brazil
Cup of the Africa is going to be our

Offline DopeHead

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 08:17:09 PM
Slovakia will be on World Championships for the first time, so I hope we win at least one match if anything :)

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 08:40:18 PM
Slovakia will be on World Championships for the first time, so I hope we win at least one match if anything :)

I like Marek Hamsik, I think he has a big future ahead of him :)

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline Neru

• Sunday Listener
  • Somewhere Between Here and There
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 09:55:58 PM
The portuguese Team needs Mourinho if they want to acomplish anything. Our current coach does not have what it takes to get us beyond the group phase.

The fact that I am a Copy of so many that I admire, makes me feel unique.

Offline Roy

• Sunday Listener
  • Nightcrawler
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 10:42:44 PM
Oh yea, looking forward to this.
I'm a huge fan of Brazil since a kid (and football since I've played myself too), so I'm kinda waiting to see if they've improved a bit from last WC. haha. Got all my hopes up for them.

飛ぶ夢をしばらく見ない。

Offline rafaelo

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 01:41:02 AM
Roy also am waiting
that of the Brazil

Offline rafaelo

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 01:49:05 AM
is it Neru we are going to face Portugual in the 1 phase né?
Brazil and Portugual is going to be a good game

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 03:31:20 AM
TG : i joined

Ex denxdenx

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 12:07:07 PM
Obviously I'm going to be supporting England, but I don't expect anything. I think we will get the last 16 or Quarter Finals at best, as we're just not good enough. We might have eased to the World Cup under Capello, but on the pitch we've not looked convincing at all, and whenever we have been given any stern tests we have been played off the pitch (E.G against Spain and Brazil in friendlies).

Our best players, bar Rooney, are off-form and reaching the latter years of their careers. Ferdinand being injured isn't a massive blow, considering that he's been error-prone internationally for a while, but I still look through the squad and think there is a distinct lack of flair. Leaving Walcott out of the team was a silly mistake, because as far as flair players and super-subs who can change a game for you go, I can't think of anyone better at Capello's disposal.

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 01:49:37 PM
Obviously I'm going to be supporting England, but I don't expect anything. I think we will get the last 16 or Quarter Finals at best, as we're just not good enough. We might have eased to the World Cup under Capello, but on the pitch we've not looked convincing at all, and whenever we have been given any stern tests we have been played off the pitch (E.G against Spain and Brazil in friendlies).

Our best players, bar Rooney, are off-form and reaching the latter years of their careers. Ferdinand being injured isn't a massive blow, considering that he's been error-prone internationally for a while, but I still look through the squad and think there is a distinct lack of flair. Leaving Walcott out of the team was a silly mistake, because as far as flair players and super-subs who can change a game for you go, I can't think of anyone better at Capello's disposal.

It's nice to see a well-spoken and sensible England fan :)

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 12:47:03 PM
and so it begins!! yeah!

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline rafaelo

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 12:50:09 PM
it is just that wins the best

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 01:14:41 PM
Prediction: Mexico win. Goalscorer: Javier Hernandez

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline rafaelo

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 03:17:14 PM
Brazil wins Goalscorer Luis Fabiano ...Kaka are going to be the great player of this cup

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 01:54:14 AM
I'm not into predicting a World Cup, but I think Brazil will have a better tournament than they did in 2006. I think that although Argentina are probably the most talented team in the finals a combination of poor team-building and weak leadership is going to let them down. They barely qualified, and in honesty I don't think on that level of showing they deserve to get anything out of the World Cup.

I think Spain are a real possibility to be at least Semi-Finalists, given the riches of talent the squad possesses. But at the same time I think they have consistently failed to perform on the world stage in the past, and this time it's not a given that it wont end up the same way.

As for the holders, I think the Italian team is aging and quite brittle. I think they will get to the Quarter Finals at best.

As for teams which I think will be surprising, my money would go on Portugal and Chile.

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 01:55:09 AM
I hope Luis Fabiano is top goalscorer, he is in my fantasy football team ;)

EDIT: C'mon South Korea, Argentina and England!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 02:42:48 AM by TG »

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 06:25:31 PM
South Korea looked solid today, I think they might spring a shock against Argentina. The Argentines looked dangerous going forward, as you would expect for a team with the kind of attacking talent and riches that they do, but at the back they looked unorganised and frail. I think against a better and more organised team than Nigeria they're gonna be anyone's for the taking. I think their hopes for success are going to depend on out-scoring their opponents.

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 07:20:52 PM
Beauty/Broken, your analysis is noticeably superior to that of ITV and BBC :P

Quite looking forward to the USA game now, there has been a lot of hype surrounding it. That being said, I don't think we should under-estimate USA as anything can happen (see: Spain vs USA confederations cup 2009). If anyone can get the best out of playing Gerrard and Lampard together, then Capello is the man to do it.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline rafaelo

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 12:13:02 AM
For Argentina has a good team for front why the team at the back is very bad.
(but I think Brazil will exists for better tournament than they did in 2006)
I also think thus Beauty/Broken why here in Brazil  the people this talking very badly of the selection know that it is going to be difficult believe most in her.

I do not know what happened thought England could have played more, but it can be why I premiere of them or was will be that it was Beckham's Lack?

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 12:20:00 AM
Argentina have fantastic individual players, I thought Higuain was a bit isolated and often drifted into wide positions which is not his favored position.

It will be interesting to see how Capello reacts to tonight's somewhat uninspired performance. I believed Capello would be able to get the best from Lampard and Gerrard, but it seems that they both need to play in the hole behind the strikers to play to full effect (Lampard is not adept at playing the holding midfield role that is often occupied by Barry or Carrick). A possible solution is 4-4-1-1 with Gerrard just behind Rooney, but after seeing Heskey tonight, I am unsure if Capello would be willing to drop him. Rooney thrived on the 4-5-1 system at Man Utd this season, so I don't see why Capello doesn't attempt that with Joe Cole and Lennon on the wings?

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 05:35:38 PM
btw, please ban:

Fine if you blow on them during goals or celebrations, but not on a consistent level for 90 minutes non stop!

I think players like Messi and Xabi Alonso have already stated that team performances deteriorate due to not being able to communicate with each other over the vuvuzelas

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline rafaelo

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 07:17:04 PM
it is I want to see now how is be the game of the Germany is a team who taste see a lot play same without Ballack

Offline Neru

• Sunday Listener
  • Somewhere Between Here and There
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 07:27:23 PM
btw, please ban:

A Portuguese Gastop started selling these and I can tell you they are royal annoyance, I hope Vuvuzelas's are banned because even for those who watch the game on the TV is quite annoying, imagine in the actual Stadium.

The fact that I am a Copy of so many that I admire, makes me feel unique.

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 08:25:13 PM
it is I want to see now how is be the game of the Germany is a team who taste see a lot play same without Ballack

Ballack's injury is a blessing to the German team. Now everyone can see how good Mesut Ozil is.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline jaimex

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 09:27:47 PM
Totally agree that vuvuzelas are extremely annoying when used throughout the game, and I'm only watching on the telly. Imagine the folks in the stadium especially the players. It's taking the joy out of watching. We've tried watching by turning down the volume but without the commentary and the crowd, it's no fun either. Grrrr!

Offline rafaelo

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: June 13, 2010, 09:54:10 PM
I liked very of this selection of the germany Ozil that plays very our

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010, 07:43:42 PM
Asuka's Germany were really good last night. I'm glad Ozil lived up to his hype :)

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline ElefeX

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 08:14:22 PM
I have mixed opinions on the whole ban the vuvuzela debate. I personally do find them annoying but you sort of get used to them after a while.  I reckon its just part of the whole South African football experience and it would be a bit unfair to ban them completely - after all what is the point on having the world cup in different locations if you don’t allow the host countries to do what they normally do? However, on the other hand if it starts to interfere with gameplay then it is a problem, e.g. players not being able to hear the whistle – think this happened with Robin van Persie from the Netherlands today. FIFA should have sussed this all out before awarding South Africa the opportunity to host the world cup in the first place. The vuvuzela is not new in South African football and probably even formed part of their bid to host the world cup!

As for the world cup (ignoring the vuvuzelas) - I reckon Spain, Germany and the Netherlands all have a good shot. I would like Spain or the Netherlands to win because they haven’t won before. I would really love a true underdog team like Japan to win it but that is only the stuff of Disney movies! Haha.

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #29 on: June 14, 2010, 11:52:47 PM
The thing about the Vuvuzelas is the people who blow on it for 90 minutes non-stop. Great players like Messi have mentioned how they can't communicate with other players. I seriously think some people turn up just to blow on them rather than watch the match!

Also, I think I am the only one who is looking forward to New Zealand vs Slovakia :P

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm