• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

YOSHIKI and TOSHI at Japan Expo

Sander · 37096

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #30 on: June 10, 2010, 05:59:12 PM
I think Yoshiki and Toshi will be displayed in glass cabinets for 45 minutes ;)

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: June 10, 2010, 06:07:10 PM
I think Yoshiki and Toshi will be displayed in glass cabinets for 45 minutes

Hahaha  ;D

Well I am really wondering what they mean by showcase: translation gives me: vitrine!!!  ;D
So, that is very close by what you wrote...LOL

shane140

Reply #32 on: June 10, 2010, 06:38:25 PM
They will probably show a little sideshow of X to show people if they don't know who they are then do a few acoustic songs.

I think Yoshiki and Toshi will be displayed in glass cabinets for 45 minutes ;)

hahahaa, it wouldn't surprise me.

Offline Jorge

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 02:40:01 PM
Im a bit confused on whether they'll be there or not? To not have some lame video playing like last time.

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 05:02:21 PM
Yes of course they will come!!!
They announced it themselves.
And on JE you can read:
Un grand moment de musique acoustique
entre le piano de YOSHIKI et la voix de ToshI... à ne pas manquer !
Translation: a great acoustic music moment between Yoshiki's piano and ToshI's voice...don't miss it!
It is a showcase during 45 min.
Of course I don't know what they mean by showcase. But they will be there.

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #35 on: June 18, 2010, 08:36:17 PM
For those of you who're going, I really hope you'll be in Paris on Satuday evening already.... Yoshiki will be holding a signing session outside of Japan Expo.

http://www.xplosion-online.com/index.php/en/news/solo-projects/176-yoshiki-signing-session-at-fnac-paris-on-july-3rd

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: June 19, 2010, 11:58:49 AM
Fnac is open from 10 am. I will go to buy the dvd, but they give signing thing to the 150 first and I hear that some will be there lining from 7 am. So, I don't know...I want to visit Paris too...Lining for hours, I don't feel much to do that. Sunday at JE it will be lining too to enter Je and thereafter to enter the Live House, one day lining will be enough to me. But I will have a legal dvd, and see them in the showcase on sunday, that's enough to me!!!  ;)

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: June 21, 2010, 07:39:25 PM
Who from this forum will be in Paris? Like to meet them at JE.

Offline LebendenToten

• Sunday Listener
  • Who is your daddy and what does he do?
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: June 22, 2010, 06:10:13 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNeGNAzRVu4[/youtube]
just came across this, endless rain... in French!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 06:12:24 PM by LebendenToten »

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: June 22, 2010, 07:34:43 PM
Yes, let's exercise to sing the refrain with him, because that is what we'll gonna hear I suppose at JE. I find that their songs doesn't need translations, but, whatever, they do what they want, isn't it?
'Une pluie sans fin, tombe sur mon coeur,cicatrice de mon coeur, laisse moi oublier toute la haine, toute la tristesse ...'
Voila, I know it already to sing with them XD...I will do it 5 minutes in french, and 5 minutes in original version XD
Hope there will be other songs too, and not all in french...
But I find it very sweet of them to do that effort to do something in the language of the country where they perform. Very sweet and it must be heard though, because French isn'to so easy to pronounce I think for Japanese people.

Offline Astralmind

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 07:36:06 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNeGNAzRVu4[/youtube]
just came across this, endless rain... in French!

wait wait.. whaaaat ? haha.. ok that was... hmmm interesting! Japanese and French pronunciation have a lot in common. Why is the video ID as Jade though ? And will they translate the whole song ?

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: June 22, 2010, 07:44:37 PM
And will they translate the whole song ?

PLEASE NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: June 22, 2010, 08:47:50 PM
I appreciate what they are trying to do here, but honestly I think that music should transcend language alone. Anyone could translate 'Kurenai', but even if the translation is word perfect I think something is lost... The Japanese lyrics make the song what it is - not just the their meaning,

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: June 22, 2010, 09:02:36 PM
That's true, but I'm sorry, the majority of people in the U.S and U.K sadly don't think that way, so the songs are going to have to be entirely translated to english.

Same goes for France as well probably which is why they decided to translate the whole song.

Now to comment on something I'm suprised noone has yet, holy shit Toshi's voice!! Proof he hasn't lost any vocal range, also hearing him like this just shows how poor his voice is live the majority of the time since the reunion (sorry to say it but its true), Toshi needs to sound like this live, and the English version had better sound just as good as this.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:08:10 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: June 22, 2010, 09:24:04 PM
Toshi sounds really good in the video. Can any French speaking people tell how good his pronunciation is?

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: June 22, 2010, 09:59:49 PM
Generally the prounonciation is good.

Some things he failed a bit: 'cicatrice' : the r in cicatrice is pronounciated as 'L'
'oublier' and 'toute' he says 'u' instead of 'ou': the 'ou' has to be said as the 'ou' in youtube

But I hope he don't sing the whole song in french, just the chorus would be fine, like some said to show respect to his fans.

Me too, I prefer the original songs.

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: June 23, 2010, 05:13:40 AM
As I don't know French, I can't comment on the pronunciation, but I think that, in terms of sticking to the melody and rhythm, the lyrics are great. Ann1958, do they make sense?

Those of you who are going to see them at JE should be happy, looks like they are going to give a good performance.

...what are peoples opinions of Toshi's voice? He hits almost all of they notes, and it doesn't sound like a struggle but...he seems to be singing like he is...hmmm....restraining his voice?

PS...they should release an acoustic album of songs, they could have piano, violin and acoustic guitar, would be great! :D

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #47 on: June 23, 2010, 07:49:12 AM
Ooooh I totally agree with the accousic album. that would be really cool. :)
(LOL poor Heath would be left out on that though... )

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: June 23, 2010, 09:58:35 AM

...what are peoples opinions of Toshi's voice? He hits almost all of they notes, and it doesn't sound like a struggle but...he seems to be singing like he is...hmmm....restraining his voice?

He hits the high notes on the chorus perfectly, however its uncertain wether he'll be able to hit the highest notes on Forever Love, like "ai ga aru nara" and "all I see is blue in my heart", but this video gives me more hope that he can.

I want to talk about a couple of thing's about Toshi's current voice and I'm probably going to sound very picky to a lot of people, but I think its a very important thing when it comes to the ballads and rock songs, so try to understand what I'm saying. Also its going to be a massivily long post, sorry XD.

High notes is not the only thing Toshi does with his voice that makes the ballads unique and emotional, he also used to sing very softly in ballads like forever love and tears, which is imo one of the most vital things that gave these songs a unique sound and feel emotional, and unfortunatly Toshi doesn't sing like that anymore, he sings everything in falsetto now, listen to the majority of the times he's sung those songs and songs like it since the reunion, and another great example is his recent performance of 'Made in Heaven' from his last solo live, instead of the old way he used to sing it "We're the heaveeeen" very softly, Toshi now instead sings it like, we're the heeavU-U-U-U-U-n. and it didn't make it that good of a performance to me.

And he does it in Tears too, he now sings it like "sometimes the tears blinded the L-A-A-A-ve. Its irritating, because when I think of Toshi's voice during ballads, or when I think of the songs Tears and what its unique sound is, I think of that line "sometimes the tears blinded the love" and the way Toshi used to sing it/the studio version.

When I listen to the song in the new lives that feeling isn't there anymore because Toshi's singing style is different, it doesn't feel a lot like Tears to me anymore for some reason. And I'm worried about how this is going to affect the English rerecordings of the songs, will the new audience get the same feeling of the ballads we had, will they know that Toshi can sing like that (I guess they can by listening to the original version).

If Toshi sang Longing today it wouldn't sound anything like it used to.

As for the rock/metal songs like Weekend, Kurenai, X ect. I think Toshi is going to sing a lot of those songs with his raspy voice because he has been doing that most of the reunion, the problem I have with this is that Toshi's raspy voice sounds nothing like it used to, its not the same sound at all, in the early days it was a powerfully wild raspy sound, the best of all rock/metal singers imo.

Today Toshi sounds like he's just trying to impersonate that, not only that but its at a much lower range, and there's something else about it that makes it sound different from the old days, I know what it is but I can't find the words to describe it. The point is I don't want Kurenai, Weekend and X ect. butchered because his raspy voice does not sound anythig like it used to anymore.

There have only been a couple of instances I can confidently say he sounded like the old Toshi, a couple pf lines during Blue Blood at the countdown gig, and in his new song "Samurai Japan", all the main powerful lines such as "haita koto bushi marun daio" (I know its wrong but there's lyrics anywhere on the internet).

I know I sounded really nitpicky through that and have probably written things too complex, but I think these are important things when re recording these songs.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:42:52 AM by Ulquiorra »

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: June 23, 2010, 10:47:26 AM
^ I agree with everything you say! Yes, at times he screams the ballads XD...Forever Love would have been epic in Hong Kong if he wasn't screaming the lines before the crowd! As for the rock songs, I would so love it if he sang like he did in the 80's/very early 90's. Also, something I would love, is to be able to hear Endless Rain sang in his raspy voice like he did on Blue Blood and performances before....'93 I think?

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: June 23, 2010, 12:42:38 PM
The lyrics make sense. Slight adjustments of course to make it sound musical, but I'm pretty sure they hierd translators to do this.
Can you see Toshi with an English-French dictionary. "Now what is "Rain"??"

I'm not a fan of the 'lets translate all our great Japanese lyrics into random languages to please fans" concept. Spend more time planning concerts instead of translating lyrics!!! >_<

Well Toshi is going to have to learn some English for the U.S concert, we see how much he talks at X lives in intervals, though recently he's been talking for too long inbetween songs (though it was nessacery based on what he was talking about), for the tolerance of people in the U.S at the concert he'll have to talk a lot less.

Ugh, thinking about how much X has to change from what their usual live routine is like is doing my head in.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 01:32:37 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: June 23, 2010, 04:26:25 PM
Ann1958, do they make sense?
Like Ami said: they make good sense.

About ToshI's voice: Don't forget that ToshI is more then 10 years older than the time from where you compares his voice with. People changes, voices changes too. Logically his voice became more mature after all those years. You can't have the same voice your whole live. I like his voice very much as it is now. It is still one of the most beautiful voices I ever heard.

ToshI talks too much in concerts? I adore the talkings he do. I hope he keeps talking between songs.

Forever Love in Hongkong: I think it was his method to not cry while performing the song (like he did in Tokyo, that was very emotional and beautiful, but nobody likes to show his tears...). I saw everyone enjoying during that concert, so I see no problem. If you want listen to the perfect versions that you have in your head, than you can listen to the cd's.
Concerts are life events, and every event brings other feelings, so other performings too. That is what I like about X Japan, the feelings they show in concerts, they are REAL, not just puppets.

Can you see Toshi with an English-French dictionary. "Now what is "Rain"??"
That would be cool  ;D That should be comical songs...Standup comedy  :D

People changes during their life, and that is good too. You can enjoy the old X in cd's, dvd's etc...
And enjoy the X Japan at the age they have, more mature, but still very cool and unique!!!

I will enjoy every moment in Paris, and will sing along with them...And I hope to come back with many pictures...

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: June 23, 2010, 05:47:11 PM
Ann1958, do they make sense?
About ToshI's voice: Don't forget that ToshI is more then 10 years older than the time from where you compares his voice with. People changes, voices changes too. Logically his voice became more mature after all those years. You can't have the same voice your whole live. I like his voice very much as it is now. It is still one of the most beautiful voices I ever heard.

Yes I know that after ten years Toshi has learnt more vocal techniques and in some areas his voice has matured, and there's nothing wrong with adopting a new way of singing, but I just don't think he should replace an old style singing which was better, and better suited for ballads as well, and its not like singing softly is something he can't do anymore, he just decides not to do it anymore, and while I'm glad he's singing in different styles then he was before, I wouldn't erase something that not only have we gotten used too for many years but also fits the style of these ballads far more than the way Toshi sings them today.

We're talking about rerecordings here, the future of the band, how the U.S/Europe fans will experience and see Toshi's voice for years to come, its very important. Its best for a new audience to hear Toshi's voice the way that made him a legendary singer for ballads and rock songs, the same unique sound people for have always related with him.

This sounds like I'm contradicting what I said earlier about not minding wether Toshi has new styles of singing or not, and really I don't as long as they dont get in the way or ruin something that was amazing before, for example I think it would be great if Toshi's raspy voice was the same as in the old days, but at the same time have that new kind of growly scream/falsetto he does in I.V sometimes as well.

Also Toshi has improved his voice when he hits the high notes, he can hit the notes just as high, but it now sounds more powerful then before, when Toshi is good live he can project his voice a lot better than 13 years ago. Also recently Toshi has been experimenting with high pitched falsettos, something he never tried before and I hope now he perfects it, and I hope Born to be Free and whatever the new song is (hopefully not Without You) has some in it.

All know is, if the English versions of the ballads sound like "sometimes the Tears blinded the L-A-A-A-A-ve!" and "kowaresou n-A-A-Ah!" it wont sound as good and the U.S/UK fans wont know (unless they listen to the old versions) the way Toshi used to sing. I can't imagine Longing with toshi's new style of singing, Longing would just not work at all, singing softly is exactly the sound you relate to when you think of longing and no other style of singing fits that song, and Forever love is very similar to that as well.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 06:24:29 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: June 23, 2010, 06:55:11 PM
Ulquiorra, I understand your concern very good, but I think - knowing them- rerecordings will just be perfect  :D (or at least good enough to show people ToshI's possibilities)

And if not, Europeans (I am one by the way...) and USA or UK people, to who they will be introduced, will find the way to youtube and other stuff on the internet, and learn about the past...history, voice, etc...And if they don't, it is a sign they are not interested as intensively as we are in X.

What are you going to do about that? Accept how things will be. Enjoy life. Anyway, ToshI will sing how he wants to sing. Are you going to force him to sing like you want?  ;D :D
'Imagine know Ulquiorra with a revolver or another weapon to force ToshI to sing the way he wants it' LOL

But if, per coincidence, new fans come on this forum, they will know about ToshI's voice, be sure, they will know it thanks to you  ;)

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: June 23, 2010, 10:02:38 PM

What are you going to do about that? Accept how things will be. Enjoy life. Anyway, ToshI will sing how he wants to sing. Are you going to force him to sing like you want?  ;D :D
'Imagine know Ulquiorra with a revolver or another weapon to force ToshI to sing the way he wants it' LOL

Rofl, no I wont be going that far XD.

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: June 24, 2010, 06:23:03 AM
hey, I notice that the French Endless Rain is uploaded to a channel called xjapanTV. It also has the short clip of their lives with I.V. that's being used on the Lollapalooza site....is the channel official?

...I think it might be, cause as far as I know, thats were the French clip originated from...

Offline xjokerx

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: June 24, 2010, 12:00:52 PM
Ooooh I totally agree with the accousic album. that would be really cool. :)
(LOL poor Heath would be left out on that though... )

lol, there IS such thing as an accoustic bass and yeah accoustic album, why not :D 

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #57 on: June 25, 2010, 04:31:10 PM
hey, I notice that the French Endless Rain is uploaded to a channel called xjapanTV. It also has the short clip of their lives with I.V. that's being used on the Lollapalooza site....is the channel official?

...I think it might be, cause as far as I know, thats were the French clip originated from...
I also think it's an official channel, or at least created by the staff/management to be used as an official channel more in the future.

Then again, their close staff wouldn't title Endless Rain as Jade...

This is my administrator color.

Offline Jorge

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: June 27, 2010, 05:26:01 PM
Isnt it kind of weird that X is shooting the new PV on Thursday, yet Toshi and Yoshiki should be performing at J'expo only 3 days later... How about Jet lag and such? ;D

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: June 27, 2010, 05:32:08 PM
Oh don't worry, X have got the jetlag all planned out, how else were they going to transfer the X-Drama tradition to the US? (btw I'm not pissed off at all I'm only joking)

Edit:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-06-24/all-of-x-japan-stan-lee-to-attend-yoshiki-benefit

If this is true, could that potentially mean Yoshiki+Stan Lee= X Comic? I'm thinking this because that's what some people on xradicaldreamers started predicting, its got me worried XD.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 12:35:31 AM by Ulquiorra »