• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

THE Lollapalooza Thread!

AsukaMiyu · 106279

Offline anna_lepard

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #450 on: August 09, 2010, 01:23:24 PM
Not hide related i hope..  no more, please no more i have had enough of that !!!!

Offline Radi3nt

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #451 on: August 09, 2010, 01:34:00 PM
I wonder who played the solo for Rusty Nail, Sugizo or hide recorded track ?

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #452 on: August 09, 2010, 01:34:35 PM
I wonder who played the solo for Rusty Nail, Sugizo or hide recorded track ?

It was play-back from the Last Live.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #453 on: August 09, 2010, 01:41:26 PM
I don't see how they can keep doing this, its not right, they should just end the playback from now on, they brought hide to the US for their first show there ever, one of their most important shows in their carrier/the US. They don't need to keep using playback now, they need to stop.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #454 on: August 09, 2010, 01:48:54 PM
I don't see how they can keep doing this, its not right, they should just end the playback from now on, they brought hide to the US for their first show there ever, one of their most important shows in their carrier/the US. They don't need to keep using playback now, they need to stop.

They're toning it down. As far as I can gather, they used Hide's solo in Rusty Nail and Hide during Kurenai. Just be thankful they didn't bring a giant Hide plushie out at the end and masquerade around with it, the small one had been on stage since The Cribs played when Ryan Jarmin put it intop of his amp.

I've not yet read one review or heard one negative opinion from either non-X Japan fans who attended the show or American Press. Infact, if anything, the reviews have actually said it's quite touching to honor Hide in such ways - and have tended to focus more towards the oddity of fans cosplaying as him.

The only criticism of playback I've actually heard has came from existing X Japan fans. I'd even go as far as to say the American public have taken to their show more than the hardcore fans have. How's that for irony?

And even without Hide's parts, X Japan will always and always have used playback for Orchestral Elements or Piano/Drums when Yoshiki is unable to play one or the other.

Offline anna_lepard

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #455 on: August 09, 2010, 02:00:50 PM
Siguzo can handle the guitar there is no  need for playback. I don't know how to express what i feel.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #456 on: August 09, 2010, 02:00:53 PM

The only criticism of playback I've actually heard has came from existing X Japan fans. I'd even go as far as to say the American public have taken to their show more than the hardcore fans have. How's that for irony?

And even without Hide's parts, X Japan will always and always have used playback for Orchestral Elements or Piano/Drums when Yoshiki is unable to play one or the other.

Um,

1. The American public have never heard them before so they didn't even know it was playback, if they did, things would be different.

2. Yoshiki's situation is entirely different and Orchestral elements is also an entirely different thing from playing a guitar, I'm not expecting Yoshiki to play the drums, piano, and conduct a 50 man orchestra behind the stage at the same time, that's impossible. Is it too much to ask that the lead guitarist plays the solos? No, infact that should be the norm.

I don't know why you're giving excuses for a rock band to use playback.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #457 on: August 09, 2010, 02:06:08 PM

Um,

1. The American public have never heard them before so they didn't even know it was playback, if they did, things would be different

2. Yoshiki's situation is entirely different and Orchestral elements is also an entirely different thing from playing a guitar, I'm not expecting Yoshiki to play the drums, piano, and conduct a 50 man orchestra behind the stage at the same time, that's impossible. Is it too much to ask that the lead guitarist plays the solos? No, infact that should be the norm.

I don't know why you're giving excuses for a rock band to use playback.

1) A number of articles address the playback issue directly, and refer to it as being a touching tribute to hide.

2) It's still playback. X Japan can afford to put on lavish stage shows, why not hire session musicians to fill in on drums, piano or to play string sections? Most of X Japan's orchestral parts are actually quite simplistic, even a string quartet could pull off a decent rendition.

I don't know why you have such a stigma against the idea. I agree that as of the reunion Hide's use was pure over-kill. But they're backing away from it now, when I saw X Japan in 2008 his playback was featured in almost every song, his image and name appeared in every band lineup and they spent a million dollars to set up a damned hologram of him. At Lolla his image appeared once and playback was used only twice, they've brought in a second guitarist and now his image isn't included in the majority of band member pictures and literature. They're phasing him out. Trust me.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #458 on: August 09, 2010, 02:11:56 PM
Orchestral music is simply background music to what the musicians actually play, many power metal bands use it such as blind guardian.
The real instruments the musicians play are different, if they're not playing the actual instruments we're focusing on and paying attention to/pay
ing attention to their talent, then they might as well not even be there.

No its not that drastic yet as its only a couple of solos, I'm glad they played everthing else live, but still its not good.

Offline Astralmind

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #460 on: August 09, 2010, 03:33:34 PM
I liked that last article. It sounded sincere.. short and sweet. Good job. I hope the whole show got filmed properly, I'd love to watch it !

Offline XVikyX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #461 on: August 09, 2010, 04:18:53 PM
is there any probability that we'll be able to watch hq video of the show? that would be amazing *_*

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. (c)

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #462 on: August 09, 2010, 06:33:00 PM
I don't know why you have such a stigma against the idea. I agree that as of the reunion Hide's use was pure over-kill. But they're backing away from it now, when I saw X Japan in 2008 his playback was featured in almost every song, his image and name appeared in every band lineup and they spent a million dollars to set up a damned hologram of him. At Lolla his image appeared once and playback was used only twice, they've brought in a second guitarist and now his image isn't included in the majority of band member pictures and literature. They're phasing him out. Trust me.

In 2009, a year after the reunion, Sugizo is already a member and the 2009 Tokyo Dome concerts were totally disgusting due to massive mess and excessive hide footage instead of Sugizo playing (it was surely the WORST Dahlia performance EVER).

There is no excuse for using playbacks. Even more now that they have a real (and awesome) guitarist.

hide is not replaceable. But a guitarist is replaceable. Just this.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #463 on: August 09, 2010, 06:48:11 PM
Just read on youtube from someone who was there that X didn't play Tears, they simply played the new english studio recording while they walked off stage, which explains why the recording cut off at the end of the solo.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 07:09:59 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #464 on: August 09, 2010, 06:55:02 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/17386/189567

There's a HQ clip of Jade on Rolling Stone

Offline valkyrie

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #465 on: August 09, 2010, 07:14:53 PM
I was there. For the person who was saying the crowd looked small, I saw crowd footage on the screens and it looked like THOUSANDS. Far more than when they first started the set.

It was a goddamn good show, playback or not. BTW, did anyone notice Sugizo flinging his guitar down at a roadie - think it was during I.V. ? he looked pissed off.

Offline valkyrie

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #466 on: August 09, 2010, 07:18:33 PM
Also, the heart-shaped X "fans" just looked silly. I don't know who came up with that or the thundersticks for a giveaway, but it hardly helped this band's image in a cynical irony-soaked venue like Lollapalooza.

Also, you know the losers on boards who mocked the show yesterday will be someday be bragging how they say X Japan before they were famous.

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #467 on: August 09, 2010, 07:32:54 PM
Also, the heart-shaped X "fans" just looked silly. I don't know who came up with that or the thundersticks for a giveaway, but it hardly helped this band's image in a cynical irony-soaked venue like Lollapalooza.

Also, you know the losers on boards who mocked the show yesterday will be someday be bragging how they say X Japan before they were famous.

YES OMG I was arguing with some ignorant assholes on the Lolla forums way back when it was announced that X Japan would play. They bashed the fuck out of them and made tons of false/ignorant claims showing pics of them from the 80's and cracking jokes at how they will be an aftershow etc (Wait I'm sorry, I'm pretty sure X Japan was on the MAIN stage..ahem yea that's right) and some were moderators and admins who I would've thought would have some more respect...guess not. All I gotta say is FUCK them and I'd love to punch any of them who turn hypocritical and brag about seeing/being into X Japan before anyone else. Fuckers don't know that there's many people outside of Japan who have followed them SINCE the 90's and after.

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #468 on: August 09, 2010, 07:37:35 PM
I was there. For the person who was saying the crowd looked small, I saw crowd footage on the screens and it looked like THOUSANDS. Far more than when they first started the set.

It was a goddamn good show, playback or not. BTW, did anyone notice Sugizo flinging his guitar down at a roadie - think it was during I.V. ? he looked pissed off.

No way really? I'm trying to find that part..on the X JAPAN pt 4 Chicago..the side view from the balcony, what time is it at? I noticed a lot of running about from the stagehands and stuff both on Sugizo and two guys on Yoshiki at one point..weird.

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #469 on: August 09, 2010, 07:39:41 PM

Nice, do you know how far the crowd went back? it looked pretty sparse at the sides, but there is no footage/photos to indicate how far the crowd went back. It's a shame that the casual fans decided to see Yeasayer (who seemed pretty ordinary on the webcast) instead of X.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lollapaloozafest/4874581094/

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline valkyrie

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #470 on: August 09, 2010, 07:44:01 PM
I also posted some pics from the show here - I was maybe 6 people deep from the stage, but it was hard to get good shots with the cameraman's ass in the way, and everyone waving their arms and fistpumping - luckily I am a pretty tall Amazon girl :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/valkyrie_73/
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 07:52:45 PM by valkyrie »

shane140

Reply #471 on: August 09, 2010, 07:44:18 PM

Nice, do you know how far the crowd went back?
If you look at the screens on this vid, the crowd looks huge. But then again, it was when their set was ending.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kqzUrJ18Lk&feature=player_embedded#at=19[/youtube]

Offline valkyrie

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #472 on: August 09, 2010, 07:47:59 PM
Nice, do you know how far the crowd went back? it looked pretty sparse at the sides, but there is no footage/photos to indicate how far the crowd went back. It's a shame that the casual fans decided to see Yeasayer (who seemed pretty ordinary on the webcast) instead of X.

I really can't tell, I was one of those junkies who were about 20 feet from the stage, but my husband taped a couple songs, and some of the footage included the forementioned crowd shot on the jumbotron. I was quite surprised at all the people. I was expecting maybe 500 people behind me. I'll see if I can isolate it from the video later.

Now, how many of those people were there to secure spots for the next band is debatable, but the point is They. Were. There.

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #473 on: August 09, 2010, 07:49:50 PM
I think any experience of X is worth it. I was reading that some people were casually watching from the beer tents too.

By the way valkyrie, what other bands did you check out during the weekend?

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline valkyrie

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #474 on: August 09, 2010, 07:54:57 PM
I think any experience of X is worth it. I was reading that some people were casually watching from the beer tents too.

By the way valkyrie, what other bands did you check out during the weekend?

Tell the truth, I was there only for X, as I live in Chicago anyway. I talked to many fans from Iowa, California, even Japan, and they were all there just for X as well. Some of the other side acts looked interesting, but I had heat exhaustion after the X set and had to leave.

It was killer hot. One Asian guy passed out right in front of us before the show even started, and we all screamed for security who carted him away. Poor bastard never even saw Yoshiki testing the drums.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 07:57:25 PM by valkyrie »

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #475 on: August 09, 2010, 08:02:57 PM
Apparently the first two songs there wasn't that many people, then by the third song (kurenai) tons of people were there.

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #476 on: August 09, 2010, 08:13:48 PM
Apparently the first two songs there wasn't that many people, then by the third song (kurenai) tons of people were there.

That's a good thing! Better than the crowd going from large to small as the songs progressed. Seems like overall the feedback has been better than worse and people who've never seen them before have been saying they are insane, amazing, face-melting (LOL!!)

Offline valkyrie

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #477 on: August 09, 2010, 08:56:10 PM
Yeah, some non-fan guy was asking me the names of the songs, so he could tell his buddies he saw X Japan. Little by little, my friends.

Offline freshtofu

• Sunday Listener
  • yoran2009x
    • View Profile
    • my blog
Reply #478 on: August 09, 2010, 11:24:45 PM
I'm seeing more videos now and I'm more at eased knowing they were actually well received by the audience.. and there was quite a crowd too =) It surely provided the band the wide scale exposure they needed.

Offline valkyrie

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #479 on: August 10, 2010, 12:17:03 AM
I was apprehensive about going, fearing the bottle-chucking segment of music festivals would show up en masse, but the worst I heard was some guy ribbing his buddy with, "You gonna get an X Japan tattoo now, dude?" The band was well-received where I was standing.

Contrast this to when I saw Dir En Grey at a metal music festival in Wisconsin a few years ago - the sound was utter SHIT and the crowd was very disrespectful. Non-fans booed and ripped on the pockets of fans seated on the lawn. One chick stood up and gave the middle finger through an entire song. (I did get to body-slam her on the way out, so that was rewarding) Holy shit, I felt picked on. Didn't get that feeling at Lolla, but I was buttressed by tons of other X fans around me, too.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 12:18:50 AM by valkyrie »