• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

THE Lollapalooza Thread!

AsukaMiyu · 105803

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: June 09, 2010, 02:02:04 AM
Hmm...it would be quite interesting if they did a cut version of Art of Life...like a proper cut one that is rearrange to fit more of a 5 minute duration...and I don't mean using the Radio Edit version that they included on one of their compilation albums, but a ...nicely done one :D...I think that would go down well with the crowd!

Offline sora2252

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • twitter
Reply #61 on: June 09, 2010, 06:20:59 AM
There's always a possibility that they will have a whole new intro that we have not seen. If I was going to try and break into a new market I would find someway to bring them in with and intro more suited for American audience or just as sort of... "fresh start." Eh who knows they're going to kick ass no matter what!

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: June 09, 2010, 09:44:38 AM
They have to start of with something like Rusty Nail or Weekend, and please bring back the guitar intro to weekend, US rock fans much prefer that to just "weekend, weekend, weekend" playing several times.

Also in my opinion they can't have any kind of flashy opening in anyway, they've basically never been heard of before, so a big orchestral piece like amethyst or "X-Japan, Japan, Japan, Japan, Japan" ect. will just completely feel like majorly showing off. And the monster voice will just go down as "that sounds really lame".

They've just gotta walk on the stage, Toshi shouts to the audience a few times and then they play.

But with Yoshiki probably controlling this, even though the obvious answer is right in his face I think he'll do a big flashy opening anyway.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:47:04 AM by Ulquiorra »

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: June 09, 2010, 11:04:13 AM
^ Yea, flashy shouldn't be the way to go...only X fans can appreciate it.

shane140

Reply #64 on: June 09, 2010, 05:09:27 PM
I'm looking forward to see how this pans out,I just want them to play an all out Metal/Rock show, no ballads, they'll surely gain new fans by this and they can check out the ballads then.
And yeah, no cheesy opening, just get on and play, gives them more time.

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: June 09, 2010, 05:58:44 PM
LOL. Everybody's whishes  :D
But, they will do what they want... ;D
One thing is sure, there will be a new song: Born to be free...will it be a ballad...or will it be a wild one?
We have to patiently wait ...hope it will be on youtube on 8 august!!! I hope for a combination...a balladish intro and then going wilder  ;D

Damned, august is still far away.
But Paris is within a few weeks. Hope they will do Born to be free at Paris, Premiere for the European fans  :D

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: June 09, 2010, 07:20:51 PM
I.V & Jade are practially ballads already, and on top of that there's Without You, so I think its time for an upbeat rock song.

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #67 on: June 09, 2010, 07:59:14 PM
It's pretty much either Yeasayer or X Japan at that particular slot, the others are just too obscure to draw large audiences. Yeasayer will attract the younger more hipster fans who are looking to have a good time in the sun. X on the other hand will be looking to impress the curious and more mature audience demographic, particularly the people there to see Soundgarden. With Lollapalooza having a pretty diverse audience, I am fairly certain that they'll be just fine.

I think they will also take into consideration the pretty strict time scheduling provided to them by Lollapalooza, so they won't have ridiculously long intros/outros. I also hope Perry Farrell will give them some sort of introduction just to warm the crowd up, but the schedule leads me to believe he'll be over at the Kidzapalooza stage at 4pm :(

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #68 on: June 10, 2010, 11:59:43 AM
The what motorcycles? The only PV pictures we have yet are from Jade (that came with the LAWeekly interview during the January 9th PV shootings) and from Rusty Nail (that were leaked through the production company that took them down a few days after they were discovered :P ) :)

This is my administrator color.

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: July 31, 2010, 02:38:17 AM
The X Japan TV channel on YouTube has just uploaded an interview with Yoshiki, done by Perry Farrell...well...Perry does more talking...but it is an excellent video to display what X Japan has to offer!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6jaYJQUqBg&playnext=1&videos=c93SXCZ7HBI[/youtube]

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #70 on: July 31, 2010, 09:16:11 AM
"Perry talking about X in Yoshiki's presence" would be more fitting xD
Anyway, maybe people are more likely to give them a chance when they hear something of Perry himself, who they "trust", and not just some random band... *drop*

I wonder where that video will be posted, since it's targented to the AMERICAN audience...

...that Perry Farrell guy reminds me of someone... <><>;;;
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 09:19:57 AM by AsukaMiyu »

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #71 on: July 31, 2010, 12:30:00 PM
...that Perry Farrell guy reminds me of someone... <><>;;;

The lead singer of Jane's Addiction, maybe? xD

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: July 31, 2010, 12:33:36 PM
Just maybe ;)

JA is pretty cool, especially since Duff joined them.

Offline Tanabata

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #73 on: August 01, 2010, 12:28:32 AM
Oops, stuffed up last post.

Wanted to say that I too thought Yoshiki hardly said a word...just played with his hair (as usual!).

We are X!!!!!

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: August 01, 2010, 12:59:11 AM
just played with his hair (as usual!).
    :D   Priceless!!!

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: August 02, 2010, 05:11:09 PM
I *might* have just found a good radio broadcast for the concert, maybe not because some of the info is confusing and contradictional.

http://loyolastudentdispatch.wordpress.com/2010/08/02/wluw-to-broadcast-live-at-lollapalooza/

That says the wluw 88.7 radio station will be airing live on all three days from 11:AM to 7:pm, there are lots of sites whch say this.

Then again on their official website http://www.wluw.org/

I'm looking on the official site, in shows/events and the only info I can see on lollapalooza is coverage on after shows and August 8th doesn't seem to have any airing planned for lollapalooza at all, so this is contradicting and confusing.

I'm not even entirely sure they'll be broadcasting the main stage, I assumed they would be, since its the 'main stage', but there was a quote somewhere about it featuring DJ's and live peformances from acts at lolla, so I'm not entirely sure what they'll be broadcasting there.

But anyway, just incase, here's the wluw 88.7 broadcast http://www.streamingthe.net/WLUW-88.7-FM-Chicago/p/8675
just click on the big "Listen Now  WLUW 88.7 FM Chicago - USA" near the top and the player will load.

This is the best place I could find it, if other people could help find sites hosting the wluw 88.7 broadcast (I've looked at wluw.org and i don't see it there, or is it that player at the top of the page?) that would be awesome.

Not entirely sure wether they'll end up broadcasting X Japan from 4-5:00pm or not, but this is here just incase.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 05:20:22 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #76 on: August 03, 2010, 02:44:39 AM
Lollapalooza should upload that Perry Farrell video on their website. Perry is like God to the Lollapalooza crowd and it would certainly increase the interest in X Japan.

I've had a look at the stages and schedules again and it seems very segregated in terms of music preference. Basically one side of the venue you have the new indie bands, the type of artists you associate with the younger audiences (MGMT, Arcade Fire, Yeasayer). It's also a trend now that people 'camp' to secure good slots for the later bands and I think this is a shame that perhaps the younger audience won't have a chance to see X as they're either pre-occupied with Yeasayer or camping for one of the headliners. That being said, I am sure they'll great a great reception from the Soundgarden fans who will no doubt be camping near X's stage.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline Wakyan*

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #77 on: August 03, 2010, 04:33:43 AM
Thanks Ulquiorra!  ;D

This helps...I really wish I could go! :(

Stop my tears. Stop my loving. Kill my memories.

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #78 on: August 03, 2010, 07:01:43 AM
countdown5 days to go

Ex denxdenx

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #79 on: August 04, 2010, 12:54:14 AM
bad news. The Aol webcast has decided to broadcast Yeasayer instead :(

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline anna_lepard

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #80 on: August 04, 2010, 09:10:30 AM
Is there a way to see the concert in japan? 
Or  we have to wait for youtube? (if there  gonna be  video)
i hope  this won't end  is one big fail.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: August 04, 2010, 11:18:13 AM
For fun, and seriousness I'm going to post a list with explanations of what I think X shouldn't do at lollapalooza

1.No big introduction "x-japan japajapanjapanjapanjapan ect." & "members are heathpatatoshisugizo aaaaaaand on drums and pianooooooo *DRUMROLL* YOSHIKI.

2. Don't overplay the ballads, not only is this the US's first time seeing X and therefore they don't have a connection with them, but the US do prefer rock songs over sad songs, play just one or two, and even then one of them should be something small like say anything or unfinished.

3. Don't wear any lipstick or white fluffy dresses, the reason for this is obvious.

4. Now maybe this one I'm exagurating since I can't remember how many times this happens at their concerts, but tone down the spinning piggyback rides/rolling around on the floor with eachother and all that XD, especially at the end of the concert.

5. Don't do five minute mc speeches, there's no time for that and everyone would get bored quickly.

6. No hide playback, people would be like "WHAT THE HELL!?!".

As you can see there are a lot of reasons why I'm nervous, though Yoshiki & Sugizo's interview at otakon does make me feel confident that a couple of those things wont happen.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 11:26:31 AM by Ulquiorra »

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
  • [X Japan] and [Harry Potter] obsessed.
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: August 04, 2010, 12:57:13 PM
I'm bored so I'm doingthis...:

For fun, and seriousness I'm going to post a list with explanations of what I think X shouldn't do at lollapalooza

1.No big introduction "x-japan japajapanjapanjapanjapan ect." & "members are heathpatatoshisugizo aaaaaaand on drums and pianooooooo *DRUMROLL* YOSHIKI.

I kinda find this annoying, they should cut it from all the lives...XD That japanjapanjapan thing makes me wanna punch people...XD

2. Don't overplay the ballads, not only is this the US's first time seeing X and therefore they don't have a connection with them, but the US do prefer rock songs over sad songs, play just one or two, and even then one of them should be something small like say anything or unfinished.

Personally I'd be satisfied with 50%-50%....I'm sure they'll play Endless Rain anyway and Forever Love most likely since Sugizo and Yoshiki performed it at Otakon. Rusty Nail, Jade and I.V. are certain in my book too. Most likely X and Kurenai as well...? They only have 1 hour, right?...*amnesiac*

3. Don't wear any lipstick or white fluffy dresses, the reason for this is obvious.

I'm sure they will wear make up but maybe a little bit more toned down? Well, lipstick and fluffy/frilly dresses are part of the band though....right?...:-/ If they are gonna change everything.....

4. Now maybe this one I'm exagurating since I can't remember how many times this happens at their concerts, but tone down the spinning piggyback rides/rolling around on the floor with eachother and all that XD, especially at the end of the concert.

I'd say they do it all the time...or at least they do it in everything I've seen on video. And to be honest I love it. All in all, I love seeing bands acting liker retards/5 year olds on stage.

5. Don't do five minute mc speeches, there's no time for that and everyone would get bored quickly.

Nah, theydon't have time for that.....right?..o_o;

6. No hide playback, people would be like "WHAT THE HELL!?!".

I think there might be some hide playback but maybe not much...

Anyway, I actually believe that the majority of the people there will be X fans anyway sooooo....o_O
I mean, it's not as if they will be playing for a public fully consisted of people that know absolutely nothing about them. Though, making a good impression on those people is definitely important...

Yeah, I'm a Yoshiki fangirl. SUE ME.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: August 04, 2010, 01:38:43 PM
I just hope they don't try to pull any over indulgent audience participation stunts, like they do with I.V. and Endless Rain (A.K.A having the crowd sing the refrain for like 10 minutes). For those who have never seen the band before and know nothing of their songs, it's just going to come across badly.

I think that as long as they're not heckled or bottled by the audience I think it will be a relatively successful gig. Let's face it, Lolla and X Japan aren't exactly a match made in heaven. I think a more rock or metal orientated festival would have probably been a better starting ground.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #84 on: August 04, 2010, 01:45:47 PM

I'd say they do it all the time...or at least they do it in everything I've seen on video. And to be honest I love it. All in all, I love seeing bands acting liker retards/5 year olds on stage.

Yeah I know, perfectly fine at the lives in japan, I'm merely talking about what'll go down well at lollapalooza. I'm also worried about Pata making nervous mistakes.

As for them being recieved better at a rock/metal concert, well with X's style right now I think the complete opposite, they should stay well away from metal/rock festivals with their current setlist. Lollapalooza is a concert for a variety of genres so they have a much better chance there.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 01:52:54 PM by Ulquiorra »

shane140

Reply #85 on: August 04, 2010, 01:46:23 PM
I think a more rock or metal orientated festival would have probably been a better starting ground.
I absolutely agree, a slot at the Sonisphere festival would have been good.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: August 04, 2010, 01:58:48 PM

Yeah I know, perfectly fine at the lives in japan, I'm merely talking about what'll go down well at lollapalooza. I'm also worried about Pata making nervous mistakes.

As for them being recieved better at a rock/metal concert, well with X's style right now I think the complete opposite, they should stay well away from metal/rock festivals with their current setlist. Lollapalooza is a concert for a variety of genres so they have a much better chance there.

I disagree. Rock and metal festivals host bands ranging from the likes of Linkin Park to Motley Crue to Slayer, I think X Japan's catalog fits much more nicely within that demographic than the predominant range of stoner rock, funk and indie which Lolla largely caters for.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #88 on: August 04, 2010, 04:01:37 PM
I think they're going to play Tears, that's the ballad Yoshiki keeps mentioning in interviews being on the album the most. Why do I feel like its going to be embarrasing and awkward when the music cuts and Yoshiki's there on his own going "I shall try to live, with love, with dreams", I'm just getting a major geeeh feeling, this isn't going to go well.

Offline Ashemanu

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #89 on: August 04, 2010, 04:31:37 PM
Ulquiorra, I am afraid you will be seriously disappointed SHOULD it go well in spite of all your prophecies of epic failure :)