• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

THE Lollapalooza Thread!

AsukaMiyu · 106196

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 02:13:43 AM
It seems a lot of X Japan fans are posting on the Lollapalooza artistpage. The X page has more comments than the Lady Gaga one! Although I think a majority of the posters will not be going to Lollapalooza but instead are just showing their support for X and wishing them luck.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 04:13:36 AM
It seems a lot of X Japan fans are posting on the Lollapalooza artistpage. The X page has more comments than the Lady Gaga one! Although I think a majority of the posters will not be going to Lollapalooza but instead are just showing their support for X and wishing them luck.

I am quite impressed with the comments actually. Sure, probably most of them won't be from people going to the show, but it is support from all over the world! If you look at the other artists pages, none of them....(ok I am basing this on checking the biggest named bands....) have as many comments as X, yet surely they have more fans from around the world...maybe this says something about X fans?

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 04:21:58 PM
That is true, but X fans are different from let's say..Arcade Fire fans. Most of the Arcade Fire fans (and there are A LOT of them) won't even bother visiting the Lollapalooza site as simply they are fans of the music more than of the individual. I'm a big Arcade Fire fan but I haven't even left them a message, it's just the way most fans act when it comes to bands like these. On the otherhand, if an artist such as Miley Cyrus were to perform (god forbid) it would certainly attract another type of audience who will no doubt spam the Lollapalooza page with comments such as "Mileypalooza".

Also does anyone know anything about hide and his relation to the band Jane's Addiction?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 04:29:19 PM by TG »

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline purplexpride

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 04:49:50 PM
Hide is a huge fan of Jane's Addiction.

I left my comment on Lollapalooza's X Japan, too. You know what. Someone could get a chance to show on the big event easily becoz they's born on land of good chance and their language is international. But, some must tried their best difficultly to get a chance to stand on a show. As an Asian guy, it's really hard to break international market. Yoshiki has learning English so hard to get into World-Wide Music scene. He's struggled in USA for 10s years. This is the beginning of his dream comes true, to show his ability to the world. USA is liked a mega capital of entertainment world. So, I want to show my support and so many another fans.

Maybe, you need some background story of the band to understand its fans.

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 05:33:15 PM
Is anyone here:'Yanuardila Liwang'. If so then thanks for posting my article on the Lollapalooza page :)

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 06:26:29 PM
Yes. Look at Jade, "recording" for more than an year and we don't have even a single yet.
You mean the one that just recently didn't have any recorded drums because Yoshiki had a 'small' neck problem? ;)

This is my administrator color.

Offline Wearex316

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • MYSPACE
Reply #36 on: April 09, 2010, 12:38:48 AM
Is anyone here:'Yanuardila Liwang'. If so then thanks for posting my article on the Lollapalooza page :)

he hasnt commented in here yet but thats Ba-DiL

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: April 09, 2010, 09:43:25 AM
http://midnightinaperfectworld.wordpress.com/2010/04/04/the-x-japan-guide-for-lollapalooza/

I'm assuming this is your article, if so I suggest you put the information about hide before the videos, because the way the info is laid out in the article so far, there's no mention of hide to anyone who's never heard of the band before, and then they watch the Rusty Nail video, and suddenly this random person with pink hair appears on a huge monitor playing a guitar solo.

Offline Menacia

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: April 09, 2010, 10:15:29 AM
over all a nice article. But indeed hide should be mentioned earlier.

I recommend adding in the member line up: "Sugizo fills the empty spot that was caused by the death of former lead guitar player hide in 1998. The band continues to show footage of him and sometimes use recordings of his guitar solos via playback, to pay homage to him and his fans."
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 10:22:35 AM by Menacia »

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #39 on: April 09, 2010, 03:54:16 PM
The purpose of the article is not to dwell on history or the band, it's an introduction to the band's music. If they are interested in the history of the band then they can read up about it later on. I understand the importance of hide, but I don't want to draw the attention away from the actual Lollapalooza show and turn it into a "X Japan for Beginners" guide. I think if anyone was curious about the pink haired guitarist then they would read my small blurb at the bottom and either; leave a comment or do their own research.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: April 09, 2010, 09:03:21 PM
Yes. Look at Jade, "recording" for more than an year and we don't have even a single yet.
You mean the one that just recently didn't have any recorded drums because Yoshiki had a 'small' neck problem? ;)

No. I mean that one that Yoshiki was always saing that "we are working on a new song" since right after 2008 Tokyo Dome concerts. Isn't it enough?

I still have a little, almost unexisting hope, that Sugizo would be a REAL member of the band, not just a shadow for hide. Really really hope.

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: April 10, 2010, 11:41:23 AM
Hehe, 4600 fans "going" to watch X Japan....they now have more than Green Day...sure most of those 4600 are probably not even going to be in the country, let alone at Lollapalooza....but this is great!!! :D It will definitely draw attention to them.

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: April 10, 2010, 01:24:55 PM
Hehe, 4600 fans "going" to watch X Japan....they now have more than Green Day...sure most of those 4600 are probably not even going to be in the country, let alone at Lollapalooza....but this is great!!!  It will definitely draw attention to them.
Yes, I am one of those, and indeed I can't go  ;D
But still hoping after that it will bring them to Europe...There I can go to see them...

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #43 on: April 10, 2010, 03:48:02 PM
Maybe the amount of people "going" to watch X Japan will ultimately decide their slot at Lollapalooza ;)

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #44 on: April 17, 2010, 02:46:58 PM
Okaaaay, we thought it might be helpfull to gather all the questions what X fans have been asking at one place... so if there's anything you'd like to know, check out the Lollapalooza FAQ on Xplosion Online. :)

http://www.xplosion-online.com/index.php/en/lollapalooza-faq

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline Ba-DiL

• Fan
  • We are X !
    • View Profile
    • My Friendster account
Reply #45 on: April 28, 2010, 04:51:08 AM

Hi there ;D

thanX for making up such a good article ;)

none of your business ...

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #46 on: May 20, 2010, 11:10:47 PM
Stages/Time slots will be revealed on June 8th according to the Official Lollapalooza Facebook page.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline ahmah

• View Profile
Reply #47 on: May 23, 2010, 04:25:01 PM
Not sure if you caught Yoshiki the Anime Central recently but he announced that they are playing on 8 Aug, 2nd last performer on the main stage. Too bad I can't fly all the way to the US but to everyone that's going, Yoshiki said they'll "kick ass"! Will be great!!

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #48 on: May 23, 2010, 09:20:55 PM
There are two main stages (plus about 4-5 more) at Lollapalooza, after and before whom they play and who plays at the same time as them will have a huge impact on how many people will see them. So I'm still waiting for the schedule release date :)

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #49 on: June 08, 2010, 05:13:20 PM
The schedule is out - http://2010.lollapalooza.com/events/2010/08/08

X Japan will play on the southern main stage at 4pm-5pm (about 45 minutes of play time) between The Cribs and Wolfmother (between them on the side stage there will be Minus the Bear and Erykah Badu). The final band of the night on that stage is Soundgarden with Cypress Hill on the sidestage before it.

At the same time as X, on the northern main stage on the other side of the festival is Yeasasyer. Bands to follow Yeasayer on the side- and mainstages are Mutemath, MGMT, The National and Arcade Fire.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: June 08, 2010, 07:06:56 PM
Sorry if I'm jumping the gun here, and remember this is just a feeling I have, I'm not accusing or saying this IS what they're doing yet, but with only 45 minutes of performing, if they're just turning up there to basically promote their three new songs and then Rusty Nail, Endless Rain, not only does that feel like a really boring setlist to me, but in my opinion it just feels like "we've got to hide all traces that our music ever used to sound heavy at all, don't want to upset the current US market now do we".

I could still be wrong because those five songs actually only add up to about half an hour.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 07:22:34 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline Menacia

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: June 08, 2010, 07:30:27 PM
45 mins for X JAPAN ...well, I'm not saying they can't pull this one off, but we all now that they need their time.
I'm curious about the setlist, oh and PLEASE somebody, anybody who is going, tape it. PLEASE!!! I want to see it. We all want!!

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #52 on: June 08, 2010, 07:51:21 PM
Ulquiorra, I can't think of any band, that used to play really heavy stuff ~20 years ago, has a first-time concert with a totally new festival crowd where they only have 45 minutes and would start going over their history. To cover all of it properly would take them at least a 2-day concert series. And we all know they aren't playing their oldest songs any more (except for the obvious Kurenai, X, etc).

I see the setlist as something like this:

1. Amethyst ~SE~ (short version) ~1min
2. Rusty Nail (English version) ~6min
4. JADE ~7min
5. I.V. (no intro version) ~6min
6. Tears ~7min
7. Born To Be Free ~7min
8. Kurenai (Sugizo on violin intro) ~10min
9. X ~10min

And they are already 10 minutes over the 45minute limit. Yoshiki will throw roses in the end and the security will drag him away to make room for the next act.

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #53 on: June 08, 2010, 08:03:31 PM
And they are already 10 minutes over the 45minute limit. Yoshiki will throw roses in the end and the security will drag him away to make room for the next act.

ROFL :D

And I agree with Hypno... I don't think X are doing anything uncommon when they simply play the songs they always play nowadays (also in JAPAN, so it doesn't have much to do with the US) The only things they'll probably do differently will be
1) less ballads; it's a festival afterall!
2) sing (mostly) in english, which isn't a problem for me either. Remember, their first songs used to be mostly "english" aswell :P (took me years to notice that for some of them... ... ...)

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: June 08, 2010, 08:13:05 PM

The next act is only an hour later. So they can do still  longer, two songs more at least!!!

Wished science was more advanced, so that I could be there at Lollapalooza , just by thinking on it and without need of plane or money  :D

Who is going?

Offline peso

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: June 08, 2010, 08:29:06 PM
Possible setlist

Amethyst (5-6min)
Rusty Nail (about 5min)
Toshi speaking (5-10min)
Drum Solo (20min) and fainting of course
-------------Encore (10-15min of nothing)
Say Anything (SE)

They're sure to break to US market with that setlist

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #56 on: June 08, 2010, 08:36:15 PM
Well the next band on the main stage will start later, yes, but one will start on the sidestage at 5pm. The stages are situated so that there are two main stages and two sidestages near the main ones and bands take turns on them (that means, one band on the main stage, after that one on the side stage, then one on main, then on the side, etc etc). And I imagine they'll be pretty tough enforcing that rule (I have the impression they usually are). However, I don't think it'll stop them from going 10 minutes over :D

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #57 on: June 08, 2010, 09:02:29 PM
Clash with Yeasayer :(

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: June 08, 2010, 10:13:28 PM
Hmm, I don't see a problem if they play only their new songs and Rusty Nail and Endless Rain, remember they are trying to get into a new market, so even if their fans have heard these songs over and over, their potential fans haven't heard them at all, and I think all of them are good songs!

Also, I don't think they are in anyway trying to hide the fact that they used to play heavier rock, simply, I don't think that is a huge part of X Japan anymore. Why introduce a new audience to Blue Blood, Standing Sex, or Stab Me In The Back when, in light of their recent compositions and setlists, it doesn't seem they will be performing these types of songs. (Perhaps...we will see).

Also, if they have only ~45mins, I don't think they should bother with Amethyst, they could spend that time playing a whole song! And I don't think they should start off with The Last Song either. To X Japan fans, that song means a lot but to people unfamiliar with the band....interesting.... Just what I think ;)

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #59 on: June 08, 2010, 10:32:18 PM
I agree. Playing old songs will just deceive new fans.

And the Amethyst I suggested was a short cut from it, to "lead them in". But I guess a short World Anthem might even be better...