• Welcome to the X FREAKS forum!
    Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

THE Lollapalooza Thread!

AsukaMiyu · 106287

Offline LebendenToten

• Sunday Listener
  • Who is your daddy and what does he do?
    • View Profile
Reply #420 on: August 09, 2010, 04:28:13 AM

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #421 on: August 09, 2010, 04:42:59 AM
SICK pictures, /drool at the HDness. BTW, has anyone noticed that the way Toshi sings the part "Goes away with me" in Jade @ 1:45 in those new video's just posted to be different than ever before? He sings that part really quick and all together kind of. I dunno, I dissect their music so much it's almost a bad thing lol but plz tell me someone else notices that so I don't think I've gone crazy. Also, I really think he's been working hard on his English pronunciation. @ 1:58 where he says "Fallen angels" the way he says angels sounds very north american. It must be really hard for him to have been swapping back and forth and learning these songs in diff. languages.

Offline sai

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #422 on: August 09, 2010, 04:54:26 AM
I really think he has.

Also, Toshi in general sounded really strong. I'm not used to that. After listening to all the lives in their last few years, there was a lot of problems with being able to stay on note with Toshi. I mean, running around like a loon or not, it was a little more off. This performance was really, really good in that regard. It was very tight and I thought it was one of their better lives in a technical sense.

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #423 on: August 09, 2010, 05:00:08 AM
Yea and if we are noticing this through bits and pieces of footage, it must have been reallllly good. Yoshiki was on fire on the drums, his fills were disgusting and he was all over it. The play was real tight all around...I'm starting to become really jealous of those fortunate people who were there! I'm friggen itching to hear the new album omggggg

Offline sai

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #424 on: August 09, 2010, 05:02:57 AM
I know. Now I'm just hoping they put out the day that album's due so I can come up with the money for it. Seriously, I'm expecting awesomeness to seep out of every little plastic pore.

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #425 on: August 09, 2010, 05:05:40 AM
Also, I'm kind of surprised Yoshiki hasn't posted a follow up message on his Twitter. I guess he's just exhausted and is already being swept off to Japan for Yokohama lives. I'm scared he's going to overdo it again during those 2 nights. I think he knows now though that since he's already put so much into breaking into North America that he has to take it easy to fulfill this World Tour. He's mad for planning this Nissan live not even a week after Lolla!! LOL

Offline sai

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #426 on: August 09, 2010, 05:14:37 AM
Let's be honest--he's probably getting very drunk right now with a bunch of pretty girls. Guy deserves it, too. That was one hell of a concert.

I imagine he's going to pace himself this time, as well as wearing his brace. That'll keep him from pulling his neck again, at least making it a little harder for him to do. I want him to space the American tour well enough that he give himself and the rest of the band breathing time. I mean, one concert a week. None of this one after the next. I saw that Miyavi did a (I think six?) day non-stop tour and he was passing out quite a bit the last two days. According to his concert footage, they had to pull him off stage. And realize this-- that guy's still in his 20s.

I love X Japan, but they're not in their twenties anymore. They need to keep themselves from croaking. Seriously, I want my future kids to be able to see these guys live in 20 years. I know they'll still be rocking even then.

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #427 on: August 09, 2010, 05:19:43 AM
LOL you're totally right. As long as he takes care of himself and wears the brace, I think everything will go well. I actually didn't know that about Miyavi. That's insane...6 days non stop, eupphhh...

Offline freshtofu

• Sunday Listener
  • yoran2009x
    • View Profile
    • my blog
Reply #428 on: August 09, 2010, 05:30:45 AM
Intro and Rusty Nail

Offline LebendenToten

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #429 on: August 09, 2010, 05:40:27 AM
^ Poor Pata's guitar strap came undone right when he hit the first chord, d'oh!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:44:04 AM by LebendenToten »

Offline sai

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #430 on: August 09, 2010, 05:42:59 AM
Alas, technical difficulties sometimes suck. Seriously, poor Pata. He got back on track real quick, though.

Offline Radi3nt

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #431 on: August 09, 2010, 06:17:16 AM
As i can see, there wasn't so many people doing the X Jump. Btw, any link for X ? There's only a half song video on youtube.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #432 on: August 09, 2010, 06:42:07 AM
Is it just me, or do you think they have toned down visually somewhat? Especially Heath, I don't think he's even wearing basic makeup.

Offline LebendenToten

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #433 on: August 09, 2010, 06:43:17 AM
These videos give you a better perspective of the crowd :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuJAyEt4p7M[/youtube]

2:00 on the large screen

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl34BP4X2cM[/youtube]
(warning this video is extremely noisy)

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #434 on: August 09, 2010, 07:14:14 AM
X Japan are mentioned in one sentence at the end of the MTV Article:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1645346/20100809/soundgarden.jhtml

Also, from watching the videos, it's fairly and plainly obvious that a large swathe of the audience which was in attendance when the set started had left by the time I.V. was played.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 07:23:25 AM by Beauty/Broken »

Offline Wakyan*

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #435 on: August 09, 2010, 08:01:07 AM
X Japan are mentioned in one sentence at the end of the MTV Article:

This is from the article: "schizophrenic jumps from the over-the-top theatrics of X Japan"
That doesn't sound nice.
Enthusiastic maybe but SCHIZOPHRENIC? IDK.

Anyway, they did a fantastic performance....and they looked like thEy had a great time!

WE ARE X!!!!

Stop my tears. Stop my loving. Kill my memories.

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #436 on: August 09, 2010, 08:06:36 AM
 yoshiki wearing neck brace again., also the did put hide doollllll on the stage, nice one

Ex denxdenx

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #437 on: August 09, 2010, 08:15:01 AM
I think overall it's been an absolute success for X Japan.

There was a relatively good turn-out, a strong supporting contingent and they also made a fairly good impression onto those who have never heard of them before. Watching those MTV interviews yesterday, both Wolfmother and Switchfoot both commented on how fantastic X Japan were sounding. I'm still waiting for more press to become available, but from what I can gather the general consensus is positive. A review which criticised a band for "sounding 1982" isn't really negative in my eyes - that's like saying that U2 are bad live because they sound like an 80's band.

From watching the videos back I think it's also pretty plain to see that they were all very nervous. Yoshiki messed up on drums more times in a show than I've ever seen, Heath was also particularly sketchy and Pata had a little scare at the start of the show when his guitar strap came loose. I suppose it's nice to see that despite their godly-rockstar status and no matter how many times they have headlined Tokyo Dome, doing something like this they're merely mortals like the rest of us.

It was also nice to see Yoshiki wearing his neckbrace for once, especially given that he was instructed 14 years ago to never play drums without them. Perhaps the myriad of operations has finally gotten through to him that he needs to start to take care of his body a little more if he wishes to have any prolonged career in music.

I also noticed that Heath has toned his visuals down dramatically, to the point of not even wearing makeup. Why?!? Since X Japan reunited he has always looked fantastic, perhaps nerves got the better of him in that he didn't know how it would be received by Americans and as such he decided to play it safe. Sugizo was looking as visual as ever, and Toshi was sporting his new cyber-suit look from the January filming events (personally I prefer his Tokyo Dome 2009 attire).

Offline anna_lepard

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #438 on: August 09, 2010, 08:25:49 AM
Yesterday my friends and i where not able to view this site at all. It said server to busy  more people with this problem?
Wow x kicked some ass i watch youtube video's and they did a good job.  but what was wrong with Heath forgot to bring his make-up with him?

Offline peso

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #439 on: August 09, 2010, 08:38:44 AM
LOL you're totally right. As long as he takes care of himself and wears the brace, I think everything will go well. I actually didn't know that about Miyavi. That's insane...6 days non stop, eupphhh...

What's wrong with Japanese artists if they can't play 6 days in a row?
Iron Maiden did alsmot 200 concerts in 11 months and according to some tour diaries usually they did 6 concerts a week. Short breaks when they changed the continent. Now that's a way to do a world tour.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #440 on: August 09, 2010, 08:40:41 AM
Rusty Nail-best quality I think. I also think this is the best that Toshi has ever sung Rusty nail, in all previous live versions he's never projected his voice as powerfully as the studio version, he doesn it perfectly here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ginny143#p/u/5/VWpaWf7VnXQ (have to post it like this, embedding it wont work for some reason)

Jade-infinantly better than the tokyo dome lives, but I think I heard Toshi struggle a little in a coupole of areas, and his voice was too high pitched at points.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnZJE-rE4Zc[/youtube]

Kurenai-the english lyrics are a mix of the old english lyrics "in the crowded street, you're standing alone" and new ones.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TI4qNh05Ck[/youtube]

I.V

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ginny143#p/u/1/s-N74cXgs8A (embedding wont work)

X

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kqzUrJ18Lk[/youtube]

"on guitar hide!!"

oh....what the hell are you doing!?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:35:31 AM by Ulquiorra »

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #441 on: August 09, 2010, 10:56:40 AM

This is my administrator color.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #442 on: August 09, 2010, 11:00:46 AM
"the quintet launched into "Voiceless Screaming"

Oh dear, that mistake is going to trick some X fans and really piss them off. Apart from that, an extremly good article, and from a site that is actually going to get views.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:04:29 AM by Ulquiorra »

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #443 on: August 09, 2010, 11:34:39 AM
Someone has uploaded an excellent video of Rusty Nail.....it also includes the best view of poor Pata's guitar strap braking....what a dude though!

Offline nemetroid

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #444 on: August 09, 2010, 11:55:02 AM
I think they should've released the English version of Rusty Nail beforehand. It's really great if everyone (hell, anyone) can sing along to the opening song to get started.

Other than that, I think they did a pretty good job. And from the view of hoping that they make themselves a name, I particularly liked that other bands endorsed them in interviews. :)

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #445 on: August 09, 2010, 12:00:50 PM
http://blogs.suntimes.com/music/2010/08/lollapalooza_x_japan_makes_us.html

Having Lady Gaga prominent in the charts right now and playing at Lolla is the best thing to happen to X Japan. If ever there has been a niche market for Visual Kei and drama - here it is. Not since Davie Bowie's Ziggy Stardust Days has there ever been such an opportunity in the west.

Hoards of artists are trying to copy Lady Gaga and follow suite on the visual side, so it looks like it's something which is going to endure for a little while at least.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #446 on: August 09, 2010, 12:19:10 PM
More press:

Time Out Chicago thought X Japan were the highlight of the festival and wrote a full article on them:

Dear Perry Farrell, thank you for no-wait Port-A-Potty lines, the Columbus Dr. walkway and the artery-clogging (Kuma’s) Judas Priest cranberry/walnut/bacon/bleu cheese party in my mouth…but thank you most of all for X Japan. Engineering the first stateside import of Japan’s (mostly) quadragenarian metal monsters was the coup of the festival, and as expected, faces were in fact melted

http://www3.timeoutny.com/chicago/blog/out-and-about/2010/08/x-japan-at-lollapalooza-2010-live-review-and-photo-gallery/

USA Today were impressed with what they saw

X Japan's decades-in-the-making U.S. concert debut evoked a lusty reception Sunday. The group, formed by drummer Yoshiki Hayashi and singer Toshi Deyama in 1982, became Japan's biggest band, selling 30 million albums, DVDs and singles. Members broke up for a decade in 1997 but have reunited. Their afternoon set evoked aspects of Lady Gaga's set on the same stage Friday night. The metal-pop-punk was fast and ferocious, and the costumes were striking. Yoshiki, in a white neck brace, was bare-chested under a burgundy robe and wore blue vinyl pants and guyliner. Toshi's black helmet hair and shades evoked late Elvis, and his black leather garb was vintage '80s metal-band gear. Singing in English, Toshi wailed into the stratosphere on Jade and showed a pretty, tender tenor on a soft ballad. Flames and sparks belched periodically as Yoshiki stoked the spectacle with Keith-Moon-on-Red-Bull drumming from atop a riser. Japanese-sung anthems succeeded just as well, as this band is more about sonics and style than lyrical introspection. The rest of the quintet laid down a thunderous yet polished platform.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2010-08-09-lollapalooza09_ST_N.htm

A luke-warm and quite sardonic review by The Chicago Tribune:

Everything about Japan X (above), making its stateside debut in front of a smallish audience split between die-hards (those people holding aloft stuffed dolls in the bands' likeness and crossing their arms above their heads while chanting, “X, X, X, X!”) and curiosity seekers, is cartoonishly over-the-top. The long-running Japanese crew makes a comically slow entrance to the stage as epic choral music pumps through the speakers. “Are you ready to rock?” screams singer Toshi Deyama, his voice absent any trace of irony. “We are!” Dressed like glammed-out extras from “The Warriors,” the group combines piano-driven power ballads (the band's glass-and-stainless-steel piano, which takes center stage on “Endless Rain,” looks like something Axl Rose might have sprung for at the height of Guns N' Roses' consumption) and thrashier, guitar heavy numbers like “Jade,” which more often than not are accompanied by towers of flame blasting up from the stage. With a style that combines the theatricality of a Broadway production with cheesy-yet-earnest prog/hair metal, it often sounds as though the Sunset Strip of 1987 has been temporarily airlifted to the band's hometown of Chiba, Japan.

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/turn_it_up/2010/08/lollapalooza-2010-reviews-from-day-3.html

Examiner.com were entertained by X Japan, if not for the wrong reasons:

Japanese metal band X Japan was entertaining, if only to hear the singer shrieking wildly for 45 minutes. When you’re used to hearing metal singers with gruff, growling voices like Metallica and Pantera, it’s hard to get used to a metal singer whose voice screeches higher than Lady Gaga’s.

http://www.examiner.com/x-27067-Chicago-Live-Music-Examiner~y2010m8d9-Lollapalooza-Sunday-Review-Arcade-Fire-MGMT-Frightened-Rabbit-deliver-on-festivals-final-day

Myspace, however, loved X Japan:

A yelping shriek accompanied the rumbling bass that greeted us at the south end of the park. It became evident that progressive Japanese heavy metal crew, X Japan, had taken the stage. X Japan are like no band you have, or will ever see again. The grandness of their slaying is not to be understood, or matched. With grand orchestral arrangements, that could have come from a Journey B-side, knife-stabbing metal riffs and an overall level of madness that any other band would have trouble replicating, lead singer Toshimitsu “Toshi” Devama sang about loneliness (“Amethyst”) and self-reflection (“Art of Life”) behind the loudest noise-hydrant to ever accompany such topics.  Truly, words cannot describe.

Read more: http://www.myspace.com/music/blog/2010/8/8/lollapalooza-day-three-highlights#ixzz0w6e1uIYD

Faronheit.com gave a generally favorable response:

One of my biggest challenges headed into Sunday was whether to see Yeasayer or X Japan. X Japan has been around for decades but has never played a show in the U.S. before. As I’ve seen Yeasayer a couple times already, I chose the unfamiliar act. Their set wasn’t very crowded, but especially at the front, hardcore X Japan fans really openly displayed their love for the band by dressing in costume, or just flying in from Japan where they’re a national treasure. Now I got a little snarky on Twitter about the band’s performance, but honestly it was very entertaining. That’s about all I was looking for, and they delivered, complete with overblown leather outfits, a gong, and pyrotechnics. They’re everything a stadium rock band could ask for, playing to a crowd of a few hundred. Their takeover of North America may not be as easy as they’re hoping it will be, but should they land some success, at least they’ll have the great show to back it up.

http://faronheit.com/2010/08/lollapalooza-2010-day-3-quick-recap/

The Chicago Sun-Times thought X Japan were a complete success.

The other night, referring to the small crowd for the Strokes and the triumph of Lady Gaga, I quipped that rock is dead. I stand corrected.

Making its U.S. debut -- after forming in 1982 and re-forming in 2007, with massive popularity in its home country -- X Japan took to the Lollapalooza main stage Sunday afternoon and delivered a spectacular, almost operatic performance of big ballads and speed metal.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/music/2010/08/lollapalooza_x_japan_makes_us.html

Metromix Chicago, however, were most unenthusiastic towards X Japan, describing them as dated and sporting weak material

Are you ready to rock? Are you ready to ROCK? Are you ready to rock? Are you ready to ROCK? Yep, X Japan singer Toshi asked the crowd this no fewer than four times, by which point the answer should long be self-evident. X Japan, absolutely massive in its home country to the tune of more than 30 million albums sold, surely was ready to rock us: Sunday's Lolla set was the group's first U.S. performance ever, and X Japan formed in 1982. Too bad they still sound like 1982, without any fresh ideas or killer hooks preventing them from merely coming off like a few parts Motley Crue and a few parts Metallica, with Sebastian Bach singing. The band can definitely play loud and fast in between the on-stage pyrotechnics. Not the same as having strong material.

http://chicago.metromix.com/music/article/lolla-10-sunday-reviews/2107835/content

MTV Briefly mentions X Japan's performance in their round-up article of Sunday's performance

Soundgarden capped off a busy Sunday at Lollapalooza, which saw schizophrenic jumps from the over-the-top theatrics of X Japan to the grooviness of Erykah Badu

Cleveland Scene found X Japan to be most underwhelming

Playing its first stateside show ever, Japan’s X Japan didn’t fare so well. Rooted in ’80s metal, the band played power ballad after power ballad and definitely benefited from the novelty factor. If these guys hadn’t been Asian, their show would have been of little interest.

http://www.clevescene.com/c-notes/archives/2010/08/09/road-trip-concert-review-lollapalooza-day-3

Spin.com regards X Japan as a highlight of the festival:

Best Ergonomic Solution for Killer Drum Fills: X Japan
Among all the big-ticket reunions that festivals bank on, one of the biggest featured a band most Lollapalooza attendees had likely never heard of before Sunday. Prog-metal giants X Japan -- no relation to Exene Cervenka, John Doe et. al -- sold millions of records at home before breaking up in 1997. (Their flamboyant guitarist hanged himself under mysterious circumstances in 1998.) But the band had never played America. A reconstituted version rectified that yesterday looking like anime characters dropped into a 1987 Manowar video. There was pyro, sure, but the most lasting impression was left by multi-tasking drummer Yoshiki, who pounded away at his kit -- and, more lovingly, at a white baby grand for the ballads -- all while wearing a thick neck brace, kinda like Joan Cusack in Sixteen Candles. The Japanese Tommy Lee quickly became the hero of the day and was last spotted driving a boat on Lake Michigan -- with his dick.

http://www.spin.com/articles/best-moments-lollapalooza-final-day

Spin.com again briefly mentions X Japan whilst lauding Soundgarden's return

The set didn't feature much in the way of bells and whistles -- Green Day and X Japan must have raided their supply -- but they are their own special effect.

http://www.spin.com/articles/soundgardens-lolla-return-captures-moment

Chicago Mag.com gave X Japan a thumbs up, of sorts

Best fan watching: Androgyny, guitar fury, flames and explosions from X Japan, a Japanese hair metal supergroup that was making its American debut. They were not the tightest band we saw in the technical sense, but their flag-toting Japanese fans definitely made their Sunday afternoon set the best occasion for people watching.

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/The-312/August-2010/Best-of-Lollapalooza-2010/

Chartattack.com also briefly mentions X

The sixth annual version of the three-day fest, located in Chicago's beautiful Grant Park, had its typically big name attractions: the reunion of '90s rock icons Soundgarden; the Vegas-sized spectacle of Lady Gaga and Green Day; the return to U.S. stages of rock revolutionaries The Strokes; the North American premiere of Asian metal superstars X-Japan;

http://www.chartattack.com/reviews/2010/aug/09/lollapalooza-2010-canadians-rule-and-soundgarden-plod-along

AVClub.Com appeared to enjoy the occasion:

X Japan’s first U.S. show—the group is massively huge in its native country—was a fantastic curiosity, from the first moments of epic choral music that preceded the band’s entrance to the wailing vibrato of lead singer Toshi Deyama and beast of a drummer Yoshiki Hayashi to the intense pyro that lit up the afternoon stage. For the uninitiated, the set was all over the place, as hair-metal/glam-rock should be, really. One moment Toshi was issuing blood-curdling screams alongside thrashing guitars, and the next, his voice was operatic and sailing over the field. The group drew a tight band of superfans up front, who were equipped with X memorabilia and schooled in the art of coordinated jumping, fist-pumping, and when exactly they should all shout and make the X symbol. (It was somewhat unpredictable.) Toshi’s stage banter pulled from a set of clichés like “Are you ready to rock?” and “Are you hot?” But put anything in crazy black-leather costume and throw on a Japanese accent, and it’s charming as hell.

http://www.avclub.com/chicago/articles/lollapalooza-2010-its-all-about-the-spectacle,43944/3/

Gapers Block found X Japan to be a curiosity

X Japan was a sight I had to see. Not knowing much from the outset other than that they are crazy popular in Japan and around the world and they looked like a Japanese glam band, I expected a spectacle. What I got was screamo emo, metal, and orchestral power rock. A mixed bag to say the least, but there is something to this group that has been an influence since 1988, selling over 20 million records across the globe. The group called it quits in 1997 and this rare American appearance was part of their reunion tour.

http://gapersblock.com/transmission/2010/08/09/lollapalooza_sunday/

The Phoenix New Times couldn't even get the band name yet in their brief, dismissive review:

There were people in odd Japanese costumes waiting for Japan X, who opened a 4 p.m. set with a surprising (for me, at least) amount of pyrotechnics, but it seemed like a bit of a slog until the sub-headliners hit the stage.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/2010/08/lollapalooza_2010_everything_t.php

Windy City Rock also found X Japan to be an interesting proposition:

It's safe to say there has never been another act quite like X Japan at Lollapalooza. The band is indeed Japanese and perform an over the top combination of power metal and progressive rock. They're known for donning wild, manga-inspired costumes during performances, though Sunday afternoon their visuals leaned toward heavy metal gothic, with black leather, skulls and crosses. Their soaring, epic heavy metal anthems aren't something I'd generally gravitate toward, but there was something endearing about the band and their outrageous show. Maybe it was the fact that, despite existing as a unit since the '80s, it was the first time performing in the States and it was cool to see them getting good energy from the crowd. Or maybe it was the fire blasts that popped up on stage near the end of the set. Who knows, but it was all kind of cool.

http://www.windycityrock.net/2010/08/lollapalooza-2010-day-three-x-japan.html

Three letters that which would better describe Eat Sleep Drink Music's brief review are 'WTF':

X Japan was full of psychotic Japanese fans and very confused Americans. The band was over-the-top crazy and louder than fuck.

http://www.esdmusic.com/2010/08/09/lollapalooza-2010-recap-sunday-sunday-here-again-a-walk-in-the-park/

In Music were full of praise for X Japan, regarding them as being a notable highlight of the festival:

The second band worth noting were metal veterans X Japan, hailing from none other than the land of the rising sun. Kicking off their set with an explosion of pyrotechnics, thundering double kick drums, and screaming vocals straight out of 1986, X Japan wasted no time in showing their hand. Their hour-long set was a tour de force in instrumentation and crowd-riling antics. Broken English didn't stop lead singer Toshimitsu Deyama from whipping the heavy metal hordes before him into a frenzied state. By the end of the set, there wasn't a person left in the crowd who wasn't waiving arms crossed in an "x" above their head to cheer the group on.

http://eatthis.inmusic.ca/2010/08/lollapalooza-wrap-up.html

Rhapsody.com were entertained, if not bemused, by X Japan

Bitchin' doesn't come close to doing justice to whatever it was X Japan's set was all about. This crew of veteran rockers from Japan are a cross between Judas Priest and David Bowie in Labyrinth. Truth be told I'd never heard of them before they took the main stage and spent 45 minutes slaying an imaginary metal dragon. Now I will never forget.

http://blog.rhapsody.com/2010/08/lolla3g.html

To say that Up Chicago were impressed with X Japan would be huge understatement:

WE ARE? X! WE ARE? X! YOU ARE? X! YOU ARE? X!

Well, I sure as hell am now. Never, ever ever ever, has a band made me their new biggest die-hard fan so quickly. When I was bitching Monday night about the lack of what felt like, for me, a true headliner, Perry Farrell more than made up for it by tossing in an extra one on Sunday afternoon. X Japan’s massive set was only trumped by their massive sound; they drowned out everything, from other bands to conversation, across the entire south end of the park. You might be thinking to yourself, “Who the hell is X Japan?” So was I before the set. Apparently these guys are metal giants with a career stretching back to the mid-80s who have just reunited and, get this, played their first show on American soil Sunday at Lollapalooza. They sure as hell didn’t seem nervous. A flurry of orchestral noise in their intro was quickly obliterated by a stunning Motorhead-style guitar assault, complete with giant cones of flame erupting on stage. The band channeled everything from Journey to Metallica to Guns n’ Roses, complete with over the top piano solos and distorted violin breakdowns.  On top of that, these guys clearly had their amps set to 11. By far the loudest band I have ever heard at Lollapalooza, or anywhere else for that matter. One of the shows coolest moments involved drummer Yoshiki playing the piano while a pre-recorded guitar solo accompanied him. What makes pre-recorded guitar cool? The guitar part was laid down by deceased former X Japan guitar player Hideto Matsumoto. The show ended on a song that dipped in and out of epic “November Rain-style ballad and full on metal firestorm.” The crowd ate it up, fist pumping crossed arms and declaring they too were X.

http://blog.rhapsody.com/2010/08/lolla3g.html

Other feedback

Also, interestingly enough, the reaction on the official Lollapalooza forum (the same one which was an X Japan flame-fest when the band were announced on the bill) has been full of a lot of people listing the band in their favorite acts of the festival lists. How's that for humble pie? :)

There have been a few off comments, but nothing negative towards their performance as such. A few members claimed they were entertaining for comedy value in that they "outdid spinal-tap".
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 08:40:45 AM by Beauty/Broken »

Offline XVikyX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #447 on: August 09, 2010, 12:42:35 PM
yeah, "words cannot describe"! People who cannot see the difference between X in 80-s and X at the present time are so ignorance >_<
The show was great, the band did very, very good job. I love Toshi's voice, I really didnt expect it would sound so good.
Also Im so glad to see Yoshiki wears the neckbrace, it's a good sign ^^
Tanks everyone for pics and videos!!

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. (c)

Offline anna_lepard

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #448 on: August 09, 2010, 12:50:17 PM
They did  good job, better i thought they would do.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #449 on: August 09, 2010, 01:18:49 PM
For some reason they changed "I was afraid of following you" to "I was afraid of losing you", minor change but one I don't like.