Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

X Japan's new direction [Split off from the 4 new PVs topic]

Ulquiorra · 13879

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Notice by Hypno: These posts are split off from the X Japan in Hollywood on January 9th topic so some posts might be a bit confusing because of that. Only constructive discussion is allowed here and if personal insults start coming out (doesn't matter if they are towards other users, band members or anyone else), people will start getting real warnings. So be warned!

"exposed to a variety of unforseseen hazards and risks, that may include, but are not limited to,
personal injury, property damage and death."

Yeah Yoshiki sure, I'm sure it'll be very dangerous like all the other times you've been right about things like this, everyone knows you bull**** to sound cool, the most that happens is that you pretend to kill yourself for attention, which isn't.

Also I saw that link a few posts back with a link to the fashion show during X's concert and even though I already saw it in the live videos I have to bring up again how disgraced I am to see Yoshiki turning a rock/heavy metal concert into a fashion show. Fashsion advertisment has NO place, none AT ALL at a rock/metal concert, get it the f*** out

I have a prediction for what X's new song/songs are going to sound like, considering I already think I.V and Jade involve almost no talented song writing, and just sound like generic Americanised 21st century shit of today just to follow the trend of music today to make money. Add now to the fact that Yoshiki is actually going to advertise himself in the US, infact Hollywood with recording this PV/new song. I predict that the new song is going to sound exactly like Jade & I.V, except the riff will sound even more boring/trying to sound metal, and when the music & Toshi's vocals do the typical "oooh I'm trying to sound moody" section Yoshiki's going to put a techno beat dodododo dodo dododododo dodo" in the background. Or they'll just go the whole hog and start jumping around with their guitars doing nothing but wanking their hands on the guitar with tasteless shouting like every other typical band right now.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:33:43 PM by Hypno »

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 11:20:30 PM

I'll be okay with it, as long as they won't completely ruin the image of X, they have created in the past.
The old X is the one that I love and respect the most.

We'll see..

They took the heavy metal genre which is an extremely popular genre of music which involves extreme talent, so much so that proper metal fans are hugely protective of the genre, and they practically wiped it out with the Dahlia album without giving a toss for any of the metal fans who followed them from the beginning & made them famous (something Maiden, Sabbath, Dio & Priest ect. would NEVER do). They came back in 2007 claiming it was a reunion but played new songs which showed no resemblence at all to the old songs, defeating the point of "reunion" These songs were a disgrace to the old songs in terms of sound and writing. Yoshiki has for the most part instead of focusing on an awesome reunion everyone wanted, decided to pretend to kill himself stopping shows halfway through for drama (i.e, attention), Thrown fashion shows into a metal concert which is horrific and completely selling out, as well as all the Hello Kitty sellout merchandise which all the morons on this site have fallen for (go buy the X-Japan curry while your at it, give Yoshiki some more sweet green). After the fashion shows end, on several ocasions he's stood on top of the drums before the drum solo and the lights move on him, revealing him in the exact same position with the exact same crying expressions on his face, in the exact same place, after the exact same fashion show as the previous night's performace, which shows that his sad emotions are fake and that at least parts of these concerts are more about giving him attention rather than a reunion tour for us. (he stated in an recent interview that he thinks he's the frontman, not Toshi, what a disrespectful prick to his friend and the way stage roles have worked since the dawn of time).

They ruined their reputation of their song writing abilities by reuniting, and they ruined their reputation for good live performances by reuniting, they don't rehearse, Toshi has the most f***ing annoyingly inconsistant voice in the world and can't stop cracking up/sounding weak, Yoshiki's messing up on the drums continuosly, The Dahlia performance in May was the worst performance from X I have even seen in my life, (yet on youtube everyone praises that performance, couldn't stress the point about blind fans anymore if I tried).

They have continuosly dissapointed fans like me with their setlists, and it feels now like Yoshiki has gone beyond the point of remembering his dead friend in concerts now to the point of using him for advertisement, and he's proved with everything that I have seen (and from what people who have connections with people who work with X have told me) that he follows the current music trends & what his managers advise him to make rather then music he truly loves and feels passionate about. And after all that ruining of X's image, Yoshiki breaks his neck and we have to wait almost an entire year for their return, marking everything they've done from late 2007 to May 2009 as the new and latest state of X-Japan.

"as long as they wont ruin the image of X"? Far too late my friend. X-Japan 2007-2009 is basically the Star Wars prequals in music/concert form.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:44:03 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline y0shisgrl

• Sunday Listener
  • We may be freaks....but at least we have FUN
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 11:57:30 PM
@Ulquiorra ----  I get what your trying to say. they have ruined a lot of their rep. but we must not forget all of the great things that they have done in the past. and we cannot blame everything on yoshiki. its not necisarily HIS fault if toshi cant get his head out of his ass for 2 seconds to practice.
          but yes. i agree about the hide thing. they may not realize it, but they are overdoing it to the point where hide is an object instead of a long-gone friend and role model..... (or as i call him 'my savior')

point: X needs to CHILL. if they do things at a smart pace, they can be legends once more. it seems to me that they're speeding things up too fast because they dont want fans to get bored with them.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 12:00:31 AM by y0shisgrl »

RIP Our Pink Spider.
RIP Taiji <3

Offline Wearex316

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • MYSPACE
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 01:11:02 AM
me personally. i think they just need to do what they think is best. it really is about them 1st not the fans. all i hear is i this and i that, toshi this and toshi that,  don't do this and don't do that. the past is the past get over it. they have you dont see them still pouting do you no you dont do you. X will always do whats best for X wither you agree or not. i love I.V. I love Jade I think they need to keep using hide as they are. So go listen to your old X albums As great as they are. But me and my daughter will be blasting there new songs so loud you'll probably hear it in Europe.

My Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddddddeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

WE ARE X
AND
WE ARE X-JAPAN

TWO DIFFERENT BANDS
BOTH FREAKING AWESOME
ILL NEVER GET BORED OF

Offline demonbefriender

• Fan
  • I think I am a banana tree
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal
Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 03:27:59 AM
X-Japan 2007-2009 is basically the Star Wars prequals in music/concert form.

I laughed so damn hard.

You pretty much summed up a lot of my thoughts, although I'm not big in the metal scene so I might not share the same "metal mentality". However, I am into a lot of punk, and I can imagine the two genres share similar views on merchandising and selling out.
So, I can understand the anger about X-Japan.

I've pretty much started to ignore the reunion and stick with the band as they were. I really don't care if I dislike what they're making now. But, they aren't exactly my favorite band so I probably deal with it better.

GARBAGE DAY!

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 03:37:57 AM
@Ulquiorra. While I do understand and respect your opinions I think that if you're not particularly interested in the current endeavors of the band then just simply ignore it, there is no need to vent your frustrations, as quite frankly in the end there is no winner. There will never be a definitive mode of action that will satisfy everybody.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 03:46:16 AM by TG »

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline Yu~Kun

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • The Reverse Trail
Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 11:22:02 AM
People, aren't you bored of bashing X Japan already?

PARTY HARD

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 11:25:55 AM
*two long posts*
I'd have to agree with TG here. Since you are obviously not happy with the way X Japan is going at the moment, It might be better if you'd just ignore it and keep on listening to the pre-Dahlia recordings and releases (which, I agree, totally rock). However, while most of us can agree on SOME things you said on SOME level, I for one, love both I.V. and Jade (Jade even more than I.V.) and I'm pretty sure that the money Yoshiki makes by making a 30 minute break into a 15 min break + a fashion show (which I don't mind at all, since I happen to love VUK also), will come in handy when they have to cancel another bunch of shows because of a silly OR serious reason. You know, booking a hall like Bercy, doing all the travel arrangements for their 13 truckloads of equipment and themselves isn't exactly cheap and you won't get your spent money back if you just cancel the thing a week in advance. From what I've heard, the company that manages X Japan has had to make some serious cutbacks, like holding back the release of some other bands albums, just to supply X with what they spend. I'm not saying Yoshiki won't get a huge cut out of it, but hey, if the fans buy shit like that it's their fault.

And yes, the "not responsible from your death or serious injury" is a normal thing in contracts in the US. You even have to agree not to use iTunes to produce WMDs, so this looks really normal compared to some stuff :)

This is my administrator color.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 01:39:23 PM
Total agreed with Ulquiorra. I am really disappointed with this reunited X.
So, let's hope that at least are 4 X music videos, not 4 hide tribute videos.

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 02:15:35 PM
for once i have to agree with Ulquiorra  :'(

every single thing X has done since the reunion (and it's more than two years now) has been a complete disappointment.
and although i still hope they will change, i'm afraid the only change we're gonna see is a new yoshikitty design

hi there

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 02:26:10 PM
I am very happy with the reunited X. I hope to see them whenever they come to France.
I like very much old X but I like also very much X Japan and their evolution.
I am very curious what they will do on the 9 january and hope that people who will go there will give us a report.
X and X Japan is not only the beautiful songs and music, but it is also their playing lives and their feelings on their lives. I like the evolution, and it is normal there is an evolution.
There are reeel, and not just puppies of the industry. And they do what they like.
And they do play also old songs, but there are always people who never are content.
For me I'd like to see them play unfinished and I'll kill you, but if they don't do that, I can always look at those songs on the PC.
So what is the problem?
I like the reunited X Japan! NAh!!!

Offline Ashemanu

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 02:45:27 PM
The problem is that 20 years have passed since the original X, and that even musicians are allowed to change and not stay the same over the decades. If they would do everything like they had done it 20 years ago the same people would complain that they haven´t grown up and still do the things from old. So, no matter what they do, it will always be wrong. Nobody is forced to be an X fan ... if you cannot live with the reunited X, then please simply forget about them and continue to live in the past with the old X. Pretend the new one never reunited. Problem solved :)

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 02:58:39 PM
the evolution since beginning until now already  give X Japan more fans. some fans like their metal rock music, another love their ballad, this is what make X Japan big, if they keep making metal music, only certain people who like metal will be their fans.. like what ashemanu said, if they keep making music like the beginning of X, peopl \e would complain they lack of creatifity. i love X Japan reunited even they are not the same anymore and keep evoluting as long as they making good music which i love like both jade and i.v

Ex denxdenx

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 05:29:08 PM
It all depends of people's expectations. I didn't expect a return to the old days as I didn't think they would be able to  replicate what they did in the late eighties/early nineties due to a number of factors. So what I expected out of the reunion was a few new songs and a few reunion shows, and that is exactly what I got. For me the reunion has been personally positive for me as I got to see one of my favourite bands, in fact it exceeded my expectations as they played Art of Life. Admittedly there have been a number of negatives such as the canceled shows in Paris but it just shows their intentions by even suggesting reunite. Whether it be for financial reasons or to please the fans is another debate, but I for one definitely prefer them doing something rather than nothing at all.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

shane140

Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 06:25:49 PM
I for one definitely prefer them doing something rather than nothing at all.
Same here.People should be happy that they have reunited at all, this didn't seem possible a few years ago,if they don't like the "modern" stuff such as Dahlia at least the "old X" fans can appreciate some of the old songs played at lives, and just ignore the new songs.

I personally love both old and new X so whatever they do is perfect for me.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 06:31:45 PM
Okay guys, I'm making another extremely long post so if you don't feel like reading through it and getting bored or really pissed off with what I have to say then don't make yourself read it.

For those of you who can read long posts that might contain opinions you don't agree with and have a calm conversation about it afterwards then please read. I'm sorry about some of the repetitiveness in points I bring up/examples of bands I use but its hard to describe what i'm trying to say any other way.

tif they keep making music like the beginning of X, people would complain they lack of creatifity.

One of several excuses I've heard a million times before, Noone has (or at least extremely rarely) questioned or complained at bands like Maiden or Judas Priest (except about Turbo Lover) because the music they make on each album constains such memorable riffs/guitar lines with such memorable sounds and involves major creativity that not everyone can do, people who truly love the heavy metal genre stick with it, because they love the sound and talent involved and want to forever defend talent in music (that's why every time you go on a Sabbath/Maiden/Priest ect. video you see people saying "this is true music, from the heart, that took real work, not like the shitty talentless Jonas Brothers money making machines today")  no matter what, they don't ask for Iron Maiden to change to disco music or take out solos from their songs just for the sake of not playing the same stuff.

X do not need to change their genre to be more popular and I think Iron maiden is a perfect example. Iron Maiden are one of the most popular bands in the world, and they became that famous even thought they only played metal, that's because they have a pasion for that genre of music, and this applies to other metal bands who are also some of the most worldwide famous bands. There was no excuse for Yoshiki not to notice this, or try and branch off to many other types of music to be even more and more and more popular, that's just greed in my eyes. And if Yoshiki truly liked the type of music he was playing since 1982 (and decieved fans into listening to because, guess what *that's the genre/liik of music the fans liked*.) He would never have even wanted to change the genre to ballads, he even stated he never liiked metal, so basically he tricked people who loved metal into listening, and then decided to turn it all upside down whenever he wanted against everybody.

I.V and Jade, are metal tunes, and they have decided to change the style of their metal songs, which is great, the problem is, they have no atmosphere or creativity of the "old" songs.

As for writing the same kinds of metal songs over and over again, not many metal bands actually do that, Black Sabbath/Heaven & Blind Guardian are some of the most versitial bands I've ever seen, constantly changing the style of metal they play, giving off different sounds with almost every album, but they still stick to the metal genre, and they still manage to create songs that involve immense skill and talent, because they know if they don't, that will greatly upset all their fans who have followed them from the beginning and love that genre of music above everything else.

I have to say I get very annoyed with comments like, "they need to change their genre of music to show they've grown up" "they need to change so people don't say they havn't grown up", this is some of the biggest BS I've ever heard, what does that even mean? Heavy Metal is not a genre for teenagers who jump around and scream on stage, it is an extremely mature and respected genre that's lasted for 40+ years that encompasses ages of fans & band members up to 60+ years of age, and along with Jazz/classical music its one of the top creatrive genre's in the world, and the oldest and best of the genre such as Ronnie James Dio are some of the most nice and wisest people I've seen, he's 67 and till supporting the genre and singing on stage (and will hopefully beat cancer and continue to do so) So don't you dare ever say that bands who continue to play metal need to 'grow out of it', that's just utter BS.

If you want proof that basically all metal fans think the way I do, go look at the comments on youtube on Iron Maiden/Judas Priest videos & what they think of the state of music today, and what old school band's music means to them, go look at clips from 'Iron Maiden flight 666' and see how passionate all the fans are, some of them crying (grown men) when they got stuff thrown by the band from the stage. That's how they feel about the talent and sound involved in the music.

More proof just look at what happened to Metallica's popularity after they made an album/albums with no solos, imagine what the Dahlia album would've done to X-Japan over in the U.S/UK after their previous albums. Also I have to bring up the new "Gun's N' Roses" album, Chinese Democracy is the exact same situation as Jade & I.V, both bands came back with new songs, and if you go onto review sites/videos on youtube of Chinese Democracy, you will see tons and tons of people bashing chinese democracy for the exact same reasons I'm bashing Jade & I.V. The only people defending Chinese Democracy are new fans of Gn'R who ever listened to the old albums and don't understand what is so important to the fans of old school rock/metal music.

I hate rap, its not singing, however, Rage Against the Machine are still an extremely talented band otherwise that create true and proper music, look at the stand metal fans took against X-Factor with that, look at what people are saying about proper Rock music finally coming back with the album 'Them Crooked Vultures' against the talentless hacks of today.

Btw, I am not going to be grateful to X just because they reunited at all, its been two years, they had more then enough time to fix problems like cancellations, Yoshiki fixing his ego problems, them not performing well on stage and actually bothering to look online and see what people think of their 60-80% ballad:40% rock/metal ratio. But as I've already said, Yoshiki doesn't care about anyone who liked their "old" heavy metal songs.

I waited patiantly for almost a year and a half for them to do something right, more than enough time.

Someone said a few posts back that Yoshiki is not a puppy of the industry, I couldn't disagree more, he's one of the biggest, and I don't believe he truly does what he wants either, and even when he does, he makes the decisions without asking or involving any of the other members, he doesn't work with Pata, Heath and Toshi as a team, he thinks its all "me me me" or the other members of the band have become 'yes' men. And other decisions he makes are based on what his managers and other people over his shoulders tell him to do, his disgusting X-japan merchandise is another example of both managers advice and his own attention whoring making his decisions.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 07:21:40 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline HarZy

• Fan
  • Sex, drugs and visual shock
    • View Profile
    • My Last.fm profile
Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 07:11:32 PM
he even stated he never liiked metal
Source?

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 07:17:28 PM
That point I'm getting from my memory, even if its wrong its a very small part of my post anyway, but I'm sure I remember either people here, or some articles stating that Toshi and Yoshiki have both said they never liked metal.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 07:27:45 PM
i think they respect hide. even he's gone , by putting him on screen, they feel like playing music together with hide.

But doing things like putting out a selection of X-Japan cards, that gullible fans pay for, one card of each member, but then two cards for hide is not respect, that is blatently using hide for advertisement because he's the most famous member, one card for the less known members, then two cards for the most famous member=more sales.

Oh yeah, Yoshiki made sure he had two cards of himself as well, because he's the best, you know.

and from Demonbefriender: "although I'm not big in the metal scene so I might not share the same "metal mentality". However, I am into a lot of punk, and I can imagine the two genres share similar views on merchandising and selling out. So, I can understand the anger about X-Japan. "I've pretty much started to ignore the reunion and stick with the band as they were. I really don't care if I dislike what they're making now. But, they aren't exactly my favorite band so I probably deal with it better."

Yes that is one of the main reasons why I'm angry and vent so much about this, I'm hugely into the metal genre and all the meanings behind it, and X was my absolute number 1 favourite band of all time before the reunion, I was completely obsessed, and i was just as big of a fan of Yoshiki as most people here and through half of this reunion I was trying to hold onto that, that's why I have these angry/dissapointed views.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 07:43:50 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 07:34:55 PM
Please if you don't like them, don't listen to their music or look at their concerts, but listen to heavy metal bands.
For Yoshiki: do you know his classical works on piano or his songs for Violet UK? That man is a classical genius.
BTW, you are a saw, a big one! :-)

Offline HarZy

• Fan
  • Sex, drugs and visual shock
    • View Profile
    • My Last.fm profile
Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 07:35:10 PM
Well, if it's true that Yoshiki never liked metal, I'm totally losing all my respect for him.. that's why I was asking for the source. And I kinda agree with your post, but my views on the reunion are pretty neutral even though I acknowledge the fact that it's done just for money and fame.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 07:39:46 PM
Please if you don't like them, don't listen to their music or look at their concerts, but listen to heavy metal bands.
For Yoshiki: do you know his classical works on piano or his songs for Violet UK? That man is a classical genius.
BTW, you are a saw, a big one! :-)

They are a heavy metal band, Yoshiki's said it himself several times this year, that's why I think they're so terrible now, they are and always will be one of the most famous heavy metal bands that started in the early 80's with bands like Maiden, that is why I think the state the band is in now is terrible.

If Yoshiki came out and said the band is no longer metal, we're changing to a pop group that plays ballads, adds a little bit of guitar in occassionaly, then even though I would be even more angry with him for completely disrespecting metal fans, everything would make more sense, and I would finally stop listening/following them.

"BTW, you are a saw, a big one!"

Wut? XD, you mean an eyesore? I did say you didn't have to read my posts, and my posts are long because I have a lot of questions and opinions from other people's posts I think I have to respond to.

I'll try to shorten what I say in my posts, make it a bit less crazy for everyone.

As for Violet UK, as much of the songs I've listened to its mainly techno tracks with singers over them made for movies, and any piano involved is basically Yoshiki's "lalalalalalalLALALALALALALAlalalalalalala"/remix of art of life piano solo.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 10:04:53 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 07:50:30 PM
No. Saw = zaag of scie, something to cut wood :-)
I don't think they call themselves a heavy metal band. That's why at their beginnings lot of guitarists quitted them, because they had no specific genre.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 07:55:19 PM
I don't think that's ever been stated that's the reason, I think lots of the members back then quit because it wasn't exactly their kind of metal music and they felt they wanted to try out other bands, back then in X there was absolutly no other way to label them but speedmetal, or just metal, because that's what they played and up to 1993 they played a few ballads sometimes, but all metal bands do that. And as I've already said, Yoshiki has said several times in interviews these past two years that they're a rock/metal band, straight from the "leaders" mouth.

Most recent one being when he was talking about how "noone's every displayed a fashion show (GAAAH) at a *rock concert* before".
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 07:56:56 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 12:44:00 PM
How can Yoshiki not like metal? He's been playing it for years

One word, fame. After he got it he did whatever he wanted which is where all the ballads (regardless of the fact that he had heavy metal fans at the time, but clearly their needs weren't important) and now this halfassed techno rock comes into it.

Anyway, I'm waiting to see what these four songs are and if any of them (maybe all) are new, and how badly Yoshiki's going to mess them up, how much worse are X's new songs going to get, or I might be pleasently suprised and see Yoshiki has come back to his senses a bit.

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 12:47:19 PM
Ulquiorra, if he did it for the fame and doesn't like it in the first place, then do you think he should keep doing it (for the fame & against his own will). If he likes half arsed techno, as you put it, much better than heavy metal, then why should he do anything but that? His fans can choose what they listen from what he produces, they can choose from thousands of other bands. But he should make what he likes to make. Not what you or anyone else tells him to.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:34:32 PM by Hypno »

Offline Faestian

• Sunday Listener
  • wants a hide Signature Fernandes guitar
    • View Profile
    • Fae's Corner
Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 04:16:23 PM
People here in the West who have no idea who X are may well have an idea after this! Woot! Wish I could go, just to sit on the sidelines and watch.

As for the secondary part of this thread. Rule of creativity, 'Create for yourself, your audience will choose you', operative word here, Choose. Considering what that band has been through and NOT all because Yoshiki is some kind of freakish, Caligula type, dictator, but because life and fate has used them all as its personal a football, I am amazed they stayed in the game at all. Tender and heartrending ballads work just fine for me, as do the older, outstanding Metal. I like the 'balance'. At least X attempted a come back, for ALL the fans, not just the metal heads. Having suffered a very little of what they have, I know the kind of strength and courage it took to take those steps. Hope they rock Cali.  ;D 

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 09:27:54 PM
People here in the West who have no idea who X are may well have an idea after this! Woot! Wish I could go, just to sit on the sidelines and watch.

As for the secondary part of this thread. Rule of creativity, 'Create for yourself, your audience will choose you', operative word here, Choose. Considering what that band has been through and NOT all because Yoshiki is some kind of freakish, Caligula type, dictator, but because life and fate has used them all as its personal a football, I am amazed they stayed in the game at all.

Yeah great, X will get thousands of new fans who have no idea about any of their beginnings/proper metal songs and will only ever come to know the new crap & will go on youtube defending I.V & Jade when they have no right to talk about that as they're not old fans who've been there since their heavy metal days, just like Guns N' Roses with Chinese Democracy.

"Rule of creativity, "Create for yourself, your audience will choose you" Bands do not take that all the way like you seem to be saying, there's a limit, and when you suddenly switch the entire genre on your audience that's been following you for years, or you suddenly take everything out of the songs that made them good & creative/talented, fans feel betrayed, and the bands pay for it (except bands with fangirls). As I've said before, Look what happened with metallica, Guns n' Roses ect. "Create for yourself, your audience will choose you" Does apply a lot, but always within the same genre, you will never see a pop band, suddenly record death metal tracks for their next album, or a rap group suddenly going opra.

Even though bands make changes, they stick to their genre, because they love that genre of music (which is why they play that music *not for fame*), and they know their fans love it. X-Japan is the only band I know who has not followed this, and its not right, and there's only one reason they get away with it.

By "considering what they've been through" I'm assuming all the down moments they've had in their career, such as , Taiji leaving, and more importantly, Toshi leaving, which incase you failed to have noticed *is* because 'Yoshiki is some kind of freakish, Caligula type, dictator'. It was not the 'fate of life' that made him an asshole.

I have posted more than enough about the way yoshiki doesn't allow anyone else in the group to make decisions, advertises himself all the time, the way he acts on stage, the way he disrespects the other members what he's said in interviews with things like "Toshi's not the frontman, I am". I posted more than enough and so have other people, to show you that Yoshiki is all those things, and he is responsible for bad things happening in the band.

And Hypno, wether Yoshiki should continue to make metal songs or not isn't the point, the point is he decieved any serious metal fan who was a fan of their's since the early eighties.

The new songs are crap and the fact that thousands of new fans are going to think that "I.V" and Jade" are what X are about and anyone who prefers the old stuff is 'living in the past', disgusts me, infact the chances there are some people here from the late 80's/early 90's seemingly supporting X's new drivel disgusts me, its all going to shitty mainstream music.

And one of the only hopes for the band is for them to suprise me with some excellent metal songs tomorrow or whenever they surface. If its not going to be crappy new techno/moody tracks with no guitar solos then my prediction will be the same as the main admins from jrocknyc "jrocknyc: i suspect "Crucify My Love 2010", "Endless Rain 2010", "Another Boring Ballad 2010" and maybe one for "Jade"?".
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 10:03:28 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline Artseeker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 10:58:48 PM
It's been months since I last posted here, but now I really feel the need to do so.
This whole post is in response to Ulquiorra's latest comment in this thread.

I'm not really happy with the direction X Japan are taking, I.V. and Jade are average songs with nothing but a really good melody and nice lyrics, but that's all. X Japan's songs used to be MORE than that, they were way more interesting in terms of composition, especially for what concerns the guitar parts, that's something I think everyone has realized by now.
I'd really love it if Yoshiki got back at composing heavy metal songs like he used to, but so far that's clearly not the case and to be honest, I don't think things are going to change in the future.
I'm kinda sorry this is happening because I think Yoshiki could still compose heavy metal masterpieces like Silent Jealousy, Dahlia, Kurenai, Rose Of Pain if he only wanted to...but that's exactly the point, he apparently doesn't want to and you know what? That's HIS and the band's decision to make, as fans, we only get to decide if we want to stick with them or not. It may sound sad but that's reality and it's the same with EVERY single band existing in the world.
Do you have any idea of how many times I've decided to stop following a band because it had taken a direction I didn't like? It happened MANY times and still happens now, which sucks, I know, and it makes you feel angry at them because you think they're doing something against their roots, but in the end complaining doesn't solve anything. The only choice you have is to just stop caring about their future works and keep listening to the old ones you like. I still do this with many bands I used to like and I'm fine with it.

X Japan have done amazing things in the past, you could say they've really left their mark, they will always be regarded as an historical band in Japan and they're one of the few bands to be known even outside of their country, I think that's really an impressive and important achievement, very few Japanese bands could say that of themselves.

Now they're clearly trying to reach the american-european market and they have decided to do it with songs like I.V. and Jade, which are more accessible to a wider audience, enabling them to gain a more solid fanbase. I personally don't like this decision, but there's nothing I can do about it, is there? I can criticize them (and I do), but there's no use in bashing Yoshiki, the band or their new fans, just because you don't like the current state of things. It's just useless.

So what I'm trying to say is if you still want to follow them, hoping things will change, do it, but please stop posting this kind of comments, everyone here knows what you think about Yoshiki and X Japan's current situation and I'm sure many people(including me, to some extent) agree, but you can't expect to convince everyone of your opinion. There are people who are ok with how things are turning out and they have every right to be in my opinion.

Bands evolve and often change direction, being a fan doesn't mean following them just because you liked them in the beginning and expecting them to always stay true to their roots.    

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:04:41 PM by Artseeker »

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 11:34:05 PM
These posts are split off from the X Japan in Hollywood on January 9th topic so some posts might be a bit confusing because of that. Only constructive discussion is allowed here and if personal insults start coming out (doesn't matter if they are towards other users, band members or anyone else), people will start getting real warnings. So be warned!