• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

X Japan in Hollywood on January 9th

Sander · 149024

Offline Wearex316

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • MYSPACE
Reply #300 on: January 11, 2010, 11:30:43 PM
one of the comments on one of those videos said it was for a video game. that would make sense that would explain why it was edited and why jade was the only one involving costumes. maybe they will be in rock band since that guy was there. that would be sweet. and long over due.

Offline Badymaru

• View Profile
Reply #301 on: January 12, 2010, 12:48:28 AM
What I want to know is if they are shooting this for anything, why did they start at 4 when the sun was still up and continue until the sun went down? All of those different shots are going to have different lighting and if they put them together it might look weird...

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #302 on: January 12, 2010, 01:36:08 AM
one of the comments on one of those videos said it was for a video game.

Aizen9? That would be me. And I heard it from an article about the pv recordings that was posted here.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 01:37:48 AM by Ulquiorra »

Offline kazooms

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #303 on: January 12, 2010, 02:05:53 AM
Dunno if its been posted here but in the Japanese newspaper articles
it mentions that

1. In the JADE PV YOSHIKI is the wolf boy;)
(you can see the wolf mask in the theatre shooting pics)
He said althought he's a rocks star he was nervous as its his
first time as an actor

2. During a 'bed scene' shot in one of the rooms at the theatre (JADE)
the sprinkler went off and the fire brigade was called. Because
the building is old the water was black!;)

3. With regard to the use of older songs YOSHIKI said that for the
overseas market Rusty Nail and Kurenai are both new songs and
that he wants X JAPAN's to be known as the band that does crazy shit!
(sorry couldnt think of a better alternative). He allso admited that their
5 million yen 'business card' (the cost of their pv shooting) was
a little pricey;)

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #304 on: January 12, 2010, 02:22:16 AM
Except for a few seconds of the piano opening, this is the full and best quality version of Jade so far.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKNzXGlGIek[/youtube]

« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 02:28:02 AM by Ulquiorra »

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #305 on: January 12, 2010, 02:57:28 AM
Except for a few seconds of the piano opening, this is the full and best quality version of Jade so far.

anyone got a new lyric for this? (speculation after listening)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:55:51 AM by Hypno »

Ex denxdenx

Offline Thomas849

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #306 on: January 12, 2010, 03:53:52 AM
anyone else starting to think there isnt another "new song" lol and its all just been hear say

ben

Reply #307 on: January 12, 2010, 04:11:09 AM
anyone else starting to think there isnt another "new song" lol and its all just been hear say

Yoshiki might have some new ideas he's working on, who knows; we'll find out at the right time

Offline Crock.Extinction

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #308 on: January 12, 2010, 05:32:22 AM
8 minutes I.V.? Hmm ... If I'm not wrong ... I remember I read somewhere that Yoshiki said I.V. was longer than the movie version, but it had to be cut to fit in the movie or something like that ...

Everything's a fucking joke ...

Offline julien

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • GTOpro
Reply #309 on: January 12, 2010, 01:14:48 PM
JADE is beautiful <3 I really wanna get the studio version soon !

X JAPAN [Belgian Street Team]

| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄|
 |We want old songs ! |
 |___________|
       ∧∧ ||
    ( ゚д゚)||
    / づΦ

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #310 on: January 12, 2010, 02:55:00 PM
Anyone up for speculating when and where the North American concert(s) may be? :) Based on that one video someone posted here earlier, Yoshiki told the fans he hopes to see them in a real concert maybe sometime this year. Not only am I biased to the east coast but they DID officially say they wanted to play Madison Square Garden and I still have faith. In my opinion, they should do one west coast show and one east coast. I live in Toronto but only one can dream that they would play here in Canada. Although..Toronto is Canada's biggest and most popular city..who knows! At least New York is do-able ...although quite the journey it would be well worth it.

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #311 on: January 12, 2010, 02:57:40 PM
mm, the real concert might the what japanese press is reporting, that the band has been offered to play in lollapalooza this summer

hi there

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #312 on: January 12, 2010, 03:06:27 PM
mm, the real concert might the what japanese press is reporting, that the band has been offered to play in lollapalooza this summer

True, I actually just discovered that on Xplosion ;p Also, what is this about a Kurenai PV between Jan. 12-14 ?! As much as I hate info on X Japan coming out in bits and pieces, it keeps the suspense quite well lol.

Offline UVER

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #313 on: January 12, 2010, 03:14:43 PM
If the report about the Kurenai PV is true, then the shooting must have started by now. oO

Offline ElefeX

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #314 on: January 12, 2010, 03:23:52 PM
Anyone up for speculating when and where the North American concert(s) may be? :) Based on that one video someone posted here earlier, Yoshiki told the fans he hopes to see them in a real concert maybe sometime this year. Not only am I biased to the east coast but they DID officially say they wanted to play Madison Square Garden and I still have faith. In my opinion, they should do one west coast show and one east coast. I live in Toronto but only one can dream that they would play here in Canada. Although..Toronto is Canada's biggest and most popular city..who knows! At least New York is do-able ...although quite the journey it would be well worth it.

I think that it is quite likely that they would use something like Lollapalooza as a platform to launch themselves to new audiences and gain recognition in the US which is their aim at the moment. I know they said previously that they want to play MSG but I think they need a much higher profile in the USA to be able to fill it!

I also think the problem at the moment is that people will not have much confidence in concerts actually taking place due to previous cancellations so less people will be prepared to invest in concert tickets/travel/accommodation. If they play a few festival type things and some smaller gigs and restore that confidence then I think that would be a good idea before attempting a large gig like MSG.

Also, I hope they remember Europe and the Paris gig in their effort for World domination worldwide recognition!!

Offline Thomas849

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #315 on: January 12, 2010, 03:28:23 PM
I live in Toronto but only one can dream that they would play here in Canada. Although..Toronto is Canada's biggest and most popular city..who knows! At least New York is do-able ...although quite the journey it would be well worth it.

lol yea im living in Toronto too, and it was always my intention to mission out to see them when they did the MSG show that was what....2 years ago? lol but yea id still go to NY just because i really doubt they would do Canada

where is lollapalooza held?

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #316 on: January 12, 2010, 03:29:01 PM
If the report about the Kurenai PV is true, then the shooting must have started by now. oO

Yea, I hope so! With regards to this Lollapalooza, I'm both happy and sad. I'm glad X Japan are finally making it into North America, however, they just don't seem to fit in with the general following of Lollapalooza. I've never even heard of this festival until now and it makes me sick thinking of X Japan playing at a typical north american, druggy, crowd-surfing, moshpitting, rock festival. lol I mean, I'd rather X just go to a smaller venue alone...something the size of their new years gig in Japan @ Blitz. I'm happy for them because if the news is true and they got an invite, just by looking at the following Lollapalooza has, it's great exposure for X Japan in North America...but is it the right crowd? :(

Offline Wearex316

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • MYSPACE
Reply #317 on: January 12, 2010, 03:38:24 PM

Yea, I hope so! With regards to this Lollapalooza, I'm both happy and sad. I'm glad X Japan are finally making it into North America, however, they just don't seem to fit in with the general following of Lollapalooza. I've never even heard of this festival until now and it makes me sick thinking of X Japan playing at a typical north american, druggy, crowd-surfing, moshpitting, rock festival. lol I mean, I'd rather X just go to a smaller venue alone...something the size of their new years gig in Japan @ Blitz. I'm happy for them because if the news is true and they got an invite, just by looking at the following Lollapalooza has, it's great exposure for X Japan in North America...but is it the right crowd? :(
i agree i dont think it fits them. the big hype that is X the pyro and lights wouldnt work there it would be to much. i do also agree it would be great exposer but at what cost. they are a solo band maybe if they had a couple american bands open for them. but not there. they would be able to be X there.

Offline Wearex316

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • MYSPACE
Reply #318 on: January 12, 2010, 03:41:08 PM
in that video you can hear the drums a lil better for Jade. i really like it. we need a studio version.

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #319 on: January 12, 2010, 03:48:00 PM

i agree i dont think it fits them. the big hype that is X the pyro and lights wouldnt work there it would be to much. i do also agree it would be great exposer but at what cost. they are a solo band maybe if they had a couple american bands open for them. but not there. they would be able to be X there.

Exactly! In my opinion, I'd be like "thanks but no thanks" lol and then work on some GOOD and meaningful advertising, release CD's AND DVD's in the North America, perhaps even launch a website, like the jrocknation one and cast an official nationwide/worldwide vote which venue most people want and how many are willing to go, give or take a few thousand and then play their cards from there. Hell, a place the size of  Akasaka blitz would be perfect. If approx. 8,000 showed up to the Hollywood thing with what, a months notice? then just imagine with good marketing/ad's how many ppl they could get then.

Offline vayz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • My kinda music
Reply #320 on: January 12, 2010, 03:50:05 PM
Thanks so much to all of you who have uploaded videos and photos of the X Japan filming in the US of A as well as to all who have posted links to other blogs. I guess now hide will truly rest in peace as SGZ will really take his place. I shall wait for the day that SGZ will play hide's part in Art of Life. It's about time that X Japan leave the past behind and start anew.

off topic: our newest member is hypno2. do you know him Sander?

X Japan

ONE OK ROCK

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #321 on: January 12, 2010, 04:53:17 PM
If approx. 8,000 showed up to the Hollywood thing with what, a months notice? then just imagine with good marketing/ad's how many ppl they could get then.
Well that's including all the random people passing by, who have (had) no idea who X Japan is. Which I guess might count to even more than half.

Lollapalooza is a HUGE alternative rock/hip hop/punk rock festival, last year there were around 225,000 people with dozens of bands on 8 stages, last year etc. Depeche Mode, Kings of Leon, Ben Folds, Rise Against and so on preformed there. If X gets to preform on the main stage, it would be huge... Of course only if they get a good timeslot/people actually bother to listen. Also, X has been playing for a nearly cult-like bunch of fans for the last 20 years at least, they might not seem so awesome playing a bunch of strangers who are hearing their music for the first time. I might be mistaken also, and I'm sure a thousand X Japan fans would go there at LEAST. Plus, someone already mentioned it might be a good way to introduce them to a non-jrock/anime fans/japanophile crowd, but also to more mainstream public.

And Hypno2 is a test-account I'm using to check out a few things (to make sure everything is running smoothly) :P

This is my administrator color.

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #322 on: January 12, 2010, 05:11:49 PM
Want to start by thanking all those who have provided information from the past few days, well done everyone. With regards to the Lollapalooza rumour, essentially it is great exposure to the western fans. However, perhaps doing it at this particular festival isn't exactly the best way to approach it. I think the band suits a more arena-style venue with lots of lighting, pyrotechnics and visual effects and I doubt they will get to perform on either of the main stages at Lollapalooza as they are usually reserved for Pitchfork-hyped indie acts or main headliners. If they do however get a headlining slot for a smaller stage then they ultimately run the risk of clashing with a massive act. Then we have the risk of the neutral festival go-er enjoying them or not, my experience of festivals is that a lot of people go to see acts that they have a small amount of interest in or has heard of at the very least. Obviously for us people here, we are all fairly big X fans so we would make it our priority to see them. I would honestly admit I would not see a band that I've never heard of at a festival, usually I see 2-3 "must-see" acts and a large handful of ones that I've heard good things about, but I very rarely make an effort to see a band I've never heard of. If I was Yoshiki I would just play a show in LA, one in NYC and perhaps one at the Rogers Centre in Toronto. The last thing I want to see is the band booking a large venue and only being 40% full. All in all, I wish the band the very best and hope everyone gets a chance to see them live!

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #323 on: January 12, 2010, 05:20:03 PM
If approx. 8,000 showed up to the Hollywood thing with what, a months notice? then just imagine with good marketing/ad's how many ppl they could get then.
Well that's including all the random people passing by, who have (had) no idea who X Japan is. Which I guess might count to even more than half.

Lollapalooza is a HUGE alternative rock/hip hop/punk rock festival, last year there were around 225,000 people with dozens of bands on 8 stages, last year etc. Depeche Mode, Kings of Leon, Ben Folds, Rise Against and so on preformed there. If X gets to preform on the main stage, it would be huge... Of course only if they get a good timeslot/people actually bother to listen. Also, X has been playing for a nearly cult-like bunch of fans for the last 20 years at least, they might not seem so awesome playing a bunch of strangers who are hearing their music for the first time. I might be mistaken also, and I'm sure a thousand X Japan fans would go there at LEAST. Plus, someone already mentioned it might be a good way to introduce them to a non-jrock/anime fans/japanophile crowd, but also to more mainstream public.

And Hypno2 is a test-account I'm using to check out a few things (to make sure everything is running smoothly) :P

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere today that there were ~8,000 FANS present in addition to the randoms/crowds etc. In any case, this event probably isn't the best thing for X Japan. They will have a hard time fitting in and won't receive the amount of appreciation since more than half of the people who attend probably have never even heard of them before. I know lots of people who simply laughed at me when I told them my favourite band is Japanese...people have such stereotypes and automatically think a band from Japan is hilarious. Aside from that, there are clearly other ways of promoting ones self or band...being a side-show to a big festival where you hardly belong is not the smartest of idea's in my opinion. If they're worried they won't be able to fill the likes of Madison Square Garden, then play it safe and do an Akasaka Blitz size venue.

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #324 on: January 12, 2010, 05:26:13 PM
I'm fine with that festival, X also needed festivals before Blue Blood was released in order to get more attention and get introduced to new fans, they are already used to play in festivals where most of the audience doesn't know them. Now America will be a 'new thing' for them and any kind of festivals is welcomed, although i'm sure that they will eventually play the MGS or sth similar, but yes, later.

hi there

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #325 on: January 12, 2010, 05:35:16 PM
X used to play several gigs a month also. I don't think they'll have time/energy for that. Also, they might either a) get the main stage with a crappy timeslot or  b) get a secondary stage but be on the stage at the same time with Muse or something. So I'd really prefer several stand-alone (or some bands for opening) gigs.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #326 on: January 12, 2010, 05:37:25 PM
I think X Japan will go down quite well, because their support is so devoted that even while reletively small they will be followed wherever they go.

I think if X Japan had played MSG it would have been highly embarressing... as it just wouldn't have sold well. Think back to the SKIN show, a mere few thousand fans made such a huge level of noise and atmosphere, if X Japan played in a festival atmosphere, I don't think for a second they will end up flat on their ass.

Although, someone may bottle them. Bottling is a regular thing for all bands at festivals in the US or UK, and given the way the band dress... they may have to deal with that.

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #327 on: January 12, 2010, 05:56:53 PM
I'm fine with that festival, X also needed festivals before Blue Blood was released in order to get more attention and get introduced to new fans, they are already used to play in festivals where most of the audience doesn't know them. Now America will be a 'new thing' for them and any kind of festivals is welcomed, although i'm sure that they will eventually play the MGS or sth similar, but yes, later.

Yea this is true. In a sense they are building themselves up again...I can only imagine in the early VV days they played LOTS of small gigs/festivals to build a name, but the difference is that it was done in their context, Japan. Playing at Lollapallooza may be good for them and it carries along with it the hope that they will gain a larger North American following in order to carry out a sold out or almost sold out MSG or something of that nature. Sadly, X Japan is very unstable as we've seen and Yoshiki constantly says he/they are truly unsure how long it will last. This could be the one and only gig they get in North America OR it could be the beginning of a new era for them.

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #328 on: January 12, 2010, 06:05:12 PM
HA you think Yoshiki would stand bottling? They'd walk right off the stage! And that would be the end of that.

They can't gain a large following if they play in a huge festival where everyone is drunk and watching the other band. Yoshiki won't accept anything else than the main stage and if they preform there at 1pm, when 70% of the people aren't there yet and the other 30% is setting up or getting drunk, then they'll go totally unnoticed. Yes, there might be a 1000 X Japan fans there, but that won't matter since they know X from before already.

Yes, a festival might do them good, but it can also go so wrong.

I'd personally prefer a few gigs in the US, at medium venues (under 10,000) to gain popularity. If they pull off even a few gigs in a row then a) people would dare to buy plane tickets/book hotels again and b) they'd gain more fans in the US. So that would be my opinion.

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #329 on: January 12, 2010, 06:07:57 PM

I agree with Sander. They won't get a good timeslot on any worthwhile stage IMO. If they do get main stage then it will be early on in the day where people will either be waking up or filtering into the festival, plus they will get only about 40-50 minutes. If they do get a good timeslot on a small stage at night then they will face competition from very established bands such as Radiohead or someone of that stature. A lot of bands are releasing new albums this year and will be looking to secure a slot at festivals such as Lollapalooza and All Points West. Expect Beastie Boys, Sigur Rós, Arcade Fire to be a few names that will hope to play on a headlining slot. Also Green Day and blink-182 are back on the circuit this year and are heavily rumoured, and finally reunited bands such as Pavement (who will draw large crowds due to their independent reputation) and Soundgarden will be considered.

The promoters generally look for a mix of pitchfork media inspired independent acts (such as Animal Collective), fairly well known Alternative rock bands and finally massive headlining acts such Bowie ::), Muse and Radiohead, and unfortunately X Japan doesn't fall into any of those categories. X wouldn't really suit playing the small tents which showcase dance/hip-hop acts.

They should do small theatres within big venues such as MGS which holds about 5000 people. We're not entirely sure of the level of interest yet so they shouldn't do festivals or really large venues, why not test the consumer market first instead of risking so much by playing in a 13,000+ venue. There are other factors to take into consideration but I don't want to sound really pessimistic about this, I just don't want them to rush things and ultimately backfire thus causing more frustrations for both the fans and the band.

ps - If Yoshiki got bottled he would most definitely cut the set and walk off stage.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm