• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Supporting/Opening Acts

ElefeX · 4789

Offline ElefeX

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
on: September 25, 2009, 02:05:23 PM
I have been looking on the good old internet for information about support acts/bands for X/X Japan. However, I can’t seem to find any information. So, I thought I would ask you guys!

Were there any supporting acts/opening acts?  I am not talking about any gigs specifically - in fact, I am interested in the whole timeline from the early days to the reunion! Unless in Japan there are no opening acts? I don’t know that much about the Japanese live music scene!

Also, when X were starting out, did they support any other bands or did they just go out on their own? I know there were the Extasy Summit Festivals, but were they not about 91/92, so thats after Blue Blood and around the time of Jealousy so they would already be quite established by then and have quite a high profile?

So…..I guess my question is….does anyone have any further information? Thanks!  ;D

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 02:43:29 PM
Good question again! You ask things which I wish I knew more about also :p

From what I understand, from the Dahlia tour onwards X Japan certainly had no supporting acts as part of their tours and shows.

If you look back to X Japan's early history (pre-Vanishing Vision) they were often a support band themselves and didn't really tour. I think a good tour to look into would be the "Burn out tour" in the late 80's, they played live houses across Japan, so I think that they surely will have played with other bands each night.

Offline ElefeX

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 11:31:47 AM
And thank you for answering again Beauty/Broken!!! For some reason I randomly find myself thinking about things like this - daily X Japan ponderings!!!

Good info! Thanks!! I presumed that was the case with the more recent gigs as I figured if there had been supporting acts then there would be at least some mention of it somewhere on the internet!! Makes sense in the pre VV era that they would support other bands to build up their own profile/rep!

Offline xScQ

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • We are U.N.I.T.E.D!
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 10:31:20 PM
For indies it's not that hard. Joe's page covers some of the acts that appeared along side X.

http://www.chokai.ne.jp/joe/xfile1.htm

The bands that shared the stage are in yellow behind the venue name/date.

They were more shared stages instead of really speaking of opening up. Color opened a few times later on. But it's hard to tell sometimes in which order bands played. For the most part in the really early days each band had an equal set time. Obviously as X got bigger they moved up to be the headliners.

Offline ElefeX

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 11:48:09 PM
Thank you xScQ for the info and the link!!!

Just had a quick look at the site; it is great - lots of info. It is good to have the info in a timeline format as well, easier to understand rather than blocks of text! Thank you!!  ;D

Offline Spinnerweb

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 10:12:23 PM
It's morbidly amusing to note that, even though X Japan have been reunited in the 13 years since this thread was made, this list is still 99% complete. Cuz in those 13 years they've played like 2 shows lmao.
kek
ahahahahah