• View Profile
Reply #60 on: August 25, 2009, 09:22:01 AM
heh? different version of lyric?how about the lyric from hearjapan?:

Ex denxdenx

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: August 25, 2009, 09:31:20 AM
Can't find those lyrics on hearjapan, but if you're refering to the lyrics that have things like "there shows you how its free" instead of "let your desires scream" then don't trust those lyrics at all, because

1. "there shows you how its free" doesn't make any sense and anyone can hear its "let your desires scream" if they listen properly
2. There are many mistakes like that in HearJapan's lyrics, another couple of examples are "leave your mystery in your heart", that's wrong as well, if you listen to this new "studio version" closely it clearly says "let your destiny lead your heart". Also "leave your mystery in your heart" is one of the last things Yoshiki would want to write about hide.

"Then go back my vault" Doesn't make sense either, he's talking to a vault?

"sank to the darkness in its end" That sounds engrish so that's probably wrong as well (I don't think Yoshiki writes engrish lyrics anymore), and I think its more like "sent through the dark to the distance".

I think my lyrics are far more accurate. Also consider that hearjapan's version of the lyrics aren't official and they were just first ideas created as soon as the concert was over so not much time was put into properly listening to the lyrics, remember how inaccurate everyone's first ideas of I.V's lyrics were?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:51:43 AM by Ulquiorra »

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: August 25, 2009, 01:20:16 PM
@ Broken/Beauty: Actually I am highly 'ejumukated' (that's humour btw) in matters concerning both health and sound recording, as well as dealing with contracts, etc. and blah blah blah (I thought I would throw my own in there since you chose to alter my 'quote' without my permission  ::)  ;)) So, I am afraid your argument just doesn't hold water. However, you seem determined to despise the man, so I will leave you to your enjoyment. He does have fans and friends who actually do understand and do care, and that is all that really matters. It has been both educational and enlightening to chat with you. Ciao. ;D

Oh no, I'm not being adhominum towards you in the slightest, I just thought your argument was silly and very long winded, especially given how few points it actually covered.

Look, I'm a musician - I've recorded stuff in a studio environment literally hundreds of times. Recording drums in a studio is very relaxed (for the drummer at least, mic positioning is a pain for the producer and sound engineers). You can record your parts in as many takes as you want, the only pressure on your shoulders is the deadline for the music - and we all know 'deadline' is a word which means little to Yoshiki as he makes his own.

He's already said he's going to do the world tour, he's going to drum live on stage for several hours and many beforehand in rehearsal. The operation he had was to remove numbness in his hands, I can see why that would be a nuisance, but even in that state he could probably play drums fine. Look at Travis Barker, he nearly died in a plane crash and still has numbness in his hands, yet he's on a massive cross-state tour in America, playing sets of 3 hours plus every night playing harder than Yoshiki ever does.

Now, do you honestly, REALLY, believe he chose midi drums because he COULDN'T play drums?

I'm sorry, but that's just silly.

Offline Mandalay

• View Profile
Reply #63 on: August 25, 2009, 01:54:50 PM
Gather someone's way of doing things from the way you do them. Hm.

And you really think, that argument, as short and directly taken from your own life as it is, is a better one than any long winded one of anyone else?

Sometimes I really hope no member of X ever stumbles over that forums. =(

Oh, yes. I'm serious about this...
-or wait. Am I?

Offline Faestian

• Sunday Listener
  • wants a hide Signature Fernandes guitar
    • View Profile
    • Fae's Corner
Reply #64 on: August 25, 2009, 03:08:45 PM
Broken/Beauty wrote:
Look, I'm a musician - I've recorded stuff in a studio environment literally hundreds of times. Recording drums in a studio is very relaxed (for the drummer at least, mic positioning is a pain for the producer and sound engineers). You can record your parts in as many takes as you want, the only pressure on your shoulders is the deadline for the music - and we all know 'deadline' is a word which means little to Yoshiki as he makes his own.

Ah, gotcha, but I also agree with Mandalay. It really is subjective. As a vocalist, I too have spent inordinate hours in studio. zzzzzzz Hurry up and wait is the term we used. I didn't spend a lot of time with the actual 'band' but can see how both environment and schedule might be easier on the kit drummer, not only in set up, but also depending on the level of celebrity and administrative input the drummer has. But remember, personality can also play a role. A relaxed environment does not necessarily equate with a relaxed artist. ;)

Yes, the surgery was 'partially' to alleviate the numbness in his hand, but 2 decades of wearing a cervical collar would indicate some serious neck damage and most likely, pain as well. I choose to believe the man is in far more serious health problems than he has let on since the late 90's and has now got himself into a bit of a pickle because of his 'I am invincible' attitude.

Oh, and it's" ad hominem. Love to see someone use the word, but it gives more punch if it is spelled correctly. ;) And no that is not meant as a dig, but as legitimate pleasure. A decade in Law left me with a deep appreciation for people who actually use the language well. It is also most likely responsible for my 'long windedness.' lol 

And I was thinking, since it was mentioned earlier in the thread that he contradicts himself constantly, why would anyone believe the world tour was actually going to happen? lol. He can't seem to predict day to day what is going to happen, so why would we believe him? Sorry, I just thought that was chuckle worthy. I think I'll leave it in the hands of Irving Arzoff and his management agency, who, last I heard, have had had premier control of the tour since November of 2008.

Thanks for the clarification.

@Ulquiorra: Thanks for the update on the lyrics.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: August 25, 2009, 06:47:30 PM
I made a typo in the lyrics, I accidently wrote "to the end of the word" instead of "to the end of the world".

Offline Yu~Kun

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • The Reverse Trail
Reply #66 on: August 25, 2009, 08:58:05 PM
I mean, in Rose of Pain, the guitars are non-existent

WTF??????

i think Yu~Kun meant that the guitars arn't that loud and not, well, prominent enough, and i agree,i don't think Yu~Kun is  not saying that there aren't any there at all :)

LOL yes, that.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear XD

PARTY HARD

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #67 on: August 25, 2009, 10:31:36 PM
Look at Travis Barker, he nearly died in a plane crash and still has numbness in his hands, yet he's on a massive cross-state tour in America, playing sets of 3 hours plus every night playing harder than Yoshiki ever does.

I have nothing to contribute to this thread apart from validating that point. I saw blink earlier this month in Montreal and Travis Barker was immense and performed 22 songs without a noticeable break AND he also performed a 5 minute drum solo too, legend!

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline ElefeX

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: August 25, 2009, 11:39:45 PM
Look at Travis Barker, he nearly died in a plane crash and still has numbness in his hands, yet he's on a massive cross-state tour in America, playing sets of 3 hours plus every night playing harder than Yoshiki ever does.

I have nothing to contribute to this thread apart from validating that point. I saw blink earlier this month in Montreal and Travis Barker was immense and performed 22 songs without a noticeable break AND he also performed a 5 minute drum solo too, legend!

Ooo, cool, was it this drum solo? Its from August 4th in Wisconsin, same tour I presume. It is very very cool! Not just any drum solo.........A FLYING DRUM SOLO!

Back on topic ... .. I totally see what you guys are saying, but everybody is different and just because Travis Barker is able to play gigs such as that does not mean that Yoshiki is currently able to do so. I thought Yoshiki's operation was not only for the numbness in his hands but also for the increasing neck pains he has been suffering from so it is a combination of things that are preventing him from playing the drums.

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: August 26, 2009, 12:14:39 AM
I find it very amusing that a topic on a film gig has been turned into a debate over Yoshiki and his well being. Well, back to the topic, I wish I was there to see it. I love the fact it was held at a race way and that they had a stage on a big container. I am also very excited about the studio version of Jade and am eager for its release.

ben

Reply #70 on: August 26, 2009, 01:53:40 AM
out of respect to each opinion I won't join this debate.. ill just say that each person has a different body, different mechanics and their response and recuperation time varies. I'm not defending or criticizing Yoshiki.. Whatever his history is with his health, in the present he has just come out of a major operation so due time is needed to recover.. wish him a good recovery

ben

Reply #71 on: August 26, 2009, 02:01:18 AM
about JADE itself.. yeah, again I have to say the quality of this recording is not clear because it is recorded of a tv broadcast or bootleg or something, so don't pass final judgement until you hear it properly on cd or official mp3 release..

i remember when i heard/watched "I.V" through youtube and then got the official MP3 release.. not much difference in the overall quality but there were enough little  clearer details that made the song sound so much better.. more balance in the instruments, more depth in the sound with the drums and the bass guitar etc

its not 'classic' X JAPAN sound, similarities to "I.V" but it has a good melody

Offline ElefeX

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: August 26, 2009, 08:56:36 AM
I find it very amusing that a topic on a film gig has been turned into a debate over Yoshiki and his well being. Well, back to the topic, I wish I was there to see it. I love the fact it was held at a race way and that they had a stage on a big container. I am also very excited about the studio version of Jade and am eager for its release.

I wouldn’t say its gone totally off topic. The topic is about the Film gig and what happened there, one of the things that happened and perhaps the most important was the studio version of Jade and the question over Yoshiki’s health is with regards to the use of MIDI drums on that song so that is why there is a slight debate. To be honest, I think with everything that happens at the moment Yoshiki's health will be questioned just because it is such a major issue.

Anyway, I do have a couple of questions about the actual Film gig, although it could be stupid questions! I haven’t really heard of Film gigs before, is it just an X thing, or is it more widespread?  I take it they just show video footage and maybe a couple of band members there? Is the Film gig then released on DVD or is it just a one off?

shane140

Reply #73 on: August 26, 2009, 01:44:24 PM
^ well, they are quite uncommon, the only other film gig i've heard of is a pet shop boys one back in 2004 in London...

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: August 26, 2009, 05:31:22 PM
Anyway, I do have a couple of questions about the actual Film gig, although it could be stupid questions! I haven’t really heard of Film gigs before, is it just an X thing, or is it more widespread?  I take it they just show video footage and maybe a couple of band members there? Is the Film gig then released on DVD or is it just a one off?

It's something which is kind of unique to the X Japan fandom in Japan really.

Back in 1989 when X Japan release Blue Blood their popularity amongst the Japanese youth was insanely large, as a brand 'X' sold like very few bands ever have. X had previously toured extensively and continued to appear in live houses and ever increasing venues but fans were facing difficulties getting hold of tickets due to the immense demand. Due to this, someone had a bright idea to film an X gig and release in selected cinemas (which is not entirely uncommon, it's been done before). I think the first gig in question was the "Bakuhatsu Sunzen Gig" recorded at the now called "CC Lemon Hall" in Shibuya, Tokyo. These showings proved quite successful with fans and became known as "Film gigs", and were arranged now and again while the band couldn't perform due to Yoshiki's injuries.

Interestingly enough, a film gig may be partly responsible for X Japan reforming in the first place. In 2003 fans in Korea sent a mass of letters to Yoshiki asking him to perform there, instead he arranged an X Japan film gig (where he debuted a rock version of "Without You"). It proved to be a massive success and even sold out (I think?). If you search around on Youtube you can find some interesting stuff from that time, including Yoshiki being mobbed in Seoul :p

As for the 1993 Film Gig being recorded and released on DVD, that's just taking things too far in my eyes :p

Offline X NUT

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: August 26, 2009, 06:25:53 PM
X had a 1990 Film Gig also.

ben

Reply #76 on: August 26, 2009, 11:44:49 PM
The Korean film gig, is that the one I have seen on youtube where Yoshiki is playing "Endless Rain" on piano and crowd is singing along?

So he showed the rock version of "Without You" there? oh nice.. but there is no recording of it I guess is there..

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #77 on: August 27, 2009, 12:01:38 AM

Fast forward to 3:16, during the last minute or so you can hear the drums etc. It's a possible indication of what the finished product may sound like, although the song has already changed in form since X Japan reunited. The version they played at the hide memorial summit was different from that played at I.V. Towards Destruction.

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
  • [X Japan] and [Harry Potter] obsessed.
    • View Profile
Reply #78 on: August 27, 2009, 12:15:37 AM
I might be deaf or something but this doesn't sound like a rock version to me....
It sounds like the normal version of the song just with some drums towards the end?
Unless that's what makes it a rock version and I misunderstood something...

Yeah, I'm a Yoshiki fangirl. SUE ME.

Offline myuu

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myuu.de
Reply #79 on: August 27, 2009, 12:33:51 AM
I might be deaf or something but this doesn't sound like a rock version to me....
It sounds like the normal version of the song just with some drums towards the end?

haha that was EXACTLY what I was thinking about it... There aren't ANY guitars (which are essential for a rock song for me)

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #80 on: August 27, 2009, 01:02:46 AM

haha that was EXACTLY what I was thinking about it... There aren't ANY guitars (which are essential for a rock song for me)

Personally, I think it would be cool if they recorded the studio version of Without You, with the drums, like what can be heard in the 03 film gig. They should arrange it just like most of their other ballads, Tears, Say Anything, Forever Love, etc., where there is not only piano and vocals but the strings and drums as well.

ben

Reply #81 on: August 27, 2009, 04:57:32 AM
the quality of that video isn't so good.. but thanks for sharing it and of course whoever made the recording in the first place

reason why i mention the quality of the video is because it gets more distorted where the drums come in.. it is not very clear because the piano and drums are the loudest but I am sure I can hear a distorted guitar playing chords/notes alongside.. similar kind of feel to the verses of "Tears".. dont know how to explain it better..

Offline ElefeX

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: August 27, 2009, 10:21:23 PM

It's something which is kind of unique to the X Japan fandom in Japan really.

Back in 1989 when X Japan release Blue Blood their popularity amongst the Japanese youth was insanely large, as a brand 'X' sold like very few bands ever have. X had previously toured extensively and continued to appear in live houses and ever increasing venues but fans were facing difficulties getting hold of tickets due to the immense demand. Due to this, someone had a bright idea to film an X gig and release in selected cinemas (which is not entirely uncommon, it's been done before). I think the first gig in question was the "Bakuhatsu Sunzen Gig" recorded at the now called "CC Lemon Hall" in Shibuya, Tokyo. These showings proved quite successful with fans and became known as "Film gigs", and were arranged now and again while the band couldn't perform due to Yoshiki's injuries.

Interestingly enough, a film gig may be partly responsible for X Japan reforming in the first place. In 2003 fans in Korea sent a mass of letters to Yoshiki asking him to perform there, instead he arranged an X Japan film gig (where he debuted a rock version of "Without You"). It proved to be a massive success and even sold out (I think?). If you search around on Youtube you can find some interesting stuff from that time, including Yoshiki being mobbed in Seoul :p

As for the 1993 Film Gig being recorded and released on DVD, that's just taking things too far in my eyes :p

Thanks for the info. It actually is a very good idea (especially on the marketing side) to have film gigs, really helps for fans who cannot actually make it to the real gigs. The atmosphere looks pretty good as well (obviously not as awesome as a real live, but still pretty cool!).

Cool to know about the korean film gig, I have seen some of the clips on YouTube but i didn't know it could have been a stimulus for the X Japan reunion! 

As for the Rock version of Without You, I agree with ben, I thought I could hear a distorted guitar playing but its hard to tell with the quality unfortunately and I could have just been imagining it. I would also like to hear a proper studio version of this with the drums etc like mC said it would be very cool to hear and I really think it would work well. Has any more been officially said about that version of Without You, like will it be released on the new album, or was it just a treat for those fans to hear a different version?