• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

YOSHIKI to undergo surgery on Monday‏

Ashura · 48760

Offline Yu~Kun

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • The Reverse Trail
Reply #120 on: August 05, 2009, 01:53:24 PM
I certainly understand what's your problem, but you see i believe that the people here can talk about the lives and STILL care about his health...it's just a simple discussion, nobody flamed Yoshiki for being in such a state :)

PARTY HARD

Offline Sweets

• View Profile
    • Sweets' Deviant ART
Reply #121 on: August 07, 2009, 03:53:58 AM
I might be a little behind, but I had to study the spinal cord a lot with the last few years, it's one of the major subjects on the Higher Level Biology course. It's a relatively quick operation, but there are an amount and a half of possible side effects and risks with having the operation.

My uncle had to have a similar operation about three years ago, the risk included bad reaction to the anaesthetic, the usual risks with having an operation (infection, super bug, prolonged hospital stay...ect) but also seemed it concerned the spinal cord and a lot of nerves there were also the risks of nerve damage, leading to possible facial disfiguration, problems with mobility. Just a lot of crazy risks that made you wonder did the ends really justify the means.

My uncle went through it, took a good few weeks for him to recover, but he's fine now. I hope Yoshiki takes the time he actually needs to heal. There's not really much point in going through an operation like this with it's risks and evident discomfort and pain, just to rush back into anything and end up back at square one again.

Forget about lives, forget about concerts. Take time out to look after yourself.

Offline Ashemanu

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #122 on: August 07, 2009, 07:00:57 AM
Forget about lives, forget about concerts. Take time out to look after yourself.

Exactly MY opinion. I really hope Yoshiki gets it too - or has some people around him who will beat it into him til he finally gets the point ;)

Offline Juno42

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #123 on: August 07, 2009, 09:02:55 AM
Should have someone standing by with to whack him with a flyswatter if he refuses to rest up. I can wait for him.

Offline MIHO

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #124 on: August 07, 2009, 01:41:01 PM

Exactly MY opinion. I really hope Yoshiki gets it too - or has some people around him who will beat it into him til he finally gets the point ;)

Thirded.
Concerts can be held any day, Yoshiki's health is something rather fragile.

Offline Faestian

• Sunday Listener
  • wants a hide Signature Fernandes guitar
    • View Profile
    • Fae's Corner
Reply #125 on: August 08, 2009, 06:52:19 PM

Exactly MY opinion. I really hope Yoshiki gets it too - or has some people around him who will beat it into him til he finally gets the point Wink

Thirded.
Concerts can be held any day, Yoshiki's health is something rather fragile.

Fourths the above, and thank you Sweets for more info on the operation and the spinal chord. And Thanks for the laugh Juno42. The idea of someone swatting him with a flyswatter each time he gets too big for his britches is a great visual. Visions of Bart and Lisa's "Ow! Quit it." skit from the Simpson's come to mind.

Offline min-chan

• View Profile
Reply #126 on: August 08, 2009, 08:12:35 PM
I hope, He'll be fine..

Forever love, forever dream... Stay with me like this... Hold my trembling heart in the dawn...

Offline Faestian

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • Fae's Corner
Reply #127 on: August 11, 2009, 02:51:00 PM
Ryo-Ohki wrote:
Okay... WE ALL know that he had the fall where he fractured bones in his neck.  There is quite a difference in a 'staged fall' and one that is totally unanticipated.

I agree 100% with the latter half of this quote, but most ashamedly admit that I do not know the details of the fall wherein he injured his neck. The shame in this is having done hours of research on the band for an article in an independent magazine without finding anything concrete in English. A vague date was all I was able to find, and the outcome of the injury. I don't yet read Japanese although I am studying it at this time. May I ask, dozo, what DID happen?

Offline Juno42

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #128 on: August 11, 2009, 07:04:52 PM
Quote from: Faestian
And Thanks for the laugh Juno42. The idea of someone swatting him with a flyswatter each time he gets too big for his britches is a great visual.

You are welcome. I always felt that part of a fan's duty to a celebrity, once their success reaches a certain magnitude, is ego control. Maybe a lot of todays artist would go of an get into drug induced stupidity if their fanbase smacked them down and said "Hey! You're being a dumbass, knock it off." Yoshiki's behaved himself, for the most part.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 10:04:46 PM by Juno42 »

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #129 on: August 11, 2009, 09:43:07 PM

I agree 100% with the latter half of this quote, but most ashamedly admit that I do not know the details of the fall wherein he injured his neck. The shame in this is having done hours of research on the band for an article in an independent magazine without finding anything concrete in English. A vague date was all I was able to find, and the outcome of the injury. I don't yet read Japanese although I am studying it at this time. May I ask, dozo, what DID happen?

Well, if I'm not mistaken, he had a fall during a Dahlia Tour concert...I think they had to cancel shows on the tour and the next one that he could play was actually the Dahlia Tour Final, which was when he started wearing the neck brace after doctors recommendations. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
  • [X Japan] and [Harry Potter] obsessed.
    • View Profile
Reply #130 on: August 11, 2009, 10:02:27 PM
He didn't have a fall.....he was hurt from the way he plays.
Or at least, that's what I've been reading all those years.

Yeah, I'm a Yoshiki fangirl. SUE ME.

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #131 on: August 11, 2009, 11:40:40 PM
He didn't have a fall.....he was hurt from the way he plays.
Or at least, that's what I've been reading all those years.

Ah that's right! Opps :P, just found this on a random site also....sound correct?

In 1995 he let his hair cut short and started to wear less provocating clothes.
On the stage he gave everything and he often fell from the higher part of the stage where the drums were located. In 1996 during the Dahlia Tour he couldn't play to the end of the show and had to go to a hospital because of his backbone. The docter warned him that he should be more carefull and that he had eventually to stop playing drums. Yoshiki continued to play but he wears a special neck-support.
source: http://www.xjapan.de/members/yoshiki/yoshiki.htm

Offline purplexpride

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #132 on: August 12, 2009, 06:12:54 AM

source: http://www.xjapan.de/members/yoshiki/yoshiki.htm

I'm newbie, lurking in this webboard for sometimes. Finally, I would like to share my information.

His backbone problems haven't related to any falling stage he got on 1990s, but his drumming style. It's developed to herniated disc. I think the official announcement has stated clearly and Yoshiki also interview about his condition in detail on 1995 - 1996 when he canceled Dahlia Tour. I wish this article would be translated in English. Maybe, I should work on it. :P

Offline KRazyJess

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #133 on: August 12, 2009, 09:15:11 AM
Content deleted.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 11:55:31 AM by KRazyJess »

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #134 on: August 12, 2009, 09:20:24 AM
Thanks KRazyJess, I remember reading about this from another site but couldn't remember the specific details.

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #135 on: August 12, 2009, 09:58:45 AM

The repeated fallings along the years were most likely because of pain and being worn out and out of breath. Yoshiki drums like crazy and we all know that. He drums himself into exhaustion. Maybe there was some drama, too, but it annoys me when people think it's all drama. And I doubt it really had anything to do with his injury.

I was watching an interview with him on Youtube and the presenter asked him if all those falls are real or simply a performance and his reply was that it was "50% real and 50% a performance" which was also what I always believed.

After the reunion, we all know he didn't want to use it anymore. He trained a lot to be able to not use it.

Ah but....he did try to 'replace' it with all those leather necklaces he was using, right?...XD
That thick leather necklace he was wearing in most of the lives after the reunion...I'm sure he tried to use that as a smaller neck brace or something. Hell, in one live (either the Hong Kong one or the May 3rd one...not sure) he wasn't wearing it for a big part of the live and then suddenly he started wearing it again...^^;;;

Offline ElefeX

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #136 on: August 12, 2009, 11:18:10 AM
I know his drumming will have a lot to do with his back pain, but it is also important to remember that many of us have bad backs just down to evolution! I remember in a biology lecture a few years back, the lecturer was talking about the human skeletal structure and basically why so many people have bad backs is down the fact we walk on two legs rather than four like we originally did (many many years ago!!) There is a bit more information here (http://www.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUSN1427159120070715?&pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0).

Also, a lot of it is down to genetics as to why some people are more affected by back pain than others. I myself have a bad back -I am only 23 and I haven’t had any major accidents or anything that would result in a bad back so I reckon it’s mainly down to genetics (lucky me!). There has been some research into this (not a lot though) and there are indications that genetics play a big role. Scientists have been analysing twins with differences in lifestyle and jobs to see if it is all down to bad posture/lifting heavy things etc or if genetics play a part and preliminary results show that genetics play a bigger role than was previously expected and that many people will get back pain just due to genetics regardless of their job/lifestyle. More info here (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080408160636.htm).

So, yes, whilst Yoshiki’s drumming plays a major factor in his back pain I also think some of it could just be down to evolution and genetics and he could have suffered from back pain if he just had an everyday office job. As a fellow back pain sufferer I don’t think its fair to blame his drumming entirely for his back pain, as often things can trigger back pain that you would not even expect. I got stuck the other day standing up from a chair as I somehow (no idea how!) jerked my back or something and the pain was so bad I couldn’t move for 5 minutes!

Anyway, sorry for rambling on!! These are just my thoughts too, obviously I don’t know the whole situation and I could be way off, but its just an interesting idea that some of his back pain could be down to evolution/genetics - factors which are way beyond his control. Obviously, it is still important to look after yourself and not unnecessarily strain your back as that would also result in back pain!!

Regardless of what the cause is, back pain is a terrible thing, so I hope he is doing better and the surgery has helped!!!

Offline KRazyJess

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #137 on: August 12, 2009, 01:25:38 PM
Content deleted.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 11:55:47 AM by KRazyJess »

Offline Faestian

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • Fae's Corner
Reply #138 on: August 16, 2009, 04:14:02 AM
Thank you all for the info. Having just written an extensive article on X for a local indie magazine where I live, I knew some of the info but admit I was digging for more detailed intel. It seems it was in December 1990 that he herniated several discs in his neck, collapsing while still in LA. He had been passing out before then from a condition quoted as:
'neurocirculatory dystonia', “a disease caused by the changes in vascular tone and reactivity due to dysfunction of vasomotor centers (both central and peripheral) of congenital constitution or acquired character, caused by endogenous and exogenous risk factors.”
It is so hard to get solid reliable 'facts' here in the West and/or in Europe. That is why I am studying Japanese. As the freelnance JRock reporter for Alt: Rock Culture and Lifestyle Magazine, I think I need to learn the language so I can give more reliable coverage.   

Thanks again everyone. All my best to Yoshiki san. *rushes off to send him well wishes at other thread.*

Some ofthe info given above was gleened directly from this article: http://www.jrockrevolution.com/webzine/feature-articles/113-the-jrock-legend-x-japan.html and from http://www.psychiatry.ua/eng/eng045.htm
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 04:17:12 AM by Faestian »

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #139 on: August 16, 2009, 01:51:14 PM
Did you guys notice?
His 'last log in' date in myspace says August 15th now.
There are no blog updates or anything but I suppose if he's checking his myspace he is actually getting better? <3 <3
*happy/hopeful/yay*

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #140 on: August 16, 2009, 03:20:53 PM
It's possible that the management checked in to delete spam and accept friends requests etc.

This is my administrator color.

Offline Faestian

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • Fae's Corner
Reply #141 on: August 17, 2009, 03:14:33 PM
I would agree with Hypno, except I recall seeing an English interview with Yoshiki in 2007 where he said he was debating whether to hire staff to maintain his MySpace. When he said this, he was told by the interviewer that his fans wanted him to maintain it personally. His reaction was an exhausted sigh of defeat. Sadly, I can't seem to find these files anymore to post for everyone. It was an interview about the 3 days upcoming at Tokyo Dome in May 2008. Yoshiki san was wearing a white shirt in the interview.He had just announced in Japanese that the Tokyo Dome dates would stand, then crossed the hall to do the English interview. I had the files on my hard drive until I had to reformat. If anyone recalls these interviews and has them saved or knows where they are posted, I would love links, (if they aren't like most of Yoshiki's links now and haven't been removed for content violation.) Since that interview was in 2007 and the MySpace site is still not being consistently maintained, something tells me he took the interviewer's words to heart and he still (doesn't) maintain it himself which gives me hope he did check in in August. Just speculation on my part though.  ;D   

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #142 on: August 17, 2009, 04:21:33 PM

That interview, I guess?

Um...and yeah I kinda doubt he still takes care of it himself, unfortunately :(

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

shane140

Reply #143 on: August 17, 2009, 05:08:37 PM
i really hope he'll be ok

Offline Macha

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #144 on: August 17, 2009, 05:14:36 PM
But if the staff had been taking care of it, wouldn't there had been more frequent log ins? i mean, before this one, the last one was in the beginning of july T.T
although in the end, I'd still be really surprised if he was still taking care of it xD
anyway, I hope hes doing okay :D he really does concern me....

Offline Faestian

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • Fae's Corner
Reply #145 on: August 18, 2009, 06:04:13 AM
Yes, AsukaMiyu!That is the one, and thank you so much. Erm...did I mention I am dyslexic? Yeah, that's shirt's white...isn't it? *sigh* My brain and I have a tense living arrangement sometimes. lol.

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #146 on: August 24, 2009, 08:22:19 PM
According to JapanToday, Yoshiki revealed that "he has prepared his will given the risks involved with his spinal injuries, and that nearly one quarter of his assets will be used for the benefit of his long-term fans."

The article also talked about his health condition, stating that "... he revealed that he would have to get the disc replaced within the next three years, and that if nerve damage in his arm did not heal in the next two years, then it would be permanent. He said doctors cautioned him on his drumming practice which will resume next month, telling him not to raise his arms too high, not to twist his body left and right, and not to use anything heavier than one kilogram."

This is my administrator color.

Offline Faestian

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • Fae's Corner
Reply #147 on: August 25, 2009, 03:21:39 PM
I have read and reread this about 5 times and still am not sure how to process it. Should I be happy that he is finally taking responsible steps to set his affairs in order, or uncomfortable because of the very real chance of a 'worst case scenario' during further surgery. So difficult to absorb. And telling him what to do while drumming and having any artist do what does not come naturally during the 'high' of performing? I openly admit, I am terrified that he has decided to continue drumming and won't feel any less so until I have seen first hand that he can handle the load. Yes, I may be blowing it WAAAAY out of proportion, but until I see or hear the results of his premier concert performance post surgery, I am going to be concerned.

Blissfully happy for his long term fans, but hope they don't see those provisions for another 4 or 5 decades.

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #148 on: September 24, 2009, 01:51:05 PM
For those who are interested...

Yoshiki's showing his scar from surgery in a video that he uploaded on ustream yesterday: http://www.ustream.tv/yoshiki

Not much to see really. Hum, and I hope he's not seriouslly WORKING in his studio there? >_< Or at least not too much...? Crazy workaholics... :P
Well I hope he's already feeling better anyway!

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline Ashemanu

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #149 on: September 24, 2009, 04:10:12 PM
Well, it surely looks painful. I hope he is feeling better too, and not working too much! And maybe this scar will convince some people that the whole surgery was not some funny promotion gag, or an excuse for slacking around, or whatever. But someone will surely come up and state it´s just fingerpaint ...

/sarcasm off